Chapter 8 - Drake Hunting

Pre fight?

[color=red]"No, I haven't. I'm Kallista ex Merinita. " Kallista offers her hand to be kissed by Valentino and curtsy.

OOC: I was actually assuming we spoke before you went to fight her...

Having come out of his tower for some unknown reason, he notices Antonio with the now disheveled kallista. Without a word he avoids the two and seeks out Carmen at the entrance of her sanctum.

OOC: OOPS I'll change it... I think it would be kinda interesting if it were after :stuck_out_tongue:

Ameline is easy to find. She is in the guest lab temporarily marked as her sanctum. She seems to be muttering softly prayers to God for the health of the plants that she brought in. In between her prayers, she speaks softly and gently to the plants as if they could hear her and respond. It is part of labwork but not exactly like most hermetic magics. No hermetic words or gestures are used and it is half prayer and half magical research.

OOC: There is almost nothing of Magic theory as taught to hermetic wizards in her work (She uses holy magic instead)

You catch her as she is coming out, having changed into her normal attire (breeches, boots, loose shirt, some kind of harness or halter (I cannot think of the word, bustier? It is a leather thing that holds her "top" together, looks swashbuckler-ish).

[color=red]I don't want to talk about it. I lost my temper, it was very unprofessional of me. Just let it go...

(OOC - of course I am expecting that you have something to say anyway :smiley: )

I have the scores all calculated. But hold up! As Antonio was drawing the circle, Carmen and Kallista start fighting. He has to deal with that situation first...

[color=red]"No problem. I understand the importance of family," replies Valetino. He stands beside Graziella, and they watch the drama unfold.

He simply bows, unaware of what had exactly transpired but he suspects something amiss. "Greetings mistress Perez. Your father had offered you to tutor me this year, however I must inform that matters will keep me otherwise occupied and I do not hold you to the offer."

[OOC - I guess from an earlier response I post this here. Back in time only slightly - between Valentino's arrival and this whole brouhaha.]

Valentino spent a little time marking his and Graziella's guest quarters as a temporary sanctum. Afterwards he casts Stamina of the Heroes one evening before going to bed, using 2 pawns of Corpus Vis (started w/ 5 pawns) and 4 long-term Fatigue levels. He'll use gestures and voice as best he can.

The first roll is for Stamina of the Heroes. The second one is just in case a 1 is rolled on the first die. The third is just in case a 1 is rolled on the second die. (1d10+44+1+1+5=61, 1d10=2, 1d10=1)

That's actually 51. Ouch! He's unconscious and Hurt.

The next morning he'll cast Gentle Caress of Aesclepius with 3 long-term Fatigue levels.

The following day he'll cast Strength of the Heroes the same way in the evening before going to bed, using 2 pawns of Corpus Vis and 4 long-term Fatigue levels.

The first roll is for Strength of the Heroes. The second one is just in case a 1 is rolled on the first die. The third is just in case a 1 is rolled on the second die. (1d10+44+1+1+5=52, 1d10=1, 1d10=3)

(Oops, forgot to change the spell to +45.) That's actually 2x2x3+45+1+1+5=64 because of the 1's.

Now Valentino's basically out of Vis (1 pawn of Corpus left), so he's done for now. He'll need to get a hold of more Vis.

Chris

Cool. I suppose you can increase your Str & Sta each one point :smiley:

[color=red]Very well. Still, I have a question for you. Where do you stand on this whole membership referrendum. As I understand it, it is mainly you that is holding things up, and you have as of yet not given any hint as to your opinion on the matter.

You sense she has an ulterior motive.

[OOC - You said to do it all in-game and not in development, so that's what I'm doing.]

Chris

OOC - Yes, and I am saying your results are publically recorded, so go ahead and modify your sheet. We were watching to see if you botched the roll :smiling_imp:

Certamen for Sport!
Okay, things seem settled down, so we will continue.
Antonio will forceless-cast “Test of the Flames”, Valentino does not have to co-cast or spont his own. Fighting in the style of Inirelte is really nothing more than showing off. You are dueling using the Arts of Creo and Ignem while standing in a circle of flames. Unlike the traditional endurance contest, you keep your Parma up. And, since it is just a show, you can employ any other Certamen School you are familiar with or have mastered.
To be a master of the school of Inirelte, you must master the spell “Test of the Flames”. You may add your Mastery score to your Attack or Defense, and you can switch which one from round-to-round. You also may apply your Mastery Abilities to the Certamen. Penetration mastery adds your Mastery score to your Weakening Total; Resistance Mastery doubles your Resistance Total; Imperturbable adds your Mastery Score to any Concentration rolls that may be required; Quick Cast adds +1 to Initiative; and etceteras. Some Mastery Abilities have no effect, such as Fast Cast, Quiet/Silent, Subtle, Multi-Cast, and etceteras.
Inirelte’s Certamen is only used for sport, and on rare occasion duels of honor between old-school Flambeau magi. You can’t legally force it on anyone. It only applies to Creo-Ignem contests, and you can’t mandate that your opponent stands in a circle of fire. The phantasms involve fire of course; intensifying the circle, rising flames of various colors, shooting bolts of flame at each other, conjuring walls of fire to defend yourself, and etceteras.

Antonio is a Master of Inirelte’s Certamen. Valentino merely has to stand in the circle to stand in the flaming circle to duel in the style of Inirelte, and as I mentioned this is just a show, he can still employ his mastery of the Hoplomachus. He forfeits Initiative, and in any round he can take a penalty to his Attack (up to equal of his Finesse score) and gain a Defensive bonus equal to twice that penalty. If he forfeits his attack altogether, he gets a Defensive bonus equal to three-times his Finesse score.

This is how the scores break down…

Antonio
Quick +2, Pre +2, Per -1, Int +2, Sta +3, Finesse 7 (precision), Penetration 6 (Creo), Parma Magica 9 (Mentem), Creo 16, Ignem 21
CrIg15 Test of the Flames (Mastery 3: Resistance, Penetration, Imperturbable)

Initiative Total: n/a (automatically wins because Valentino forfeits Initiative)
Attack Total (Creo/Ignem): +18/+23
Defense Total (Ignem/Creo): +20/+15
Weakening Total: Attack Advantage +12
Resistance Total: +15
Options: @ +3 to Attack or to Defense

Valentino
Quick -1, Pre +1, Per +1, Int +3, Sta +2, Finesse (Certamen) 2, Penetration (Ignem) 1, Parma Magica (Ignem) 8+2, Creo 24, Ignem 5
Master of Hoplomachus

Initiative Total: n/a (forfeits Initiative)
Attack Total (Creo/Ignem): +25/+6
Defense Total (Ignem/Creo): +6/+25
Weakening Total: Attack Advantage +5
Resistance Total: +13
Options: @ +2 to Defense for every -1 taken to Attack, up to a max of -3 Atk & +6 Def, or Forfeit Attack for a bonus of +9 Defense.

Please check my math for accuracy :smiley:

Antonio has first attack. He starts off light, wanting to see what you got. His initial attack uses Creo, and rolls a 3
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2030557/
So his initial Attack Total is 21
Callen, roll defense, the roll an attack

For his first Defense roll, Antonio is using Ignem plus Mastery, and rolls a 6
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2030560/
For an initial Defense Total of 29

Roll your dice and post results :smiley:

Note: Antonio will not spend Confidence on Attack, but he will do so for Defense if needed (doesn't want a younger magus to show him up you know)

[OOC - Why? He can't. Gotta love Mastery!!! (I know you're a fellow fan of it.)]

Yes, a few things to fix:

Stamina +2
Puissant Parma Magica

So the Resistance Total is +13

Chris

Valentino prepares for the Certamen, making slow, precise gestures. His body becomes covered in fiery Greek armor. A round shield of fire appears in his left hand and a javelin of fire appears in his right hand. He steps into the Test of Flame's circle.

As written earlier, Valentino started defending with Creo+6: 39.

He attacks back with Ignem-3: 7.

Fist round, no distinct advantage or disadvantage.

Antonio continues with the same tactics.
Rolls a Creo attack, rolling a 3 again
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2030600/
Attack Total 21

for defense, he rolls a 9
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2030604/
Defense Total 32