Chapter2: Patrick and the Magic Trough

At this, Viola fixes Patrick with an intense stare, before finally replying, "Old goats that no one wants otherwise? I suppose. But I hope I don't find you feeding healthy animals from your trough."

Scott

"Well, we'd talked a bit about doing chickens, too, just to increase the pool of subjects, but if ye can make a strong argument 'gainst it, I'd certainly consider yer words. But ye concede the original point while leaving my latest riposte unanswered. From where does morality stem? Do we have some inherent right to call things good or bad, nevermind what the critters themselves think? 'Tis not a question I ask lightly, you understand. Nay, 'tis perhaps more'n the point of these experiments than the effects on the animals the'selves, but our human reactions to them."

Viola replies to this, trying to conceal an exasperated sigh: "Let's...not argue moral philosophy. But if it hurts the animals, I think it's bad...yes, because they think it's bad, especially if they end up half-blind or sensitive to sunlight. Leave it at that?"

Scott

Patrick would just heave a giant depressing sigh, and mutter, "Let's not talk moral philosophy, she says," as he walks away looking like the most singularly wronged human being on the planet.

Maybe if Patrick proves nice they can have a discussion about it later...."Moral philosophy" is Viola's specialization in Philosophiae just as it is for Patrick. :slight_smile:

Scott

Patrick is gone, and presumably took his warped goats with him, but a review of this thread indicates that he's apparently left us with some warped vermin, including "Vole Wranglers", which, judging by Patrick's character sheet, are intelligent voles armed with metal shards.

I could rule it never happened, since the SG gets to pick the effects of Warping...but it's just too entertaining to get rid of.

Scott

I think perhaps get the magi together "at some point soon" and discuss it.
Patrick has created a nice little in-character thing for us to resolve. It would need the member Magi to really have any authority in the choice.

Adding this here so you don't have to go looking for it outside the thread:

Has Patrick taken the trough with him when he leaves, or do we still have it? If the latter, I assume no one's bothering to refill it (if they haven't out-right removed it).

I think some of the other magi might actually have been insistent that Patrick take it.

Scott

That's entirely fine by Gregorius.

He doesn't have quite the same revulsion towards it that some Bjornaer / Merinita might have but it still seems...distasteful? Pointlessly cruel?