Chapter One: St. Juist de Narbonne

Hiems

• "I thank you for your help and hospitality. I will be happy to meet these Clergue. If they are so important there, both your introduction and your advices will surely help us in our future dealings with them"

Hiems wonders. This shall probably be our future source of grogs and servants, which could prove problematic if their loyalties lie elsewhere. He does intend to be fair and work in harmony with them, but what if someone else buys their loyalties? As with everything else, we'll have to wait and see.

Oh, and for the record, Hiems had no guards nor weapons. This would have been difficult to come by, attracted attention, and... Well, it didn't even occurend to him. Part independance, part thinking himself to be perfectly able to deal with most menaces, or at least to flee them.

At some point during another lull during lunch, Viscaria suddenly remembers something. "Sodales, I don't suppose any of you are well versed in the Mentem arts? Due to my....proportions, I felt it wise to procure a guardian for the trip quickly. I convinced a certain minstrel that he could use a change of scenery and prod him to join me on the road in exchange for fair recompense, but I think that my arguments will not seem so convincing, come the turn of the moon. He proved a gay and easy fellow on the road, and I'd hate to lose his friendship. Do you think he will be terribly upset with me?"

OOC: Neither Viscaria nor her player actually know the answer to this question, generally, and in particular. Also, when does the current Duration Moon end? What year is this? 1221?

Viscaria to Jonah, as the meal wraps up. "Our thanks once more for a delightful meal. Though I cannot speak for the others, and we are not yet officially even able to make such requests, there are two details which I believe will be more ably handled by your House than by these Clansmen. First, while I again cannot speak for the others, I will need much more frequent visits from a Redcap to collect my correspondence. At least once a season, which I think would also be wise, given the peril inherent in our task. Second, by the dictates of the Tribunal, we need to duplicate the entire contents of a winter covenant's library in a very short decade. The requirements in materials and properly educated scribes will be enormous. Can you begin looking for potential suppliers immediately? Of course, as I have signed no charter, I can only ask that you seek offers to be considered." She glances at the other magi for approval.

OOC: The only one we're missing is Serrano, I believe, who seems to be having net-access issues. Can we spin on to the next track and let himself retrofit himself into the storyline so far?

“I do have some affinity with that particular Technique, Viscaria.” (I think this would be either a Magic Theory and/or an Int check plus whatever the bonus for her Mentem score of 10 would be, and I hope I'm using this Invisible Castle thing correctly) 1d10=5

Cygna rolls her eyes, but says nothing...although the look on her face would indicate that she would certainly like to.

As a side note, although no one probably realises it (it would mean changing places), Hiems has been there long enough that the place near him is colder than it is farther. Nothing uncomfortable, like a few degrees colder but still.

To Viscaria:

• "Mentem is not my strong point. Still I would imagine it'll depend on what your relationship was, if he realises you used magic on him, as well as his natural temper. If he's a good natured fellow you just inclined to be more amiable though subtle magics and you were nice to him, it'll probably be fine. If he's a child eater you blatantly changed into a cuddlebear while insulting him at every turn, don't expect things to go well"

Serrano looked up from his work , "Name of a little blue devil!" he exclaimed.
"The Bells for None are ringing."
Hastily packing his craft gear , he headed to his missed appointment.

At the Church , he looked around for someone who might speak Latin ,
as his poor Norman French was incomprehensible to most.

Being a Fair Day , there were bound to be many peddlars and 'entrepeneurs' who made a living
selling boot-leg relics to pilgrims , students and the generally gullible.

Knowing that he was no match in either wits or guile with these folk ,
he waited until he heard someone speaking latin.

OoC:
Looking for an older or elderly woman for preference.
Someone who would take note of a man in a red cap talking to a group of suspicious strangers.
Just straight out ask if they have been seen and offer some silver as payment.

Serrano looks around hoping for an elderly woman that speaks Latin. Instead he notices a man wearing the habit of that new order - a dog of the Lord - who is watching a nearby Patrician house.
People take care to ignore the young man - devout Catholics and inquisitors are less than popular around here at the moment.

ooc: a Dominican - he surely speaks some Latin.

OoC :
Serrano knows enough to always be polite to men/women of the Cloth.
He doesnt know enough to be wary of Inquisitors.
Latin roll of 14
He will walk directly to the Brother in a respectful manner.
Knowing it is a sin to lie to such persons , truth will be spoken.

"The Peace of the Lord be with you Brother"
"Forgive my disturbing you with wordly concerns."
pause for response from the Dominican
"I am late for an appointment with a man named Jonah."
"He would have been wearing a red cap and maybe talking with a group of suspicious strangers"

The Dominican absently replies: "Peace be with you."

Your words make him turn towards you and eye you suspiciously. After a moment he relaxes somewhat and says: "You seem honest enough. You are talking of Jonah the Merchant who lives in this painted house over there. He is a Godless man and there are Godless people with him. Take care not to endanger your soul in there."

He makes the sign of the cross over you. Your magic withdraws into your body like testicles in cold water.

ooc: he's got the gentle gift - otherwise this would be quite ironic

"Thank-you Brother."
"May the Infinite Mercy of our Heavenly Father
Through the Sacrifice of His only-begotten Son , Jesus Christ
And through the Intercession of the Holy Spirit
Be with us always.
Amen."

Approaching the painted house , Serrano knocks briskly and awaits an answer.

OoC: Serrano who is Happy +03, is acting like a schoolboy
who has successfully memorized his cathecism.

A servant opens the door and looks at him.
"What is it you like?"

He sees a priest being led across the floor into a hall behind the servant.

"Am seeking a fat man in a red-cap named Jonah , for relations of intimacy."

The servant looking bewildered repeats: "Relations of intimacy?"
Then his face clears, he asks you kindly to wait for a moment, before you are shown into the room where the others are.

Father Pierre Clergue has entered the room right before Serrano and is introducing himself to the magi as "the village priest", smiling a yellow-toothed smile.

Not hearing Serrano enter behind him, he says that it takes two days to travel on foot to Agraves sur Mas. When he says it it sounds like one word: "R-graph-sir-mar" (ooc: pronounced - more or less- as a British person would). He plans to leave tomorrow morning, and to ride a cart for the first day. He suggests hiring another one for the characters. His Latin is understandable, but rather clumsy.

Jonah invites you to stay in his house for the night.

"My thanks large maestro for kindness inhospitable to this late traveller."
"Would it be possible to meet those others of whom defiling virgin goats might be claimed?"

Cygna turns and gapes at the new-comer. "What?!?"

"Saliva Sod-Ales!"
bowing
"You , fair maid , must be of that House with whom all manner of beast husbandry is known."

Cygna sits straighter in her chair as her eyes narrow. "I beg your pardon?" she says softly.

"Merely a saying told me by a Tytalus apprentice"

"I trust you don't ordinarily repeat Tytalan proverbs to the members of the house they're describing?"

"Why no. He especially told me i should say these things loudly to a group of strangers to help identify their House."

Viscaria, her amusement piqued, asks in Latin, "Tell me, newcomer, do you speak any other languages?"

(in Occitan) "Lang d'Oc, perhaps?"