Chapterhouse: Mallorca, roll call.

If you have a character to plant at our island paradise, please post the sheet (plus any introduction the character might have) here.

Thalassa Ex Miscellanea

"θάλασσα καὶ πῦρ καὶ γυνή, κακὰ τρία!" ("Sea and fire and woman, three evils!")

Through dedicated study of the Lost Magic of Atlantis, a small sect of Greek hedge wizards have learned how to transform themselves into Atlanteans. Thalassa is blue skinned with black hair and webbed digits; when moving among mundanes, she typically disguises herself as a middle aged Moorish woman, rather than as her appearance prior to transformation.

Due to the nature of her transition, she must remain within a mile of the sea and cannot leave a strong magical aura for very long. In consideration of these limitations, she has taken up residence on the isle of Sa Dragonera, and has been seeking assistance in establishing a covenant there.

Essential Trait: Atlantean (+3 to Presence and Communication rolls when dealing with denizens of the sea)

Int +2 Per +1
Str -3 Sta +2
Pre +2 Com +2
Dex 0 Qik 0

Free choices: The Gift, Hermetic Maga, Transformed Human, Atlantean Magic, True Friend: Pelagios; Necessary Condition: Touching Water
Virtues: Major Magical Focus: The Sea, Puissant/Affinity Aquam, Ways of the Sea, Affinity with Rego, Skilled Parens
Flaws: Anchored to the Sea, Driven: Restore Atlantis, Limited Magic Resistance: Terram, Unnatural Magic

Magical Qualities/Inferiorities: Gentle Air, Personal Vis Source (Aquam in shed scales), Voice of the Ocean; Bound to Magic, Environmental Magic Condition: When more than a mile away from ocean, Aquam Monstrosity (webbed fingers and toes).

Awareness 2
Code of Hermes 1
Concentration 1
Folk Ken 1
Latin 4
Magic Lore 2
Magic Theory 5 (Rego)
Order of Hermes Lore 1
Parma Magica 3
Penetration 2
Speak Greek 5
Swim 3

Creo 9, Intellego 5, Muto 5, Perdo 0, Rego 14 (70/105)
Animal 5, Aquam 16+3 (94/141), Auram 11, Corpus 4, Herbam 0
Ignem 0, Imaginem 0, Mentem 5, Terram 0, Vim 0

Spells Known:
Decree of the Atlantean, ReAn10 (Base 2, +3 Water-way, +1 Conc)
Drawn to Atlantis (as Pull of the Watery Grave, at Water-Way range), ReAq35
Sea Squall (Clouds of Rain and Thunder, Dur: Diam; must be cast at sea), CrAu25
Tower of Whirling Water (Duration: Storm), ReAq35
Disguise of the Atlantean (caster appears as a normal human), MuCo10
Fins of the Merfolk (Base 4, Range: Touch, Dur: Sun), MuCo(Aq)15
Murmur of the Deep, InIm10 (Base 1, +3 Water-way, +2 Sun)
Aura of Ennobled Presence, MuIm10

1st Cycle: Thalassa takes up residence within Atlantis and focuses on her studies.
Year 1: +40 Rego
Year 2: +40 Aquam
Year 3: +10 Parma, +30 Auram
Year 4: +15 Parma, +5 Order of Hermes Lore, +5 Magic Lore, +5 Code of Hermes, +10 Penetration
Year 5: +15 Creo, +15 Mentem, +10 Magic Lore
Year 6: +25 Magic Theory, +5 Folk Ken, one wasted season
Year 7: +21 Auram, +9 Creo, Binds Familiar
Year 8: Opens necklace for enchantment, attunes as talisman, 2x seasons enchanting conc-dur "Sea Squall" with talisman maintaining concentration

Thalassa's talisman is a necklace, crafted mundanely by Caduceus of Verditius. The central pendant is a crystal sphere with a hollow center, filled with water from Atlantis; a pair of opals and a pair of sapphires flank the central pendant on either side.

Pelagios, Dolphin familiar
(Forthcoming)

Can non-hermetics (I am thinking a folk witch) be used? Time to time participation, since I cannot guarantee permanent implication (even if I would finish any adventure I am in).

The idea for the character is as the brother of a minor noble that is the leader of the local Sabbath (men from this family act in that hereditary role). My plan is that he starts in the saga by attacking your covenant for trespassing and to test the strength of the newcomers. Local tradition of folk witches that changes Healing and Cursing for Mythic Herbalism and Hex.

EDIT: What is the current year in the saga?

Xavi

I don't see why not. I think we're looking at 1232 when current threads wrap up.

I'm in, with a Catalan Jerbiton merchant trained in Barcelona. I'm holding off on posting the entire character because Marko mentioned changing the character creation rules.

I have carefully recrafted Roberto Rodruigez of Flambeau, my favorite character of all time ever :smiley:
Will post later tonight, after laundry and I had a chance to give it a look over. I advanced him through 1233 and figured this chapterhouse would start in 1234. But one or two years is not a big adjustment.

But early 1230's it is, since that is when the action takes place. I will double down on research so I can handle the mundane/political end of this thing and leave others free to create stories that don't deal with mundane reality (or if they do, I can feed them the info).
We are gonna be dealing with pirates, hedge wizards, hedge wizard pirates, hermetic renegade pirates, a dragon island, sea creatures, and a magical race of aquatic humans known as Tritons (some cool stuff I have been looking up, imagining what would happen if we get sucked into the Triton-Atlantis wars).

OK, v1 from the character. After writing it doen I noticed that you had house rules for character creation, so I need to redo it :exclamation:

STARTING PROFILE
Name: Arnau de Santmartí
Covenant: Sa Dragonera
Saga: Light of Andorra (Sa Dragonera)
Characteristics: Int +2, Per +1, Pre 0, Com +1, Str +1, Sta +1, Dex +1, Qik -1
Size: 0
Age: 20 (20), Height: 5'7'', Weight: 150 lbs, Gender: Male
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (0)
Confidence: 1 (3)
Virtues: Gentleman, Temporal Influence (ear of Guillem III de Santmartí, brother and one of the big names of Mallorca), Inoffensive to Animals, Puissant Folk Witch MT, Puissant Mythic Herbalism, Inventive Genius (+3 potions, items & spells. +6 if experiment), Well Trained x3
Flaws: Lycanthrope (wolf, Major), Overconfident (Major) Nocturnal, Deleterious circumstances (when in a crowd, -3 casting total), Warped Magic (cold wind)

Combat: (To be calculated)
Brawl
Longsword
Longsword & Shield:
Sling
Thrown item

Soak: +1 (+3 with armor; +10 with heavy armor when in battle)
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-5), -3 (6-10), -5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20), Dead (21+)

Speak Catalan (courtly) 5
Speak Arabic (formal) 3
Speak Latin (scholarly) 3
Catalonia Lore (noble families & politics) 2
Balearic Islands Lore (geography) 1
Athletics (swim) 2
Survival (forest) 1
Chirurgy (first aid) 1
Folk Ken (observe reactions) 2
Charm (Women) 2
Bargain (Nobles) 2
Witches Lore (personalities) 1
Civil & Canon Law (witchcraft) 2
Magic Lore (Items of virtue) 2
Faerie Lore (Catalan fae) 1
Infernal Lore (Curses) 1
Profession: Scribe 1
Profession: Apothecary (Plants) 3
Artes Lib. (Astronomy) 1
Concentration (Flying) 2
Penetration (curses) 1
Folk Witch MT (potions) 4+2
Animal Ken (mammals) 2
Dowsing (vis) 2
Flight (endurance) 2
Hex (Season) 1
Mythic Herbalism (Poisons) 4+2
Second Sight (spirits) 2
Shapeshift (mammals) 2
Brawl (bludgeon) 1
Single Weapon (Sword) 3
Thrown Weapon (item) 1

Shapeshift forms: Wolf, Raven.

Equipment:
Fine clothes, horse and all the items that you would find in the hands of a minor member of a noble family.
Dark red Cloak (Flight focus), Compass (Plumb-bob; focus for dowsing), Collar with wolf teeth and raven claws (Shapeshift wolf & crow focus)
Dagger, sling, longsword (load 1), metal reinforced leather armor (load 2, only when travelling), Haversack containing vials with potions and small clay balls filled with venom powders (load 1)

Encumbrance: 2 (1) (4 (2) if using armor)

DESCRIPTION
Arnau is the bastard son of Baron Guillem II de Sant Martí, baron of Sant Marti Sarroca, Subirats, Olèrdola, Eramprunyà and Castellet. He is the half brother of Baron Guillem III de Sant Martí, and one of his knights. However, his skills do not go very well towards arms, and plays more the role of councilor than fighter. Concretely, he plays the official role of chamberlain, and unofficial role of spy master. His brother knows about his abilities, since folk witchcraft has been part of the family tree for generations. Each generation one of the male members of the line is offered to the Wolf Spirit of Wood, and returns with the Gift and being a lycantrope. The uncle of the current baron is also a folk witch and leader of the local Sabbat in Sant Martí.

Being nobility they use their influence to have the Gifted members of the family educated in the monastery of Ripoll, one of the most important learning centres of Catalonia. Once they have a basis of education they are introduced to the arcane arts by the local coven of Sant Martí. The skills of the folk witches and their coven has served the barons of Sant Martí well in their political ascension, and the warlocks have a clear weight in the family circle.

Arnau participated in the invasion of Mallorca with his brother, and has remained here with him. his brother was awarded a large barony in the new conquered territory, and he has been awarded the income of one of the manors of the island, near Sant Elm. He did chose this manor because it contains a watchtower that belonged to a Sahir, and that has a magical aura where he has created his kitchen. He spends most of his time between this location, Esporles (where his brother's main manor is) or Palma de Mallorca, since his brother tends to attend court there.

Arnau is quite self confident, even overconfident and his nobility can make him overbearing to some. He has started contacting the local magicians of Mallorca and to explore the island in search of mystical sites. His main skill is with potions. He is an expert healer and poisoner, and expects to put his supernatural abilities at heavy use for the betterment of his family and his own. He tends to drug himself on nights of the full moon, but even in these cases he sometimes finds himself naked in the middle of the woods and with the metallic taste of blood in his mouth when he wakes up in the morning.

Arnau is fairly tall, he is shaved and has long black hair. He would be pretty convincing if it weren't for his strange air. Animals seem to work fine around him, though.

NOTES:
He has access to a kitchen in a level 3 aura (more if allowed) in a watchtower that was inhabited by a Sahir before the city was conquered.

His lab total can use Mythic Herbalism. He can use Folk Witch Magic Theory with it. It replaces Healing, I assume as much. However I will accept the troupe riuling against it. His lab total for MH would be 22 under the current parameters.

Hex cannot be used as a lab activity. It is the weak link in the character, really, but I find it much more relevant than Cursing, that is a hodgepodge of stuff with nothing that really ties together all the diverse things that it can do.

Hex and Mythic Herbalism provide the same magical defences that Healing and Cursing used to provide.

V&F are not defintive. Especially the flaws and maybe some virtues if I make him a Landed dude. Right now the flaws are designed around the fact that he is a Lycantrope. However, this might change for an Oath of Fealty to his brother (might be more fitting).

First projects will include binding a familiar and acquiring more proficiency with Hex (and AC to the major figures in the island).

I'll be bringing the shark Bjornaer I've mentioned, but I don't have him statted up just yet...

...If you eat my familiar, we're going to have words. :slight_smile:

Fair enough... 8)

Here is the latest draft of Roberto, though I am willing to fidget and tinker with him as needed. I am just posting final character stats. I have various versions of this incarnation of him; at gauntlet, and after each of his three cycles (Shadow Wars, Novus Mane, & Mons Electi). I need to add to his background to cover the last few years, so it is not inluced here. It is essentially the same as what is written for previous incarnations (Novus Mane Saga & Ruins of Bibracte
You may notice some slight differences in stats. The Andorra CharGen system allows for a slight boost, so a few things got done earlier and there was room for a few others. And there is a 5 year gap between when Bibracte leaves of and where this chapterhouse begins. And in both Novus Mane & Bibracte, I had a more powerful aura to work with (NM 6, ME 5, +5 Rego). So in order to fit some things in (like my familiar), I had to up some stats just a tad along the way (Magic Theory, Arts of Animal & Muto, etc).
I say all this because I feel guilty. I have always been ultra strict with Roberto so he cab be accepted as I take him from one saga to another (it may happen again, and I even played this guy in a larp at Grand Tribunal in San Jose).
The biggest change, for those who know the character (such as Fixer & Peregrine) is that I gave him a Transformation through Adventure, using the same rules everyone else has had access to. I gave him the Major Flaw of True Love NPC (a meremaid princess of a sunken city), and the Major Virtue of Gentle Gift.
Yes, Gentle Gift.
It fits him. He has ever been associated with mundanes his whole life and has ever been a champion of the common man. He has always had an entourage, since day one. He hands around rabble and others with social flaws just so he can find begrudging acceptance and somewhat normal socialization. And his parens had the Gentle Gift. And it fits with the whole romance with the princess thing and having a sailor crew he is part of.

so, without further adieu, I present Roberto Rodriguez of Flambeau 3.x, the original Knight of Seneca...

Roberto Rodriguez of Flambeau, Knight of Seneca: 1234
Characteristics: Int +2, Per +0, Com +0, Pre +1, Str +2, Sta +1, Dex +1, Quik +1
Size: 0
Current Season & Year: Winter 1234
Chronology: born in 1190; orphaned in 1197 at age 7; apprenticed in 1200 at age 10; battlefield gauntlet in 1212 at age 22 but finishes actual training in 1215 at age 25; follows Santiagio of Flambeau during the Shadow Wars and witnesses his master (supposedly) slay Rassus in 1219; migrates to Normandy and joins Novus Mane in 1200 at age 30; Many Adventures (Ugly Pete & the Sea Hag, pirates, Temple of Nehalenia, Sangria in Toledo and Leolinus, pirates, struggle for independence, Bone Merchant and flying a ship, Golden Scyth and blackout); at Santiago's request, he transfers to Mons Electi in 1227 at age 37, many events (Tribunal 1227, bonds with his Familiar Cidito in 1228, Alabaster Lioness, King Neptune, Ibiza)
Decrepitude: 0
Warping: 0 (3)
Confidence: 2 (5)
Virtues: +0 Gifted Hermetic Magus, +F Puissant Ignem, +1 Puissant Creo, +1 Life Boost, +1 Improved Characteristics, +1 Mastered Spells, +1 Self Confident, +1 Skilled Parens, +1 Warrior, +3 Flawless Magic; +1 True Friend*; +1 Minor Magic Focus in Creating Fire**; +3 Gentle Gift***
Flaws: -1 Infamous Master, -1 Reckless, -1 Mentor, -1 Unimaginative Learner, -3 Overconfident, -3 Weak Magic Resistance (when not in possession of a symbol of his Catholic faith, such as a rosary or a crucifix (he carries one of each)); -1 Difficult Spontaneous Magic**, -3 True Love (NPC)***
Notes: * Familiar; ** Twilight; *** Transformation
Personality Traits: Reckless +3, Brave +3, Self Assured +3, Introspective +2
Reputations: Infamous Master 3 (Hermetic), House Flambeau Acclaim (exceptionally bold) 3 (Hermetic)
Combat:
Spell Casting: Init +1 (+3 for PoF)
Fast Casting Speed: +6 (+8 for PoF)
Dodge: Init +1, Atk n/a, Def +6, Dmg n/a
Grapple: Init +1, Atk +5, Def +5, Dmg +2
Fistfight: Init +1, Atk +6, Def +6, Dmg +2
Knife: Init +1, Atk +6, Def +5, Dmg +4
Dagger: Init +1, Atk +7, Def +5, Dmg +5
Thrown Knife: Init +1, Atk +5, Def n/a, Dmg +4
Thrown Spear: Init +1, Atk +6, Def n/a, Dmg +7
Spear (& Large Round Shield): Init +2, Atk +9, Def +7 (+10), Dmg +7
Regular Longsword (& Large Round Shield): Init +3, Atk +11, Def +8 (+11), Dmg +8
Sword & Shield with all bonuses figured in: Init +3, Atk +15, Def +22, Dmg +13/+22
Notes: +9 Defense for Howl of the Steel Weapons or Shriek of the Wooden Shafts versus appropriate attacks; +1 Defense for Aegis of Unbreakable Wood; +3 Attack & +3 Damage for Kindness; +2 Damage for Edge of the Razor; +5 Damage (or double weapon's base Damage) for Sword of the Avenger
Soak: +6/+21
(Sta +1, Bronze Cord +2; Doublet of Impenetrable Silk +3; Ward vs Heat & Flames +15
In Armor: studded leather hauberk +8/+23, leather scale hauberk +9/+24, chainmail hauberk +12/+27
Fatigue: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, ko
Wound Penalties: -1 Light (1-5), -3 Medium (6-10), -5 Heavy (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20), Lethal (21+)
Abilities: Spanish 5 (Catilian, banter), Iberian Area Lore 3 (Reconquista); Artes Liberales 1 (literacy), Athletics 2 (fitness), Awareness 2 (alert), Brawl 4 (fistfight), Charm 1 (wit), Code of Hermes 1 (procedure), Concentration 3 (spells), Finesse 4 (speed), French, Langue D'Oc 3 (tough talk), Folk Ken 2 (warriors), Guile 1 (smarminess), Hunt 1 (track), Infernal Lore 1 (Flaming Shadows), Intrigue 1 (alliances), Latin 4 (dramatic speech), Leadership 3 (in combat), Magic Lore 1 (mythic beasts), Magic Theory 6 (spells), Normandy Lore 2 (covenants), Order of Hermes Lore 3 (Flambeau), Parma Magica 5 (Ignem), Penetration 2 (Creo), Philosophiae 1 (ceremonial casting), Profession-Seaman 1 (marine), Profession-Scribe 1 (copying), Profession-Soldier 3 (almogavar), Ride 1 (in battle), Single Weapon 6 (long sword), Stealth 1 (ambush), Survival 1 (forage), Teaching 1 (martial training), Thrown Weapon 3 (spear)
Arts:
Creo 6+3, Intéllego 3, Muto 3, Perdo 5, Rego 10
Animal 3, Aquam 0, Auram 4, Corpus 4, Herbam 3
Ignem 10+3, Imaginem 0, Mentem 4, Terram 3, Vim 5
Twilight Scars & Effects: none
Magic Sigil: style and grace
Symbolic Sigil: a wide seven pointed star (a 7/2 heptagram)

Standard Accoutrements: (stuff he is presumed to have on-hand at any given time)
[tab][/tab]crucifix, longsword (Kindness), large round shield (emblazoned with sigil), dagger, knife, rosary, decent clothing, leather boots & gloves, another crucifix, red cape (the same tattered red cape he has had for years and really needs to be replaced), black heavy wool cloak (optional), gold ring with a small ruby (his Fons et Origio, secret satchel of Arcane Connections (see below)
Other Possessions: lab equipment & assorted accoutrements, hauberk of studded leather, leather scale armor, chainmail hauberk, seven spears, five various swords, an axe, three more sets of clothes (another decent, one very fine, one casual, one rugged), old grey wool cloak, camping equipment, bedroll, miscellaneous gear, bright red velvet ceremonial wizard robes with gold embroidered symbols (hourglass, forked dragon, catholic cross, heptagram, neptune, Saint James, and a firebird), bible, crucifix, candelabra, rosary, icon of Mary, statuette of Saint James, backpack, brand-new iron bound oak chest with a heavy padlock,
Permanent Arcane Connections:
Secret Satchel: silver crucifix (a monastery in Campostella), small piece of iron (Wirth's sanctum in Novus Mane), key (his oak chest to be put in his sanctum), small chunk of rope (Johan's ship), jeweled seashell (Princess Soteira's palace in Heracleion)
Other Items: tin shooter (Betty's tavern), smooth white stone (Mons Electi), a gold ankh (Pyramids I), guitar string (Carlos' guitar), lock of hair (Carlos), tooth (Johan)
Vis Stock: 4 Ignem & 3 Vim in ring (his Fons et Origio)
Encumbrance: 0 (Load 3, Burden 2, Str +2)
In Armor: Studded Leather Hauberk 0 (Load 5, burden 2); scale leather hauberk 1 (Load 6, burden 3), chainmail hauberk 1 (Load 7, Burden 3);
Enchanted & Exceptional Items:
Angel of Aelianus: Lesser Enchanted Device
[tab][/tab]Created by Aelianus of Verditius, Pontifex of Novus Mane; the Angel is a wooden statuette about a foot high, carved & painted in intricate detail. It is a hallmark of master craftsmanship. He has created several angels so far, each different from the rest. This one has his hands held high and head thrown back (Swan Song Records), and is titled "Iccarus".
CrIg(Au)40 Chamber of Summer Breezes
R: Touch, D: Item Maintains Concentration, T: Room; Unlimited Use
[tab][/tab]The Angel generates a warm breeze of fresh air that provides heat and fresh ventilation. The overall effect of this Magical Heating & Ventilation is a bonus of +2 Health. Aelianus specifically designed it for magi who live in their sanctum and/or may have very large labs. An additional magnitude for Size accounts for this possibility.
(Base 2, +1M Touch, +1M Concentration, +2M Room, +1M Size, +1M Auram, +1M Unnatural; +5L Item Maintains Concentration, +10L Unlimited Use)
Carpet of Orestes: Lesser Enchanted Device
[tab][/tab]Obtained as a gift from the covenant of Pyramids I during the Alabaster Lioness Expedition (part II)
ReAn35 Flying Carpet of Orestes:
R: Item, D: Item Maintains Concentration, T: Ind, Unlimited Use
(Base 1, +2M Unnatural Motion, +1M Speed, +1M carry a Person, +1M extra weight, +1M Concentration; +5L Item Maintains Concentration, +10L Unlimited Use)
Kindness: Exceptional Weapon
Statistics: Init +2, Atk +7, Def +1, Dmg +9
[tab][/tab]Roberto has gone through several swords in his career. Clemente, his old longsword named after his father, was given as a gift to his sodale Wirth. Carlita was a sword he used for a short time during the Shadow Wars, which was disintegrated by Rassus. Santiago, named for his mentor from whom it was recieved as a gift, was lost in the boiling sea. Kindness was crafted by Pedro, using Vandium steel and the Toledo style, to prove the point that he could craft a blade as fine as Santiago. He did better. When Pedro was slain in battle, he gave the sword to Roberto and whispered his dying breath "...kill them with kindness...". Roberto accepted the sword and was going to name it Vengador, but then noticed Pedro had already inscribed the name "Kindness" upon it.
Familiar: Don Diaz (aka "Cidito"), an orange tabby tomcat of girth and gumption
Cidito is a fat orange tomcat that followed Roberto from Novus Mane. Mainly because Roberto always gave him his leftover milk, and also because he likes sleeping in his fireplace. It is unknown if Cidito was warped into his magical state from the high Magic Aura of Novus Mane, if he acquired these traits elsewhere, or if he was born that way. There are apocryphal legends that Flambeau (or Delendos) had an orange tabby familiar, a sort of undocumented lineage of magical cats. Cidito may be fat, but he is also large and strong for a cat. He has a bold personality, confident and unafraid. Full statistics for Cidito are given below. The Bond statistics are as follow...
Bond Score: 35 (7 pawns)
Bond Level: 24
Cord Scores: Gold +1, Silver +2, Bronze +2
Lab Assistance: Int +1, Magic Theory 4 (Ignem)
Enchantments: (4 pawns)
CrMe15 Complex Mental Communication (Roberto to Cidito)
CrMe15 Complex Mental Communication (Cidito to Roberto)
[strike]Laboratory:
Characteristics: Size +0, Refinement +1, General Quality +0, Upkeep +2, Safety +1, Warping +0, Health -2, Aesthetics +3 (Reputation-Spell Master +2 (Hermetic))
Virtues: +0 Defenses, +0 Guard, +0 Superior Construction, +0 Superior Equipment, +1 Living Quarters, +3 Greater Feature-Spell Circle (inscribed with sigil)[/strike]
Flaws: -3 Greater Focus-Spell Circle
Specializations: +7 Spells, +1 Vis Extraction
Spells Known:
MuAn15 Doublet of Impenetrable Silk: Mastery 1 (Stalwart)
CrCo20r The Chirgeon's Gentle Caress: Mastery 1 (Stalwart)
ReCo15 Wizard's Leap: Mastery 3 (Fast Cast, Stalwart, Precise)
ReCo20 Incantation of Paralyzation: Mastered 3 (Imperturbable, Fast Cast, Flex-Diameter)
ReCo35 Seven League Stride: Mastered 1 (Stalwart)
InHe15 Shriek of the Wooden Shafts: Mastery 1 (Stalwart)
MuHe15 Aegis of Unbreakable Wood: Mastery 1 (Stalwart)
CrIg5 Palm of Flame: Mastery 1 (Imperturbable)
CrIg10 Heat of the Searing Forge: Mastery 1 (Penetration)
CrIg10 Lamp without Flame: Mastery 1 (Imperturbable)
CrIg15 Test of the Flames: Mastery 1 (Resistance)
CrIg20 Flash of Dazzling Light: Mastery 1 (Fast Cast)
CrIg20 Pilium of Fire: Mastery 5 (Penetration, Fast Cast, Multicast, Quik x2)
Cr(Re)Ig20 Sword of the Avenger: Mastery 5 (Imperturbable, Fast Cast, Penetration, Subtle, Lab)
PeIg5 Chill of Winter: Mastery 1 (Flex-Voice)
PeIg20 Wizard's Touch of Cold: Mastery 1 (Penetration)
ReIg25 Ward against Heat & Flames: Mastery 1 (Stalwart)
PeIm20 Veil of Invisibility: Mastery 1 (Flex-Concentration)
InTe15 Howl of the Steel Weapons: Mastery 1 (Stalwart)
MuTe20 Edge of the Razor: Mastery 1 (Penetration)
PeVi5 Demon's Eternal Oblivion: Mastery 3 (Multicast, Penetration, Flex-Sight)
PeVi15 Lancea Magica: Mastery 2 (Penetration, Unraveling)
PeVi15 Thwarting the Thaumaturgical Threat: Mastery 3 (Fast Cast, Stalwart, Unraveling)
ReVi15 Transfer the Essence of Vis: Mastery 1 (Fast Cast)
ReVi20 Circular Ward against Demons: Mastery 1 (Lab)
ReVi20 Maintain the Demanding Spell: Mastery 1 (Lab)

I like her a lot, but you should note that she has a Magic Might of 0.

Also, I'm slightly uncomfortable with the whole "magic human maga", since this allows you to start the game with a lot more virtues than other people and the equivalent of 2 major hermetic virtues:
Major (09 pts): MMF, Gentle Air (Gift), Ways of the Sea
Minor (06 pts): Puissant Aquam, Affinity with Aquam, Affinity with Rego, Skilled Parens, Personal Vis Source (Aquam in shed scales), Voice of the Ocean

Worse, since she has a MM of 0, the whole transformation mechanism allows you to easily pile on additional virtues/flaws, AND makes you immune to both aging and warping, without any penalty to learning... This seems a little too much IMO.
I'd be a more comfortable if you either did her either as a magical being or a maga, but not the 2. As it is, you’ve got the best of both worlds.

For exemple, if you drop Transformed Human and Gentle Gift:
Major Non-Hermetic ExMisc Virtue: Ways of the Sea
Minor Hermetic ExMisc Virtue: Atlantean Magic
Major Hermetic Virtue (3): MMF with the Sea,
Minor Virtues (6): Puissant Aquam, Affinity with Aquam, Affinity with Rego, Skilled Parens, Personal Vis Source (Aquam in shed scales), Voice of the Ocean
Add Inofensive to Animals for 1 point, and your Gift still bothers people, but not the sea life, which, if I’m right, is the main reason why you took it in the first place.
This gives you almost the same character, without the full gentle gift, immunity to age/warping and the possibility to pile on virtues. I'd probably drop Skilled Parens for Magical Blood, though.

Isn't Hex an Infernal ability, and the whole reason why Cursing was invented for "normal" folk witches?
I know that, in your saga, you ruled a lot of infernal abilities to be "just magic", but I'm quite uncomfortable with this, I like a lot that the more powerful and heinous powers are infernal, it gives it something to tempt players with, and makes for terrifying villains. So, IMO, having Hex, sure, but it is an Infernal ability, not a magical one.
For mythic herbalism, I think this suits them just fine, no problem.

As per the year, it all depends on when the chapterhouse is created. I'd say around 1235. Sooner seems a little too soon, since the masters just settled. Also, it gives an incentive to stop fooling around in the main covenant and advance some more instead of stalling. Take the time to do things and plan :smiley:

Base 1 +2 +1 +1 +1 +1 = 15. +5 for concentration, +10 unlimited uses = lvl 30, not 35
This is from tC&tC, is it? If so, you should write that it flies “as fast as a horse can run”.

Ah Ah Ah, awesome :laughing:
It’s a pleasure to see Roberto again. I’d have redone Wirth, too, but since I’m supposed to put Aranka in there…

Serfs parma, but IIRC Hex is explicitly stated to be infernal most of the time, but that Faerie and Magic versions of it also exist. Also, I did not say that it is not creepy. Hexing someone is a Bad Thing[sup]TM[/sup], so it will not be an everyday occurrence. Even if it is not infernal Arnau knows it is a Bad Thing[sup]TM[/sup] anyway. He should do penance if he plans to go to the afterlife "clean".

What we made un-infernal were Binding and Commanding. There are even divine versions of these powers, so forcing them to be infernal seems quite a bit too much. Hermetics can also do exactly the same without it implying any drawback. Ablating keeps being infernal since it is basically torturing and raping until total destruction.

Anyway, I can go for Cursing if you prefer that. It is less fun (you cannot curse someone never to be really loved or to fail to get the recognition of his peers, or curse a bloodline with something nasty, but it is MUCH easier to pull out than hexes and can be quite nasty as well. I prefer the mood-setting approach of Hex, but can work with an ability like Cursing, since in practical mechanical terms it is more powerful than Hex. :slight_smile:

I will keep Herbalism instead of Healing.

Yesterday night I looked into the Folk Witches in HMRE and decided to change quite a few things in terms of V&F. The important consideration is in terms of mundane abilities, though:

Gentleman or knight (can' recall if knight is a major virtue; need to check LoM)
Temporal Influence. he has the ear of a major character at court, and holds a manor for him, even if it is not his.
WEALTHY. Since Landed noble does not make you affluent in terms of time I decided to keep Wealthy instead. He does not hold land, but his family has more than a few uses for him.

Question: Are there specific rules for how much XP you accumulate in late game if you are Wealthy or Poor?. It is important for the character development. Since the rules of 40XP/year are maintained in later character development for hermetics, I assume that the case is the same for Wealthy and Poor V&F, so a Wealthy character would gain +10XP/year for a net total of 50XP/year.

For flaws, I would centre around Oath of Fealty (he is a landed noble after all!) and the Overconfident major flaw. The rest are minor magical flaws.

So he reinforces his position and obligations in the mundane world, while taking away some of the supernatural ones.

I think I will need to contact marko on the XP thing, to make sure. Among other things it seems that it would work as a magus for vis salary and all this stuff, but on the other hand he is NOT a magus and so does not have 4 seasons/year available, unless he spends his dedicated season crafting stuff for his family, for example (curses, enriched items...), so I need to work around that...

Cheers,
Xavi

First of all, I want to thank Marko for allowing me to (potentially) come into the new Chapterhouse in this campaign. I am so excited to be a part of such a long-standing saga!

Secondly, I've got a idea for my character that I will be posting up at some point in the next couple of days. I'm thinking of going with a Mercere, Puissant Creo. And, because it always seems to be missing when necessary in games, I'm making him something of a medic. I'm not saying that nobody else has medical talent, just that this guy would be a doctor without the magical abilities.

I will be working on him over the next few days, and I will probably edit this particular post to allow for the character generation. I ask that you all be gentle with me on the character generation as I have created but 1 character for 5E, so I'm a bit of a noob at the mechanics. I know it's going to look ugly at first, but any/all help is more than appreciated!

Ok, here is the first incarnation of my character. Until further notice, I am only going to post the mechanical crunchiness of him.

I would like to point out that I used Metacreator, combined with an excel spreadsheet character generator, to create this guy. The spreadsheet shows he's finished, but Metacreator shows I still have 60 XP left to spend on him. Not sure why that is - I used the house rules as put forth by Marko for the XP amounts. If anyone notices where my math is off, please let me know. Otherwise, just let me know what thoughts you all have and where I could have done better!

Character Name: Guillaume Des Jardins
House: Mercere

Date of Birth: September 17, 1208
Current Age: 22
Apparent Age: 22
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 160 lbs.
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Brown

Personality Traits

• Humble: +3
  • Honest: +2
  • Helpful: +1

Characteristics

• Intelligence: +2
  • Perception: +2
  • Strength: -1
  • Stamina: +2
  • Presence: +1
  • Communication: +1
  • Dexterity: 0
  • Quickness: 0

Vitals

• Decrepitude: 0
  • Warping: 0
  • Confidence: 1 (3 points)
  • Size: 0
  • Soak: +2
  • Encumbrance: 0
  • LT Fatigue: 0

Flaws

• Dutybound (Minor; bound by the Hippocratic Oath to treat the sick)
  • Humble (Minor)
  • Mentor (Minor; Needs to be an NPC, so I have to work with Marko on whom)
  • Necessary Condition (Major; Has to be humming while casting spells)
  • Short-Ranged Magic (Major; Casting totals halved when not touching the target)
  • Slow Caster (Minor)

Virtues

• Arcane Lore (Minor)
  • Educated (Minor)
  • The Gift (Free)
  • Greater Purifying Touch (Major; Black Plague)
  • Hermetic Magus (Free)
  • Improved Characteristics (Minor)
  • Method Caster (Minor)
  • Minor Magical Focus (Minor; Healing)
  • Puissant Creo (Free)
  • Skilled Parens (Minor)
  • Special Circumstances (Minor; Touching the target)

Abilities

• Area Lore, Normandy 2 (15)
  • Artes Liberales 3 (30)
  • Awareness 1 (5)
  • Bargain 2 (15)
  • Brawing, Knife 1 (5)
  • Charm 2 (15)
  • Chirurgy 2 (15)
  • Code of Hermes 2 (15)
  • English 3 (30)
  • Finesse 2 (15)
  • Folk Ken 2 (15)
  • French 5 (0; Native Language)
  • Guile 2 (15)
  • Latin 4 (50)
  • Magic Lore 2 (15)
  • Magic Theory 2 (15)
  • Medicine 3 (30)
  • Native Area Lore, Burges 2 (15; Does not count towards total at character creation per house rules)
  • Order of Hermes Lore 3 (30)
  • Parma Magica 1 (5)
  • Philosophiae 3 (30)
  • Ride 1 (5)
  • Survival 2 (15)
  • Swim 1 (5)

Techniques

• Creo 10 (55; +3 to casting totals)
  • Intellego 2 (3)
  • Muto 6 (21)
  • Perdo 4 (10)
  • Rego 4 (10)

Arts

• Corpus 10 (55)
  • Herbam 1 (1)

Spells Known

• Bind Wound (CrCo 10; +28)
  • Charm Against Putrefaction (CrCo 10; +28)
  • Curse of the Unruly Tongue (ReCo 5; +10)
  • Dust to Dust (PeCo 15; +10)
  • Eyes of the Cat (MuCo 5; +11)
  • Gift of the Frog's Legs (ReCo 15; +19)
  • Preternatural Growth and Shrinking (MuCo 15; +21)
  • Purification of the Festering Wounds (CrCo 20; +28)
  • Restoration of the Defiled Body (CrCo 25; +34)
  • Revealed Flaws of Mortal Flesh (InCo 10; +17)
  • Rise of the Feathery Body (ReCo 10; +19)
  • The Severed Limb Made Whole (CrCo 25; +34)
  • The Wound That Weeps (PeCo 15; +10)

And a sample image:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

A magical mercere. Nice :slight_smile:

Since you know 3rd edition a warning: in 5th edition damage is significantly different than in 3rd edition. You no longer have damage levels, but you suffer wounds and have cumulative penalties. After a while even small wounds mount up, and since they affect your defence total your opponent will have an attack advantage that is bruital and you will sufffer enough damage to die.

Now when it comes to healing all that damage, the old Chirurgeon's healing touch sucks big time. it used to be an extremely useful spell. Now no magus in his right mind would take it. Most of the time, at least. It is better to use spells that provide a recovery bonus. These are also CrCo effects, so it fits well as well. Suggested spells are the ones that provide recovery bonuses of +9 or higher, severed limb made whole, something to remove poison and something to rebalance humors.

Cheers,
Xavi

• Hex can be aligned with Magic or Faerie as well, I have no issue

• Chirgeons Healing Tough" improves one wound by one level in this saga (the first printing of ArM5 wasn't fully thought out)

• A magus with magic might makes me uncomfortable also.

• for the carpet, I will find a reason to add a miscellaneous magnitude. It is used to hunt pirates; float among clouds, be invisible (using that spell), swoop down and blast deck and sail with six PoF's, his crew sails in and scoops up the salvage.

• ...more to come...

• Hex can be aligned with Magic or Faerie as well, I have no issue

• Chirgeons Healing Tough" improves one wound by one level in this saga (the first printing of ArM5 wasn't fully thought out)

• A magus with magic might makes me uncomfortable also.

• for the carpet, I will find a reason to add a miscellaneous magnitude. It is used to hunt pirates; float among clouds, be invisible (using that spell), swoop down and blast deck and sail with six PoF's, his crew sails in and scoops up the salvage.

• ...more to come...

Both of Marko's posts were hiding. I quoted one and posted it in an attempt to make the forum behave. Looks like we are gearing up for the quarterly forum software breakdown spectacular.

You probably have more points than that. I see you put 75 points into your Native Language. There's a glitch in the current version of MetaCreator: you have to manually reset the starting score for your Native Language. (I had to ask on their yahoo group when that came out, because that, and the fact that the Native Language you choose during initial character creation doesn't take.)

When you select your native language, or select it after the fact, double-click to open the window. Set the score to 5 in that initial window, then click on "New", at the bottom of that window. Double-click the "Abilities" option, then click on the "Starting Score". Set the Value to 5, then click "OK". Click "Close" on the "Select Option" window, then "OK" on "French". Then you should be good to go. Still plugging him into MC to see if I can see the problem.

Although, I don't see an Age on the sheet...think that might be part of the problem?

(edit) Also: isn't Knife a Brawling weapon, not a Single Weapon weapon?

(edit le deux) After tweaking the Data:Configuration to the house rules for character generation, I'm also getting 725 out of 785 xp spent, assuming an age of 25. If his age is actually 22, then it comes out right.

It's odd that this is the case, especially when you consider that I followed the book example for age:

Childhood = to age 5
Later Life = 6 - 10
Apprenticeship = 11 - 25

Based on the house rules, that's 45 XP for Childhood, then 100 for Later Life. But it seems Metacreator is assuming a starting age after apprenticeship of 22, giving the character an additional 60 XP. I changed the age to 22, and the XP comes out right.

Interesting. Should this be reported to Alter Ego as a bug? Or are we always going to have to be 22 to start?

Either way, I've updated the sheet here with with above changes, as well as some personal information about the character. I'll still take any advice you guys can give me!