Chapter 8: The fair folk

The magi approach and in comparison to the hunters Mariella sounds like a moose in a laboratory so she draws some of the goblin sentry’s attention. One goblin appear from the undergrowth and is about to sounds the alarm as he attempts to put an arrow to his bow and fire at the approaching party. A fast cast spell may put him out of action before he calls out for help.

Initiative roll for goblin 7 (invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2633164/) +1 qui – 1 for short bow

Mariella is annoyed at the difficult terrain making a mockery of her training (cursed bad dice rolls) and tries a fast cast spell gambling on the creatures having a low might
fast cast roll
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2633286/
+1 Quickness, +2 finesse = 10
Fast cast PeVi Sap the faeries might
Spont total 37 -10 for fast cast
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2633289/
total roll 32 halved to 16
Mariella will go for a lvl 10 effect with a penetration of 6 +6(penetration) total 12
so if it has a might of 12 or less it loses 10 might

Tatiana can't do anything about silencing the goblin quiclly but she can protect the group by a leap to the front as she fast casts a spell and summons the circling winds of protection about her. To shoot at those behind her will mean going through the protective winds and that should spoil any shot. She herself is invisible so trying to hit her in the winds would be more than just a little difficult.

OOC Trying to get to front and cast circling winds to protect Mariella and the others from attack (I am assuming ReCo won't work on them which is why I am not using my disarm spell)

Initiative: Qik 1+Finesse 3+Stress 8+2 for quickcast=14
FAst Cast: Circling winds of protection: CT: 17 - 10 fast cast + 0 aura + 8 roll = 15 (spell goes off with fatigue)

If she needs to wizard's leap first to get in front of everyone then first spell is on init 13 (quick cast +1) and circling winds on 8 (quick cast +2)
Wizard's leap is CT: 32 - 10 fast cast + 5 roll = 27 (success)

Missile attacks on Tatiana are at -9 to hit and Her defense is +6 for invisibiliy (if they figure out someone is invisible in middle of winds. This makes her defense: brawl dodge 4 + invisibility 6 + roll 3 = 13 (with -9 on attacker's roll for missiles, -3 melee), Takes a Size Stress roll vs Tn 9 to approach for melee or winds blow person back.

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2633629/ (init and circling winds)
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2633658/ (defense and wizard leap)

Mariella swift spell blast into the goblins hide and before the party’s eyes it turns into a cloud of dust. The goblin did not have the time to sound the alarm but who knows if someone heard the spell casting. There are no sounds from anyone moving but that does not mean that no one has been alerted. The hunters looks like they wish that they where somewhere else. Shall I assume that the sneaking continues?

Damn, No Vis from that one

Mariella draws her breath, (Lost a faitgue level, intend to take 2 minutes rest to recover it before continuing to advance). Mariella will continue to try and move forwards stealthily.
(Cannot do dice rolls from work , if you need them feel free to roll them )

Stealth + Dex: Stealth 1 (sneak) + Dex 1 + 1d10=5, 1d10=1, 1d10=6, 1d10=3, 1d10=8 = 7, arguably 8.

Awareness + per: Awareness (alertness) 2 + per 0 + 1d10=9, 1d10=9, 1d10=9, 1d10=6, 1d10=1 = 11, possibly 12

Ardath waits a little, trying to see if mariella's spell casting has been detected. She doesn't believe they'll be able to sneak on the gobelins anyway. Probably better to charge and kill them. But yet, the closer the magi can go, the better.

The magi move closer to the fae camp. When they are a hundred paces from the camp it becomes apparent that there is some commotion in the camp. Perhaps one of the sentries has reported that there is something strange going on or perhaps there is something else. But the camp is filled with sounds and after a little while there seems to be movent in the forest towards the area that you are residing in. One of the hunters point at the camp and you can see a giant raising from the ground (must have taken a nap) he is about four paces high and set of in to the forest towards you.

Once the first goblins was gone, she dropped her wind. She moved forward carefully but doesn't know much stealth other than that she is invisible which goes a long way.

Tatiana carefully takes the time to note locations of rocks around her even as she moves into the shadow of a tree so that her shadow merges with the tree's shadow to conceal her presence. She will not attack right away. She is going to see if it talks first though she can cast to kill it quickly at need.

Is is quite difficult to Tatiana to locate small stones as there is a great deal of undergrowth. Bigger boulders however are quite easy to find.

Ardath stops moving, hides in the brushes, with a tree at her back and 2 grogs guarding her flanks.

She briefly ponders whether to attack or wait and see what the creatures are doing, and decides to wait a little

Tatiana is looking for stones the size of oranges to grapefruits or bowling balls. All can be tossed by her spell.

It seems as if the big creature is still walking towards the magi but the smaller goblins are not to be seen. The big creature moves at a slow pace. The hunters seem to become more nervous as it approaches.

Mariella calls out loudly in Latin
"Explain yourselves or die

If the faerie does anything except answer she casts a formulaic might stripping spell at the giant
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2642906/
Casting total 35+3 total 38
So lvl 10 spell with a penetration of 44

Knowing at a giant would not likely understand. Tatiana relays Mariella's words in Slavic and Russian before making sure she is hidden again. She does not want the beast hurt if it can be avoided and it is unlikely the fae speak latin. She is much more gentle in her words. "one of the Mountains, explain yourself please or my companion may seek to harm you for she is quick to anger.

The large brute stops and looks into the forest. We heard of intruders that where sneaking up on our camp. Come out here and speak with us. The giant waves with his hand in an effort to make the magi walk closer. We wish no harm to anyone. He speaks Slavic with a strange accent and his words are slow as if he had to think really hard on what he is saying.

"Have your others show themselves. They already tried to ambush some hunters in service to us and on our original approach, your sentry moved to attack rather than greet us. I do not like to hurt those of the winter court even as I am summer but I am not walking out into ambush. Tatiana looks around, her second sight active as she looks for those that should be here or were sneaking up on her.

I’ll summon my minions here, the giant speaks with his slow voice, we are friendly even to one of the summer court. Show yourself! He giant calls out. You can see a number of hand waves or bows glimpsing through the undergrowth. They are much closer than you had expect, the closest is no more than 10 paces away on the left flank. They seems to be good at sneaking in the undergrowth. The giant calls out again. We have shown good faith now come out and speak to me here.

"very well but I am going to protect myself as I do so and we can discuss what brings you here and why your men attacked one of mine hunting for food." She chants softly and her invisibility vanishes but she is still well hidden in lee of a tree. She then casts again and she is protected in circling winds as she steps forward. She will hope that her companions will step forward as well and the foresters should be moving to be in position to protect her even if she has to let her winds drop.

OOC: About how many of them are there?

PeVi Unraveling form of Im spont to cancel my invisibility, Fast cast CrAu to give myself some protective winds

the spont is Sta 2+pe 5+ vi 5 + 0 aura=12+roll 16 (1+8) = 28/2 = 14 which means dispells 24+stress (no botch) spell so success.
Circling Winds of Protection (CrAu 20) CT:17 +3 meth cast + 0 aura + 6 roll = 26 (goes off)

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2646822/
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2646824/

There are about a doznen goblins and the giant. The hunters will follow you and position themselves in a circle around the magi. Note that they are hunters and not any trained soldiers or paid to do any fighting for the covenant.

The goblins move back into the clearing and when the magi enter the clearing the giant speaks with his slow voice. Are you from the village over there? Points towards the covenant. Do you have the ears of the leaders? If so I have a few things to say to you.

The goblins are armed with bows but they keep the lowered for now and the giant does not carry any weapon but there is a boulder at his feet that could be thrown by him.

"Yes, You could say that I have the ears of the leaders there. What is the issue that you wish to speak about? Speaking to me will be as if speaking to them." Tatiana speaks softly. Of course speaking to her is speaking to them since three of the mages of the covenant are present here, an almost quorum. She is not going to say that though. Messenger to herself is a good enough role.