Chapter 4: The new spring

Iolar is somewhat nervous around faeries , no matter how freindly they seem to be. Although within the Aegis she feels somewhat more confident as their powers should be hampered and she is unlikely to vanish into a regio.
She does make small talk and will relax a bit ,she certainly isn't going to start discussing other magi or her private opinions of them but it is easily evident from the way she talks about them when they crop up in covnersation that she does not care for David and is very reticent to discuss Roberto and refuses to be drawn cleary indicating that she has more than a casual interest. She is very careful not to voice opinions of Okeanos beyond praising his magical prowess and other non comittal topics

Iolar

Very slick! This is exactly what I was doing, giving Iolar the opportunity to speak one way or the other :slight_smile:

David & Havlard
Okay, Dragor was not howling at the moon. He excused himself to go take a leak and got stung by a bee. Yep. He is back now, and he informs you it is time for everyone to re-do their Parma Magica (as the sun is setting), and the Council Meeting shal commence shortly.

Aelianus & Wirth Wrap it up guys! Is it Deal or No Deal with the book trade? Eric the Redcap asks if Aelianus has the magical reign for Santiago, as he has the rest of the vis to pay him.

Ulrich You wonder why the VanHalens have so much glassware and wierd junk in their basement, and how come their is a dooor behind a door. But that isn't the point, hurry man hurry!

But hurry slowly...

[color=green]Wirth[color=red]
So, we're ok with the book trade service.
We'll just have to see if the other magi want to share in it. It'll impact on what we do and how we do it. But it's a great thing.

About this sylph... Oh, well, I don't care, it's your deal. handwave

Sylvain? His wealth resides more in books and knowledge than in vis. He could of course trade books for vis for sylph, but this'd be such a waste of time! He's very disappointed.

Everyone

The sun has set. Time to redo your Parma and get into the council meeting :smiley:

Aelianus suggest then that they trade the sylph for the book.[color=red] It where a suggestion, the book deal that you have suggested is fair and I’ll take it. I’ll assume that the deal takes place. But soldaes we have a council meeting that awaits us and as leader of this covenant I must attend. Aelianus walks with the others towards the exit of the chamber. Diodorus yawns and jumps up on a pillow, folding himself to a furry ball. Aelianus conducts parma ritual before he exits the studio.

As they pass down the stairs to the council chamber Aelianus gloats to himself he has singlehandedly struck two deals that will aid in the restoration of his beloved covenant. First the deal with the longevity potion and second the book that will fit nicely into the library collection. And for all this glory he did not have to toil in the dirt like a peasant, sure he needs to do two seasons of work to do the longevity ritual and then a second to further improve the glory of the studio. But still it is magical work not dragging his feet in the dirt. Aelianus continues to smile to himself all the way to the council chamber.

[color=green]Wirth
Everything's fine, sylvain and alieanus have struck a deal about the sylph, we have this book subscription going on, that's good.

I re-do my parma. Check to see Clara. Smile when seeing her, my heart warming somewhat then. Oh, well... I just go and kiss her :laughing:
Now, time to go to this council meeting. I kiss goodbye to my love, and follow Alieanus into the chamber.
And then, a thought... One last look... I must do something. I can't let her die. I won't ever be able to live without her. Sigh... Putting aside these thoughts, I walk forward with confidence and resolution.

[color=green]Iolar

Iolar settles her mind back on business and heads towards the council chamber . This place is starting to feel more like a home but still nothing quite seems real.

Seeing Clara and Wirth together Iolar smiles, it's so romantic and warms her heart.

[color=green]Havlard:

Havlard makes his way to the Council chamber and takes a seat. His is troubled by the interest that some of the Magi have shown in the Wild Hunt.

[color=blue] "who was that idiot Merinita at Cad Gadu who just had to come along...Ricardus...Rametta...Robertus. Yes, Robertus! The fool. If he was such a pain in the ass to begin with, I might have been brought before the Tribunal. As it was I was asked to leave right after my Gauntlet. Never found all the parts"

A small smile is on his face as he greets his soldaes as they enter.

Aelianus takes residence at his grand chair at the end of the council table. I’ll assume that the magi are alone.

[color=red]Soldaes I have extrordinaty news for our covenant. I have secured a deal with Walter the merchant. In exchange for a longevity potion he will lower our interest costs with 15 pounds of silver each year. He has supplied me with 150 pounds of silver and a 100 more to come once the ritual is complete.

In the morning I will set forces in movement to build us a fishing fleet and new homes for fishermen that we recruit in the nearest port. We will easily build a fishing fleet of at least forty vessels and homes that will show that we are a covenant that has re-emerged from the ashes of winter and born again into the spring. As a praise of our good fortune I will also commission the construction of a statue dedicated to Neptune down at the harbour. Once this project is complete we can look forward to days when our toiling in laboratories for silver are over, we restore our honour as magi.

Furthermore I have sold of one of my artefacts in exchange for this book. Aelianus presents the book he bought. [color=red]This tome will be a contribution to our library. Yes my soldaes the gods smile upon us and this is a night to remember. Aelianus raises his cup.

Aelianus’ smug satisfaction about not getting dirty is very amusing and entertaining :smiley: The Sylph/Book deal was most wise. The other arrangement, well, I will let you wallow in smugness for a while before I play that card.

Roberto is very much a gentleman and keeps many opinions to himself. One of which, and he never ever speaks this, is that he thinks Wirth is foolish for having married so young. Romantic relationships are a liability. If you want to sire progeny and get that out of the way quickly before starting on Longevity, he can understand that. True love? He is unsure about it. People die oh so easily. “Ad Mortem Incurre”.

Oh yeah! I forgot! Um, my books are at home and so is the note I made. I will edit this and correct it later. Havlard also received a letter from Eric the Redcap, but he saves reading it until just now. It is from your parens Culhwch. It seems that Thorbrand Finnson has joined the Order of Hermes and is prosecuting Culhwch for having stolen his apprentice (you). Stonhenge regional tribunals are a year off, 1222 is the next one. Culhwch hops that you will come speak to his defense, as that nasty Thorbrand was just gonna sacrifice you to his dark gods anyway.

[color=green]Robberto: [color=red]Hear hear! (Raises his goblet in praise)

[color=green]Roberto: [color=red] Concerning this idea for a statue, well, first of all I thing we should hire a magical sculptor, exchange library privileges for the artists work. That way we save money and vis. Second, um, I don’t know about this Neptune idea of yours. Maybe something with a more universal appeal? I have heard the locals speak of Saint Helena that supposedly protects sea travelers. The take a rock, see, say a prayer and then put their mark on it. As the boat departs shore, the toss the rock into the water, make a wish and a promise to do something simple; like give to the poor, feed someone who is hungry, stuff like that. It’s quaint and local. A statue of Saint Helena would be more appropriate. :smiley:

[color=green]Wirth
[color=red]We should also think about our pirate vessels :smiling_imp:

About the statue... Why waste ressources on such a thing? We have more pressing matters for the moment.

[color=green]Roberto: [color=red]And I am unsure about this "40 fishing boats" idea. Maybe we should start with four. See where it takes us.

And what's the deal with this financial arrangement you speak of? I mean, if it really is as good as you say, then bravo! But I am dissapointed you did not conference with us. This is a decision that affects us all. Sworn covenant mates that we are, our debts and fortunes are shared somewhat. I really think you should have conferenced with us first. And the deal sounds a little suspicious. Did you read the fine print?

(Aelianus did not read the document closely at all, otherwise he would have read the fine print that says "grab your ankles").

[color=red]A statue of Neptune seems a fine idea, it never hurts to avoid getting on his wrong side but as many of our covenfolk are at least nominal christians there is merit to the idea of Roberto as well although I am not sure a statue is appropriate to Christian gods. Perhaps a chapel outside of town to this saint would help us placate the local deities as well.

It would seem Aelinius's agreement is no problem as he has committed his time rather than that of the other mages and so it will cause us few problems .

On a similar subject I still owe the covenant a service for this year and If I am to assist with the mercantile endeavors I will need to know what it is we need to do

Aelianus sighs, [color=red]Of course I could have conferred with my soldaes if this deal where an effect of communal labour. This deal is an arrangement between me and this merchant Walter. And as such the silver I have earned is a result of my upcoming craft. And yes the deal regarding our interest payment will affect us all but if needed we cancel the deal and that is as soon as that merchant does not suit our purpose. I have an arcane connection here to that merchant. Aelianus unveils the lock of hair. [color=red]Dragor provided me with it and I have not tried out if it does work, but I will. The mystical arts will help us control the merchant if he gets out of line. I have also in my mind an item that will help us in keeping control of certain key persons such as this Walter. The sooner we can start to get a reliable source of mundane income then we can give up this merchants deal a guide our own path to glory. If we start by getting a large fishing fleet we can get to this future faster. Forty houses and forty fishing vessels and a large statue crafted to excellence will cost only about 70 pounds of silver, perhaps we can throw in an extra ten pounds in the sum and order the construction of a roman bath or a public bathhouse for our covenfolk.

Regarding this statue to Neptune. I follow the old gods and as such I wish to honour them as they have granted me both my gift and this silver. As such I think not that it is a waste of silver but an honourable project that is worth to spend some silver on. Regarding a chapel for the follower of the new god. I have not give thought to such an construction. First of all it will seep our power if it slowly spreads its aura and second of all the covenfolk have prayed in their homes and I have heard no complaints regarding that matter so I see no reason that they could not continue that way. If needed sometime in the future we can construct a chapel but then we must handle the priest so that he does not become a problem.

Regarding other religious matters, I have toyed with the idea to let someone who is well versed in the way of the Roman gods to start performing rituals in the old temple between the towers.

[color=green]Havlard:

I vote for the statue to Neptune in the harbor. Seniority has some advantages...even with the Gods.

[color=red]Well, would you mind if I had the local Bishop come and consecrate the ground? Please, sodales, whatever happened to the concept of tolorance and respect for our diversity? I always thought our Order was supposed to try to rise above the petty rivalries that plague mundane institutions. Isn't there some way that we can each honor our own beliefs while still respecting our individual diversity?

And Iolar, just a minor correction, for your benefit and not to be pendantic. There is no such thing as Christian gods. Only one God manifest in a triune being. I am not a theologian nor am I known for exceptional piety. However, I would be glad to sit down and discuss the basic tennants of my faith with you, and I would be most interested in learning your traditions as well. It seems we have a diversity of pagan faiths here, just as David and I represent a diversity in Divine faith.

How about this for a compromise. Two statues, one of Neptune and one of Helena, on opposide sides of the mouth to the harbor. We could even enchant them in various ways.

Yes, a Flambeau Magus just gave all y'all a speech on tolorance and diversity. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

[color=green]Roberto: [color=red]Well, Neptune does predate your Nordic deities, this is true. But the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob predates all other worship. It goes back to the very begining of time! It predates Rome, Greece, and even Egypt!

[color=green]Havlard:
[color=red]It is somewhat true if you are talking about the God of the Jews but you seem to be talking about Jesus, who by all accounts, is a rather new god.

[color=green]Wirth

[color=red]Although a christian, I agree with Alieanus about a chapel. We mustn't undermine our Aura. But we could help create one in the nearby town?

As per reviving roman rituals, I'm uncomfortable with this. Sure, it'd probably strengthen our aura. But it looks too much like paganism, and might frighten the covenfolks.

Maybe we could do both? A chapel would prove that the pagan magi aren't godless infernalists.

[color=green]Roberto: [color=red]They are one and the same my friend. Jesus is the Messaiah, Emanuel, God is with us. Jesus is the incarnate form of God. That's why we refer to him as a triune being, the holy trinity. There is only one God.

I may be speaking theology a bit eyond Roberto's knowledge, but i avoided bringing up the Arian and Albigensian herasies and they way they divide it up into multiple gods.