Chapter One: Getting there is half the fun . . .

Valerius looks at the ship with the black sails, then he looks at his soldaes. He thinks to him self; What morons they are, actually looking for a fight. Don’t they know that people get hurt when arrows start to fly? An if they are going to fight this thing why not use some brains when fighting. Sword, armour…? Perhaps my master where right about those Flambeau… Why not use for far reaching magic and be gone with it. Even I could create mist at that ship then turn it to poison and let it hang around for a while so that the men either got panic or at least arrived it no condition to fight. That would be a two first magnitude spells with no risk for injury. Well perhaps I shall let them have their fun but then again my life depend on these… soldaes. I’ll watch and wait, at least for now.

Valerius scratches his chin and look to what the others are doing.

Claudius leans over on the rail next to Akoe.

[color=red]"Not much of a chance that the black-sailed ship is just a harmless fisherman, eh? Well, I can't be sure I can hit anything at this range. I have to be closer, or they have to be closer. Honestly, I'd rather not get us too close to them."

To Akoe directly, and loud enough for others to hear:
[color=red]Is there a small boat on board this ship anywhere? 'cause I'm thinking the best bet is to get a couple of us in it, make it innocuous with some imaginem and/or aquam spell, pull up to the side of that ship, and do what we need to with our potential pirate friends. That way, we don't have angry mundanes hacking with scimitars through all of our carefully-packed lab equipment.

Sinmore turns to Claudius and frowns. The cabin boy has come up and carefully drops the armor and sword he could barely carry at her feet. She pats the cabin boy on the head and scoots him on his way as she reaches down to pick up the cuirass.

"Subtle? That's no fun!" she said as she shrugs off her tunic leaving just a thin chemise as some pirates gasp and turn away while others gasp and ogle, before she starts putting on her armor and then strapping on her sword.

"Let them get a little closer and we can see how well the boat burns!"

Elarion arrives on deck to the commotion and listens to the others’ plans. He nods in agreement with Claudius’ observation that it would be better to bring the fight to the pirates than to have them aboard our ship.

“It would likely be best to avoid confrontation altogether. That being unlikely, let us dispatch of our opponents quickly so that we may return to the more pleasant affair of enjoying our travels.”

To everyone, In Latin,

“[color=indigo]I think friends Claudius and Elarion are right. Best to keep any fight off our ship.

However, there are two other considerations,

First, do our own captain and crew know we are Magi? They probably have figured out we aren’t…typical passengers, but open displays of magic might lead to us having to deal with the angry crews of two ships, not one.

Also, that other ship might have resources we need. We are a young expedition. The more we have, the less we’ll need to acquire. We could save our resources for other things.

Let me make a recommendation:

If there are any of us skilled with Auram and Aquam, let them use them to try to slow that ship.

If there are any who have great skill with Mentem, Imagonem, or Intellego, let them use their talents to try to get an estimate of how many pirates are on that ship.

If all that fails…”
Akoe will turn to Lady Sinmore.

“[color=indigo]Subtlety may not be fun, but it may be wise. Could you catch their sails afire?"

Octavius looks up from his journal when shouting can be heard from abovedecks. Carefully stoppering the ink, he takes the time to pack his delicate writing implements away before heading up to discover what all the comotion is about.

Octavius arrives on deck to find everyone gazing over the water at the black sailed ship. He strides over to join his fellow magi at the railing, tilting his head to the side slightly as he gauges the distance to the other ship. Glancing over at Akoe, he says, "I'd be surprised if the captain and crew have not already guessed our magical nature by our robes and other unusual quirks." To emphasize this, he points to the two goat horns sprouting from his head. Looking back over the water, he continues. "Though I do agree that keeping the fight off this ship would be safer. I'm not big on violence, myself. Perhaps putting the pirates to sleep en masse? That would be safer for us, and won't harm any cargo the pirates might be carrying."

Sinmore finishes buckling on her armor and straps her great sword to her belt, wheras most men would strap it across their back.

"Their sails, their mast, rigging, the decks, the pirates, the bow under the water..." she cracks her knuckles again "...but I'll defer. My Pater told me to avoid trouble since my Gauntlet in the York forest, said they had a hard time hiding all of the damage."

"You point out the target and I'll take care of it. If they try to board though..." she pats the sword at her belt "my Little Sister comes out to play."

As the group of you discuss options, the crew hasten to put on sail. It seems clear, however, that at this rate, the Dorado can only delay the inevitable. As teh black sail looms larger, the crew make hasty preparations to repel boarders . . .

Akoe will turn to Octavius and grin. "Your right. I am being foolish. We do stand out in a crowd."

"Well, if that's the case, I brought aboard a few fine bottles of Italian Red. Pick of my collection to the first one who can slow that compost heap down. The rest of the collection to the one who can take her out without destroying the ship. Any takers?"

Sinmore frowns.

"Slow them down?! Are we Nuns or Magi! Fine, I'll wait. Do what you will to them, let me know when I can be let off my leash and I'll slow it down! Won't be much left though."

She harrumphs and crosses her arms across her broad chest. "...slow them down..!" she mumbles in disgust. She steps away from the rail to allow the more subtle magi a try.

Akoe will toss up his hands.

"I thought you might enjoy a challenge. I hate to see a beautiful woman upset. Lady, please have at them. I'll go get your wine."

"No no! My Pater said I need to learn to reign in the fire." she said as she holds up her hands. "Please, be my guest. Beguile them or confuse them or slow the water or whatever. I can always burn it if that fails."

Octavius' eyes light up at the prize of wine for slowing the other ship. Rubbing his chin in thought, he starts mumbling to himself some possibilities.

"Hmmm... when they get close enough... could start putting them to sleep one by one... hardly efficient... will have to wait longer to try groups... maybe... mmm... perhaps... need some terram... yes..."

Octavius gives an abrupt nod to himself and looks over to the black ship once more, trying to judge how much time he has to prepare before the sailors get into range for a sight spell. Does he have time to run down into the bilge to collect some stone ballast?

Claudius:
[color=red]"If you are worried about alarming the crew unduly, let us tell them that we are skilled in the arts of both war and diplomacy, and send a small boat out under those pretenses. If we work quickly, the sailors will not be able to see precisely what it is that we do.

As for particulars, I am skilled with fogging and altering the minds of men. I will get into the boat, and if someone will point to me who is responsible for the necessary functions, I can stop them.

Turning to Lady Sinmore
[color=red]Which, of course, might be easier if they're distracted by something that has suddenly gone aflame."

"When your plan is ready let me know, I can easily make a distraction. A fire on the deck would cause a panic, but not likely hurt the ship too much. A fire on the sails could cripple it. I'll put a bonfire on the deck. If you want to make it look less magical, have someone fire an arrow at the ship, it might look like a flaming arrow did the damage. But people will likely see and hear me."

Sinmore says, looking bored as she examines her fingernails. With the prospect of being put to use she sounds a lot more reasonable and intelligent now, with a bit of a mind for strategy.

[color=blue]Ok, gang, while you've discussed several options, there's been no clear statement of action. That said, I'll proceed with phase one of you amalgamated ideas.

As the black sail draws nearer, Guillermo explains you plan to the Dorado's captain. Although clearly irritated by the interruption at this critical juncture, he pauses to listen, and then shrugs expressively. Barking an order at a couple of sailors, the group of you is quickly ushered to a small boat, which is unceremoniously lowered over the side. Negotiating the descent with varying degrees of grace (Octavius is somewhat encumbered by the large rocks he apparantly has stuffed down his pants), you manage to board ti without undue catastrophe, and find yourselves drifting towards the approaching galley.

The chanting of the galley's oarmaster can be heard as you move closer and closer, as can the creaking of the oars. Individuals on board can now be clearly distinguished, and you note a cluster of archers grouped at the galley's bow, above the bronze ram you can see cutting trhough the water. It can only be a matter of moments before one of the archers spots you in the water.

[color=blue]
Right, gang, decision time. There's been discussion of Auram / Aquam, sneaking aboard, or ye olde firebomb. What's it to be?

To Lady Sinmore

"Lady. Can you start a distraction? Whatever you feel is best, as far away from there," Akoe will point to the portion of the deck that is nearest to them, "[i]as you can.

Sodales, are any of you skilled enough with Auram to lift a rat from here to the deck? If not, Lady, could you throw a rat up there?[/i]" (FMB: If the answer to both those questions is no, I'll start looking for anything I could scurry up to get on deck)

Akoe will ask Guillermo if he can signal the Captain once things start to swing around and board the pirate ship themselves. Maybe he'll want to take it to the pirates for once.

"[i]Sodales, please take whatever action you wish against the ship and crew. I'll buy the drinks in Sousse. I'll even take charge of finding the wine to drink with.

I'm going to try to make my way to the galley. They probably have slaves doing the rowing. Those slaves, if free, might take issue with their masters.

Does anyone want to come along? If so, I'll try to get a line over the side once I'm up there."[/i]

Akoe will go to his heartbeast form if someone can get him on deck. Otherwise he's looking for lines or other means of entrance.

I will follow Akoe into the galley deck, if at all possible, and throw Confusion of the Numbed Will on the individual giving the galley its stroke orders.

Sinmore stands and shrugs her shoulders. "Time for a distraction." her hands quickly form the gestures for Creo and Ignem. Her voice calls out the latin phrases in her husky voice and she casts her spell, intending to create a bonfire on the deck behind the archers.

[i]Spontaneous Magic.

Base level 5 (create a fire doing +10 damage)
Range V+2 D: M +0 T: Ind +0

Level 15

Casting total (before rolling Cr 10, Ig 18, Sta 4) 32 (don't know if there is an Aura, probably not) and she will spend a fatigue level. If she rolls 40 or more she'll increase the damage caused by the spell. She's just dropping it on the deck, she doesn't care if it hits anyone.[/i]

Octavius studies the pirate ship as it looms before them, frowning as he spies the archers lined up at the bow. He responds to Akoe as he studies the pirates aboard, trying to identify the captain of the ship, or at least one that seems to be of higher ranking.

"No, unfortunately I do not have the ability to get you to the ship. The best I can do is slowly float a person up vertically, but I cannot do horizontally."

As Lady Sinmore starts to cast her spell, Octavius decides it is time to try and help out as best he can. Picking out a pirate he feels to be giving some of the orders (or if he sees none, then he will start on the archers), he stands up beside Sinmore to cast his own spell. Octavius starts chanting in latin, the candence and phrasing sounding not wrong, but just odd to the other magi in the boat. His use of gestures seems a little off too, but that does not stop others from recognizing Rego and Mentem being cast as he finishes off by taking a swig from the flask at his side, hurling the spell at the targeted pirate.

Call to Slumber ReMe 10 (formulaic casting total: Re 6, Me 2, Sta 1 = 9)