Chapter 4: Preparing for Autumn 1013

"Many reasons it would not detect them, I think,' says Thadeus, counting on his fingers. "They are dead, They are in an Aegis. They are in a regio. They have been turned to pigs."

He shrugs, "But it would tell us something, even if that something is nothing."

"Won't a man turned into a pig also be affected by the Art of Corpus?" Betula asks the Pralician. "I would be happy to help by attempting to cast the spell from the tablet, I have some facility with both the Arts involved. Do we have an arcane connection to any of the soldiers? Can one be found? A map of the area north of The Wall?"

[OOC: yes they will, by RaW, except for Heartbeast as far as I am aware]

[Edited to add offer to cast Inexorable Search.]

«An arcane connection? What could that be after all this time. Everybody would have taken their cherished possessions with them, and a strand of hair or well-used clothing that we could possibly find, would have expired after all these months.» Caelha looks like she is pondering the question deeply, without success. «Do you have any ideas what we could look for? The magi did not plan for this, and have not left me anything willingly.»

"Blood from a bandage in an infirmary? A lock of hair given to a maid by a soldier who leaves for the battlefield to be kept in a necklace? The broken half of a sword which was repaired before the soldier left again?"

«Why would they keep bloody bandages? Well, there is no harm in asking the chirurgeon. A lock to a sweetheart is possible of course. I wouldn't know. Do you want to ask around yourself?»

When you investigate, you find that all old bandages are thrown away, burnt, or cleaned with sufficient care to ruin an arcane connection. If you ask around with the maids, it takes Com+social skill 9+ to have luck. Only one person, one roll, and Gift penalties apply if you do it yourself.

"Ugh... no. Talking to unfamiliar mundanes isn't my thing."

"I can do that. But they don't know me. They might not want to answer. But I will try." (Edit: Low die roll, so no luck for him.)

Nauvi ex Tytalus takes the time to introduce himself.
"Greetings sodales. I came as soon as I had word of where you would be meeting. I have been hiding in the towns of Mercia, keeping well away from the war. Sadly, Mercia is becoming increasingly unsafe for those studying magic, even gently Gifted people like myself. I have brought a couple of shield grogs and the sole summa I own, hoping to find a covenant I can settle in. How may I help?"

1 Like

Ealhstan sneaks out of the room as soon as there is mention of Arcane Connections and heads downstairs and out to the washer women who he has even helped with the wash on a few occassions. "Pardon me, but do any of you know of a woman with a sweetheart who has been missing all this time? Away with the Soldiers? The magi are hoping to find the army and it could be of great service to those ends, perhaps someone with a lock hair from their love?"

[Com + Charm + Confidence pt + die result if 4 = 8 if Ealhstan get any situational bonus among the grogs of Ungulus for being helpful for weeks, influding helping with "women's work" like washing (I did describe this previously before going ro Carlisle).]

Hamish looks over at Janus, brow furrowed as he sorts a memory or two.

"There used to be a covenant down Galloway way… I think it was called Wicker Hill. I'm guessin' its been abandoned at this point but you never know. When I came south last spring, I couldn't find much tell of it. But it could be a place to look into. Staging area or prison, maybe? If I remember right, it was all stone buildings and such. Natural stone not worked stone."

The soldier shrugs to Janus, looking at the others before he steps back into the shadows at the edge of the room..

"Galloway Forest and those hills and lakes up that way gotta have some of the things you in the Order seek, I'm guessin'."

While some in the group are looking for arcane connections, Cath'rinne will approach Caelha to ask where she can find the remains of the Quaesitor Luciu. Once she has found him, possibly after opening the grave if he has been put in the ground, she will cast Whispers through the Black Gate. "My name is Cath'rinne ex Bjornaer. I understand you're Quaesitor Luciu ex Guernicus. I'm with the magi you came with to Ungulus. What can you tell me that the Chief Quaesitor has transmited to you before he passed on?"

The Presiding Quaesitors did not tell me anything; he was already dead when I found him, and I buried him in the little hamlet where we stayed West of Castruum Antiquum. Maybe his possessions give a clue; I never had time to investigate. His diary is badly burnt, but he had a magical seashell, and I think the helmet must be his talisman. That's all I know; honestly. Be careful; people here fear us, and accuses of every possible crime without the slightest hint of evidence.

"He did not say anything regarding investigations, the Diedne, or the defenses he left behind in his tower?"

He did not say anything at all. He was dead! What tower? Maybe you can get some clues from the diary, if you have ample time to study it. I suppose that's were he recorded his investigations. It is a pity it was burnt. I think he must have fallen to a pilum or something like that.

Rolled a 4 on Int+Magic Lore to have an idea whether she thinks a ghost might perceive receiving the final rites as leaving the ghost with the impression he left his notes and secrets with the young men. I figure she's not sure with a check like that, and thinks either of them is lying to her.

"Very well. Perhaps we have a misunderstanding. Why did you come to these islands, and what do you know of the Diedne presence herein?"

I was supposed to find the presiding quaesitoris and help clean up after the War. Well. It did not quite work out.

You are right that a roll of 4 should not give any more information. Since she is not a folk kenner either, I won't suggest other ways to read between the lines either.

"What do you mean by clean up?"

See to it that the Code is upheld, mostly, and make sure that malevolent secrets are not passed into the wrong hands.

"Do you believe that has occurred at this point? Is there anything you'd like to share with your sodales, or the Order?"

I have nothing to share; I never really got started. The others can tell you about the events over the last months; Edwin, Janus, and Thomas.