Chapter 7: The return to Ungulus (End of Autumn 1013)

"I'm open to learn to cast an Aegis. I'm fairly strong at Rego, I've learned some vim, and I trained in rituals. I'm also the most likely to fly between two places if we decide to setup a chapter house. But I won't fight for the privilege of spending a season of spell research if someone else wants to take that on. Or if we have a Mercurian." she smiles. "And yes, thank you Janus. I know I need to think."

Thadeus nods to Cath'rinne, "If you are willing to do that, then I will learn Wizard's Vigil to help in the casting, if we have a lab text for the spell. Do we? I will need a season to improve my knowledge of Muto, but I'm good at Vim already. That means I won't be needing a lab for the winter, but I will comes spring."

"If we are to support the casting of a fourth-magnitude Aegis with fourth-magnitude Vigils, there has to be four of us who learn the spell, however. So we will need additional volounteers."

Turning to Janus, Thadeus says, "As for raising a second tower, would be in favour of it. With only three sancta, this tower is already cramped. I would certainly be interested in a sanctum there, even if it means installing a new lab. And perhaps the labs in the new tower can be a bit larger than they are here. That gives us more room to grow, too, over the long term."

"Using the lab text to invent the spell means it is fixed in dimensions so the labs will be the same as in this tower I am afraid magus" replies Janus

"I understand the fixed dimension of the tower," replies Thadeus, "but couldn't you dedicate a full floor to the lab, and put the living quarters on a different floor, instead of the same? That should leave more space for lab equipment. And if you have a dedicated set of stairs between a magus' lab and his living quarters on the adjacent floor, you can create two sancta on three floors, with a single sanctum marker for each magus."

"And since most of the mundane quarters are already on the first tower, we should be able to host at least four larger sancta in a new tower."

1 Like

“Yes that is fine if that is what people want. We can draw it put so I get the interior arrangement just as we want it” replies Janus

The scribes were still working on their copying when you returned. You get to complete your discussions and planning before they present their production of new copies.

See

Nauvi states "I could do with borrowing a lab for a season for a longevity ritual. Everything else depends on whether we need me to research spells or enchant items or not. If not, one can study from a book or from vis anywhere. In fact, my master delighted in making me learn under unusual conditions."

He looks to the floor, then looks up again as he remembers "Oh, and I need to retrieve my dowry of goods. I was involved a little in mundane trade, and my friendly cloth merchant hid my vis supply under a bolt of tradeable cloth. I will add these to our stocks to help us while we get the covenant's finances to a more sustainable place."

OOC: I've checked "The covenant in spe" and I never did add my dowry in.

Sionag kept silence since they are arrived at ungulus. She was embarrassed about the young apprentice. A young gifted with this kind of responsibility couldn’t be an apprentice. She deserves her gauntlet. And the reading of the chart doesn’t help the young pharmacopean to feel good, to feel at her place here. This covenant was made for war, for hurt people, for soldiers. She is here to support, not to be member. Her lack of martial abilities and her hate of war sounded false on this place. She heard a lot and spoke less than her turn. If she decided to stay there, she needed to find her just place. They need her. War brings wounded people. And wounded people need healing. The covenant needs a healer, and now it’s her motivation to stay. Political things, heirloom and other material consideration are globally out of her range of interest. She lets others members to manage these points.

« If we have people to repair the cottage, I could be interested. Else I will take a sanctum on the first floor, near a place for an hospital. A covenant for war needs a strong place dedicated for healing. I can be useful at two points for covenant : healing and longevity. And for first rituals I can help on a laboratory or be helped to grant better rituals.”

1 Like

“Do you want to make your lab the infirmary maga or do you want to keep the two separated?” Asks Janus

Will Nauvi have to travel down into Mercia to get to his dowry?
If he does, there will be a story. If he delays it until Summer, it could be combined with harvesting the Corpus source.

When Sionag inspects the existing infirmary, possibly together with Janus planning the interior for the new tower, Clarissa becomes a little defensive.

Are you sure you want to take over the infirmary, maga? Remember that it can get quite crowded, with scores of casualties after a campaign. If we keep the infirmary as it is, I can care for the crowds, and you can have a laboratory on the floor above for your special work and the difficult cases. Isn't that better?

If Sionag inquire about the cottage, Caelha will say that it should be possible to get a carpenter to improve the insulation over the Winter. The carpenter is more sceptical. The easiest way to get it more comfortable would be to tear it down and rebuild it. He can probably fix some insulation, it will just take more materials than doing from scratch, but the damp is from the ground and is not so easily corrected.

It is finally settled that the magi take over Ungulus, and nobody challenges the lead role taken by Janus and Thadeus. The rest of the Autumn passes, surveying the ground, the buildings, and the contents, and making plans. Caelha tries to keep out of the way, and sneaks away into Tacitus sanctum to read the summa on Rego that Luciu brought. With all that is going on, the magi are very unlikely to notice this, unless they have a particular desire to read rego.

Chronos does not meddle either, except his taking stock of the writing materials, and liaising with Osgar to procure more parchment and ink, to make sure he can write his memoirs. He is a little more sociable than Caelha, though, and can be consulted at mealtimes at least.

You can overhear some gossip among the grogs, overheard by those magi who speak Saxon. The covenfolk are very curious about who's who among the magi, but discuss it only between themselves. Will they make the Aegis this year? Who of the magi is the ritual master? Will the feast be as grand as it was two years ago?

(Please complete the plans for Winter and Spring in Chapter 8, so that I can move on with Chapter 9.)

Thadeus will try to take a few minutes to talk to the grogs and covenfolk that he meets, whenever he has the opportunity. (That may explain why he often arrives lates at the various meetings with the other magi.)

He also makes sure that Sasso and Telsa are able to settle down amongst the other grogs.

37 posts were split to a new topic: Chapter 7bis: The Charter

A post was merged into an existing topic: Chapter 7bis: The Charter (End of Autumn 1013)

"I don't want do my laboratory on the infirmary, but I want to stay close of it. I have some duties and if I stay here, I want to be sure to keep my vows. But before choose where I stay, I need to be sure that this covenant is a place for me, a place where I will feel good, in adequation with my values."

"Caelha, please, should you let me have a discussion with the another magi ?"

Sionag is more respectful and polite in her asking that she was daily. It's clearly not a maga who dismiss an apprentice, but something more that a guest who ask a privacy to her host.

Sionag waits that the young person left, and will not say more if Caelha decides to stay in the room.

"Seriously, we will keep her as apprentice ? She is a maga, a maga who needs time to study, who deserves a real sanctum, an full access to the librairy, like each of us. I really don't care about who is her parens. More than one year without teaching, and she takes the role of seneschal, autocrat and chamberlain. She stays alone here with only few mondains, manage all the situation, and we will keep her as apprentice ? I thought that gauntlet was a test to prove that the apprentice is ready to be a responsible magus. You can say what you want... But she IS a responsible magus. She has done more work in one year in this covenant than some lazy magus for their in one decade."

Yes, that was the first point who hurts the values of the young pharmacopean... And maybe not the only one...

“But maga, what right do we have to interfere with an apprentice of house Tremere. We have agreed to allow study of the library and Caela has indicated she will travel to Blackthorn in the Spring. I agree a great job has been done but I for one will not interfere further” states Janus

"The only reason I'm not declaring her a maga is that she doesn't have a heartbeast and I can't adopt her. And I also see no reason to remove her from her house. But she's a maga in my eyes, much like Sionag said."

“Then perhaps a letter to her house telling of her great work and positive virtues may be appropriate. Maybe one of you who writes well could do it” suggests Janus

"She isn't a maga until she has completed a Gauntlet and been accepted by her parens and House," says Thom. "As is required of all of us according to the dictates our of various Houses. I will be needing a lab to work on inventing the Wizard's Vigil. Does anyone object to my using Tacitus's lab for the season? Unless you wish to Cath'rinne? Or Betula?"