Chapter III (1230-1234)

I'll come up with character sheets for Edith the cook and Vera the horse groomer, some time this evening. I'll make character sheets for Vulc's children by them too, if you assign them genders. Can one of them have had twins? And are any of them Gifted?

I had an idea a while back for a pair of identical twins, one Gifted and one not.

Those two redheads gave birth on the same day.
Just sayin'...

Come along, Pond!

In early Spring, Vibria will knock on Vocis's door.

After a brief interlude of exchanging niceties, Vibria will get to the point. [color=red]”I was planning on exploring the area in a couple of months, see what's around here and maybe track down some vis, or hopefully even some vis sources. Are you interesting in coming with me?”

And there is no proof that either of these kids is yours. Maybe neither is. You know nothing, but I am sure someone around here has Visions and had a dream about it. Something about a false child and a hidden child.
You know nothing!
But I suggest you go see Carmen's mother Golda in Barcelona and let her do a teacup reading.

Of course. It's been quite a while since I actually stretched my legs outside the covenant. How long a trek did you have in mind? I was planning some lab work next season but that's easily rescheduled.

(Moved to its own thread. Marko, if you want to move these posts there, too, that would be awesome. Thank you.)

It's Winter 1233, and everyone is freezing, when Arachne manages to get a hold on Vocis.

The maga looks like her age, wearing an heavy coat enchanted with a Creo Ignem spell to keep her warm*.

Vocis, if you'd spare some time for an old lady?

You're a master of deceptive magics, and I've never taken the time to consult you for advice. This is an error that I intend to repair.
I think we should discuss how to protect Andorra, should another attack occur. I'm doing what I can, but I've yet to find a way to stop a similar assault, especially a way to protect the covenfolks.
This is, I think, were you may help. I think you might be able to craft grand illusions that hide your library or treasury, which seemed to be their targets, or even the covenant itself. Nonetheles, since I'm far from an expert on these matters, I defer to you: My ideas could prove unfeasible, or you might have better ones.

• CrIg base 2, +1 touch, +2 sun = lvl 05.

Roberto has an idea for charged items he would like to discuss with Arachne. Or rather, I myself would like to discuss the idea in terms of mechanics with Fixer :smiley:
I figure these are things Roberto could make when he gets the time. But Arachne can knock them out much-much quicker. The idea is a series of "bombs" that deliver spell effects to an area; +1 Touch, +1 Diameter, +2 Group/Room/Area. As a cosmetic effect, the spell is delivered via gas/smoke/flash/sound.
I know this doesn't seem like perfect Hermetic theory. I don't mind affecting a single person only with those parameters. The idea is that the "bomb" doesn't have to hit the target, just close enough. Easy aiming roll. It could otherwise be Voice/Diam/Ind, which is actually a magnitude easier and could be a wand. But this doesn't seem as mythic or cool. When you are Roberto, it has to be cool. Even if it makes it harder.

Item #1
ReCo25 Paralysis Bomb
[tab][/tab]This is a small piece of amber encased in a thin sphere of glass, about the size of a marble. It is hurled with enough force to crack open near the target or strike them (+3 to Finesse roll to simply strike the ground close enough to them). The target is held immobile and paralyzed for the space of a Diameter, which as a cosmetic effect is the result of being struck by a concussive wave.
(base 5, +1 Touch, +1 Diam, +2 area effect)

Item #2
CrIg25 Flash Bomb
[tab][/tab]This is a small piece of (something) encased in a thin sphere of glass, about the size of a marble. It is hurled with enough force to crack open near the target or strike them (+3 to Finesse roll to simply strike the ground close enough to them). The target is temporarily blinded by an intensely bright flash of light unless them make a Stamina stress roll of 9+. The effect persists for a Diameter, but if the Stamina roll botches then it could last days or weeks.
(base 5, +1 Touch, +1 Diam, +2 area effect)

Item #3
ReMe25 Slumber Bomb
[tab][/tab]This is a small piece of (something) encased in a thin sphere of glass, about the size of a marble. It is hurled with enough force to crack open near the target or strike them (+3 to Finesse roll to simply strike the ground close enough to them). The bomb releases a sweet smelling colored gas that covers an area ten paces in diameter. Those within must make a Stamina stress roll of 9+ each round they are in the affected area, or they are knocked unconscious for the duration.
(base 4, +1 Touch, +1 Diam, +2 area effect, +1 Auram requisite enhances effect)

Looking very spidery-like, the tip of her fingers touching themselves, the old maga hears Roberto with attention, before looking thoroughly over his diagrams and charts.

I think I like it. As you say, enchanting a wand might be easier, but you might be able to use bombs as traps, when under a silencing spell, or when you want to avoid making noise.

Now, I've looked over your texts, and I think it's fine. You won't be using standard hermetic targets, which will make the spells slightly harder than otherwise, but you've already factored that in. Allow me...
She takes some wax tablets and draws some notes and quick diagrams, knowing that roberto will easily understand her
Your first two bombs are not unlike an individual-sized area of effect. They affect only one person, touched or very close to them. If we follow bonisagus's 1st principle of exotic targets, this should warrant one extra magnitude over individual, just like you calculated.

The third one... I think you made a slight error in invoking Aerial powers. Just like the previous bombs, this uses an exotic target, although this one is based on Room, yet without a room. You should then be able to create it with one or two additional magnitudes, without weakening your magic by wasting additional Auram energies.

In short: Everything uses non-standard targets. The first two are Special Target based on Invidivual, thus +2 magnitude, as you wrote it. The third one is a Special Target based on Room, but affecting a room-sized volume instead, so +3 magnitudes, as you wrote it. You don't need an Auram requisite, the gas being just a cosmetic effect. Otherwise, it's golden! :smiley:

Excellent :smiley:
Now how do I go about commissioning you for this project?

Always.

Vocis ponders for a bit, then says Well, that's certainly a challenge. To address your proposals first, yes, illusions to mask buildings or the covenant itself could certainly be developed. My concern is that a determined enemy could bypass these rather quickly. This is doubly true if the enemy is already familiar with the layout or location of the covenant. If our goal is to defend against the same assailants that attacked in 1229, we'll need something much more complex.

I'm going to run through my ideas OOC for simplicity. I'm also going to ignore the details of any linked triggers. We can sort that out later.

Masking any of the buildings is a pretty simple MuIm effect. There's a spell in the NWG that conceals a castle at level 20. Even accounting for any NWG-related not-quite-rightness, that's something Vocis can manage pretty easily. Masking the covenant on short notice would be difficult/impossible, since it will (presumably) require a Boundary target and thus a ritual spell. If we're going to do this, we'd need to maintain it at all times and come up with ways to circumvent the illusion on a daily basis. There's also Illusion of the Misplaced Castle (ReIm 50) in the core book, but a) it's a ritual, b) it only lasts Sun duration, and c) we'd really need a lab text or casting tablet before Vocis can cast it. I think covenant-scale illusions are off the table as a reactive defense.

Once we get down to Room level, either for the library or the treasury, we have a lot more options. Here are some ideas...

• Illusory ghosts that wander the halls and rooms, moaning or whispering horrible things and giving off a cold aura (CrIm with auditory and haptic species, maybe some Ig thrown in, maybe some Me for the ability to react to stimuli, Group target)
  • Frightening noises/voices behind the walls (CrIm with auditory species, possibly Structure target)
  • Fill a room with darkness (PeIg or CrIm depending on how we do it, Room target)
  • Fill a room with illusory fire that feels hot (CrIm with haptic species, Room target)
  • Mask the contents of a room with an illusion of a different room (CrIm, Room target)
  • Make the contents of a room invisible (PeIm, Room target)
  • Make all the books in the room/tower look identical (MuIm with visual and haptic species, not sure about target)
  • Create a room within a room, with an illusion of walls a few feet inside the actual walls, assumes important contents are along the walls (CrIm with haptic species, Room target)
  • Audrey's Kaleidoscope from the NWG, which would be very fun with Vocis's spiral sigil (MuIm, probably needs revising)

None of these would need to penetrate, with the exception of those with haptic species. Unfortunately, all of these can be overcome by someone with basic knowledge of Hermetic magic. They're best for fooling mundanes. To affect a magus with illusion-style effects, we'd need to switch to Mentem and add in a bunch of penetration. I have a few ideas, but Vocis can't make them.

• Cause target to forget why he entered a room (PeMe, Touch or Room target)
  • Induce fear, guilt, or calm in a target (CrMe, Touch or Room target)
  • Panic of the Trembling Heart focused on valuable objects or areas (CrMe, Touch or Room target)

That would be a pretty effective way to keep Vibria from poking around where you don't want her poking, actually. :smiley:

Surprised, Arachné laughs out loud, heartily, for the first time since... way too long

You got me there, sir. Well done! :smiley:
Problem is, things aren't as simple as they appear. As we discussed, I can produce charged items in great quantities. But my art has its limits, one of these being those of my craft. And I know nothing of glassblowing, sadly: Such simple glassware would probably be very easy to create*. I could, however, create similar items under the guise of wooden spiders, for such is my specialty. It probably won't be as efficient, though, but given a proper trigger, it could do the trick.
Of course, that's not all, for I am also limited by my knowledge of the arts.
She muses over the documents, scrappes and writes on the wax tablets...
The first and third, I could do about 2 in two days, being competent enough in Rego, Corpus and Mentem.
But Creo Ignem... I suck at both, which makes the second item beyond my reach :frowning: Not unless I do these as regular Charged Items, something you'd do a lot better than me.

She ponders a little.
Tell you what? I am old, and easily forgets, so I will need you to remind me. But... You remind me of my friend Antonio, despite your lack of... goattitude. I've enjoyed your company, and will miss you.
Since you are going to join Andorra and take some risks for us, the least I can do is give you some, should these please you despite their peculiarities. You tell me, but this is a gift I would gladly make.**

• 90 glass flasks per season for an artisan with skill 05, meaning about 01 per day. To compare, a simple spider takes her slightly under 02 days at skill 8.
    ** If she takes 8 days out of 10 free in Winter 1234, she should be able to craft him 8 spiders.

Don't forget that, by 1230, the Spider gave the covenant a Poor Sahir's Flying Carpet, which might calm carmen a little on that front.

If she really wants one, it should be evident for her that she can ask Arachné :wink:
Although the old maga is busy enough as it is :-/ At worst, she can still cram out more Poor Sahir's Flying Carpets, though.

Arachné absolutely LOVES all of Vocis ideas. This is christman time for her
This is awesome!!! You're even better at this than Clarisse! Used sparcingly, we can even hope to counfound an Hermetic Magus, especially if we mask the contents of a room with an illusion of a different room. Even the other illusions could, at worst, confuse them and make them lose enough time for the Magi to rally!
We just need to do some of these, we just need to decide what and where. Hell, we can maybe even cooperate with these, with my extanding your effect's durations.

(Although I think the write up on the second half of Audrey's Kaleidoscope is a little wanky. This might impede concentration or targeting, but there's absolutely no reason for it to stop a magi from casting a Voice or Sight range spell at the room or something within it. Sure, it may appear as though made of pink water, but it's still perceived)

A devious, wicked half-smile on her lips, making Vocis understand why she is called the Spider, the old maga answers: With this, I can help. I can design traps that'll rid a magus of his Parma Magica. This'd only leave the Form Resistance as a defense, which you should be able to penetrate. I could, of course, rob him of that as well, although this'd need him to activate a second trap in the right order.

The efficacy depends on another factor we haven't mentioned - the enemy's ultimate goals. If he's assaulting the covenant with theft in mind, illusions such as these will definitely slow him down. If he's looking to simply destroy everything, the delay will be brief. Also, you mentioned safeguarding the treasury. My illusions can't mask vis from Hermetic detection. It's possible this could be done with Perdo Vim by someone other than me.

I agree. It's a delaying tactic that works much better on mundanes.

Vocis returns her nasty smile. Well that's different. If we remove the need for penetration, I can enchant any Mentem effect of fourth magnitude or lower in a season. That should be sufficient for brief, overwhelming emotions. Before Arachne can respond, his good humor disappears. There is one major factor you need to consider, though. I have significant control over my spells. I can strengthen or weaken formulaic spells while casting, my spells last much longer than they should, and I can cancel an effect with a thought. However, these abilities come with a price. Every enchantment I make will die with me. I haven't mentioned this around Vulcanus because he'd likely insist I should be kept from enchanting anything, even personal items. However, I do want you to consider this as we formulate these plans.

His smile comes back, though it's a bit sad now. I actually used this in my first enchantment. Amelia's wedding ring. As long as the color of the stone can be changed, she knows I'm still alive.

Antonio. I met him one time at the Tagus when I was baptized a Knight of Seneca. Santiago told me to call him Grandmaster out of respect for his age and accomplishments. I heard about how he was taken by Twilight during his last battle. My condolences for your friend. I hope you see him again someday.
As for a lack of "goattitude", I do admit I am often conservative in such regards. Though every man has his lapses. But I do believe I have found True Love. Though it has not been an ideal situation for either of us. I am in love with a Triton Princess, Sotiera of the undersea city of Heracleion. I know it must be true love, for ever since our first night together the curse that burdens our magical gift has been lifted from me. Mundanes think I am one of them unless I display my power, and my presence no longer disturbs people. Or animals. Even horses!
I cherish our stolen moments together, but they are few and far between. She has a city to rule and a noble lineage to think of. She is a daughter of the sons of Triton, son of Neptune King of the Sea. I have won her heart, but to win her hand I have to win the respect of "gods". And I am a Christian man! How am I to earn the respect of false gods? How do you think that will make Jesus feel? As it is, she is able to slip away and meet with me every blue moon, when she is able to assume human form. There is this little fishing village in Evissa we like to stay at.
Yeah, she's a mermaid. Which is really kinky and weird, but she's hot. Not all scaly and mossy like other mermaids. Milky white skin, big green eyes, flowing golden hair, and a pair of...
um, she has a fish tail instead of legs. With a pair of fins. :slight_smile:
But a blue moon is like what? Once a year? I get to see my girl fiend a week once every *year? That sucks.
We do have a way of spending some quick time aside under the sea. She can grant people the gift to breath and stay dry underwater. And it's underwater, so she's a mermaid. Which is kinky and weird. I don't mind that though. It is just that it isn't quality time. It's fun. She showed me some interesting shipwrecks and we explored a chasm. But usually it is just a quick lunch and a quick "nap". And the last time I got to see her was a month ago. The Tritons are meeting with diplomats from Atlantis, something about some treaty concerning something I simply do not understand. And she has to be all hostess-y and attend dinners and receptions. And right now there is some other guy dancing with my gal, and it burns me up inside...
So I deal with it by focusing on my duty.
And on that note, I accept your gift. Peculiarities and all. Sleeping spiders. I have a spell for paralysis and I am not yet skilled with Mentem spells. Now the question is the Activation. It needs to be a Natural trigger, not an Environmental one. It is for use against mundanes, so no Penetration and no worry about it backfiring. Squeeze and throw, once it hits something it goes off. The sleeping spider, that one has a true area of effect and affects multiple people (+3 magnitudes), that one is best suited for this concept.

All the while, Arachne listens to Vocis carefully.
I agree, but everything we can do is good to take. The more we prepare, the harder a time they would have. Now, masking our vis stores, that's an idea, and something I should be able to do. I know a thing of two about Perdo Vim. This is, after all, just a variant of Masking the Odor of Magic. Too bad I probably can't spont this :-/ But!!! I can probably craft a spider that would do it! And you could further hide it from mundane detection.

Pe 15 + Vim 14 + Sta 01 + Aura 05 = 35.
If she does something with Ring / Circle and Touch, she can have a base up to 20, for a 1-time only spider. This would hide our vis from spells under (20+10)*2 = lvl 60. Nice.

Arachne frowns
Now, that's surely a problem... But as I see it, unless and until someone else can do it, this is better than nothing, even if it means we'll have to replace these enchantments sooner or later. Your usage of covenant vis for covenant purposes is for the council to decide, and even it has no say on how you use your vis allotment.
Should the council rule that we're better off with your help than without it, it'll provide he resources you need. And Vulcanus... Vulcanus is not the only one with an office here :imp: I am the Warden of Andorra, and its protection falls under my duty, not his.

I didn't knew you were married. This must mean I haven't socialized as much as I should have :wink:. But that's nice, and a nice present.

Actually, behind her relatively distant behavior, she is pleasantly surprised by Vocis, who proves to be a clever and competent magus, and a nice human being. That's very nice of him, and this betrays his concern for his wife. I overlooked him in favor of vulcanus, and that's a mistake, on all points. Sigh... And I must say I envy him. Isabelle... I do miss you.

All the while, Arachne listens to Vocis carefully.
I agree, but everything we can do is good to take. The more we prepare, the harder a time they would have. Now, masking our vis stores, that's an idea, and something I should be able to do. I know a thing of two about Perdo Vim. This is, after all, just a variant of Masking the Odor of Magic. Too bad I probably can't spont this :-/ But!!! I can probably craft a spider that would do it! And you could further hide it from mundane detection.

Pe 15 + Vim 14 + Sta 01 + Aura 05 = 35.
If she does something with Ring / Circle and Touch, she can have a base up to 20, for a 1-time only spider. This would hide our vis from spells under (20+10)*2 = lvl 60. Nice.

Arachne frowns
Now, that's surely a problem... But as I see it, unless and until someone else can do it, this is better than nothing, even if it means we'll have to replace these enchantments sooner or later. Your usage of covenant vis for covenant purposes is for the council to decide, and even it has no say on how you use your vis allotment.
Should the council rule that we're better off with your help than without it, it'll provide he resources you need. And Vulcanus... Vulcanus is not the only one with an office here :imp: I am the Warden of Andorra, and its protection falls under my duty, not his.

I didn't knew you were married. This must mean I haven't socialized as much as I should have :wink:. But that's nice, and a nice present.

Actually, behind her relatively distant behavior, she is pleasantly surprised by Vocis, who proves to be a clever and competent magus, and a nice human being. That's very nice of him, and this betrays his concern for his wife. I overlooked him in favor of vulcanus, and that's a mistake, on all points. Sigh... And I must say I envy him. Isabelle... I do miss you.

Excellent. The combination should make life difficult for any Hermetic thief, at least for a short while.

Good golly. If they can see through that, they can have the vis. Of course, one good Wind of Mundane Silence renders most of this moot.

I wouldn't expect the council to side with him. I'd just rather not have to deal with his dramatics. My weakness does come with a hidden advantage though. If we accept that the enchantment will not outlive me, I can create them with a 70 year expiration and thus increase the power of the effects or the speed with which I can make them. Surely we can find new solutions before the turn of the next century.

(OOC note - I realize I might be munchkining with that. If the troupe objects, I'll redact the proposal.)

Vocis gives her a look of amused surprise. I should say so. It's clearly past time for you to dine with us. I'll speak with Amelia and we'll arrange something informal. She's accustomed to sharing my Parma, so don't worry about any Gift-related difficulties.

Um...thanks, I guess? :slight_smile:

(Just checking...Per 2 + Folk Ken 3 + spec 1 + roll 4 = 10...he probably picks up some sadness, but not enough to ask about it.)

Exactly. And it just occured to me that, for Vis, we don't even need to cloak it in illusions. We can use Gather the Essence of the Beast, or a similar effect, to put it into inocitous items. So long as they're inside the circle, they won't appear as magical, says Arachné.

Yes... But to dispell a lvl 30 effect (I'm downgrading it a little), they'd need a lvl 60 WomS. Still possible, but unlikely :smiling_imp:

Arachné sighs I understand :unamused: But we'll do what we have to do, Vulcanus be damned.

(I, personnally, would just scrap that rule, since that effect expiry almost never comes into play, so it's not really a disadvantage. And even if it does, by then, a lost season is worth it. But as far as I can tell, yes, Vocis can perfectly do it :wink: )

The aging maga gives Vocis a warm smile
It'll be a pleasure, and a privilege.