Chapter 5: Vengeance and lost tomes

When Krispin realizes someone (presumably Hedwig) is awake within, albeit injured, he sends a grog for Mariella or Ardath first and foremost. This woman deserves his compassion, but not his trust. He prepares to cast Wizard’s Leap at the first sign of trouble, or stands ready to fast-cast. He waits until he’s sure the arrival of at least one of them is immanent before he makes contact.

He speaks, quietly but full-voiced and confidently to the door. [color=red] What help do you require that I can give?

[color=blue]What security precautions did we take before K. healed her? Dark room, no light, no windows? Tied down? He has also prepared the most effective drug he can with Prof: Apothecary and was keeping her dosed with it in her sleep (the goal being to keep her groggy and preferably docile without harming her further).

[color=blue]I assume that Hedwig is kept in a windowless room that is barred from the outside and tied to her bed. She is probably still weak from her wounds so to heavy restrains are not possible and the use of alcohol as a sedative is questionable (it thins the blood…) but perhaps anything else is possible.

[color=red]I only wish to tell you my story [a groan of pain][color=red]. The other magi won’t listen they will only try to hurt me. Please trust me enough to talk to me without the other nearby.

Mariella and/or Ardath will arrive soon…

Hoping the risk to glean insight into Hedwig’s character is worth it, Krispin goes forward. At the very worst, his sodales will arrive (very?) soon. If they arrive while Hedwig is speaking, he will motion them to be silent, so that she hopefully does not know she is being eavesdropped on.

[color=red] What story do you have to tell me? Why did you give my sodales reason to be angry at you?

[color=red]Could you please come in here? I am both hurt and tied and sedated. I couldn’t hurt you even if I wanted to and the shouting strains my voice. Please, I know you have a kind heart, the strains are hurting me. Hedwig’s voice is filled with pain and between the words a sob can be heard. [color=red]Take a guard with you if you must but you soldaes would not let me tell my tale.

Krispin pauses for several long seconds, as if thinking (but actually buying time for his more warlike sodales to arrive). Hopefully she’s no danger, but it seems the odds are slim. His hand reaches for the door, ever so slowly and quietly. His hand rests gently and almost involuntarily on the bar. He tries to steel his voice, the tremor in his tone is obvious.

[color=red]I think you and I both know I cannot do that. If you have something to say, say it now, and I will try to help you. I will not knowingly hurt you, and I cannot say what you know about my sodales, but I think they would like to hear an unbiased accounting of your story as much as I. If there are extenuating circumstances, I’m sure that we can bring this to light. Do not be concerned; you are in no danger here.

[color=blue] What did Justus' investigations ever turn up about her? Or have we not done that yet? Would she still have Parma, or whatever her MR is?

[color=blue]Justus investigation of Hedwig revealed; she knows Hermetic magic, her strongest arts are Mentem but Justus is unable to determine her strongest technique. She could have a Parma but is she in a condition that would allow it to be raised again? Sedation, wound and tied up in a dark room could impair a parma ritual.

[color=red]I where raised by a magus who tormented me, tormented me in ways I cannot describe. I ran away after nearly been beaten do death. I have lived on other for as long as I have taken care of my self. I have cried myself to sleep many night over the dark deeds I have committed to stay alive.

Mariella and/or Ardath enters the room at this time. Remember that it is in the middle of the night and a servant has dragged either of you out of your bed.

Well, I guess krispin made us a sign to stay hidden and quiet, but still, I'm unhappy, and throws him a furious look, until I hear hedwig's words.

Mariella arrives slightly after Ardeth , and likewise stays out of sight although her expression is not a happy one . She fiddles with a small lead figurine held in her hand.
On hearing Hedwig's story her expression is one of disbelief.

Krispin nods quietly to Mariella and Ardath.
[color=red] If you were trained as a magus, why did you not exercise your rights as one and find a covenant?

I hope you will forgive my caution, but I think you can understand it as well. We can discuss this tomorrow. Whether you believe it or not, I grieve for you suffering, and I will not allow my sodales to harm you, especially if you speak the truth. I can do nothing for you tonight, and you and I both know it.

[color=red]My master Albrecht cast me out. Every day where filled with a new torment and one day he cast me out with the words that I would hunted if I ever set my foot near other magi. I never finished my apprenticeship as he cast me out. I tried to finish my training on my own by raiding weak covenant in the fringes of the tribunal. Hedwig’s speech is lost in sobbing and crying.

Everyone that hears Hedwig’s words thinks of Albrecht Ex Tytalus a now twilighted magus who where known for tormenting his apprentices in the most cruel ways, even by Tytalus standards. The rumours told that his sanity where blasted to pieces by a twilight episode gone awry but he never broke the code.

Yannick should have a word with the dog...

Yes, he agrees.

I don't see how dozens of innocents killed were necessary for her to stay alive. :question:

How convenient, so master Albrecht would be responsible for all of this...
I had thougth of a magus using her as a deniable resource, promising her an apprenticeship in return for her services..,
The verditius collars and lab equipment point in that direction. She wouldn't have been able to steal all of that, have a house constructed in a regio and so on and on and on.

Still, knowing the parma and not being member of the Order makes her a hedge wizard.
Thoughts that Yannick would have pronounced before being placed in a tree, where he supposedly still is in this very moment.

Gesturing for his fellow magi to cover him, Krispin makes his move. We should definitely talk to her, but tonight it would be on her terms, which strikes him as supremely unwise, however much his heart aches.

Her sobs stir his heart, however, and a tear runs down his cheek, which he tries to wipe away in the shadowy light outside the door. Then, acting with uncharacteristic speed, he opens the door – not slowly as someone coming to comfort, but very quickly indeed. He gets out a Life Boosted Call to Slumber (3 fatigue levels, +15 Penetration) first thing once he gets in the door, then rushes forward to her side as she hopefully grows sleepy. If she is truly distraught, he knows sleep is the best thing for her right now anyway.

[color=red] Sleep, dear one. We will not harm you, and we can speak of this tomorrow.

Hedwig falls asleep and snores like a modern day lumber mill.

[color=red]"Now she is recovered enougth to Lie , she is healthy enougth to be interrogated. I suggest that we get Heinrich in here to use intellego spells to get the truth. It is simpler and cleaner than any method of interrogation I can provide.

Mariella pauses and looks firmly at Krispin
[color=red]"Regardless of her sob story this creature has committed far too many crimes for us to excuse. She murdered the families of an entire village after sening their menfolk to kill us and they nearly succeeded for that alone she deserves to die. Do not let your sypathy get in the way here Krispin she lives only so that we can ensure she has no confederates after that if I don't kill her Yannick or Ardeth will.
And If is do end up suspecting you will help her escape our justice then I will just kill her immediatly.
You are a good man, this is an evil woman leave such matters to people like me . One more death will be no great stain on my soul

Krispin is calm and relaxed through Mariella’s speech, his hands clasped gently in his lap as the cloudy morning sun streams through the window. His eyes are a little red from short sleep the night before. "[color=red]I do not know for certain the extent or reason for her crimes, Mariella, and I hope that in our heart of hearts we all worry that we do not either. If you kill her out of hand, I fear for all our souls, and I think that, whatever else I know about my place among magi, it will no longer be here. He spreads his hands at that statement, said without the fire of anger, but with a hint of sadness. [color=red]Let us see what she has to say, employing such Intellego magic as we need to, and judge her based on her merits and failings, not our own fears.

Krispin stays out of discussions of security for the interrogation, leaving it to better equipped magi to handle it, but he will use Intellego Corpus in addition to what Heinrich has available to double check. Once all magi who want to be there are present and whatever security measures have been taken, Krispin enters the room with them and speaks to her gently, rousing her if necessary.

[color=red]Good morning, Hedwig. I realize this is a rather large crowd, but I believe if you have a story to tell me, those who you have most wronged have the right to hear it as well. I will try not to interupt you, and to help you as much as this situation permits. I cannot force my sodales to do the same, but I hope that they will.

Hedwig are I assume tied up and have slept of the most sedatives. She is still hurt but reasonably clear in the head. She tells yet again her story of yesterday, how her master tormented her during her apprenticeship and cast her out before she finished her apprenticeship and how she have been forced to prey on weak covenant at the fringes of the Order in order to survive.[color=red] I know I have done a few horrible things but you must know even though you hate me I regret what I have done.

Hedwig turns down her head and sobs for a moment.

Please list any precautionary spells that are used.

[color=red]A few horrible things???
You lying, stinking bitch!!!

Spells?
Aside from the usual ward against metals and a Wizard's sidestep, I see nothing at the present time.
Oh, and I don't care if she stutters, I'll cast my "Curse of the Unruly Tongue" on her.

Hedwig shuns back from Ardath’s furious outrage and looks scared.

[color=red]"Let us remain calm Ardeth , I am sure the young lady can explain how the nasty man made her try and kill us, and then forced her to murder a large number of innocent women and children possibly in a satanic. Her explanation will of course include why this was a good and moral act of self defense and how it was entirely the fault of the evil people who died and not this poor innocent women in front of us.
Mariella pauses and looks icily at Hedwig.
[color=red]I await this phenomenal explanation with great eagerness and it had reallly better be phenomenol.

Defensive spells
Spell to rot metal weapons ar normal
A PeVi spell on Hedwig at Range touch and Duration Sun will give (level-5) penalty on any spellcasting Pe 13 +Vim 8 +sta 1+ aura 3 = (25+casting roll)/2
And of course I have an arcane connection for penetration boost on any spellcasting

Do our Intellego spells confirm her statements?

[color=red]However much you were hurt, it does not make it right that you hurt others – especially when, from what we can see, you could have gained what you needed in other ways. You will have to be more forthcoming… what did you do once you were free of your master? Did you do the things my sodales accused you of? Did you murder, Hedwig? Did you attack us? If so, why? Have we wronged you in some way, to deserve this?