Chapter IV (1234-1240)

"Unique, not a thing, but rare or special, I am well trained in the principles of magic as well as writing and teaching. I have the gentle gift, and do well with new covenfolk and many mundanes. I hope, in time to add to your library with my own works, and have hopes of researching the system of caves have heard of nearby. It is hard to say what secrets they might reveal, but whatever I learn I will, of course, share."

Are you now or have you ever been a member of House Diedne? Are you a Diedne sympathizer?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Fleur pauses. "What? I mean no, I'm not even sure how someone would be a member anymore, or what their position really was to sympathize with it. I mean, they must have had some good points, they managed to keep and even grow their membership until the march, but isn't that like asking if I'm a collaborator with the Carthaginians?"

Many thanks, Marko. :mrgreen:

Vocis looks appalled. I assure you the Diedne are a very real threat to the Order and Europe as a whole. Worse, their eventual eradication may be impossible to prove. In such a situation, constant vigilance is the Order's only safe option. That is not to say we expect you spend your days actively hunting them or layering your bedroom in wards, but you must be aware of the threat, respect the danger associated with it, and be prepared to aid your sodales in combating it if and when the need arises. His demeanor has completely changed from the affable guy in the library. He's actually a little intimidating.

:mrgreen:
One of the other Masters may make a Perception + Awareness roll, successful at 9+. The Diedne question didn't come from any of the Masters. The voice came from the low burning fireplace just behind you. If you fail the roll, you just follow along with the dialogue unaware. Vocis bit into it, and Carmen follows right along.
Your ignorance is born of innocence, which is the hallmark of youth. But perhaps one day I shall take you to the Hall of Heros in Castra Sola, where hangs a tapestry depicting the Fall of Llewellyn and another that names every casualty of that war. Or perhaps Doisettep, where there is a mural depicting in three parts the Corruption of Diedne, the Battle of Gascony, and the Oath of Iarna. And at Lost Val-Negra there is a golden statue of Iarna, that Flambeau Heroine who swore she would return one day to defend the Order should the Diedne ever come back.
Ever come back.
To me, that means that they are still indeed alive. Just beyond our reach. And might possibly come back from wherever they are hidden.

Fédora is one of the first to arrive, dressed in full Redcap regalia...which, for her, is her red ushanka, a light-colored tunic and riding pants, light beaver-fur cloak, fur boots, and the silver necklace with the topaz pendant. She sits next to her husband, Vulcanus, who looks a little annoyed (mainly because this meeting is eating into his valuable lab time). Fédora leans over and whispers something in his ear, and Vulcanus looks rather less annoyed.

Vibria arrives...well, not late, but toward the end of where everyone is getting settled in, as she wanted to get cleaned up before the meeting. Her chestnut hair, tied back in a pony-tail, is still damp. She is dressed in a brightly-colored blouse and long skirt, but the first thing that many people notice is her ginormous rack. Her face is rather attractive, as well...lightly tanned, sparkling green eyes, full lips, and an elfin chin.

[color=red]"I hope I'm not too late," she says as she looks around. She quickly finds a vacant chair and takes a seat.

Vibria: Per 0 + Awareness 3 + (die roll of 1, followed by a die roll of 4) 8 = 11.

Fédora: Per 1 + Awareness 4 + (die roll of 1, followed by a die roll of 6) 12 = 17.

Both Fédora and Vibria look at the fireplace. Fédora in surprise, Vibria with surprise quickly followed by what those know her recognize as The Look

It is the Masters who sit closest to the fireplace, that is why they got to make a roll. Across the length of the meeting table, Roberto catches their gazing at the fireplace, and grins with awkward embarrassment. The voice was his familiar, sitting in the fireplace made invisible by the flames engulfing him.

Fightmaster: Great read with Vocis and Mica :smiley:

An old woman, dressed in red robes patterned after a web, a wooden staf inlaid with a ruby at her side looks at Fleur and smiles slightly

Salve, Fleur. My name is Arachné Ex Miscellanea, but I also like to be called the spider. Goes along with my crotchety looks, doesn't it?

Per 1 + Awareness 3 + 1d10=7 yes! = 11.

Arachné displays no sign, but seizes her wand delicately. Then, seeing the other magi's reaction, she turns towards the fireplace and squints
Be careful, mister cat. I like you, and pranks are fine, but sometimes, magi are a little too quick to react. I wouldn't want anyone regretting their actions

She turns back, her gaze going slightly over the over magi, with a only strange look for Vibria.
Now, where were we? Ah, yes. Fleur. I'll tell you, I'm all for you joining our chapterhouse. We need your strength and skills. Yet, my sodales ask very good questions. Now, in order to cut through the chatter and tiny bits, would you agree to submit to a simple spell? You may know The Penitent's Confession (True Lineages) , it forces someone to answer truthfully to any question asked.
Now, of course, we wouldn’t ask you to reveal any magical secret, with would be a crime under the code, something that my sodales Solomon would never approve. Still, it would let us quickly ascertain that, at least consciously, you aren’t an infiltrator or some kind of would-be parasite.

(If she agrees, we can handwave the interogation, or not)

"I have only been here a short while, and while there are some who might be embarrassed by some answers if asked publicly, as might some at Canem de Mere. I will however trust to your discretion in this forum and allow the spell, provided it will not be in effect when I leave this council."

Roberto walks over to the fireplace and picks his cat up out of the flame (good thing he is warded).
I am satisfied if Arachne and the other Master's say she passes muster. I submitted to it. The spell is humbling, but Mistress Arachne is trustworthy and cautious in her application of it.

That she is.
She has no interest in peering into magical secrets, caring only for the covenant's safety. And even if she had, this would be so stupid as to make her eyes bleed.
As a side note, being a lvl 30 spell, this would have caused warping if not for Marko's HR.

Thank you roberto. I appreciate the vote of confidence.
And do not worry, Fleur. This spell urges you to tell the truth, but the truth also includes saying that you'd like me to stop the spell and think we are going too far.

After Fleur lowers her Parma, Arachné will shortly incant, and look directly into Fleur's eyes, her own eyes briefly glowing a bright red.

(Relaxed casting of a mastered spell + aura, no need for a roll. Unless someone want to roleplay the questionning, which can be fun due to some weird questions like the diedne bit, we can skip the part and assume Fleur passes)

So shall we wave along to a vote then? I do believe I heard from everyone privately and the vote is to accept. If I missed someone, PM me.
Fleur is sent forth from the room so the members can discuss and vote. Private ballot or show of sigils?

Show of sigils would be my preference. That way, if someone votes against, they would have a chance to articulate their objection(s) and sway or be swayed.

I guess that means I should decide what Vibria's voting sigil is.

A hand-sized obsidian dragon's talon, with what look to be wavy lines in the surface when the light hits it just right.

I agree.

Carmen, Roberto, Kesara, and Vulcanus each vote yes.

As do Vibria and Fédora (whose voting sigil is a smallish crimson riding crop).

Vocis also votes yes. I don't think Pere is present.

Maybe this coincides with the Sharkman story? Pere was on the way here, then stuff happened and...

Arachné poses a delicate spider made of black steel, with ruby for eyes
So we agree.