Chapter 5: A strange covenant in Novgorod…

[color=red]We certainly cannot sit on the fence. I am supportive of the independence leaning towards Rastavan and Stanislaw, but I caution observation of actions on both sides over the longer term.

[color=red]"So Heinrich we should avoid prevaricating , but not commit ourselves yet. Personally I would be happy to tell both of them to go to hell, however it may be wiser to cooperate with this group providing we make no binding commitments which come back to haunt us. If it is an alliance and both sides gain then it will be a reasonable deal , if not as long as there is no oath we can break away later

[color=red]
Thank you.
I'd prefer it that way, but must confer with my sodales. We'll tell you soon.

[color=blue]Ouf!

[color=red]My sentiment exactly.
I've got no love at all for constantia, and she seeks only our servitude.
Now, we got both a way better deal, and the possibility to strike back at her. I say we should ally ourselves with Stanislaw.

Note, however, that we should be very careful: So long as he's got this document, he may use it on us at any time. For now, we can stall him because we can ally ourselves to constantia instead of him, but, once she's defeated, he'll maybe try to bind us. We should seek provisions against this.

Heinrich nods deeply in agreement.

Heinrich shakes his head. [color=red]Aye, but I see no direct and outrageous provocation besides mild insult - with exception to Mariella - to have to strike at anyone. It is just intercovenant posturing and jabs so far. It can clearly get worse, of course.

These other-side-of-the-border politics are too hot and us too young and very small and few supporters to much more than hold out whilst we try to grow. Odd that we Hermetics on this side should be concerned about incursion when the Mundanes to our East would be facing the contrary pressures. [color=red]Maybe we can get these supernatural denizens of the Pomeranian roused and organized...

As I see it the magi propose an alliance with Stanislaw and his magi, but keep it as loose as possible. I push the story along so that we can begin a new chapter.

After the magi meet with Stanislaw and tells him that they take up on his offer he gives the magi an offer they can refuse. [color=red]We who are allies to Rastavan can join in on a subscription of books. Send a few pawns of vis to Rastavans covenant each year and you will be sent copy of a tome. The books are what Rastavan finds interesting for the moment but they are of great quality. Soldaes of Rastavan can always count on his benevolence. The more vis you send the more books you will get in return. Have a safe journey.

The magi can think of this offer until the next council meeting.

End of thread