Chapter 5bis (Autumn 1013): South along the Pennines

«Hill is good place. Nothing like it. Home is mine. Fox home,» it says guardedly.

After Turold translates, betula asks, "do you know of any wise, old trees near this hill?"

«Wise tree? Trees just stand there, silly. No wisdom.»

2 Likes

Betula looks to Turold, "Do you have any further questions? If not I think I will give him what was promised."

"I'm good, Betula."

Thom rolls over in his sleep, out like a log.

Kneeling, Betula places the thorn in front of her with her long arms and shuffles about one step back. Watching the Fox.

"This is for you, fox friend." he says to the animal. "You're kind to animals, Betula. Have you ever had a companion or familiar?"

The fox sniffs the thorn suspiciously before it grabs it between its teeth and trod quickly twenty paces away to chew it and gulp it down. It looks very satisfied.

1 Like

Edwin smiles. "Well, I suppose we could spare a little vis seeing as the magi who met at Ungulus seemed well supplied with vis rather than books or money. Hopefully we'll find some places to find vis when we find one of the sites we're looking for."

Betula raises an eyebrow, "Edwin, are you suggesting that the other magi have a right over the vis which I found in my travels, contrary to the Oath we all swore and not superceded by the loose agreement we made to find a home where we can all make Covenant together? I would not begrudge them using the vis they have should it seem necessary. Perhaps you disapprove of my use here? We did not gain information from the fox but that it knows of nothing but I did make a promise to it and I kept that promise."

2 Likes

"Yes, I try to be. Who knows? Some believe they have souls, some that they can gelp find The Answer. Either way they are trapped as we are... perhaps more so."

1 Like

"Trapped? What do you mean, trapped?"

When Thom wakes up in the morning, he finds Iago the Welsh. "I want you to stand still. I want to try something out on you. It won't hurt or harm you, but might help you fool a few people." The young Merinita's eyes light up, brows arching up with mischief.

Thom then casts Image Phantom [OOC casting Roll 26] on Iago the Welsh, his gestures smooth and curving.

When Thom is done, Iago's outward image has transformed rather remarkably. Iago now looks much more like Hamish MacDuff. Significantly taller, more muscular, red hair and beard, shining mail armor with a well fashioned and maintained sword at his side and shield on his back. The hair is tied back in a warrior's knot and the beard is well-kempt. The image is rather more handsome than Hamish.

"Oh… now that looks right good, Iago. Right good indeed."

The Merinita smiles and turns, calling out:

"Finn! Finn come over here! I need a second opinion."

1 Like

"I mean no offence, mistress Betula. You are free to spend your vis as you wish, just as you are free to give your silver to the church or throw bread to the ducks."
Edwin wishes the wizards weren't so strange in how they handle their resources.

1 Like

Finn moves over to Thom "Yes, what can I do for you lord?"

"Take a look! See how I've been able to cast an illusion on his form. Looks different than his normal every day self. More like that big Hamish fellow," says Thom, enthusiasm evident in the bounce.

"You seem to be a man full of ideas and imagination, Finn. What else could I do to help our little scouting party out? I could work something up for the mules, maybe? Or maybe something for you. You're a storyteller, right? A singer of songs? Right? I'll bet if I put my mind to it, we could add a little something something to your performances."

The young magus smiles.

"What do you think? Any ideas come to mind?"

"Lord Thom, I am master bard, trained in the school of Baile Ui Eodhasa in Ulster and proud of my abilities to create and tell a story. I appreciate your offer but my performances must stand on their own merits, not on the illusions of the Order." Replies Finn

Thom bursts out with a laugh. "Lord Thom? Hardly! I'm just Thom Myddleton." He shakes his head.

"I understand, Finn. I won't ever force the arts on you, but sometimes the situation may call for something of the Gift. I didn't mean to question your talent or gifts. Not at all."

Thom gestures back at Iago.

"What else could we do though? To make us less conspicuous or appear less like a group someone would want to mess with… Any ideas? Generally?"

"I have always found that keeping away from trouble better than aiming towards it. I have a real aversion to the martial side of life. Perhaps changing our look to a bunch of bunny rabbits, rather than bold warriors" suggests Finn

3 Likes