Chapter 8 - Drake Hunting

[OOC - I guess I should write more so there's no need to go to the website.]

1st Round Defense: 25 (w/Creo) +6 (Hoplomachus) +8 (roll) = 39.
1st Round Attack: 6 (w/Ignem) -3 (Hoplomachus) +4 (roll) = 7.

Valentino notes Antonio may like to start defensively, too. Valentino's shield held up easily, but his javelin didn't seem to faze Antonio. He will follow the same tactics in the next round, looking to see if Antonio changes his tactics.

2nd Round Defense: 25 (w/Creo) +6 (Hoplomachus) +9 (roll) = 40.
2nd Round Attack: 6 (w/Ignem) -3 (Hoplomachus) +4 (roll) = 7.

At the moment Valentino is hoping to find an opening and make a lucky shot (a great roll starting with a 1).

Valentino holds to the same tactic again. With the strength of Antonio's attack, it's likely that a move to a more offensive tactic will cost him the duel. He may have to push this tactic to see if Antonio may lose his concentration...

3rd Round Defense: 25 (w/Creo) +6 (Hoplomachus) +2 (roll) = 33.
3rd Round Attack: 6 (w/Ignem) -3 (Hoplomachus) +4 (roll) = 7.

Still using Creo for Attack and Ignem for Defense, Antonio switches his Mastery Bonus to attack.
He rolls a 5
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2030619/
For an Attack Total of 26
For Defense he rolls a 9
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2030629/
For a Defense Total of 29

[color=red]Good Dueling!!

You are holding your own against an Archmagus, so anyone who complains Certamen is broken should observe this example as to why they are wrong.

we went slightly out of order.
Creo + Mastery Attack, Ignem Defense

Attack roll 5 invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2030629/
Defense roll 1, invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2030641/; for a 32
Attack Total 26
Defense Total 52

[color=red]Getting tired yet?

We will have to pick this up later. I have to log off for the day.

Everyone else, if you want in on the hunt speak up! Form teams. We head out to set up camp on Monday.

[OOC - I don't think it's broken. I just think there are too few options once it starts. It did get a lot more interesting with HoH:TL, though.]

[OOC - Good thing that 2x2x8 was on a defense!!!]

4th Round Defense: 25 (w/Creo) +6 (Hoplomachus) +9 (roll) = 40.
4th Round Attack: 6 (w/Ignem) -3 (Hoplomachus) +2 (roll) = 5.

Valentino has seen Antonio is closer to getting through than he is. He'll probably concede shortly.

Did Marcellus accept Valentino's invitation?

Kallista will pause for a moment before interrupting, curious about the prayer charm and if Ameline has been initiated into performance magic, though that would be odd form of performance... She snaps out of it for fear of accusations of scrying.
OOC: She wont cross the sanctum threshold unless invited.

[color=red]"Ameline, please excuse the interruption, may I talk with you for a moment? I need to apologize for my actions the other night. I'm sorry to have taken part in a venomous attack against you at the banquet. I must admit I was being intolerant toward your kind. A public forum is not the place for such arguments. If there is anything I can do to make it up, please let me know."

She'll pause a moment, [color=red]"I did also want to ask for a favor. But I understand if you won't. A friend of mine, the guide that brought us up to Andorra. I worry about him. I suspect he is like me, descended from Fae, however he seems convinced he has the devil in him. He is troubled in this way. Would you have the time to see if he truly does? I don't think he does mind you, but it would be nice to know for sure."

"And if he doesn't then can you help me to convince him? It is not healthy for our kind to despair so. It's self fulfilling for him to have this fear. Especially if he is born of the darker courts, which I doubt given his truthfulness. But it's important because we become what we pretend to be and our fears tend to bear fruit."

Here are Valentino's next two rounds:

5th Round Defense: 25 (w/Creo) +6 (Hoplomachus) +4 (roll) = 35.
5th Round Attack: 6 (w/Ignem) -3 (Hoplomachus) +5 (roll) = 8.

Adjust the following if Antonio gets through in the 5th round.

6th Round Defense: 25 (w/Creo) +6 (Hoplomachus) +6 (roll) = 37.
6th Round Attack: 6 (w/Ignem) -3 (Hoplomachus) +3 (roll) = 6.

Assuming nothing spectacular happens one way or the other, Valentino will concede after the 6th round. He will also concede at this point if he has started losing Fatigue. Assuming this is so, Valentino says, [color=red]"Archmagus Antonio, I concede." As the illusion fades he continues, [color=red]"You are too strong for me. Protecting myself from your attack leaves me no strength left with which to make a strong counter-attack. Eventually you will wear me down. I thank you for doing me the honor of dueling me." If something spectacular does happen, he may say something different or do something a little different.

[color=red]"It was expected. There are many pagans at the covenant and I know that they do not exactly like the presence of the dominion. This is especially the case since magic for most wizards does not work where the presence of God is very strong that many mages fear my presence woudl damage the aura and impede their magic. Such is not the case, especially in an aura as strong as this but I understand it. More over, such fears of the divine leads to fear of all divine abilities, not just a few." Ameline was carefully watching posture and the words being spoken to her though.

She speaks softly, [color=red]"I do forgive you for it though I am curious, are you sorry that you were part of that in public forum or sorry in general because you have the same views and feelings that you would have them said in a private forum? In either case, your words were not that offensive and the trust you showed by lowering your parma far exceeds any hostile words. Where there is faith and trust, there is hope. I only wish that you listen to my words and thsoe of the priest and listen to them. Search your heart as you do and see if you find the love of God there. I know he loves you and is there for you, if only you seek him."

Ameline finishes up, [color=red]"I would do my best to look over your friend for the presence of the infernal but as I said last night, God and the gift are pure, my ability to wield it is that of a flawed and mortal woman."

Ludovico comes out to join hunt with a change to his attire and manner as well. He does not seem so 'regal' as he normally attempts to comport himself. Instead he wears simple and functional leathers, his cloak a less ostentatious and plain affair, and an undecorated set of short sword and matching daggers. All of his usual adornments ( rings, necklaces, ear rings, and assorted charms ) are removed. The change in his appearance is more dramatic than one might think. Now he is the spitting image of a venetian blackguard or highwayman from across the realms... and his eyes speak to him knowing the business.

[color=red]"I shall join you Archmagus Perez. Would you like me to assist some of the newcomers?"

He did not interfere in the fight between Carmen and Kallista, and in fact made a point of looking askance away from it. Not far enough that he couldn't see, just far enough that he didn't look like he was staring. :wink:

When Carmen returns he approaches and bows, as if he was in his usual finery and she still in the gown she had originally donned. His expression is light and humor filled as he speaks. [color=red]"You looked quite lovely this morning Lady Carmen. I shall have to bring a seamstress for you, from Venice if need be. Your heirloom should be repaired. And, I admit, I should like to see you so adorned more often."

Straitening he smiles, settling his hands on his hips. Looking away for a moment he takes a breath before turning back. [color=red]"Would you do me the honor of joining me on the hunt? I think, between you and I, that we should be quite capable of taking the prize."

Kallista seems to be searching for the right words. [color=red]"I would not wish to be the cause of despair nor embarasment for you, for that I want to appologize. I do not think that topic is appropriate at a festivity nor around children, for that I am guilty as well. For my friend, thank you. I'll send him to you if I am able. I'll let you get back to your work... Are you growing plants? I may come to you in the spring."

[color=red]"You caused me neither embarassment nor despair. If I can not defend my faith well enough then I need to learn the words to do it. Never will a challenge to my faith bother me. Perhaps next time I will find the right words to reach the minds of the otherss. Matters of faith and philosophy are common at gatherings of Magi for a meal. I am not ashamed to believe in and be dedicated to God. It is not something that I will hide. Better that it is brought up honestly in public than secretly in dark corners." Ameline sighs though, [color=red]"You are sorry that it was brought up in public but not with the attitude espoused. That you do not believe is a cause for sorrow. True, it is hard to slay a mage and yet it happens and I mourn those that pass without benefit of the sacriments."

When asked about the plants, Ameline says [color=red]""I am learning something about it, yes. Something to improve the church."

"I was not aware there had been a referendum nor of any significant discussion of the topic unless it took place before the expedition's return."

[color=red]"I'll be more direct... Given light of a possible threat to a child's well being, do you think your time is best served prostitising? You would be more effective if you were a bit more subtle.
If your generosity extends beyond the church then, I have some olive and anis seeds that would like to grow. "

[color=red]"Do you fear the word of God? Is that why my words so disturbed you that you felt you had to join in the debate last night? The infernal seeks the child, I act to protect her. Those that fear the presence of God in her protection were speaking out last night? Are you one of them? You have nothing to fear from the priest or I save words. Ameline's voice is soft and questioning, an invitation for you to think about them but no obligation.

[color=red]"As for growing the plants, I can experiment with them if you want to risk them or you can wait until my spell if finished. It is one to make plants grow well and healthy for the time."

Assuming this happens at some point soon, it will be relatively simple for Ameline. Ezio has no magic resistance. Assuming Ameline is wearing or carrying anything indicating her religious association, Ezio will be more than happy to meet her, too. Ameline will discover nothing Infernal (nor Divine) whatsoever about Ezio.

[OOC - The follow-up conversations could be very interesting. The interaction between these two is one I thought would be a lot of fun.]

OOC: I was going to go find Ezio as soon as the conversation was finished :slight_smile:

[color=red]"I think this is so. I think that the words spoken may have been off putting and clouded your message. We can agree mine were, no? The discussion quickly went from how to protect the girl best to who's patron god was the true one. I should have been more direct the other night and pointed that out, instead of joining in with an attack."

"I would have taken the same stance had Ludo proclaimed the Olympians would help if we all were to offer Zeus praise. Zeus is not worthy of praise. He's a cross between a horse and a donkey. But that too would have been bad for me to say because it would only spread discord."

[color=red]"And no I do not fear the words of god. I fear their followers."

Ameline speaks softly, [color=red]"You have nothing to fear from me. As for protection of the girl? That was resolved already. Inigo, Antonio and myself will together be trying to watch over her. The issue of the attack is that unlike you, Ludo did oppose or fear my using my gift to sense the unholy though I am not sure whether it was on principle or personal, I can not say. Under the code, I can't use it on a fellow mage save as part of queasitor investigation or with permission even though it is much less intrusive with very limited scope compared to frosty breath of the spoken lie or other intellego spells."

"As for the protection of Kesara, I am wondering if I should go on the drake hunt. This way I am onhand to heal her if she gets injured but hunting and killing are not something I take pleasure in. "