Chapter 4: The new spring

David comes out of the tower for the first time in months, his clothing covered in dust. He blinks a few times, dazzled by the spring sun, before casting a spell to make his eyes less sensitive to bright light [color=blue] Spont MuCo 4 Base 2, +2 Sun and heading down to join the festivities.

After his introduction to the Bonisagus Aelianus turns to Eric the Redcap. [color=red]Most welcome here redcap, have you been properly taken care of? I hope that our servants have treated you with the respect that a magus deserves. Do you have anything interesting from the world outside to tell us? Aelianus and his faithful though furry companion look at the redcap with interest.

He has much news for you! I know nothing of the Norman Tribunal, but he gives us all the current information a magus should resonably know. I'll come up with some stuff tonight.

And right about now would be a good time for Okeanos and his family-to-be to make a splash (har har har!). This will cause quite a curious scene! More on the Havamand and current events tomorrow!

at the festival
Jan Axel is Playing the drums and having a good time :slight_smile:

Marcello and Carlos look at each other, thend decide to play a flamenco and see if Jan Axel can keep up.

Roberto asks Iolar to dance.

[color=green]Betty VanHalen(to Veronica): [color=red] Oh, the boys stole a fishing boat. Johan and Fred are dropping off Reginald and Ulrich in London to pick out a bigger ship to steal

Okeanos
By the way, Octchall has the ability to alter his bizarre appearance. He looks kind of like the Sub-Mariner right now. I should have mentioned that :smiley: He still looks strange though.
Anyway…
He introduces himself, proclaims peace between the Order of Hermes and the Order of Triton, and announces that his daughter shall wed the Magus Okeanos to symbolize this. He has already set the date for you, well, because he is the father. Midsummer, at the Temple of Nehalennia (aka Sea Dog’s Chapel). He also broght a bunch of prawns and other fish that are being serve at the festival, because food always makes a good gift. And it is not faerie food. The Bonisagus guy checked it out. He’s got Intellego powers.

And then Dorala also decided to show up. She has the power to transform her tail into legs, but she still cannot be out of water for more than an hour or so. She presents Lucy with a gift, a necklace of pearls that gives her the same power. Upon her wedding night, she will gain the power herself and will not need the pearls.

Aelianus and Wirth
While talking with Sylvain Ex Bonisagus and Eric the Redcap, the two of them work out a deal between them and in turn want to work out a deal with you. Eric has a compatriot in his House who offers a Subscription Service, whereas Sylvain Ex Bonisagus has aspirations on being a great Hermetic author (Com +3, Good Teacher). He has written a Tractatus on Intellego called The Eye’s Mind. He has two copies on hand (Well Scribed and Flap Bound, Quality 9 Intellego Tractatus). One is a present for Wirth. He gives the other to Eric the Redcap to be submitted for distribution.

The subscription service costs four pawns of vis per year (or fifty pounds of silver), and delivers one tractatus per season. These each are upon an Art or an Arcane Ability, and at least one per year is a newly written manuscript that the service has never before distributed.

Sylvain suggests “why not do the same with grimoires?” (as far as I am concerned, a Grimoire is the amount of spells you can transcribe in a season according to your Latin score). So the two of them want to go into business together. They also ask if you guys want to help. Sylvain says that for every Grimoire you provide him, he will exchange it for one of equal value. Eric says that he can provide you with a scribe to assist you making copies

[color=red]Sounds interesting, Aelianus takes a short breath, [color=red]though I have to say that the crafting of magical items are more of my kind of work. Perhaps you would like to be given a tour of my studio and we can discuss some business later? I have some items that I am sure would be interesting to you both.

They shrug their shoulders, and of course they are interested. Sylvain has a new idea, enchantment folios (same as a spell grimoire, but for enchantment lab texts). But anyway, let's see what you got. Eric can be your advertising agent.

Aelianus and Diodorus leads the two guests away to the top of the grey tower.[color=red] Soldaes the two top floors of this tower are my studio, sanctum and laboratory. I would show you my laboratory but I know that there are some magi who don’t feel comfortable with venturing into the sanctum of another. But now here are the studio. Aelianus opens up the door into the studio and a room covered in state of the art decorations and ornaments unveil. Every item have a distinct Roman feel about it.

Once everyone enters the chamber are warm fresh breeze can be felt and the chamber is illuminated in a warm light. [color=red]Upon this pedestal is the item that generates this rather pleasant warmth and fresh air. Aelianus shows a wooden figurine of a sylpf in a dramatic pose. The sylph is sculptured in such away that it could easily delay a lonely magus gaze for a little too long. [color=red]Over here you have a wand, handy in confrontations. In a rack upon another pedestal a wand lays. It is shaped like a roman pillar though in miniature and it’s base is covered in Verditi runes. [color=red]Over here you can se a tool that is good for any magus who wishes to dwell into the the art of herbam or perhaps even intellego. Aelianus shows a bowl with a broad brim that where Roman legends and myth are depicted, every myth have some connection to the forest. It the ceiling you see yet another of my inventions.[color=red] I know it is a common item amongst Verditi but you can’t deny it’s value. Aelianus gestures towards the wooden spheres that are suspended from the ceiling and covers the room with a gentle light, just enough to allow comfortable reading. [color=red]I am only in the starting of my craft but more will come I have spent a lot of time on my familari here, Diodorus, Aelianus gestures towards his furry companion, and on improving my laboratory.[color=red] Care for some wine? I had it imported from the Rihne tribunal. It is amongst Peter von Würzburgs Ex Verditius finest. Aelianus gestures towards a set of luxourious chairs and a table upon which there stands a wine bottle and a few goblets.

Aelianus
:laughing:, Roberto would be totally interested in your sylph and hermetic disco ball for his own lab! Syl likes the sylph, and he actually wants to oder one. He has a magical lantern and thaumaturgical regulator in his lab. Eric the Redcap is impressed that you have such a nice studio for such a young magus (ten years is still a pup, lol). He then talks to you about a Verditius magus he knows in the Confraternity of Maximo. His name is Alphonse and he just gauntleted an apprenticed named Duronicus. He is looking for someone to be the first mystagogue for Duronicus instead of himself, and in return will serve as mystagogue to whomever does this. Eric was asked to put the word out.

In the mean time, you guys are enjoying the good life of a sophisticated Hermetic, discussing the Lore of Hermes and practical magical matters, sipping excellent wine from the Rhine.

Havlard
Dragor has a private matter he would like to discuss with you. You had once made mention of the Wild Hunt, and that you participate in it. When does this occure, and how will it affect him? He is worried that, as a werewolf, he will get drawn into it.

Come to think of it, what is your relation to the Wild Hunt? Halvard is the most secretive and mysterious magus at this covenant!

David
That damn pirate corpse keeps playing tricks on you. You could swear sometimes it isn’t in the same position you propped him up in, and sometimes it sounds like he is wandering the maze at night. But he is a tireless worker and pretty strong.

Upon seeing you in dirty clothing, Dragor has Colijne take you and fix you up purty real quick like. Your ceremonial robes are all cleaned and ready (you wear your work clothes in the lab I am guessing).

Bits and pieces from assorted legends mainly celtic or Russian, with an emphasis on the gory bits which children seem to enjoy and brave heroes outwitting nasty faerie monsters like Baba Yaga or the Formori

[color=red]Thank you for your concern, I am fine it is just a bit of a shock to recieve a letter from anyone. I had assumed Marrissa was dead she was ancient before I got lost. I only met her once at the gathering when I became a Bjornear and we did not speak much . She is a bit eccentric and I am suprised she has noticed I am alive
(Spell MuIg 4, +1 reach +1 conc casting Mu 4+Ig 8 +3 puissant ignem +6 aura without using doodgy diedne stuff it is easy enougth to cast , she uses duration performance rather than concentration and is essentially singing the stories as she is a bard and knows many ballads of such song)

Iolar accepts with obvious pleasure

[color=red]If you have the vis then take this one right here. Aelianus gestures towards the Sylph figurine. [color=red]I will just be a cost of six pawns. But if you wish to wait I can under stand. Perhaps you Eric can find a buyer or two for a similar piece. It is well within my efforts to make three of these in a season. Aleianus turns to Sylvian.[color=red] If vis is not your preferred way of paying for such an artefact then perhaps we can come to another agreement. I am open to suggestions.

Dragor catches Havlard sitting on a broken wall eating an apple and watching the dancing. Dragor gets straight to the point. No need to beat around the bush. After a short introduction to make sure it was alright he asks about the Wild Hunt.
[color=red]
Dragor: Is it true that you have ridden with the Wild Hunt?
Havlard: Yes. And I will again.

D: When will it occur?
H: Soon. May Eve. You might know it as Walpurgisnacht.

D: What will you do?
H:(grinning) Ride with the Hunt.

D: Will it effect me. ((Tells Havlard what he is)).
H: (looking at Dragor for a moment) Yes.

D: what can I do?
H: Join the Hunt. It is glorious.

D: But what if I do not want to join?
H: When you hear the Huntsman's horn your blood will pull you to the Hunt.

D: I will be locked in a room. chained to a wall. I can not risk hurting a Magi.
H: (pausing to throw the apple core into the field) That will work once. You will have a hard time letting them do it to you again. It is in your blood.

Dragor is actually okay with the riding with the hunt as long as he is with you. He will of course defer to David's judgement, but if you think it will be okay he is inclined to believe you.

Books! He will gladly trade you books for Items, vis, money, or other books. He has access to very many books. Not in tip top shape, ex-libris editions from Durenmar, Andorra, and Doisettep.

I would not trust Havlard when he rides with the Hunt. But he will warn everyone. Magi and Covenfolk.

But would he tell that to Dragor? It seems like Havlard is trying to paint a Romantic picture of the hunt, and it is appealing to Dragor's unseelie nature.

In the meantime, Roberto and Iolar dance a fiery flamenco!

Havalrd thinks it is ok because he thinks the Hunt is fun. It is quite deadly to humans who get caught in it. Basicly, Havlard and Dragor will get a +3 Cruel personality trait that night.

[color=green]Wirth[color=red]
Alieanus.
This is sylvain ex miscellanea. An old friend of clara and I. He came to visit us a few days. See if we were fine

Well... Sylvain has drank some wine, and is clearly cheerfull now. You can be a bonisagus and like good things from time to time, no? Anyway, he goes to congratulate Aleanus on Novus Mane, and enquire about the library. From this, he goes on to talk about anything, the man seems knowledgeable on a lot of things, but also both very talkative and slightly pedantic. How could he have became friends with Wirth??? :open_mouth: Unless its the alcohol?

When he can, Wirth will speak with Eric the Redcap.[color=red]
Excuse me for a moment? I'd like to talk to you about something.
Wirth seems disturbed, this is difficult for him
[color=red]Sigh... You see her, don't you?
looks towards clara, emotion clearly visible on his face, a very unusual sight[color=red]
So beautiful, so heartbreaking. And yet, she'll age and die. I... I can't accept this, I must do everything in my power to keep her by my side, and then more. I can't live without her, and I won't. I don't intend to die either :imp: More confident now, looking eric in the eyes
[color=red]I ask you a great boon now. In your travels, you may hear rumors, encounter magi or spirits that may help me to keep her alive. I heard some merinita can bind faeries as familiars. Maybe someone has found a way to bind a human companion instead? I dunno. But whatever you can bring me, I shall be gratefull for.

Oh, well, able or not, he'll play! Maybe he'll be late, and they'll slow down untill he keeps up, or he'll go too fast and will have to wait... Whatever, just enjoy the party! :smiley:

:smiley: Clara is clearly happy at this prospect. She's a gentle soul, and like both happy stories and love stories. She even goes as far as to congratulate the strange okeanos, and kiss lucy in the process, before looking at her husband with a joyfull look.
And wirth? Well, he's fine, thanks :smiley:

And pedantic paranoia powers, too. He does all a speech about how one should be really carefull with faerie food. In fact, there's this story about this magus who thought himself so powerfull, and... He then tells all a story about a cocky magi. Luckily, he's a rather good orator, so it's ok (and the children seems fascinated by the tale), but still, won't he stop!

[color=green]
Wirth
[color=red]:smiley: Thank you, sylvain.
shake hands[color=red]
I have nothing to offer you in return, save my thanks. As always, though, you know you can count on me if need be

About he grimoire deal
[color=red]Very good idea. Everyone'll profit from it. Together, we shall be stronger than apart. Of course, you know my specialties :smiling_imp:

[color=red]Perhaps a few vis to cover the production cost and then some laboratory text for the construction of magical items? As you mentioned previously regarding grimoires. Though I have interest in formulatic spells as well. Now Eric do you think that there is an interest amongst other magi to have a similar sylph? Six pawn a piece. Oh and mention to your veriditius contact that I could be a mystagogue for Duronicus, if needed.I would be an honour to aid in the moulding of a young magi.

Aelianus & Wirth
I presume Wirth accompanies you to the arlor, well, because Sylvain is Wirth’s friend. It is also a good exercise for you. You need to learn etiquette :wink: You can't exclude the guy that introduced you. So this unfortunately won’t be one of those situations where Aelianus gets to make arbitrary sweeping decisions that dramatically affect everyone without consulting anyone. What you do with your magic item trade is your sole discretion, but Sylvain is going to keep talking to Wirth about his Grimoire exchange idea.

But still, he really likes the Sylph, and he wants it now, and you have him in a bind. At least that’s the way you are reading him with your Per 0 & Folk Ken 2 (magi). He already gave his best book to you as a gift, because he is really eager to spread his name as a young aspiring author. He claims to have access to these mighty and famous libraries. You don’t know if that is true or not, but he does have two additional books with him. He offers you in trade for the Sylph the following tome:

[i]The Eye of Agamotto[/i]
Mentem Summa; Level 7, Quality 12
Author: Tressa of Tremere (Com +3, Mentem 20)
Features: Well Bound, Well Scribed, Well Illustrated

It’s from the Andorra collection, and he figures such a high quality book is easily a worthy trade for the Sylph.

The other one is not for trade at any price. He invested quite a bit in making a copy of this humble tractatus, copied from the original at Andorra. It is a historically famous tractatus, and he is very proud to show it off to you.

[i]The Trial of Apollo[/i]
Ignem & Oder of Hermes Lore/Code of Hermes Tractatus: Quality 12 & 6/6
Author: Joseph of Flambeau (Com +2, Good Teacher)
Gloss by Syl of Bonisagus (Com +3)
Features: Well Bound, Well Scribed, Well Illustrated, Gloss
History: A Masterpiece, in which Joseph uses a didactic dialectic to teach the Art of Ignem through the tale of a fictitious magus named Apollo Magnus. In the tale, Apollo is placed on trial at tribunal for his exceedingly war like ways. In the telling of his deeds, Apollo describes his use of the Art of Ignem. In the end, Apollo is found innocent of the most grievous accusations, and many of his other actions were either justified or petty. His is fined vis for the petty offenses, and comes away with a deep sense of contemplation and a resolve to be more prudent in the future.
This book constitutes the bulk of two tractati, and it takes two seasons to study it thoroughly for a total of 24 experience points; 12 in Ignem, and 6 each in Order of Hermes Lore and Code of Hermes. As a more precise breakdown (to apply specific Virtues and Flaws), treat the book as a Quality 12 tractati that can be studied twice. Each time it is studied, half of the experience points are applied to Ignem, and the other half are split evenly between the other two abilities (and I count half points, so keep track).

Why do I show you such things just to say you can’t have them? To tease you. And to bait you. It’s an old DM’s trick. If you cooperate with Syl’s proposition of some sort of scribal hospitality arrangement, such treasures and more can be yours. However, be mindful that it is basically opening you up to strangers to come and visit you all the time. Not only is this a constant potential story hook, it could really inconvenience you in many other ways, so maybe it is best to work through agents :wink:

Iolar
Truth be told, neither you nor Roberto know how to dance formally at all. You go on pure Dexterity (we each have +1 :slight_smile: ). The Flamenco is a passionate and fiery dance. It is the perfect cover for Roberto to speak to you quietly
[color=green]Roberto of Flambeau: [color=red]That letter, whomever you said it was from, such a very unusual reaction. Your ways are strange and exotic, Aquila de la Sol. You ideas about magic, your strange behavior. You are the only survivor of a covenant of elder magi, spent many years lost in a faerie woods yet you did not age. Do you not think that is odd? Iolar, I know your Dark Secret!

gasp!! (dip and dramatic pause)

[color=red]You’re really a faerie imposter, aren’t you? Just like Quendalon. Don’t worry, your secret is safe with me. Roberto is actually just teasing you. You are Infamous, and you did act strange about the letter. He figured a joke might lighten your mood.