Chapter IV (1234-1240)

[color=red]Oh no. Our struggles are compleatly different. Some may say we are part of Barcelona's problem. The Mercere Lodge at Yvall's is run by Redcaps that are former members of our covenant. We have a sweet 60/40 split managing a major vis resource they discovered. Many years ago our Val-Negra expedition resulted in detroying a secret portal they controlled. Our Pontifex has family here that are mixed up in their own intrigues. And the list goes on.
But Barcelona depends on us for financial and political support. And we have come to their aid many times. We manage their vis source at Sa Dragonera for them and run the Mercere lodge for them. And our own Solomon, my mentor, he is the one who put together the agreement to set up the portal network.
You arrive at Yvall's and from there to Andorra. You present your credentials and you make an appointment for...

A Meeting with Master Vocis

(the title of your next story)

Fantastic, says Arachné in a sigh.

Now, let me think...
She counts on her fingers as she speaks
We should try to ascertain with precision what it is, and what it wants. Even if it ain't an infernal spirit, which remains to be proved, it could still prove an hasard to us. What are its strengths and weaknesses? Its powers? It seems limited to special times or places, but are we sure of that?

It seems interested in blood. What does it uses that for? I don't want it gaining control over Andorra inhabitants. Would animal blood be ok? Can we fool it?

Also, it aluded to some ancient mysteries. What can it put to the table? What does it know that we don't? Why should we listen to it, and trade with it, instead of just enslaving or destroying it? I'm willing do treat it as an equal partner, but it should be conscious that it has nothing to gain in trying to push us.

"The thing we know most about it is that it likes to bluff, but doesn't do so very well. Without blood it can appear on the night of October the 31t each year, with blood it can appear where the blood is spilled, and it seems to be forced to depart at sunrise, possibly sunset if blood is offered during the day. Given that blood define when it can be active that is it's probable link to blood. Aside from that, we have used animal blood to treat with it one time, and I believe it will accept it again, especially now that it knows we won't fall for its bluffs. We have conflicting research, some suggest it is from a short lived cult of Rome which mixed heretical Christian teachings with those of the cult of Pluto in an attempt to achieve some form of immortality. The other suggests a faction of Diedne which fled to the island and avoided the great cure by already being dead- becoming living ghosts in order to avoid becoming just dead magi."

Arachné sighs in relief.

Well done. Very well done.
Hum... Maybe we could use its connection to blood to trap it, should the need arise.

Now, what you've gathered gives me pause. It looks like we've got the possibility to either attain greater power to ourselves, or get a lead on possible Diedne survivors. That looks almost too god to be true, but also means we should thread carefully. Not only could this be a trap, we don't want to warn any potential Diedne that we're after them.She pauses a little, thinking
Maybe you can try to enlist Antoine? He's skilled in both Rego and Intellego Mentem, if I recall correctly, and struck me as an insightful and perceptive young man. You should also inform Carmen of your findings. This is the first potential link on Diedne survivors I've ever seen, and could be quite huge.

"I'll ask him to join me for All Hallows Eve, no point using blood when we can wait and talk then."

Thanks, Fleur. I shall try to come and help you, but I can't promise anything, which is why I rely on you so much. Be careful. Aaaand... If he's around, try to get a hold on Roberto. As a flambeau warrior, he may know a think or two about diedne, should this lead prove fruitful.

Soon after her discussion with Antoine, the Spider briefly accosts Carmen.

Carmen, my dear, if you have a moment?

A recent conversation with young Antoine made me realize that we are sorely understaffed. Several Masters have left us, and their absence is being felt, most notably the dragonkin.
As I see it, covenant management is now down to you, Solomon, Vocis and I. We need a Herald, we need an Artifex, and, most of all, we need a Marshall.

Now, I know our journeymen have only been there for a couple of years, and I would normally be the first to advocate for patience and restreint. But some of them have shown their willingness to be a part of this Covenant. She smiles wryly. We should reward them with greater duties. Not all of them, mind you. We can use this to shake things up a little, get some emulation and competition going between our junior members, show them they can earn our respect and trust.

I think it's time to open the ranks a little.

Yes. I am inclined to agree. We have had to pull double duty and it distracts us from our projects.
There are three I feel are well qualified. Fleur has impressed me. She is a bunny, and that is annoying. But she just returned from a successful expedition to the Caverns of Entropy. I don't know the details or what her objective was, but she broght everyone home intact and seemed pleased. I also am interested in her research and think we should fund it.
Roberto can be an ass. And an asset. He reminds me of my dad but without the talent for the ladies.He is good at what he does, and I think he can be better than he realizws. He is with Solomon in Egypt now. We will get his feedback.
Antoine is young. But he made us a new flying carpet and has other really good invention ideas.
I don't trust Pere. I think he is a spy for Farusca. Acutus, I don't know. Let us ask Solomon. Kesara is long overdue but she has been trying to get into Duresca to train as a Quasitor.

"""

A wry smile

We've had our sights on the same ones, I see. Good.
Let Kesara out of this, IMO. This is her home, but she's not invested in our covenant, as is her right. If she wants to go out there, we should let her spread her wings, not try to anchor her to Andorra.
I'm thinking like deputizing Antoine. Roberto could take Vibria's place, since I see no one who'd do it, or as well. Fleur... I dunno. She did pretty well with Spooky, but at the same time, I have yet to see her show much dedication to anything save herself. Unless I missed something?
I trust you on Pere. Maybe we could feed him some false information. An ennemy spy you're aware of can be quite precious... I'm thinking... Fleur seems to be a peoples person. Maybe she could take that. External relationships/security.
Acutus is doing fine in Mallorca. Let him there, see what he does. In a few years, he may be in charge of the place, or not.

Pale and sunburned, his hair disheveled, emanicated body wrapped in sorry brownish rags, a lonely figure crept up the final ascent to Andorra.
Andreu, who had been on guard for several hours and was looking forward to the approaching end of his shift, blinked lazily into the evening air and followed the beggar’s progress.
As the man approached, he could hear him muttering to himself “Yes, master, yes. They will be nice to us, nicer than those nasty Flambeau at Castra Solis. And we will find it, yes, we will.”
Then their eyes met, and whatever doubts Andreu may still have harbored about the newcomers identity, they were stripped away in an instant, because the newcomer’s gaze was of a malicious intensity that is only found with two kinds of people – the magical and the mad.
The beggar straightened his back, and just as the unkempt smell washed over him, Andreu saw to his surprise that the man’s muscles were thin but hard light strong ropes.

“I am Tertio Flambonis, filius Montazin. I beg shelter for the night according to the ancient law of hospitality for myself and my master, and the ear of a senior magus, gatewarden.”

Andreu heads off to find a magus, leaving Jorge to chat with the vagabond. Jorge is quite conversational and they chat about (...?).
Andreu finds Kesara first, but she knows where Vocis is and she grabs him. The go back over and address the stranger.
Vocis of Tremere shouts down.
[color=blue]Salve Sodale! Who might you be and what is it you seek?

Tertio looks at the guard and realizes that it would be nice to do some small-talk to ease the effects of the gift. But he's not really sure what to say. When he was an apprentice, his Master always insisted that their conversations where meaningful. 'If you can't destroy useless words - how do you ever hope to master the Art of Destruction' was one of Montazin's favorite sayings.
As the pause lengthened into an uncomfortable silence, Tertio volunteered: "Your armor seems to be of good quality. Do you make it here at the covenant, or do you import it?" Tertio's voice rose uncertainly at the end of his question. Jorge felt like grunting and spitting, but then remembered that the man in front of him was a magus, and they managed to talk about armor in general, and the problems of rust in particular until the others returned.

When the other magus approached, Tertio looked up at him and bowed respectfully:
"I am Tertio Flambonis, filius Montazin, who was apprenticed by Apromor himself. I speak on behalf of my master and myself. We seek within these walls shelter for the night. We also seek a base from which to investigate the fate of Val-Negra and of the Founder himself."

[color=blue]Eh? Have you been eating lotus? There is no way...
hurm...
Hold on...
Vocis heads off to find Carmen, and Jorge continues talking about his armor. Most of what he has is standard issue from his company, but this current client has been making some customized gear. They have a craftsman named Don that is very well skilled.
Tertio is surprised by a voice behind him. He turns to see a comely woman about thirty, black wool dress, long blonde hair, and blue eys that crackle with sparks just a tad bit.
Salve sodale. I am Carmalita Maria Diana Perez of Flambeau, Lady of the Knights of Sseneca and Pontifex Maxima of Andorra Covenant.
How may I help you?

A woman. A daughter of Eve, creator of life and destroyer of innocence. Be on your guard. And yet, she is of your House.
"As I said, myparens and I seek shelter for the night. We have come here to collect fragments of knowledge on Val-Negra and the fate of the Founder." The captial 'F' is clearly audible. "Being a ghost, Master Montazin is probably inconvenienced by your magical defenses."

Your parens is a ghost? That could explain things. Vocis muttered something about lotus. House Tremere are stalwart allies, but they are not as questing for enlightenment as we Flambeau magi.
The History of House Flambeau was of great interest to my father. Come in and share a meal and have some rest. A token for you and your master.
And really I should have Arachne look you over and your spirit, just to be safe.

Vocis is going to find Fredrika and Antoine so that they may observe this.

Leaning on her staff, an old woman comes slowly, accompanied by the guard Carmen send to fetch her.

And she's already given a token, she thinks when she learns this. Let's hope it ain't some demonic spirit or else.
But a heavy sigh is all the guard can hear.

Salve. I am Arachné filia Cletho Ex Miscellanea, Warden of Andorra. You'll perdon me, but as such, and given the troubles we've faced in the past, I shall take some small precautions, just in case. And then, we'll review your credentials
First thing she does, is bring up her second sight. Her eyes flare red, as she tries to perceive Montazin's spirit*.
Gotcha
Without pause, she incants quickly, casting a lvl 05 Demon's Eternal Oblivion at Montazin**, just to see if it flinches***. She won't multicast, to hide her real abilities, though.
Pardon me, both of you, but I had to make sure of this, at least, especially with you having a token. Welcome to Andorra, then.
She looks an instant at Tertio, pensive I'll have to check with Solomon if casting DEO on a mage is OK...
So. You claim to be a magus of our order, and that this is the ghost of Montazin Flambonis, apprentice to Apromor himself? That's quite a tale. Let's hear it over a meal. You look almost as dead as your friend over there****

• 1d10=7 + Per 2 + SS (Invisible Things) 4 = 13.
    ** 1d10=1, 1d10=6 = 12. I don't worry much, since he is unnafected
    *** 1d10=7 Just rolling a perception check, in case she botched and thought Montazin tried to hide his pain
    **** 1d10=4 + Int 2 + OOH Lore (Personnalities) 3+1 = 10. Has she heard of either?

A younger man strides over from another corner of the castle grounds, slightly after Arachné.

Greetings. I am Antoine filius Imre Ex Verditius, and I am pleased to make your acquaintance. Please, pardon our warden. Andorra has seen some troubled times, and we are rightly cautious about whom we invite into our home.

Did someone mention dinner?

Didn't it feel a little unseemly? Going to greet a guest just so one could get a better look at a ghost? Probably, but Frederika couldn't help but be fascinated by the notion.

"Hello, friends! I am Frederika. You and your master must have interesting tales to tell."

The young man listens to something no one can hear than grins as he looks at Arachne. "My master says you can never be to save. He also says that a Tytalus would have dragged you before a Tribunal for it. But Why?" He looks pensive for a moment: "Scrying maybe?" Clearly, he isn't very knowledgeable when it comes to Hermetic law.
When food is mentioned, he seems to forget the issue altogether. His hopeful face lights up. "Dinner would be nice. People are not very generous when it comes to feeding our kind."

Is he a fool? Or trying to deceive us? Unless deprivation is taking its toll?

All the while, she leads Tertio towards the kitchen
We need a spymaster. Someone who's an expert on our order. And someone who's a good judge of character. Someone like the TremereOf course, there's always the risk of magical tampering, so she'll need to be covered by a Parma.

Once inside the kitchen, she order that... Whatever is available in short notice be brought to Tertio. She'll let him eat, while keeping an eye on Montazin, try to get an idea of them and their behavior.