Chapter One: St. Juist de Narbonne

in Langue d'oïl (Norman) (Score 3 , penalty -02) Roll = 6

"The hat of my uncle is lost" "The pen of my aunt is on the table" "the table is guilty of conspiracy" "the papyrus scroll lurks in the grass"

Viscaria, in Latin:

"Ah, just so. May I ask what is the language of your youth, Messier...Ex Miscellany? My name is Viscaria Lynchis Verditii, soon, perhaps, to be of Phoenix Covenant."

The short woman, still disguised as a child, bows perfunctorily.

"As the Good Lord would have it , Magistrix Viscaria , i was not blessed with such."
"That would be Serrano , as most often my pater called me."

And thus was invented the facepalm.

Luckily, Viscaria takes upon herself the task of continuing the discussion with the new-comer while Cygna tries to control herself.

Helena hasn't stopped staring at the new corner and mumbles quietly to herself (in Occitian)

"Oh well, I suppose every family needs one"

and then louder (in latin)

"Perhaps we should all introduce ourselves"

She goes around the table again giving name and house as well as giving brief explanation of what has already been said.

turning to Jonah
"Large Maestro , of whom too much hospitality may be claimed ,
are there any services we might perform for you
of a nature unseemly to mention in mixed company."

Viscaria, aside to Father Pierre, in Latin (unless he speaks Occitan):

"We will, it seems, be needing to find a tutor in Latin."

To the group: "It seems we have the rest of the day to ourselves. How shall we best spend it? I am most interested in enjoying the fair day, as it has been a score of years since I stepped foot in one. In the evening, I shall have to track down my minstrel and either complete or extend our bargain. But first, shopping! I will need new clothes at the very least, and mayhap will find a soul or two that Father Pierre might collect for my workshops another day. Good Father, will you join me for an afternoon stroll? Would anyone else like to join us?"

Edit: OOC: Not to belabor the obvious, but Viscaria, even when not disguised as a child, looks about 21.

"I believe I would join you if I may, Viscaria. It has been..." Cygna pauses, "more years than I can recall that I was able to enjoy a fair, and there are one or two items I would like to purchase, if they're to be had here."

The main thing she is wanting to buy is some parchment, ink, and quill, and maybe a scribe's case if they have any, as well as trying any interesting foods they may have there.

Hiems has witnessed the newcomer's words silently, wondering if Serrano was mad, or instead feigning dumbness to make fool of his sodales. He failed to come to any conclusion.

To viscaria

• "Good idea, fair lady. I doubt Phoenix has supplies left. We will surely need food, wine and grain. Other mundane things might be useful too.

"Too true, although I believe provisions are Father Pierre's responsibility."

"Perhaps," Cygna says, "but how cognizant is he of the arcane supplies we would need to start to rebuild the labs, say, or whatever other implements we find our new home to be lacking. Especially if we are to build however many labs we shall need...at least six, by my count." She then turns to Serrano. "That means 'aware'," she says, totally straight-faced.

"It may behoove us to at least be aware of how much difficulty, if any, we will have in finding supplies in a city the size of Narbonne," she continues to the others.

"You make an assumption that I do not make, my friend. I am not yet convinced that the magi of Phoenix have fallen into Twilight, and therefore do not presume that we can yet order supplies that I cannot afford out of my own pocket. Indeed, I am not even sure yet how the covenant provides for itself. As far as supplies go, I can provide much of the glassware, furniture and mayhap even the metalware needed. But come, let us explore the city and see what it has to offer, rather than speculate further."