Chapter 4: Preparing for Autumn 1013

“We have three magi missing these past three seasons, having gone north to battle the Diedne. I intend to mount a search for them with a view to rescue. We may need to engage the enemy so I am seeking those willing and able to face the strain of battle to accompany the mission. Those less inclined to war will hopefully create a home for us to come back to, either here at Ungulus or at another site” replies Janus.

"How experienced were the missing magi? Do we know what they were up against in the North?"

‘I don’t know the answer to either of those questions. Perhaps the castellan would know more.”

I don't think it has been said, but Tacitus was training an apprentice, and Tremere magi do not do that early, referring Gifted children to their superiors instead. Thus 40-50 years out of gauntlet would be the absolute minimum. Caelha will confirm this, even though she does not know their exact ages. All three are in their best age, mature but not ancient or in any immediate danger of final twilight, so 50-75 years past gauntlet.

Thom bounds into the room smelling a bit of goats and the waters along the lake near Ungulus.

"New arrivals?!"

The young blond magus looks about the gathered people and smiles.

"Hello there! I'm Thom Myddleton ex Merinita. Glad to see so other survivors."

He nods with passing familiarity to Eahlstan. "Has anyone let Adrien know you all have come?"

1 Like

Covenant in spe updated. I searched and found this. It talks of "two superb longswords". Are we down to one instead of two, and did they have any quality bonus?

On hearing this information, Cath'rinne replies "I could help scout perhaps and other assorted supports, but I'm not confident in my ability to fight off a group that may have defeated them if the investigation points in that direction."

"Betula, what do you think?" she asks. "Also are any of you a quaesitor? I'm looking for one who traveled between here and Castrum Antiquum in the past few months."

Thom looks over at Cath'rinne, his bounce of energy fading quickly.

"If you're referring to Master Luciu... died."

The young man looks down to the ground, not meeting anyone's gaze.

The two superb longswords were found by Rubellius, and if he picked them up in the first place, I think he kept them when he left the group. He found them near the middle of th battlefield. If you refer to swords found in Diana's group, they are unrelated. She was near the end of the battlefield. Rubellius did not have time to survey the entire field, and anything not in her group would have been looted by others before Cath'rinne came.

A bit late to the meeting, Adrien meekly enters the room to see the gathering of people he has yet to meet
after a bit of a surprise he introduces himself to everyone

Greatings sodales. My name is Adrien of House Bonisagus, a specalist on the subject of human body and healing. I am not quite sure how I managed to miss you before, seeing as there is not much place for privacy here.

He pauses and looks at Janus before continuing

We're still planning on going trough with that expedition, correct? I of course will accompany you in this endevour, although I am not much of a fighter as you might guess, still if there is fighting I am not entirely useless.

Thom's smile returns when Adrien comes into the room, growing even warmer as he looks around the group. The young Merinita remembers the earliest days of his apprenticeship before the War when more than one or two magi gathered. Maybe there is reason to hope again!

Thom stands behind a chair in this impromptu council room and grins.

"I suppose we should call this meeting to order, right? Since we have what might be called a quorum of mages. Though I guess that assumes we've got a common purpose and that might be a big presumption on my part." The bouncy blond fellow smiles again.

"So… Uh… I don't know about the rest of you but I was always kind of under the impression that we mages do our best work when we can settle down in a safe place. I've not felt that since my gauntlet. Do you… Do you all plan to find a place to rebuild a covenant?"

1 Like

Betula laughs at Janus' reference to the time as an apprentice she hit him square in the forehead with a rock. A terrible memory made light with the passage of time. A wry smile crosses her lips, "You have little to worry about from me, sodales, I do not throw rocks these days... much."

She listens to the others. Her hands often going to her belly.

"That is exactly what I plan to do," her hands unconsciously moving to her stomach again before she moves them away, "I plan to rest here some then perhaps I and..." looking to Cath'rinne, "some others would be able to seek out new sites that might be appropriate for a new covenant. I feel a need to find a new home, to form one... I, I have not introduced myself and there are many new faces. I am Betula of Criamon. While I began my apprenticeship at the same covenant as Janus, Castellum Veridian, early in The Troubles my pater, Vineus, and I went to The Cave of Twisting Shadows to wait out the storm. I am not interested in this search. It is not where my skills lie, nor my needs in the near future so seeking a place to call home will be what I will do before... for a season, no more I don't think. Winter would be a bad time for travel anyway" She looks around expectantly at the rest of the room, hoping they did not catch her slip.

2 Likes

Possible. Let's ignore Rubellius's sword, then, because I'm trying to figure out whether I should note down something about the quaesitor's sword, from the below quote.

You're not outlining that it's magical. Does it have quality?

"I'm awfully sorry to hear that. I understand he received the Chief Quaesitor's testimony before his death. Did he have the chance to pass it on to your group before he trespassed?"

If answered negatively, Cath'rinne will ask "I know he was part of your group... would you be okay if I contacted him via Whispers through the Black Gate before his spirit moves on from this world?"

"We came to the isles with the hopes of finding a good place to settle down, yes. I think there is strength in numbers. If you're of a like mind, perhaps we may join forces." she says that looking at the others as well as looking at Thom.

Cath'rinne and Turold seem oblivious. She chimes in after Betula. "I understand your priority, sister. I'm torn because I'd like to help with the search and rescue... yet how we decide to found a covenant is too important a decision for me to ignore. And we came here together."

Betula gives a meaningful look to Cath'rinne, somewhere between relief and pleading that no more be said about it. Then, opening up her gaze to the rest of the room, "perhaps two parties then... One searching for the missing, one for a place to call home. But we should discuss our needs and wants in a covenant site. With folks like this... witchhunter about, it must be defensible, hidden, maybe. A magical regio would be that, could be that, and I think we should hope to find such a site. I would feel most at home in a forest, at least nearbone would definitely be preferred... but, did I speak too soon? Are we all decided that working together, strength in numbers as Cath'rinne says, is the way forward? We are all young as Magi go, yes, even you Janus. Do we want to form an alliance, a covenant?"

"He did leave behind a number of things and his travel chest," answers Thom. "You could look in his things. He might have something there of interest." The young Merinita shrugs.

"Honestly I think Master Luciu wouldn't mind you talking to him," says Thom quietly to Cath'rinne. "I only knew him a short time… since we met near Castruum…. Near the Wall. If it would help the Order, I think you should talk to him."

He looks around the group.

"Unless someone else has an objection?"

Thom smiles at Betula's suggestion but waits for others to answer.

It is not magical. The helmet and the seashell are. The sword is nothing special. The PQ was found near Diana, by Luciu, as the grogs can confirm.

It is almost night when a trio of travellers approach the gates of Ungulus. The apparent leader carries a staff, something at the top catching the light of the disappearing sun as he calls out a greeting. His two companions, a man and a woman, are dressed in furs and each carry a short spear.

"Hello there! Is this Ungulus?" The call is in Latin, but also repeated in English.

1 Like

Ealhstan's sharp ears catch the commotion out the window, he says, "keep having your meeting, I'll make sure this new arrival is taken care of or sent on his way." And he disappears at a quick pace down the stairs.

Jogging towards the edge of the covenant, "I can't invite you in but I can welcome you. Unsure where the guards are," as he looks around, "probably Ben snuck off for a bite and Alder is napping under a bush again. I'm Ealhstan and you are at Ungulus. What sort of business bring you?"

"Well met, Ealhstan. I am Thadeus and these are my grogs, Sasso and Telsa. I am just arrived back in Stonehenge, to... well, help defend my sodales against the Diedne. I heard this was the place to come."