Chapter 5: Vengeance and lost tomes

There will be little problem with making any spells penetrate Hedwig’s resistance as arcane connections is not hard to come by.

Upon closer examination the lab reveals a few curiosities, first of all there are a few very odd instruments that fill the same function as other tools in your own laboratory but the design is different. The other impression is that the tools and equipment are rather crude, perhaps made by poor craftsmen.

[color=red]
I doubt it.
Remember that justus, a confirmed magus, was easily subdued by powerful magicks. Unable as she was to penetrate Mariella's Parma, I don't think she would have been able to affect Justus so easily.

That's why she should leave quickly, leaving here only a hidden sentry.

That's strange.

Does it seems like... Maybe the instruments were created as needed, without proper knowledge of standard items? Like, directed by the need, not by its knowledge? This would tend to lend weight to the hedge magus story.

Since no-one have anything to add I write a small close up on this chapter.

The magi can easily carry Hedwig with them back to the covenant. They have to penetrate her Parma but that can be done with the aid of Arcane Connections. But before that there are some investigations to be done. From the clearing with the tree that leads out of the Regio there are two paths. One of the paths leads to the laboratory and house that you have found. The other leads to a clearing with some servants housing and a garden and some livestock. The area is large enough to support a covenant that does not rely on some bulky form of financial support. There seems to be two forms of vis sources, the tree behind the house and the strange birds in the forest. The laboratory as mentioned is a functioning hermetic laboratory but with unusual tools and equipment, some of it bulkier than needed other is just of another design. There are no such things as standard equipment but there circulates a great deal of literature about equipment within the Order and it looks as if the crafter of these tools never read one of them.

[color=red]I say let's annex the area :smiling_imp:

OOC I just noticed that the post I thought I added on Tuesday isn't here

[color=red]"I agree we should claim this are and it's vis sites for the covenant. We can easily defeat any counter claim as any other claiment has clearly let their claim lapse by allowing a Hedge mage poacher to take up long term residence on the site.

After speaking to Ardeth Mariella moves to investigate the servant's housing expecting to find mind controlled servants she prepares to defend herself

Mariella searches the site and in one of the servants building she surprises a young woman that sits on a bed inside one of the houses. As she notices the magi she rises up from her bed. She holds a hunch posture and shows her teeth and emits what seems like a growl. Around the neck there are a collar similar to the one you noticed earlier but did not pick up.

Prefering not to strike with her lethal spells at someone who is probably mindcontrolled and innocent . Mariella tries a spontaneous spell to break the collar
(Pe 13 +Te 6(doubled to 12) +stamina 1 +aura 4 = 30) I don't have the rules with me but a level 15 voice range spell should be enought to destroy the collar.

Then [color=red]"We killed Hedwig. you free" Mariella's command of the local language is very poor

Mariella cast the spell without any problems and the collar cracks at first and then shatters into dust and fall to the ground, dissipating in the wind. The young woman transform and now in front of Mariella stands a dog, it’s still on the defensive and are growing.

Mariella backs away from the large dog, and wishes she had learnt a good spell for killing animals.

If the dog attacks she will spont a Pe An spell going for something disabling

OOC
I assumed Growling, if its growing I am more worried, also sometimes magic can be less than helpful. A human I can disable with a single spell. I don't have a good spell for killing animals yet

Once Mariella back of the dog seems more at ease. Yes the dog does not change size. :slight_smile:

Now there is not much more to be found here so what does you do?

[color=red]As I said before, we should let a stealthy vigil here. Other that this, let's return home.

[color=red]I agree, while I think we should claim this site and its Vis for our covenant there is no need to stay now. If our viprous freind could maintian watch for a while it would be useful . Let us gather the Vis , Books and the most interesting of the lab equipment and then procede back to the covenant with Hedwig where she can be interrogated

If Yannick agrees then a serpent guard is placed in the vicinity of the tree (the only known gate into the regio) and the magi return. Hedwig can easily be taken back to the covenant but a few interesting questions are what kind of healing spell will be used to heal her? And where will she be kept so that she does not escape when woken up. It could take a long time to heal her from a incapacitating wound to a heavy one.

Mariella plans to turn Hedwig over to Krispin for healing however she intends to ensure that Hedwig remains Gagged and has her hands restrained, crippled or amputated to prevent spell casting in combination with the Aegis.
She will be kept in a room barred from the outside(with NO WINDOWS) and specifically not guarded by men whose minds can be messed with and her only visitors are to be magi whose parma can protect them ideally Mariella or Ardeth should be present for all visits as we have the best Parma magica's.

Krispin may argue with some of this but he will lose

Upon the return of the other magi, Krispin makes sure that Justus is there to examine her. Presumably she’s still protected by something - he should be able to tell if it’s actually Parma and maybe other things about her, like if she has magical items or Hermetic training (strongest forms?). Justus or Mariella or both might also be able to spont some sort of PeVi to lower her casting totals, albeit not by a whole lot. What do we find out, while she’s still unconscious? When we know more, we should make plans about how best to restrain her with magic and what to do.

From there, Krispin lets them imprison her wherever prison room is available. He’s adamant on a few points, however.

[color=red] I will not allow her hands to be amputated, nor permanent harm to come to her person. Period. I do not care what she has done. If her crimes are so heinous she must be executed, that is a matter for the council, but casually amputating her hands is unacceptable. I will not be brought along on a crusade of blindness and barbarism. We are magi... there are other ways to restrain a prisoner.

Krispin applies his best spell to aid recovery, staying with her as she heals, nodding and listening patiently to objections and then going forward anyway. However, he is extremely cautious, using Call to Slumber if he sees her start to stir. He also allows anyone else who wants to be present to be so, provided they do not interfere.

Somewhat later, he quietly, without accusation or comment, sets up a pallet outside Hedwig’s door, so that anyone who wants to get to her has to step over him first. He doesn’t argue with Mariella about security measures for his visits, but instead seems prepared to simply ignore them. If they want to protect him, they’ll have to sleep outside her door with him.

[color=blue] OOC: I may regret this…

Ok, we think along the same ways.

Two more things.

1. Keep her intoxicated. It's hard to cast a spell when you're drunk or drugged :smiling_imp:
  2. We really should blind her, although krispin'll object. Too bad.

Good idea to Blind her , Mariella can do that spontaneouly before we return its PeCo 20 at touch range and I can manage that for spells of damaging nature.
Mariella will encourage Krispin to keep Hedwig drugged and as a safety precaution she will spend a couple of days creating lead figurines with blood from Hedwig to fix arcane connections.
Hedwig's parma should not be a problem as it will be down before she has recovered at all and she will not be able to renew it.
She will also point out a few matters to Krispin
[color=red]Hedwig is a dangerous prisoner and is already condemned to death by out council and the order as she is a none hermetic magus in possession of our secrets. She is also an evil murderess and the sole reason she is not yet dead is that we fear she may have confederates. Once we have our answers from her then there will be considerable competition for who gets the prvelege ofexecuting her I expect

[color=red]Just because she may be executed does not mean we have unlimited license to be cruel. It is not acceptable to blind her. If you blind her physically, I will heal it. Temporarily, if I am not given the vis, but I will not allow her to suffer unnecessarily. If you believe she should not be able to see for security reasons, use a spell that does not harm her. A Creo Imaginem spell accomplishes much the same goal. As does keeping her in a dark room and using Intellego to see ourselves.

Your discussion may continue at another time. There will be plenty of time to discuss the ethical aspect of prison keeping.

Krispin guards the door containing Hedwig and at a time in the dead of night he can hear a soft voice whispering, [color=red]Help me, from beneath the door.

[color=blue]As before when you broke the collar, I think you're making MMF: Damage a way too broad focus, encompassing most Perdo spells.

[color=blue]Neither destroying the collar nor blinding her inflicts a wound or damage.

[color=red]We can't be sure of that. The fact that she stole our books don't mean she's non-hermetic. For all we know, she might be an heremite.

[color=red]Fine for me