Chapter 5bis (Autumn 1013): South along the Pennines

"Ruedi... not my mother... NO... Where?..." Betula suddenly mumbles in her sleep but does not wake.

Turold hears Betula mumbling in her sleep, somewhat concerned and smiles at the fox. "Let me see." he will go gently wake up Betula.

The fox sits down to watch curiously, and full of expectation, as Turold wakes up Betula.

"W-What is it?" she sleepily says before looking surprised when she sees the fox.

"We have a nightly companion. A fox of virtue, I think. It has tracked us down by following the scent of the vis we carry. I think it wants some to snack. Do you hermetics take familiars as we druids do? It's cute but a bit large for me, I think."

"Can it... Understand us?"

"I can talk to it and understand it. I can do that with most animals, really. I'm not sure if it can talk otherwise, though. I haven't tried."

Betula looks the fox right in the eyes, "Do you understand me?" She says in Ango-saxon.

The fox looks sheepishly at Betula and gets up to start sniffing around your camp, trying to keep away from the two of you who are awake.

Where are people keeping their vis, anyway? I think all the magi and Turold are carrying some.

"Be nice, don't steal. My friend wants to talk to you. Come?"

2 Likes

The fox looks expectantly at Turold and wags its tails as it moves a little closer; not all the way to his feet, but closer.

Betula gets the faerie bag that was next to her reaches in for the last things placed within, the rose. "I will share... some, but you must talk with me. Turold as translator if we must." She then breaks off the lowest thorn.

"Do you understand her or do you need my help?" If necessary, he will repeat what Betula says. If the fox understands Betula, he will reply for the fox if it can't speak.

«S-sh-she is making noises. So what?» says the fox, approaching Betula's rose sniffing for the vis.

To Betula - "He doesn't understand you, no. I will help you talk." To the fox "These roses have vis. She offers you some but she wants you to talk to us. I will help you understand her."

«Vis-s-s,» says the fox; mouth watering. «What to understand?»

"That cave, over there," and Betula points towards the cave and house, "do you ever venture over there? A little over a day's travel by our, I think, speed.

«What cave and house?» asks the fox. «There is no cave here.»

After listening for Turold's translations, "Ah, well never mind. Do you know of any other places, nice places like this hill, near here?" Still holding the thorn and rose close.

He translates again, also asking the fox where it lives and what he knows about this hill.

1 Like