Chapter 3d: A Twist and a Turnaround

"Sounds great! You are in the same position me and my friends were about a year ago when we had our first meeting with Bernhard at this very same place. Let's toast!" Japik raises his mug towards Konrad and then takes a swig from it.

"Oh and Prochorus ex Miscellanea is the name of the sodalis that was apprenticed at Lübeck. Know him?"

"I guess you have no major dislike for travelling by ship since you have been back and forth from Stonehenge at least. Our location is on an island so you have to get used to sea, water and wind. Not sure if Bernhard told you that much but I think it's safe now. You need to sign a contract by the way. That Bernhard must have told you, he is very careful about the formalities." he chuckles.

"Any questions?"

(OOC: Konrad has no clear memories of Prochorus. First, that wasn't his name during apprenticeship. Second, since Prochorus doesn't have a Gentle Gift, they weren't moving in the same circles. Konrad has some memories of an Ex Miscellanea's magus, some kind of musician whose name he doesn't remember, who had an apprentice. But he didn't like the other boy, he was creepy.)

Konrad raises his cup with Japik and toasts his acceptance into the covenant, such as it was.

"Bernhard did mention the need for a contract," he replies. "I'd expect nothing less from a Mercere magus." He makes this last comment more as a statement of fact than a criticism. "So long as there's nothing unexpected in it, I'll be happy to sign the agreement. Then I'm ready to go as soon as is convenient. There will be four of us - myself, my nephew Tom, a shield grog, and my manservant. And you're right; we're used to ships by now. There was the ship from England to Lubek, and then the ship from there to here. We're none of us bothered too much by sea voyages. In fact, my shield grog, Gerhard, will be happy about it. He grew up by the coast and has been missing it these past few years."

"I'm afraid I don't remember Prochorus, though. As I said, I was only eleven. And without any Parma but what my master occasionally shared with me, I didn't mix much with the other magi or apprentices. At that point, I frankly found them all to be a bit creepy."

"As for questions, nothing major. Mostly I'm curious about what we can get while we're here to help in the covenant. If it's on an island, there'll be a constant shortage of supplies. And I'm sure this trip will double as an opportunity to pick a few things up that the covenant needs. My means are not unlimited. But I'll be happy to help out as best I can in that respect."

OOC: I'm ready to move forward.

OOC: I just had a thought. When is this story happening in relation to where the "Heart of Stone" thread is right now? If there is something Lothar needs for the construction project that is easier or much cheaper to get on the mainland he may have asked via Tristan to buy it when Japik (and the Baltrum crew I assume) goes to Anvers. Iron tools may be such a thing for example.

(This happens in late August. Lothar arrived in April. Probably too far appart for what you have in mind.)

I think Japik and Konrad are finished with the interview. How does Bernhard want to handle the contract signing?

Bernhard swings by a few days later, from his regular route, to get the contract signed as he'd indicate to the magi that he'd do if things proceeded well.

Soon after, Konrad and Japik are on their way towards the island on the Baltrum.

(You can pick up where you want, either before you leave Anvers or when you arrive on the island, as Japik explains to Konrad where the covenant is located and what its facilities/resources are.)

Konrad will offer that he has some money if supplies need to be picked up on the mainland. In particular, if lab supplies are hard to get, they might want to see what they can get here. There might not be much. But there's bound to be more than on the island.

(We can still use this thread to roleplay Konrad's arrival in Helgeland and his tour of the covenant's facilities, such as they are.)

OOC: I'm ready to post Konrad's arrival at the docks. I just wanted to clear up what he was able to find in the way of lab supplies in Anvers. Also, picking up some parchment there is probably a good idea. If we want to do any writing, we'll need it.

(Sure, that's not a problem. Given the fact that the covenant has a ship that trades also makes it relatively easy for you all to acquire something you need, provided you plan ahead of time for the purchases to be made. In the end, it's all a matter of how much money the covenant can afford to spend on a given thing.)

OOC: Basically, Konrad would like to fill out his lab, if possible, before he leaves for Helgeland, so that he can arrive with the equipment to set up a full lab. (Not that they'll have anywhere to put it. But he doesn't know that. :slight_smile: ) And as I think about it, parchment must be included in 'lab supplies' since so much of lab work involves writing. Oh, and some fish hooks, line, and what passes for lures in those days. I'm guessing that if they're on an island, he'll have a chance to go fishing a fair bit.

Some days later, having signed Bernhard's contract and made what purchases he could in Anvers, Konrad arrives at the docks of Meden along with Japik. Accompanying him are two men in the prime of life, one clearly a soldier and one clearly not, along with a small boy of perhaps ten. Konrad has introduced them to Japik as Gerhard, his shield grog, Baldwin, his manservant, and Tom, his nephew.

"A fair way from land," he says to Japik when they disembark. "But then I'm sure that helps the covenant maintain privacy." That was putting it lightly. "I'm eager to get settled in," he adds, "and see what the covenant looks like. Can I get the tour as soon as our baggage is taken care of and the others are settled at the old inn you spoke of?"

Japik introduces his shield grog, Hjalmar to Konrad and his companions. Then they walk down to the quays where the Baltrum lies waiting to set sail for Helgeland. Japik introduces the new passengers to captain Trond and his crew of three. It will be a crowded passage this time.

Japik and Konrad sit by themselves at the bow of the ship. Japik seems impatient and keeps looking into the water over the side a few times, almost heaving himself overboard once before stopping himself.
"Yes, it's a bit off the beaten track you could say. Not many magi passing by."he responds a bit absentminded. "So that's good. You know we have a stonemason building some decent houses for us. Well one to begin with but we have plans for two. When it's all done it will be great." He turns to the Bonisagus "I'll give you a tour as soon as we get onto the island. Hjalmar and the crew can help with the baggage. I'll show you and your grogs the inn, starting to get crowded there now but there is plenty of room. Then I'll take you up on the Oberland where the oak and the covenant is. The view up there is fantastic."

Konrad offers a friendly greeting to the captain and his men, as well as to Hjalmar. He's more used to dealing with grogs than most magi, since they don't shy away from him the way they do with less gently Gifted magi. However, he and his small group do their best to stay out of the way of the sailors while they work.

"I look forward to seeing what you have in place," Konrad replies to Japik. "I understand that it's not much right now. But that will change with time. One cottage now; another after that. Soon it'll be something we can all be proud of, I'm sure."

OOC: It occurs to me that Tom might suffer from the movement of the ship. I wonder if a bonus to a Sta roll vs. seasickness would be comparable to a bonus to Recovery. That would allow the following spontaneous spell:

Lesser Ward Against Seasickness
CrCo 5
R: Touch, D: Sun, T: Ind
The target gains a +3 bonus to Sta rolls to resist seasickness for as long as he is under the influence of this spell.
(Base 2, +1 Touch, +2 Sun)

It could be cast non-fatiguing, with no words or gestures (Deft Corpus).

It's more for flavor than anything. :slight_smile:

OOC: BTW, what was Konrad able to find in the way of supplies, and what did it cost him?

(He doesn't have much silver left by the time he arrives in Anvers, and anything more he could obtain here will be more cumbersome items. So let's simply say that he got a few more items and handwave the rest.)

I'm happy with the hand waving. I just don't want to get to Helgeland and find out that if I wanted to get a lab properly outfitted, I really should have bought a few more things in Anvers (which is as large a town as we're likely to get to in a while, I imagine). Besides, anything we need from Anvers will have to be shipped anyway.

Basically I've got 3/5 of a lab and I'd like to get as close to 5/5 as I can. One of the big limitations of being on an island is that it's hard to get stuff. I want to take advantage of what's likely the last time Konrad will be in such a large settlement for quite some time.

As for cash, on hand, you said I had 5 pounds of silver. That should cover any reasonable requirements for the remaining 2/5 of a lab that Konrad could find.

(No problem, he got a number of additional items in Anvers, some a bit more cumbersome, considering that he was now travelling to his final destination.)

The two magi arrive in Helgeland... What now?

Konrad takes a moment as he disembarks to look around at the small town of Meden from the dock. "Quaint," he says to Japik. "But quiet. That can be nice." He gestures for Tom and the grogs to follow as he moves to finally set foot on the island.

"To the inn first, I presume?" he asks the other magus. "But once we're settled there and my cargo is all safely unloaded, I'm very eager to see how things are coming along up the hill. Do you think there'll be time today for someone to show me around?"

Japik orders Hjalmar to help with Konrad's and his companion's baggage then shows the Bonisagus the way to the inn.
"It's pretty nice and quiet compared to the cities on the mainland. I think you will like it here. It's even better up there. He points up towards the Oberland." Japik walks in a brisk pace through the town, then at the edge of it he stops in front of the inn. "Here it is. The inn where your grogs can stay. Take a look around then we continue upstairs. I hope you got strong legs!", he smiles at Konrad.