Chapter V (1238 to 1245)

[color=red]"Strange is relative," Vibria says after she takes another sip of water. [color=red]"I'm sure people find my bedchambers 'strange'"

"'Inhospitable, more like," Jaksic says. "Unless you like sleeping in a furnace."

[color=red]"I just like to be comfortable, love. And it's not like...ahem. Anyway...I'm sure it must be quite remarkable having a faerie queen for a godmother. You'll have to tell me stories about what it's like, if you don't mind.

"And if what Roberto says is correct, about you being able to heal wounds without vis...that would be very helpful indeed!"

"She's quite the expert at that," Lucas adds. "Cecilio was a great help in that area while we were in the City of Brass."

"With any luck its a skill I'll be able to spread. Practice can improve upon it for me and hopefully others using the same techniques will be able to get some benefit. Part of the reason why I wanted to be able to practice at the Hospital. If it works your library will be the first to get the books."
"If you let us stay and provide materials. Otherwise we'll probably be forced to beg materials off the Great Library and then even if it works the writings will fade into disorganization."
"Until some young magus finds them a few centuries later."
Cecilio turns to Vibria People always say my lab is to hot. And having a Faerie Godmother is wonderful. Its not always been good for my studies, but its certainly gotten me a lot of opportunities, I never would have had otherwise. Like going to the City of Brass for example!

[color=red]"From what I've heard so far, I don't see any reason to oppose your petition."

Vibria takes another sip and addresses Lucas. [color=red]"When are you planning to call a meeting to discuss this?"

"The wheels are already in motion," Lucas replies. "She's met Carmen, and I think the Pontifex will be calling the meeting soon."

Not long after her return from Paris (among other places) in the Spring of 1242, Vibria invites Fleur to a dinner with her and Jaksic at Vibria's tower, when their schedules permit. At the appointed hour, Jaksic and Vibria are dressed in their best clothes Jaksic is wearing something that looks like what a noble of the Holy Roman Empire would wear, while Vibria is wearing an emerald green gown with a grass pattern embroidered into the skirt (basically from the waist down), and a silver brooch that looks like a myrtle flower; Artur and Maria are with the babysitter.

She and Jaksic engage Fleur in conversation over dinner, talking about pretty much anything and everything.

As they enjoy an after-dinner wine, Vibria gets around to bringing up the other reason for the dinner. [color=red]"Let me cut straight to the chase. Jaksic and I have two incredibly beautiful children. But we're not getting any younger, and we feel that two is all we can handle, with my studies and his duties to Andorra. So, we've decided that it's time for us to have our Longevity Rituals.

"Now, I could probably invent one myself; but in all honesty, it wouldn't be as effective as I would like. I suspect that yours would be much better. And I would be more than willing to assist in both of ours."

((Just out of curiosity, would Vibria's draconic heritage mean there's a chance that Ignem could come into play on her LR?))

Fleur nods thoughtfully. "I would certainly be willing to help with that, there is something I am curious about that you might be able to help me with. In my research into fertility magic I keep coming up dragons. You have the cat which resulted from my first encounter, much of my understanding has come from a cult that worshiped dragons, and Thor's story about children being generated by magic involved one being a dragon, and involved an onion... anyways I know you have a connection to the draconic community, if you would ask around and find out what you can about whether this is simple coincidence or if there is a stronger connection I should be looking into..."

Vibria beams. [color=red]"Thank you!" After a second's hesitation, she sweeps Fleur up in a big hug. [color=red]"When do you want to start? And who do you want to do first, me or Jaksic?"

[color=red]"I'll speak with Grandfather next time I see him to see if he has any ideas, and write to some I know in the Rhine and Transylvania."

She then does a double-take. [color=red]"Wait...what? A dragon and an onion?"

"It was a fairy tale the Thor told me, where a woman was instructed to put two onions under her pillow at night, then peel and eat them in the morning in order to conceive. In her haste she forgot to peel one onion and she had two boys, one of which turned out to be a dragon. I have the notes on the story, though by itself I doubt it is one of my more promising leads." She pauses to refocus he thoughts "I am making a longevity potion for Isolde this summer, I could fit the two of you in for the autumn and following winter." she licks her lips a moment as she thinks "It doesn't really matter which I do first I don't think, but I suppose I will do your first,"

[color=red]"That is an...interesting story, and one that I'm not familiar with. I'll see if I can find more references to that somewhere." (Int 1 + Magic Lore(?) 5 + die roll of 7 = 13. I'm thinking it's a pretty obscure story, even if Magic Lore is the right ability.)

[color=red]"I would be more than happy to help you in the lab, on both of our rituals, if you'd like." (She would add 5 to Fleur's Lab Total: Int 1 + Magic Theory 4.)

"I would certainly be fine with that, it is your longevity potions after all."

It was Frey who told the story. The tale itself was drawn from an authentic Scandinavian Folk Tale. Vibria may have heard it or something similar. Feel free to google "King Linnorm" for the original tale and the rest of that story.
Onions come up often in Nordic tales for some reason. The allegory in that one, or the portion of it I used, was the whole layers under layers until you find the truth at the heart. The linorm, after layers were peeled back, turned out to be a prince.
I also note there is a slight connection in some dragon tales with growth and fertility.

It was Frey who told the story. The tale itself was drawn from an authentic Scandinavian Folk Tale. Vibria may have heard it or something similar. Feel free to google "King Linnorm" for the original tale and the rest of that story.
Onions come up often in Nordic tales for some reason. The allegory in that one, or the portion of it I used, was the whole layers under layers until you find the truth at the heart. The linorm, after layers were peeled back, turned out to be a prince.
I also note there is a slight connection in some dragon tales with growth and fertility.

Bogus keyords. I tested "king linnorm" and a bunch of Pathfinder stuff turned up. It turns out that "The Lindworm Prince" is a famous 19th century Nordic fairy tale, with modern renditions and parody versions and a comic strip. That tale involves two roses, and is also known as Bride of the Rose Beast. However, it turns out that tis tale is based on a much older story called King Lindworm. This is the version I read and was using. That one involves the onions. I found this original online under "Pink Fairy Book: King Lindworm".
Whatever ideas or inferences I may have and/or you have, the original germ of inspiration is simple. The story involved some sort of fertility magis and a dragon.
Unity of purpose and motive. Vibria and Jacsik have connections in the social circles of Eropean Draconian Nobility. Perhaps a visit to the King of the North is in order?

[i]Aldero of Mercere
Harco Covenant

7th of January
Year of Our Lord, 1242

Aldero,

I hope this letter finds you well. I'm pleased to say that I saw your grandson Marco just last month, and he's doing quite well. My son Stephanus is serving alongside Marco in his Redcap training, and I was able to join both of them for a meal during a visit to their covenant.

I'm writing to you for two reasons, both relating to the good of the House.

First, I have recently been to Iberia where I spent a few days at the Six Pillars Hermitage in Sierra de Gredos in central Spain. It is a quiet and secluded hermitage, not a covenant proper but a well hidden retreat used by magi for sabbaticals and retreats. It's currently controlled by Cesar ex Criamon, an elderly magus who feels he is not long for this world. He has consented to allow the hermitage to be used, now and after his death, as a residence for any retired Redcaps who wish a life of seclusion and quiet. Now, I know that a monastic life is not well suited to all retired Redcaps. But I'm also aware that, largely due to the effects of Warping, there are some who would prefer a life of quiet solitude in their final years. For those Redcaps, this may be just the retreat that they are seeking. To that end, I wished to let you know of the availability of the Six Pillars Hermatige for such purpose.

Second, I wanted to make you aware that a maga in my covenant, Fleur ex Bonisagus, has been making great strides in the area of fertility magic. As this could be of great interest to the House, I wanted to bring it to your attention. I also wanted to make a request. I know that the House has a number of geneological records and notes on rudimentary fertility magic. Such notes might be of great use to my sodales, allowing her to make greater and greater breakthroughs*, which could benefit House Mercere, as well as the Order of Hermes in general. I would therefore request that she be granted access to these notes to aid in her research. I should be happy to ferry the notes personally should my request be granted.

Cecelia and I will be in Harco on the 23rd of January to dine with Elegans and Velox. I can easily arrange to arrive early if you wish to discuss either of these matters in greater detail.

Please give my regards to Marguerite.

Yours in service,
Lucas [/i]

[hr][/hr]

• I was thinking that these notes might be considered a source of insight for fertility magic.

better yet, they may be lab texts from someone else's previous insights being explored.

Potential hook/foreshadowing/whatever.

For those characters visiting Heracleion during, say, 1235-1240 and again in 1240 - 1245, there seems to be increased nervousness from the guards and Citizen. More vigilance on the walls, too.

what of the year 1242? Roberto spends the Summer there on Vacation, healing up after the injuries suffered in Paris during Ancient History. He brings Carlos with him and anyone else that wants to go. No adventures, just vacation.

Sounds good.

(Leaving, gonna lie somewhere. Have a nice day)

In case it was missed, there is a question about Cecelio fostering Vera, and the potential that Vera may be an inspiration source for Fertility magic...