Chapter 9: Valentino & Graziella make their presence known

[OOC - It should be noted that at the moment Valentino is a guest at Andorra and thus is not considered a permanent resident there. He would still be considered a permanent resident of Iberia (being away for a season certainly isn't atypical for a magus) until Andorra allows him to declare himself a permanent resident.]

Though Valentino and Graziella could return to the covenant very quickly from the drake hunt, they take their time to travel with the others. Valentino specifically wants to get to know Ludovico, Inigo, Carmen, and Dimir Taar. He also looks forward to getting to know Antonio better. Each at some point during the return trip:

To Antonio: [color=red]"Wonderful contest, Master Antonio. Is life frequently like this around here?" And later, [color=red]"Master Antonio, Graziella and I plan to travel to the Iberian Tribunal. As we are technically still residents of that Tribunal until you accept us here, are there any issues I should address or likely votes I should try to sway while there? Do you know if others from the covenant are planning to make the trip?"

To Carmen: [color=red]"Though we have raced each other and competed in this hunt - congratulations on bringing down Diablo Rojo - we have not been formally introduced. I am Valentino of Flambeau, Filius Demetrio, and this is my companion Graziella. As you know, we are new to Andorra. We have traveled here from Campo del Marte, where we have been for quite a while. I was even so fortunate as to have a chance to duel Master Antonio in certamen before leaving on this hunt. It is nice to still be in the presence of many Flambeau."

To Dimir Taar: [color=red]"Dimir Taar, congratulations on bringing down Diablo Rojo. I would like to introduce myself. I am Valentino of Flambeau, Filius Demetrio, and this is my companion Graziella. As you know, we are new to Andorra. We have traveled here from Campo del Marte, where we have been for quite a while." And later, [color=red]"I am interested in acquiring some items of quality (both in the non-magical and magical sense). The most valuable thing I have to offer is the ability to permanently enhance your body. If you are interested, perhaps we could arrange something."

To Inigo: [color=red]"Congratulations on bringing down Diablo Rojo, Inigo. I am Valentino of Flambeau, Filius Demetrio, and this is my companion Graziella. As you know, we are new to Andorra. We have traveled here from Campo del Marte, where we have been for quite a while. I was even so fortunate as to have a chance to duel Master Antonio in certamen before leaving on this hunt. It is nice to still be in the presence of many Flambeau."

To Ludovico: [color=red]"Greetings, Ludo. We have had little chance to talk despite having been on the same hunt. I am Valentino of Flambeau, Filius Demetrio, and this is my companion Graziella. As you know, we are new to Andorra. We have traveled here from Campo del Marte, where we have been for quite a while."

When they return to the covenant, Valentino will be sure to seek out Ameline. [OOC - Is there anyone I've missed?]

To Ameline: [color=red]"Greetings Ameline. I am Valentino of Flambeau, Filius Demetrio, and this is my companion Graziella. We are new to Andorra, having only been here for Master Antonio's drake hunt. We have traveled here from Campo del Marte, where we have been for quite a while. I have heard you are a healer of great repute. I, too, am a healer of note. We should find time to discuss techniques."

[OOC - Yes, Chris missed Octavian.]

Valentino will also seek out Octavian when they return from the drake hunt. [color=red]"Greetings, Octavian. I am Valentino of Flambeau, Filius Demetrio, and this is my companion Graziella. We are new to Andorra, having only been here for Master Antonio's drake hunt. We have traveled here from Campo del Marte, where we have been for quite a while. We are planning to travel to the Iberian Tribunal. Do you intend to make the same journey? If so, perhaps we should make the journey together."

Dimir Taar
Nothing exceptionnal for a team of andorran magi, I assure you.

Anyway, I like the way you're talking. We'll need to discuss these, but I am willing to find an arrangment. But tell me, why have you come here? Aside from this, do you have anything special to bring to out covenant? Hum... Now that I'm thinking, could you design ways to permanently improve our turb?

I like the way you are going at this, using the regular roleplaying format for your story. Just remember, this is your story, you are the Beta Storyguide in charge of this thread :slight_smile:

You are beginning to understand the Andorran methodology a bit better. Frequent exercise, periodic expeditions, and regular drills. If you think about it, no "Drakes" were killed on the hunt. Diablo Rojo was neutralized and banished, the drakes you encountered were turned into allies. The only real conflict was with the ogres, which seemed to be an unexpected event but you wonder about that. Perhaps Antonio was testing all the new applicants in the magical wilderness. As for the camp customs and military tradition, you find this very similar to the style taught to you at Campo de Martes. Andorra is not as rigid or formal, but they do demonstrate skill and discipline. The elite nature of the custos, this is what you are used to from Campo de Martes. Their casual attitude and frank demeanor with the magi, this is somewhat unexpected but not surprising. You have seen grizzled veterans before, and in the past you have witnessed young magi panic in the face of supernatural forces while mundane soldiers stand their ground. These men, the Andorran Guard, who knows what strange wonders they have encountered in their adventures alongside magi?

[color=green]Antonio Perez filius Coronado Cortez of Flambeau:[color=red]Oh yeah, all the time. No substitute for field experience. That's what makes my system unique. I have been lax on drills though, this whole expedition has shown that to me. I'm getting lazy in my old age.

[color=green]Antonio: [color=red]What you do is up to you. I have no interest in either Iberia or Provencal until they are willing to negotiate. If you are interested in the Iberian meeting, talk to Octavian. He has some Quaesitor duties there or some such.

[color=green]Carmen Maria Perez filia Antonio of Flambeau: [color=red]I missed out on the duel, I think I was busy.... Anyway, yes, the race was an amazing performance. I have been thinking that I need to improve on my own speed and stability in the sky. What sort of spell were you using? or was it an enchanted device?

Since Falls is MIA, I am invoking the permission he gave me long ago to use Inigo for dialogue when need be
[color=green]Inigo Elazar of Flambeau: [color=red]Salve sodale. I heard of your battle with the ogres as well. Well done. He looks up off in the distance, and it is obvious that his mind is elsewhere. He looks at the rose he wears upon his breast, then at the gold coin in his palm that he received from the Dragon as a token of his promise. Then he looks back over at you as he pockets the coin (meaning he puts it in his purse, since people didn't have pockets back then). [color=red]Yes, it is good to be amongst House brethren, as well as other sodales of a like mind. (puts out his hand for a shake) [color=red]I am also called Commander Xalbador of the Knights of Seneca, Antonio is our Grandmaster. We are a small societas of Flambeau warriors and adventurers, renowned throughout Europe as heroes that champion the cause of Light during the times of darkness. I would like to introduce you to my brothers, I think they would like you.
So you say you seek to join Andorra, eh? That is what I have heard.

Valentino replies, [color=red]Graziella and I came here from Campo de Marte in Leon, near Zamora. We have been there since shortly before the end of my apprenticeship, when my parens helped found the covenant. Over the last twenty-some years we have spent a lot of time involved in the wars in Iberia. As much as we like Campo de Marte, it has a very limited scope. We seek other challenges and broader experiences with the esoteric. Broader experience would include associating with magi of other houses. Andorra seems to provided us with a favorable balance: a number of flambeau so we maintain ties with our own house and a number of magi of other houses so we work with and learn from them, too. Andorra also seems to have more than its share of the esoteric, which is quite exciting."... [color=red]"As for what we bring, I am known as a warrior and a healer. My wife is a great warrior herself. Not only can we fight well, but we are heavily trained in fighting alongside the grogs. I have specifically practiced extending my Parma Magica as far as possible; at this point I can shield two small units of grogs or one large unit with greater strength than many magi could shield only themselves. I bring strong healing skills with me as well, even the ability to heal without vis, as you may have witnessed with the peasant we rescued." (Valentino did a vis-less group healing ritual earlier. He also has a reputation in the Order.) [color=red]"And, yes, I can permanently improve the turb."

Ameline considers the greeting "Through God's grace, I have the ability to heal. It is his gift that he has chosen to channel through my hands. The thanks go to him and not to me. I am skilled in treating of wounds and disease that they heal naturally as well." Ameline will try to fit some time for discussions in. She will be going to the Provencal Tribunal at some point but the trip should take only minutes to get there thanks to her habit of collecting and labeling stones. "As for the repute, I do not seek fame, I do not seek notice in that way. Only that my patients thrive in body and sout is my desire." She doesn't mention that soul is the more important of the two.

Dimir Taar
So, you're this valentino. I have heard some rumors of your skills as a healer. Anything that can save vis is always usefull, of course, and I like a man that knows how to fight like a warrior, alone and in group. But knowing you could improve your turb, especially at little cost, that is interesting :smiling_imp:

[OOC - :open_mouth: Ugh!!! I had just finished replying to everything in this message and had it killed by a 404 error. :cry: ]

[OOC I'll be shifting to a more self-directed portion when dealing with the tribunal and things around it. You did say the tribunal is in the spring, right? I'll also include what they're doing in the other seasons here. But for now this seemed like a good way to deal with introductions.]

[color=red]"Not to worry, Master Antonio. I'm sure Graziella and I will be involved in plenty of drills, though of course laboratory work tends to cut into that."

[color=red]"Thank you. We will be sure to speak with Octavian." [OOC - I've already started this above. Just waiting for Octavian's reply.]

Graziella smiles visibly. [color=red]"Thank you, Carmen," she replies. Valentino leans to nicker quietly close to Graziella's ear. He then adds, [color=red]"It was Graziella's natural talent, limited by my skill at riding. She could go even faster if I weren't slowing her down, couldn't you, dear?"

[color=red]"Yes, we are interested in joining Andorra. Graziella and I came here from Campo de Marte in Leon, near Zamora. We have been there since shortly before the end of my apprenticeship, when my parens helped found the covenant. Over the last twenty-some years we have spent a lot of time involved in the wars in Iberia. As much as we like Campo de Marte, it has a very limited scope. We seek other challenges and broader experiences with the esoteric. Broader experience would include associating with magi of other houses. Andorra seems to provided us with a favorable balance: a number of flambeau so we maintain ties with our own house and a number of magi of other houses so we work with and learn from them, too. Andorra also seems to have more than its share of the esoteric, which is quite exciting... The Knights of Seneca intrigue us as well. They sound of like mind, and knowing what we know of you and Master Antonio, I'm sure we would like them quite a bit." Valentino hesitates before continuing but decides to nonetheless. [color=red]"Might I ask about the rose? As you have no doubt noticed, I am no stranger to love. Graziella's and my relationship is quite a bit closer than the typical one between magi and familiars."

Take my advice. Whenever making a long post, before you click "Submit", copy and paste the thing into a word document. That way, if there is a glitch, you can save the thing and repost it via copy paste. You can also spell check that way too :slight_smile:

Anything involving Tribunal will have to be directed through Octavian directly. Send him a private message. I can give you some ideas of what goes on or you can invent your own and write some story about it. But Octavian and I have already worked out the major details between ourselves.
Wait, I am ASG. It is my responsibility to conference with Octavian and have him contact you. I shall do so.

[color=green]Antonio: [color=red]Interested in drills, eh? Tell you what, when we get back to the covenant, design a drill or two that you would recommend. Something they do at Campo de Martes or an idea of your own you've been itching to try.

I will contact Octavian later and work out details with him

[color=green]Carmen: [color=red]I see. So, you and your horse are really close I take it?

[color=green]Valentino: [color=red]The rose was a reminder of days gone by, but the past gives way to the present, so now it reminds me to focus on the here and now.
Camp de Marte, eh? I admire their professionalism, and they fought bravely in the Shadow Wars.
If you are seeking Broad experience, you will find it here. the depth of what I have learned...
In time you will come to know. But anyway, I heard you were invited to design a drill? I understand that you are able to create a formidable Wizard's Lance (covering your shield grogs in Parma and fighting alongside them)[color=red]. I favor this tactic as well, we could learn much from each other.

[color=red]"I hope you take your reputation as a compliment. It speaks well of your care for your patients. Even the Lord Jesus Christ has a great reputation, but I doubt anyone would dare claim He did His great deeds seeking fame. In these cases reputation is recognition of the presence of God's grace and of someone's soul following a good path."

[OOC - Does Ameline mention that she has arcane connections to near the tribunal? If so Valentino will ask to use one so he can pick up a connection of his own. Of course, he also makes sure he has a local one on-hand.]

Valentino, too, tries to fit in discussions about healing techniques. No doubt they'll both be pretty busy, but getting in a few chats around meals and the like is bound to happen.

[color=red]"Yes, we will have to discuss how much the covenant can afford to augment the turb. I can make it much more affordable, but still not free. We don't want to use up all the Creo or Corpus vis supplies on the endeavor. However, I think the covenant should definitely consider doing it a lot. That way the time invested in the turb has a greater return; the longevity of the individual grogs is to everyone's benefit... My preferred fighting style is to work with a small group and make pinpoint strikes behind enemy lines using magic to mask our presence while protecting all of us with my Parma Magica. I also know a number of spells to enhance armor and protect bodies. Master Antonio has already asked me to work on some drills. I expect I will start with some of these tactics."

[OOC - OK. Most of the stuff I'm planning to write myself will be centered around the trip and not necessarily at the tribunal itself. For the tribunal I will make sure I check everything with Octavian.]

Valentino puts together a surgical precision drill. He'll take a small group of grogs (the ones with whom he just worked are welcome to join) who can form a single fighting unit with him. He'll start by teaching them to function with Eyes of the Bat in darkness. Once they can move around each other fluidly, he'll upgrade things: they'll work on it in daylight with Wizard's Sidestep also on them. Once they've got that comes the real drill: attempts to slip past a number of other guards to subdue one guard while both spells are active as well as Aura of Inconsequence, Gift of the Bear's Fortitude, Hardness of Adamantine, Hauberk of Sublime Lightness, and Valentino's Parma Magica. Once they have this down pretty well Valentino will invite Antonio, Dimir Taar, Inigo, and anyone else who has expressed interest (which probably means all the Flambeau) to observe the drill.

[OOC - I should mention for clarity that Graziella cannot speak as a horse, though she can mentally communicate with Valentino. When chatting with people she is in human form. Enough transformations can be done in a day that this is rarely an issue, though, for example, she won't transform in the middle of travel to make a little comment.]

[color=red]"Graziella and I are not only magus and familiar, but also knight and courser and husband and wife for all intents and purposes."

[color=red]"We look forward to to just such depth of experience. I would love to learn even some of what you have seen... As for the drill, I will be selecting a small team to work together periodically through the rest of the autumn and the winter. I will invite you to see the drill... If you, too, are a fan of the Wizard's Lance, perhaps we should duel in the style of [That style with the grogs. I have to look up the name at home.][color=red] at some point. That is my favorite style."

Carmen is creeped out at the idea of you being intimate with your horse, even while shapeshifted. But she keeps it to herself. Wizards do strange things after all...

[OOC - That was part of the idea behind it. I figured I would get some interesting reactions.]

Dimir Taar
We think alike on this. Of course, we magi must be first, but we deserve an elite, competent guard, and any effort made in this way will be rewarded multiple times, if only with greater dedication and efficiency.

As for battle, I like to face my opponents directly, which should work well with your "from behind" approach: I believe in crushing them with absolute certainty and all force and means available. Unless playing with them, of course :smiling_imp:

Same thing with DT. This is... Worse than being a commoner!!! Yuk! Must PeMe himself! :laughing:

"I would ask that you not blaspheme by trying to name me as our Lord and Savior. He is God, of course he is known by everyone with a pious and just heart. He is the only begotten son of God and he did as God would have done. I believe in god and have faith in him but I am not God and would not claim I am. I hope that he channels his will through me but I try to do his will not him doing mine. The comparison of Ameline to God is offensive and upsetting to the Magic. "Are you one of the heathen of the order that you speak so lightly of God and his only begotten son? If not, you might want to confess. As for my reputation, I have little control over it but I do not seek one or ask for one. My reward is in seeing the sick healing and faithless finding their faith."

No, she doesn't mention her collection of arcane connections. She has no reason to mention it. Plus they won't do you much good as they are mostly about the Provencal tribunal and only a couple in iberia and some in Andorra area.

Valentino replies, [color=red]"I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I was not saying that at all. I was pointing out that the greatest reputations can come from the greatest good. One need not seek fame to earn a reputation. That is all."