Chapter 5: Visit of Constantia

[color=red]Or you, for that matter, Krispin adds wryly. [color=red]If we could work out a deal that does not include vis and puts as equals, with a fair exchange of services, this I would accept. I find it unlikely that she’d be willing to negotiate such, but if you can pull it off…

[color=red]Agreed. Had she came more peacefully, this could have been discussed. But she treats her sodales like her servants, and us like serfs.

The rhine has nothing to gain from us going over to the novgorod tribunal. If we need powerfull allies, we should be able to found them here easily.

[color=red]
Arf... I hate submiting to her racket, but this...
Go for it!!!
Let her be punished by her own greed! This'll teach her to take us for fools :smiling_imp:

[color=red]I will go talk to her and try to settle a deal. I will not participate in anything that gives a fellow member of the order tainted vis. I handle this as well as I can. We need not to have more enemies then we possibly have. When Constantia leaves I travel to Duremar and return with what ever I can find. Is there anything before I go talk to the maga? Justus begins to rise from his chair.

[color=blue]If I see no response in a while I assume that we can make a jump in time and go to the Certamen.

[color=red]Meanwhile, let's talk to our prisoner. We need that parma book back. [walking to Ardath] [color=red]Ardath, what were those discussions we were having about the Wizard's Communion? Too much time away and too little time spent bolstering this covenant's defenses...

[color=blue]Mariella does not have anything else to say so she will await the certeman

Later that day in front of the covenant and with both villagers and Constantias henchmen as spectators the certamen begin. Constantia is dressed in one of her best dresses and she speaks to Mariella. [color=red]As I am the challenger it is my right to choose technique and my choice is Rego. You have the right to refuse and I choose another technique. Now select your form and I will refuse it if I wish. And as I said before, we fight until one of us are unconscious and the winner gets to cast one spell and that spell may not break the code. Constantia smiles viciously. [color=red]So I can’t cast a spell that harms you, impedes your magical ability or scries upon you. Now is there any questions or shall we begin?

[color=red]I am of course familiar with the rules of Certeman, but I thank you for your reminder. I would not wish to inconvenience you by forcing you to make another decision if I turned down your offer of Rego. If it would not be too much trouble for you I choose the art of Corpus.

Mariella is dressed in her normal plain black robe. She seems calm and is clearly striving to be polite
[color=blue]If corpus is rejected Mariella happily chooses Vim

Heinrich turns to his remaining sodales who stand as witnesses - [color=red]I can almost see this as unavoidable, but it all seems inurbane - even for the Order in the hinterlands.

Constantia refuses corpus and goes with Vim once suggested. The certamen starts and between the two magi a cloud of magical energy appears, the two magi are fighting over the control of the cloud and the way to shape its appearance.

Constantia only wins initiative with a slight margin and unleashes her powers Constantia uses the art of Rego to wrestle control of the cloud from Mariella. Even though she defends with the strongest of her arts one can see the attack is straining Mariella. After a moment Mariella’s face becomes significantly paler.

Mariella strikes back and her attack is easily countered by Constantia. The attack doesn’t even strikes at Constantia’s parma.

Constantia unleashes yet another devastating attack and this time Mariella, though heavily suffered with fatigue, nearly manage to block Constantias attack but fails and another hammer blow hits her magical manifestation. The spectators can see Mariella staggering on her feet and steeling her self for a counter attack.

Once again Constantia easily deflect the clumsy blow made by Mariella. Constantia’s art of Vim seems to block anything that Mariella can conjure up.

Constantia strikes again. Mariella is this time without chance to block Constantias attack and the fell strike puts Mariella unconscious.

Once Constantia’s victory is clear her henchmen shouts with joy while the covenfolk seems to pale and they are unsettled by the sight. One of their guardians where struck down in some form of combat. Who knows what protection the magi really offer?

Justus turns to his soldaes. [color=red]I will go talk to Constantia, perhaps she is more easily to discuss with now that she has had her victory but I can’t know for sure. Take care of Mariella. Justus walks up to Constantia and walks away with her discussing something. Leaving Mariella in the care of the other magi

Heinrich calls for covenfolk to carry Mariella to a couch back in the manor. To Krispin - [color=red]Anything we can or should do to provide ministrations?

[color=red]Oh, just the usual stuf with it. This would help us cast a much stronger aegis, as well as a host of spells with enough penetration to beat threats we can't affect currently.

[color=red]Well, this comes at no surprise to me... :unamused:

ignore this, I read Max latest post in OOC only after posting here...

Later Justus return he meets up with the other magi in the council chamber as agreed. Mariella has awoken but is feeling less then fine. Justus sits down at his end of the table and speaks.

[color=red]Soldaes, a pause for breah, [color=red]I have sent of Constantia and her henchmen also I have politely refused any protection agreement. I will be travelling to Durenmar soon to see if there is any truth in this alleged conspiracy against us. I could have made a deal with information against my book and a few more but that would not have gotten us the information in time. Perhaps we need to try to make a new deal with Constantia if there seems to be any substance in this conspiracy. Before I go I will take my book with me and set the scribe to write up new copies from the manuscript. I trust that you take care of our covenant and interrogate our “gift” from Constantia. Any questions before I go? If not then Justus leaves the table.

Krispin nods, relatively satisfied with the result. [color=red]Will you be taking anyone with you? I will be staying, but didn’t you express an interest, Heinrich?

Justus halts for a moment. [color=red]Did anyone of you wish to follow? I expect it to be unevent full but the library is a sight worth seeing.

Heinrich replies - [color=red]My thanks, Krispin. I defer to your recommendation, Justus, but I would always enjoy a visit to Durenmar.

[color=red]I have an interrogation to conduct. Heinrich accompany me.
Mariella gets to her feet and heads for the door , still unsteady on her feet but refusing to acknowledge any problem

Heinrich bristles at Mariella's bark, starts to retort and seeing how she still looks so soon after certamen, bites his tongue. - (energetically and putting on a good face) [color=red]Coming, coming! Justus, I'll peek in for a few minutes and then come on out and pack post haste!