Chapter 4: Westerwald

While Honorus follows the rabbits he will swing his mace at tree trunks to try and make his path. Flying through the woods requires too much concentration to risk casting a spell.

"Does my leaky boat make you sea sick, sodalis?" Carolinus grins at Hildegard as he limps along. "I am grateful that you are willing to walk at my pace."

Carolinus notices a few of the bruised trees. "Either his navigation is almost as bad as mine, or our friend Honorus has taken some insult from the foliage. Hopefully the rabbity falcon does not think our bumbling a sign of rudeness."

"I quite like these woods; if there were a stronger aura it would seem an ideal place for a new covenant. Is there more you can tell me about this site?" he asks Hildegard.

We are still en route when night falls. Do we continue in the dark?

ooc: I've PMed jebrick about the events where he is. Sorry about the delay. I've just learned these days how right Shakespeare was when he described infants as "mewling and puking".

"This forest feels very primordial, there would be no divine influence to meddle with. I think it might be a suitable location for our covenant too."

"But this forest also seems to be very big. I do not know how far we still have to go and I am tired enough not to exhaust myself with another spell to find it out. This place seems just as good as any other to set up a camp and catch some much needed sleep. Also I´m afraid we will have to take watch ourselves tonight. While our journey was uneventful so far I do not trust that it will stay that way all night. There might be darker fairies in these woods too."

Hildegard replies: "We are not at the site yet, I assume from what my housemates have written, but not too far away either. You know the tale:

Two houses, unalike in dignity,	 
In fair Germania, where we lay our scene,	 
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,	 
Where Druid blood makes Cercistum's hands unclean.	 

Oakdell belonged to the accursed Diedne who practiced magics dark and wonderful. Tremere scouts found the site abandoned, with no trace left of the inhabitants. The site was repeatedly searched in the years after the war, but to no avail, no blood-magi could be found.
The site probably still has an aura, and maybe we can nurture it back to health.

"A fire will help against mundane animals. Let's hope we don't get any rain tonight." Hildegard concurs.
"But isn't this the owl that accompanies our Tremere brother? I wonder how it found us so easily."

The floating slab drifts toward the ground one last time as the sun sets. "Well, this is a good place to set up camp!" Carolinus grins, and renews his Parma.

"Can one of you talk to the bird? I'll be happy to take the first watch tonight." Carolinus casts a personal version of Eyes of the Cat on himself, then begins rummaging in the equipment to find some dinner.

Personal EotC: MuCo4 (Range: Personal; Duration: Sun; Target: Individual)
Casting Total: (roll 3 + Mu 3 + Co 3 + Stm 1) / 2 = 5.
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2512215/

The night beomes less dark for the Jerbiton.

"I hear there is a monk in Assissi that can talk to birds, some crazy Tytalus probably. But no, Intellego Animal is not my forte." Hildegard replies. Anyway, we can use Rabanus' powers to lead us to them - we've got all of our grogs' equipment, so we will find him sooner or later."

Theron picture flies down to a low branch and looks at the wizards.

"Ooooo. A human that talks to birds? I would like to see that. Most spells give you horrible accents and we can't understand you."

He turns his head this way and that.

"Ready to go. Not far now." He shifts back and forth on his feet...waiting.

"Well, if its not too far anymore, we can walk the rest now. But keep in mind we cant fly as easy as you and the darkness hinders us more then you. Else we will walk the rest once the sun rises again."

"Morning is for sleeping. Such a fine walk in the forest at night. It is not too far. The Watchers will not care so come along."

"The owl speaks?! Wonderful! Can you tell us, friend owl, how far a walk we can expect?" Carolinus is not very excited about packing up the gear again. "And who are the Watchers?"

WHHHHOOOOOO indeed! (Theron starts making a short barking sound that you realize is laughter) A little owl joke.

If I knew who they were I would not call them the Watchers. But you will see....or feel them shortly I think.

Now, how far is it. I would guess about 50,000 owl steps but I do not walk much so I will fly.

ooc: If you decide to wait till morning, advance the time. Otherwise pack up and move.

Carolinus massages his leg, sore from the day's difficult walk, but grins at the others. "Only 50,000?! I think we can manage that." He looks around for a suitably sized piece of wood on which to carry the equipment, and casts a spell to float it a few feet above the ground. "Maybe a wooden boat will not sink as much as the stone one," he smiles.

Levitating the Plank ReHe10
R: touch, D: sun, T: ind
The plank will levitate a few feet off the ground, and can be pushed or pulled easily.
Base 3 +1 touch +2 sun (will settle for a level 5 concentration spell, if he cannot pull it together this time.
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2518439/
Casting Total: (roll 3 + Re 6 + He 3 + Stm 1 + loud voice 1 + exaggerated gestures 1 + aura 1 ) / 2= 8 (Looks like this one will have a duration of concentration; I hope it's not too far. :slight_smile: )

If no such plank is available, Carolinus will create one: CrHe5
R: touch, D: sun, T: ind
create a sturdy piece of wood on which to carry equipment.
Base 2 +1 touch +2 sun
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2518443/
Casting Total: (roll 3 + Cr 9+3 + He 3 + Stm 1 + aura 1)/2 = 10
(Carolinus will rest for a few moments between casting spells.)

"Time to play follow the owl!"

Carolinus, eager to see what became of the grogs, and what location they've scampered off to, picks up his staff, ready to follow Theron.
"Sodales, let us continue just a little farther as the owl flies," he smiles. "If the custodes and Honorus are as close as his owl tells, it might be safer to camp together."

ooc: unless one of the other magi has strong objections, Carolinus will set off after the owl, with the equipment.

Hildegard is unwilling to be disturbed in her sleep, but when she understands what is going on, she is willing to come along.

Carolinus might be more concerned with the sights and sounds of the forest, if he weren't so focused on maintaining the spell to keep the equipment afloat.

Suddenly, a large dark and menacing shadowy thing appears out of nothing (30 paces ahead) and you hear someone starts shouting orders.

ooc: Anything to be seen just by having Awareness 2, Perception +3 and Keen vision?