Chapter 7 Wirth has a visitor

Once at Syracuse the group change to a Venetian trading vessel , a larger vessel than their previous ships and travelling with a group of other venetian vessels. The crew are somehat suspicous of their passangers but agian this seems to be taken care of by the application of Silver. The Mediteranean is again demonstrating it's calm nature .

Although Clara does seem to be sufferring more from Sea Sickness as the Journey continues

Aaargh!!!

Wirth is clearly annoyed by this, and curses frequently.
[color=red]Freaking boat, freaking sea... How long til we arrive?

Although I suck at creo, I'll attempt something:
Alleviate the curse of the seas:
CrCo 05
Gives + 3 to recovery rolls from seasickness
(base 2, +1 touch, +2 sun)

Roberto can cast Gentle Touch of Purificaton (CrCo20). I advise Wirth that it is quite unwise to cast Healing spells spontaneously.

Clara's Nausea is largely unafected by the spells used but is not very serious merely making her uncomfortable at times, fortunatly this stage of the journey will only take a couple of weeks. As the ship gets closer to Constantinople Iolar flies ahead to meet with the guide arranged by Marrissa .

At a convenient moment, when she's alone (like, when wirth is sleeping, or cursing, or whatever), Clara comes to roberto, despite being visibly unsettled by his gift.
[color=red]
Master Roberto, could I speak to you for a minute?
(I assume here roberto agrees. Slaps me if he doesn't :wink: )
[color=red]
I don't really understand why, but you seem to be the closest thing that my husband has to a friend here. On this basis, I'd like to ask you a favor.
You see, all this quest... I don't really care for this. Dying is natural, it is part of God's plan for us, and I trust in his mercy and the wonders of Paradise. I don't fear death, at least, I don't fear it too much faint smile[color=red] I think trying to go against god's plan for us is sinful, and that I will pay for this someday.

But my husband... You have to understand. Despite his tough looks, he's still a lonely child inside, asking to be truly loved by himself, whatever his failures may be. He needs me, he needs my love and trust, more than you may think, and... I know him, I fear very much that, should I die, he would end his own life and damn himself to hell through this mortal sin.
Thus, I will abide by this quest. I know god can see in our souls and will pardon us eventually, for he knows our love is pure and devoid of evil intent.

What I wanted to ask of you is that... I've spoken with wirth, a lot. He doesn't understand this, and fears a lot that this won't work, and that something awfull will happen to me. I'm willing to take the risk, for him. Sooner or later, I'll have to, and, should I die, I'll just wait for him in the afterlife. What I'm asking of you is, should such an eventuallity arise, protect him. Don't let him kill himself, whatever you have to do for this. Protect him for himself, if you can, and be the good friend he thinks you to be.

You're probably taking me for yet another foolish girl, but I don't care. All I ask is, if you have one schred of decency and fellowship for wirth, do what you can for him.

[color=red]I will talk to him...

But what do I say? I will need to think on this. Hmmmm....

The day before the ship reaches Constaninople Iolar returns . She explains she has arranged to meet with Marissa's guide in a wood about a days journey outside the city, apparently accomodation at one of the Inn's in the merchant Quarter has been arranged for the night after the ship arrives and then you can set off to meet the guide.

Contantinople itself is an awe inspiring sight , as you approach the great walls and Towers of the city are more impressive than any city you have seen before. Towering above these are the the great buildings of the city Palaces and Cathedrals.
Only as you get closerto the city can the other side of things be seen, Large areas of the Docks are clearly unused and patches of the city still show signs of the fires which raged through the city when it was sacked. Heading to the Inn , empty plinths and damaged statues give further evidence of the looting and vandalism.

Wirth is cautious here. Who knows what might happen? After such a tragedy, rich travellers might be a tempting sight.
[color=red]
Let's go. No need to waste time here

The inn itself is comfortable enougth and in good repair , and the group have private rooms booked ennabling them to avoid inflicting their gifts upon the other guests in the inn. The food is pleasent and the they are able to pass a comfortable night before setting off early in the morning.

The group are able to leave the city and set off along the main road until shortly after Lunch when Iolar indicates a grove located a few miles off the road and indicates that she tinks that is where Marrissa's guide is waiting for them

The Grove seems to be wild and untouched by human hand, despite being in the middle of cultivated land as the group enters it they feel a chill pass over them. A quick check reveals that the grove has a magical aura , and there is no sign of the infernal .
The sunlight is dimmer within the woods , but the sound of animals can still be heard with birds and small animals around.
There is a clearing in the centre of the grove in the centre of which is a stone Plinth set into the earth. Standing near the plinth are two women dressed in the garb of hunters and armed with bows and quivers of arrows. They turn to face the group as they enter the clearing both are clearly young women of greek or some other mediterenean extraction. One of them steps forward
[color=blue]Greetings travellers , I have been asked to help you in your quest , as a mark of respect for the one who has sent you myself and my associate here have agreed to assist you. Neither of us are gifted but I am a member of House Mercere and my freind has much experience of dealing with mages of the order. My name is Mageara and my colleague is called Alecto in Latin

[color=green]Wirth, seeming upset and ill at ease. He frequently looks at clara, and holds her hand tightly.

[color=red]Thanks. I'm at a loss here (he hasn't slept much, and it shows itself). [color=red]Is the country safe enough?

[color=red]This area is safe enougth , when you reach the borders there is ongoing strife with the Turk and the Byzantines trying to throw out these rankish occupiers but that should not be a problem. You need to travel to the hills of Thessalonica that area is more dangerous as there are magical beasts and witches roaming them. The rest of your tasks should be reasonably safe. I will guide you to the hills while my colleague guides your wie to collect a Snake , there are many around here and there should be no risk of attack by anyone here we are too close to Constinople for bandits or dangerous wild animals

[color=green]Wirth
iiiiiirk!!!!!

Clenched jaws, you could almost hear then grind.
[color=orange]
She talks about witches and beasties, and I'm supposed to leave clara in this just so she goes collect some stupid snake????

[color=blue]
Yes, I know, wirth misunderstood it all :wink:

[color=green]Clara smiles to Magaera.
[color=orange]My husband and I thank you for your kind assistance. It is much appreciated, though I worry for my husband. While I may be safe, he probably won't.

[color=green]Wirth[color=red]
No worry. I won't let you down. Never.

[color=green]Robrto: [color=red]What do you need me to do brother?

[color=green]Wirth
[color=red]
The most important task of all, you know it. Protect my wife, at all costs.

At which [color=green]Clara objects[color=red]
Don't be stupid! We run little risk, and I can have kilica and iolar with me, which is more than enough to take care of any bandit around these parts. You, on the other hand, will be in real danger. Roberto, whatever he may be, is a warrior and a powerfull magus. If you're going against witches and critters, you need him to watch your back! Or do you want to go alone, die, and leave me a widow?

[color=green]Wirth is... Well, he can't say anything. He feels very stupid, but still, he cares so little for his own safety, and so much for clara's! Yet, she is right, as usual, he can't go against her.
Grudgingly... [color=orange]She's right. I don't like it but she is. Roberto, I'd be honored to have you at my side.

[color=green]Kilica
[color=red]I am certain that no bandits will pose a problem for me
[color=green]Iolar
[color=red]I will be happy to defend Clara , I may not have Roberto's expertise in combat I do know a lot of fire spells and very few bandits will hang around after I cast a few of them.

[color=green]Mageara
[color=red]Alecto is a skilled archer and will help protect your wife , however there should be little risk, Indeed we should face little risk in the hills as most of the witches there have joined the order or are allies of those who have. As time is tight we should set out immediatly, I will be leading you along paths which skirt the edge of Arcadia so there may be some unnusual problems along the way. Fortunatly Alecto will not need to travel such roads
[color=blue]Very conveneint for the GMPC's and NPC to all head off together I can thus leave that thread until you return and discover clara's fate

[color=green]Wirth
[color=red]Grumpf.

Let's go then. The sooner we're done, the better.

Mageara leads Roberto and Wirth along a narrow winding path through the grove , she cautions them to keep close and stay on the path , it soon becomes apparent that the path has gone much further than it could have done while still staying within the grove.
The plants around the path seem to have grown and to be much more impressive they seem healthier , their thorns are longer and the fruits more colourful. The sound of insects and small animals also grows louder , then the path emerges from the grove onto a well maintained Roman road heading towards distant mountains.
Mageara turns to the mages [color=red]We are know on the road to Thessalonica and are skirting the edge of Arcadia be on your guard should we meet anyone along the road as this is not a safe place.

[color=blue]You are in a level 10 faerie aura if any magic is needed

The road stretches on apparently endlessly towards distant mountains, the sun overhead is low in the sky apparently lat ein the afternoon , the sky is largely clear of clouds except for a bank of storm clouds over the distant mountain.
On Either side of the road are broad clear grassy verges , on either side of the verges are dense woodlands . No animals can be seen but the song of birds is clearly evident.
Mageara leads the way along the road towards the mountians, the sun overhead does not move and it is hard to tell the passage of time or how far the magi have travelled. After a few hours of travel the group comes to a well at the side of the road with feeds a fountain . Mageara drinks from the fountain and assures the magi that it is safe to do so. It is the first time she has spoken since starting along the road.
After a short rest the magi continue along the road , as they near a second fountain they see another group of travellers is already at the fountain.

[color=red]Wirth, it may be a little late for this, but I think this is a bad idea. It makes me nervous, and it must be many times more nervewracking for you...