Chapter IV (1234-1240)

"A week ago I was still an apprentice, I am sure that what is offered is far more freedom than I am used to. I am just wanting to establish a relationship and hopefully expedite requests for books to be taken outside of the covenant to my sanctum, once it is established, and to see what I can do to that end."

Of course, of course. Forgive me for prattling on. I'm afraid teaching Mica has me in the habit. As to expediting requests, my door is always open. Just notify Nicasi or come to me directly and we'll work something out as quickly as possible. If I plan to be away for an extended period, I notify everyone in advance to allow for requests.

"Thank you. How close is Mica to her gauntlet?" (from the description I wasn't sure about her age...)

Seven years, unless she decides to challenge me before then. He gives Mica a glance and a smile. Some days I think she's not far from it now. Ah, the impatience of youth... Mica opens her mouth to retort, then clamps it shut and blushes. Vocis chuckles.

And what of yourself? Where did you train? What are your interests? Carlos ran by my sanctum shouting a name a little else. Before Fleur can answer, he continues Though perhaps that should wait. Roberto, does Carmen intend for Fleur to introduce herself to all the masters at once before our vote? If so, I can forgo my friendly interrogation and leave the two of you to explore the library.

Roberto shrugs his shoulders.
She didn't say. Soy sólo un hongo.
But if our new sodale doesn't mind, I am interested to know. To make you feel more at ease, Fleur, I will tell you a bit about myself. I am an orphan of war, grew up as a soldier, and was trained as a Flambeau magus by the man who covertly commanded my company. That is where I met Carlos. I am also obsessive about spell mastery. Mine is a True Lineage, descended from Flambeau through his filius Delendos, the only survivor of his final battle. I was trained as a martial magus in the school of Julius, specializing in magic that enhances combat prowess as well as direct combat magic and logistics. I am one of the Knights of Seneca, a societas flambonis dedicated to the principles of courage, loyalty, patience, and wisdom.
I struggle with patience sometimes :smiley:

So what do you stand for Fleu de Bonisagus? Upon what do you base your code of honor?

Roberto's tone is friendly, and his question is based on sincere curiosity. The emphasis on your is meant to encourage you to be introspective.

"My code? I was born at the Canem de Mere covenant, showed some subtle signs of my Gift at an early age, and was recruited by Guilliame de Bonisagus as his apprentice. A few years later my parents died, old age, and from then on I have pretty much been immersed in magic, well, some occasional flings with some attractive boys or girls, but otherwise magic. I heard a lot of stories about the caves for which the covenant was named, but they were plundered of anything useful centuries ago. I heard there were some new mystical caves being explored in Andorra, and I was hoping to get a chance to look into them."

I am new here, so I am not sure what you mean. But I know these mountains have numerous mystical niches and areas and caves and more. You'll run into troglodyte ruins, kobolds, dark faeries, ogres, dragons, and more. According to legend, the ruins of lost Val-Negra are somewhere nearby.

Vocis, on the other hand, does know what she means. The Caverns of Entropy, home to various magical creatures and strange powerful faeries. That is where the ogres and goblins, the ones we defeated not long ago, that is where they make their home. Carmen has told you that there are countells of overlapping regios there and the caverns are a seemingly endless twisted labyrinth.
And Val-Negra isn't lost. Andorran magi from the previous generation have visited it, and it is indeed still inhabited. But it is best that they are left alone.

Oh yeah^^ :slight_smile:
Love them too :smiley:

She may be referring to the Caverns of Entropy. They're a large complex of caves and regiones full of goblins, ogres, and other aggressive faeries. We encountered a small horde of the inhabitants a few years ago near Les Salines. If you do intend to explore them, I recommend taking several grogs and a few magi. The individuals we encountered weren't particularly powerful, but they can be overwhelming in large numbers.

"Have you found any drawings or figurines? The figures will contain creo vis, a pawn apiece, but I believe there is a mystery in such caves that the figures would be better used as a source of research than vis."

(Vocis will have no idea, the only current covenant member that has been there is Carmen).

I'm afraid I don't know. Everything I've told you I learned from Carmen. She may be able to provide more details.

"Hopefully at some point I'll get a chance to look for myself."

I think we've finished this conversation. Vocis will depart and we can jump to either Fleur's official introduction or to whoever else might seek her out before then.

This is just something I've been meaning to write up for a while. Please carry on with Fleur's introductions. :slight_smile:

Scene: the sanctum of Vocis of Tremere, early 1234

Vocis put down the lab text and rubbed his eyes. It certainly wasn’t the most complex he’d read, but Animal wasn’t one of his strengths either. Past time to rectify that, though. Mica’s going to need it down the road. He heard the door to his sanctum open and close, his thoughts apparently summoning his apprentice. Glad for the distraction, he left the lab and joined her.

Hello Master. The Corpus lab texts have been organized per your instruction. Amada is making good progress on the Finesse summa, but says she’s running low on the better ink and asks that we acquire some within a week. No other library-related business to report.

Vocis held back a sigh. This formality she insisted on probably wasn’t a bad thing, but it did wear on him. Thank you, Mica. I’ll write up an order for you shortly. I was thinking of taking a short break. Would you join me? Knowing she’d view his request as an order, he grabbed two glasses and a bottle from the sideboard and took a seat. As he sat back to drink, he noticed Mica looked a bit odd. Or nervous, actually. This was new. Something troubling you, my dear?

What? No Master, no trouble. I just need to discuss an important matter with you and I’m not certain now is the best time. I don’t want to interrupt your studies.

Well, as you can see, I’ve done a fine job of interrupting myself already. I have some time. What’s on your mind?

Looking back on the moment later, he was almost certain she deliberately waited for him to take a drink before saying, I’ve decided it’s time for my first affair.

After some mild choking and serious throat-clearing, he managed to say, An affair?

Yes, Master. Seeing no response immediately forthcoming, she clarified, With a man. With her master still unresponsive, she further clarified, Of an amorous nature.

Vocis was temporarily lost in feelings of shock and self-recrimination. Get it together, you fool. She’s nearly 19. Verrine was a mother twice over at that age. But…she’s…Mica. Wouldn’t this kind of thing be…improper somehow?

Taking his silence for disapproval, Mica began making her case. Master, I am 18 years old. It’s my understanding that in mundane society that makes me a grown woman of marriageable age. I have no intention of marrying at the moment, but the servants speak quite highly of the physical aspects of such a relationship. I am confident I can explore them without interfering with my studies or my duties in the library. I will speak with Maria and take all necessary precautions against pregnancy.

Master, please understand this is not a whim. I have consulted with Amada and others. I know what is involved and what steps to take. Becoming a bit miffed at her master’s continued silence, she dared to add, You must understand, having married Aunt Amelia during your apprenticeship. If you could make that work, surely the odd tryst won’t interfere with my training. Realizing she may have gone too far, Mica clamped her mouth shut and waited.

Vocis’s thoughts had finally caught up with events. By the time Mica wound down he was trying very hard not to smile. This may be exactly what she needs. Something to see there’s more to life than being a good soldier. Yes...and now my dear, it’s my turn…

So, does Gerard know yet?

Mica’s eyes widened and she stammered, How…how could you possibly know? I've only told Amada and that was just this morning!

Laying his hand over hers, Vocis replied, Mica, I’ve married off two daughters. I know the signs. You’ve had your eye on him since you moved to Clair de Lune, though you may not have realized it at the time. I’m reasonably certain he’s known for a long while. The prospect likely terrifies him, but…

Terrifies him! Why on Earth would it terrify him! He knows about the Gift! He should understand…

Vocis held up his hands and shushed her. It terrifies him because he sees you as a sister and he’s intimidated by your pending status as a maga. Remember, he’s been trained very well to obey and protect magi even at the cost of his own life. These are obstacles you need to be aware of before you proceed.

Now, I personally have no objection. You’re quite right that you’re old enough to make these kinds of decisions and I don’t doubt for a minute that you’ll be more responsible than any other woman your age. Just remember that the decision is not entirely yours to make, no matter what Amada may have to say on that matter. I have every confidence that you’ll find a way to make this experiment work.

Mica took a moment to consider everything her master had to say, eventually asking A sister? He sees me as a sister? Though I suppose that does make some sense. Awkward, though. Perhaps someone else would be a better choice. One of the new mercenaries, perhaps...

Best head this off now… Ah…speaking from experience, it’s best to start with someone you know. Discuss it with Amada. I’m sure she can come up with some way for you to get through to him. She certainly has Liberto trained well enough.

With a deep breath, Mica made her decision. Very well. Thank you for the advice and for trusting me with this. If you have no need of me, I will return to the library and speak with Amada.

Let me write up this ink order for you to deliver, then by all means take it up with her. Just…understand that I don’t need to hear all the details. As long as there’s no trouble, this is outside my purview as parens.

Mica managed to fight back a smile and respond, As you say, Master. She'd never seen her master blush before...

LMAO :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Just hope she doesn't start discussing her plans with Fleur. That could be... educational.
On the other hand, Fleur's spell does make a very practical form of birth control...

:laughing:

Well anyway, Roberto shows Fleur around and leaves her to explore on her own. The Introduction and Vote is tonight, so unless someone wants to add something, let us move along to then
This requires the full council. Even Journeymen.
Carmen bangs the gavel :slight_smile:
Magi of Andorra,allow me to present Fleur de Bonisagus. Fleur, step forward to present yourself, and be prepared to respond to our interrogatories.

Fleur steps forward, dressed in a simple red dress with no embroidery which leaves her shoulders and arms bare. "I am Maga Fleur, I am prepared for your interrogatories."

Solomon stands up slowly, leaning heavily on his staff for support. His plain brown robes and quiet demeanor belie his status as Master and Inquisitor of the covenant. "What unique gifts do you bring to our covenant? How do you intend to improve our covenant? And what are your goals here?"