Chapter Three OOC: Not in Kansas anymore

I wasn't thinking about magical clothing as such , not for a while anyway.
What i had thought , is that i would be able to trade magically-crafted clothing for other goods and services.

Well, that should be doable:

• If we find grogs and companions, it means a human settlement somewhere. You can trade with them
  • OOC, if there are humans somewhere, even just us, there'll be faeries. Surely, you'll be able to trade with them, perhaps for vis or magical goodies :smiley:

Cygna thinks this is an absolutely wicked idea! [color=red]”Would it be at all possible,” she would ask, [color=red]”to design my 'hut' so that it would be accessible from above in two of the rooms? I would imagine that I would not always be walking home.”

I say thee, aye.

So, this would be, for example, a MuTe if we each had a piece of rock, Cygna would cast a MuTe on her rock, the rock that Viscaria has would change in the same manner, and we would have a handful of predetermined configurations that would mean something in particular? (e.g. Cygna would change her rock into a ring, which would be the code for “Oh, fudge, we're dead!”)

If we eat Tortoise of Virtue Soup, isn't that just as good as a Longevity Ritual? :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, so is there anybody who is still arguing for less than "up to the rest of the season" ?

Exactly. And we each pick an Form that we are comfortable with.

This lead me back to an earlier comment JM made about Cuniculus's ideas about magic mail. Can you enchant a single "device" that is made of multiple pieces? Could I create a stone tablet, for instance, which you could write on from another country? Or some other form of reverse-scrying? Imagining a grove of awakened trees, for example, I could put a reverse-scrying pool in it, where people could send an image of themselves to give updates on their situations. The trees would watch the pool, and then could relay messages to whoever comes to check on them.

Actually, I was just wondering about how longevity Rituals fit into our poll-dicussion, along with books, vis sources, and lab supplies.

Moved discussion of the covenant's building to a separate thread.

For some reason, I seem to recall a spell that does pretty much that. Two Arcane Connected-type sheets of paper, vellum, whatever. And whatever one writes on one would also appear on the other. I can't remember off-hand if that was a canonical 4th or 5th ed. spell, if it was one that someone in my former gaming group came up with, or if it was even something from another game system.

Okay, did I miss something, or have neither Serrano nor Berenguer returned to Janus Cave by the next morning?

If not, Cygna will do an aerial search for them (and probably give them a piece of her mind in the process).

Can we call the first one we find Veneris?

Just because i havent posted that Serrano returned , doesnt mean that i also stopped breathing because i forgot to post about it. :stuck_out_tongue:
What do you mean , She!. :astonished:
There is only one drag-queen in this party. :stuck_out_tongue:

whoops...typo. And it's okay, I'm what my old gm calls "cross-dressing" here too (male player playing a female character...although I never was too fond of the term, tbh). Let me go back and fix that.

And that means Serrano's back, right?

I just looked up the rules on Circles, and they only affect whatever is inside the circle at the time of casting. Not nearly as useful as I was thinking. :frowning:

Well, bother. Actually, looks like this is one of those GM Interpretation things. I'm reading the rules, and I can see the phrase in the Target: Circle description: "at the time of casting" applying to either "everything within a ring" or "a ring drawn by the magus." Same with the Duration: Ring. That could be an either/or situation: the spell lasts until the target within the ring leaves the ring, or the spell lasts until the ring is broken. If there's nothing within the ring at the time of casting, then it stands to reason that it lasts until the ring is broken. There are only about five Ring/Circle spells in the core book that I could find. The four Ward Against Faeries of x specifically say that the faeries can't affect anyone targeted by the spell, and can't use ranged attacks or magic to affect those within it. On the other hand, the Ring of Warding Against Spirits merely says that spirits with Magic Might can't enter the circle, and makes no reference to anyone or anything within the circle at the time of casting. So, it looks to me like it can go both/either way, depending upon the desired effect.

Yet, as far as I understand it, Amul is right in that we can't use a circle as a trap for fish or animals, unless they are present inside it when the spell is cast :frowning:

How was someone to do a fish-trapping circle?
I could see placing a stone circle on either sea or riverbed and having Cygna swim round it , to cast.
Or a floating wooden circle.

Use Taste of the Herbs & Spices on bait , to make it majorly enticing to fish.
Might need an InAn spell first to find out what that is , before casting.

Great idea!!!

Sorry Folks , but i find i just can't continue. :frowning:

??? What's happening?

What's wrong?

There isn't anything wrong ,
just find that my perception of things as a huge spellcasting chore
outweighs any interest or fun i was having.

I still had ideas of what i would like to do with the character ,
but every time i went to post , it was "oh great , how many sponts do i have to do first".
Magic (obviously) is one of the reasons i like Ars Magica , but having to do so many on a daily basis
for every single thing is sucking the fun out of it.

Two characters took Skilled Parens , dont know if it advantaged them significantly.
All characters , except Ex Misc could take it freely had they so chosen.

I did not feel like all the hoop-jumping i would have to do after the hassle with taking Affinity (Magic Theory).
Those 60 extra xp & 30 spell levels would have given the extra slight edge i felt the situation needs.

In a far more standard "explore a ruined covenant" situation it would not have seemed so crucial to me.

I don't dislike the current story or situation , but there is not much enjoyment for me.

There are no particular worries about my dad , i can't do anything about his situation.
He is being looked after in the nursing home.
My heart condition is managed by medication , just some days are a bit more tiring than others ,
especially with the hot weather here.

I can totally relate about the not having fun part (not with this game, tho)...I can remember at least one campaign that I should have walked away from much earlier than I did, for the same reason, and I'm still...I don't think "traumatized" is the right word, but it still haunts me.

And after all, that's the whole reason for this little endeavor is to have a little fun.

Hopefully our gaming paths will cross again, and in the meantime keep in touch, eh?

Ravenscoft is right.
Let's leave it. The story idea just doesn't work out.
Thank you for participating.
We can either ask the forum administrators to retire the game or if one of you wants to take it over - do so.
How about this: One of you creates a new game - and we can play in that (old characters or new characters). As long as I don't have to sg it.