Chapter 8b - The Homefire

As the covenant grows, you can change the by-laws to fit the needs of the covenant. These membership rules are not the charter. They are themselves a portion of the by-laws.

I really don't think these questions would even be asked or considered, and a magus thus abusing the trial would be ripe for wizard's war.

However, "are you a diedne?", "are you a spy for a rival order or magical tradition?", "Do you have infernal powers?" are, IMO, all valid questions to be asked by any covenant, and don't oppose the code.
I'm even surprised these haven't been integrated in some peripheral code.

I do want her.
Dimir Taar doesn't, but antonio convinced him to give her a try. If ameline does anything bad for the covenant, he'll take the blame! :laughing:

Yes, Dimir vowed to "stick (Antonio's) head in the mud" if anything goes wrong :laughing:

Viola finds Ameline annoying and mildly distasteful, but she reacts that way to pretty much everyone, though perhaps to Ameline slightly moreso. It's not at any rate a justification for not making her a member.

Scott

OOC: can't wait to meet Viola... Put two merinita in a room and you have 3 oppinions on everything.

Very true. You should think more along the lines of "does this person add a value to our covenant?"

:smiley:
I suspect you will meet soon enough. If I can ever get Viola out of her Lab that is! :laughing:

OOC: Vares may disagree with Ameline, but he certainly sees no reason to oppose her membership in the Covenant. She could be a thought-provoking source of metaphysical debate, and her insights could prove particularly valuable.

I'm assuming based on previous statements that Vares is a Journeyman at Andorra, though with his assignment to external security and his age he qualifies as a Master.

You will be a Journeyman once you are voted in, which should be soon. You have plenty of support. I just need to get these new membership rules approved.
And yes, you are being fast tracked for promotion, and hopefully you will reach the rank of Master in three years (the membership time required).

Okay, Octavian, your visitor has finally arrived. Tacitus of Gurnicus from the covenant of Duresca in Iberia, and he is not alone. He is accompanied by a small entourage, including his fellow Quaesitor, Tresmilla filia Baruch of Gurnicus.

Quik note on the Quaesitors of Iberia: Baruch is the head Quaesitor of their Tribunal and he is a conservative Traditionalist. Tacitus is more of a moderate, but leans strongly towards Traditionalism. Tresmillia, the eldest filia of Barach with 25 years of experience, is more of a Transitionalist. Though taken into perspective, she would be considered a moderate Traditionalist in Provencal, as Iberia tends to be more conservative overall and Provencal is comparativly much more liberal.

However, their visit has nothing to do with politics. Tacitus has come to recieve your report concerning your Val-Negra expedition. Also, as his letter informed you, Releganta has escaped. Or been kidnapped. The Quasitores of Duresca have been keeping her captive for several reasons. Formost is information and intelligence. But she also seemed well and truly ignorant of the Infernal activities of Rasus, her parens. She was well and truly in a state of repentance it seemed. She had forsaken all of her use of magic, as she had come to realize she had a False Gift.

But a short time ago (just after you returned from Val-Negra), they discovered her cell was empty! None of the wards or physical structures had been broken or compromised, everything is intact. There is no residue of magic or other supernatural power that can be detected. This was either an inside job or something of a level of power beyond Durescas capabilities. The latter seems unlikely, though the Infernal can act in subtle ways that they may not have considered yet.

Octavian greets the other quaesitores in his meeting chambers. Tacitus is seated to his left on the triangular shaped table while the other two have ample space on his right. Once his maid has served everyone refreshments, he waves her bids her to leave and directs her to inform the guard not to allow anyone to disturb them.

He presents a large stack of documents and sealed missives to the group. Softly he intones. "Masters, you shall find what is requested. I humbly request that the other missives be sent to the corresponding covenants of both Iberia and Provençal tribunals."

After the three have had a chance to read the report, he lowers his head and speaks. "I understand that it is my responsibility to deal with Relegare and Metron as their former covenmate."

What are the documents you are providing them? Metron's captured Lab Notes and the Diaries? Or something else?
But anyways...
[color=green]Tacitus of Gurnicus: [color=red]Yes, we are presuming that Metron has something to do with this. We need to make this our number one priority. Tribunal is in summer, it would be optimal if we could resolve it by spring. Duresca is in a state of "Quiet Emergency". The order is to lay all other concerns aside, put an end to this matter once and for all, and conduct tribunal as peacefully as possible. Execute them on sight, they are both renounced magi and they pose to great a threat even in captivity. You are not alone on this, but we are relying upon you because you are the one that has had most recent contact with Metron and you are the most familiar with the both of them.

(I pmed you the contents of the documentation provided)

"Metron's command of the hermetic arts was as powerful as I am now during the time I was at Jaferiyah... Master Trentus has demonstrated an ability to face him on relatively equal terms and the capacity to track him down. He would prove quite useful."

Tremsilla politely excuses herself while Tacitus and Octavian continue conversing.

Vares, where are you? Tremsilla would like to meet the famous adventurer that partook in an expedition of such acclaim :smiley:

Octavian turns to her. "Mistress Tremsilla, your input in the conversation is valued. I apologize if my hospitality has somehow been found lacking."

She nods and winks and is out the door :wink:
She approaches the nearest servant (Ximena, daughter of Marcellus).
[color=green]Tresmilla: [color=red]Where might I find the legendary Vares of Flambeau, heroic Knight of Seneca? I have been wanting to meet the man for a while now :smiley:

OOC: Depending upon when the visitors arrive, they will most likely either find Vares working in his lab, or out in the field, collecting information on the surrounding area (including Arcane Connections) as stated previously. See my first post to this thread for details.

(well, it is up to you as to where you are at this moment. Does Ximena take Tresilla to your lab or out to the fields? I am allowing you to choose the setting for this conversation :wink: )

OOC: Couple of problems with that. #1 portcullis. #2 closest servant would be Octavian's maid.

#1 just cast a spell on it, #2 she is attended by her own personal servant

She could just Wizard's Hop to the other side as well :wink:
(Wizard's Hop is a low level spont teleport spell that takes you only 5 paces :laughing: )