Character & Covenant Development

Marko - read the words.

I didn't say "Winter", I said "Wintery" - as in snow on the ground everywhere (and not magically so, unless it's truly widespread). The Seasons have nothing to do with it - it's the environment, just as any other "land".

You feel better, we can all it "snow and iceland".

The same cost, but not the same yardstick.

Cold is not the same threat as Fire. And what is "common and potentially deadly" to a mundane would not be so to a mage, not to the same degree, if at all. Many virtues/flaws work this way - I believe this is one.

If the day is hot, he's screwed.
If there is a bonfire anywhere around, he's screwed. (not uncommon at all in medieval times)

How is this the same?

Good thinking - let's make it a Major flaw version - instead of -3, he can't do it at all.

I can see grogs being a pawn in Tytalus 'games.' My trouble with your story is that he convinced multiple grogs to attack. Even if you were able to just convince the shield grog, I would expect Tytalus masters to have low level wards vs. terram and herbam on themselves since they know the eventual outcome of apprenticeship. A single grog ambush is more believable, and could do the job - grog rolls well, master rolls poorly, or just rolls poorly on recovery. How does he get past the wards? Give the grog an icicle. It doesn't even have to be magical to be used as a weapon. Then, when your parens die, eveyone thinks it was the grog's fault, and you can tell them otherwise, or go on to a second parens for the rest of your apprenticship (if you don't want the flaw weak parens), but this time you won't take any crap from your master. You put it to him straight: finish teaching me with respect, or I will kill you too. Just a thought anyway.

You took Carefree (You are unshakably cheerful and happy in all circumstances.), and this just makes me think of the Joker from The Dark Knight movie with all you have written about your character. Is this the kind of angle you are going for? Proud would work better, in my mind. He arrogantly plays with other Tytalus, but sees everyone else as beneath his attention.

It still should apply to a single piece of land at all times, not dependant on the condition of the land or the time of year. This is the one I have the hardest time with, and as an SG I would reject it. However, as I am a player and I don't see how it will affect me at all. I just bring it up for discussion. Falls makes the call.

In mathematical terms they are identical. Each applies x amount of damage depending on the intensity, each is common and very prevalent, and both are seriously deadly. And your sliding scale of deadly to a mundane versus deadly to a magus, that doesn't wash. Every Flambeau should be able to take "Immunity to Fire" by that logic. Companions and magi use the same yardstick.

They both have to do with the ambient temperature. It is the same concept applied two different ways. But I do suppose it is perfectly legal. Stand next to a fire on a summer day and you divide by 4.

[/quote]

Nope. As a minor flaw, you divide by two. The -3 penatly was 4th edition. You now divide by two. Going from half to nothing isn't worth the two extra flaw points IMO. It would be a -2 Flaw, but there are no more -2 flaws.

But rock out with your bad self! I like the concept and backstory. :smiley:

Hey folks,
Looks great so far. Here are some specific comments for those of you with new stuff:

Apple

Stellar concept. Everything he’s involved with will be interesting and he’ll pull you into proactivity like no one’s business.

This is a great player goal. His entire life can build toward this.

To wit: these two goals are incredible. They fill me with joy. Any character with this engine behind him will be great.

I like the juxtaposition, but, as Hound said, we have words for someone who’s nice to you, likes talking to you, but is willing to casually plan and execute your murder. He hit the one that has been popping up in my head, too – sociopath. Most people, even most Tytalus, aren’t casual about premeditated murder. I don’t know if that’s a realm I want to walk, but if you really do, we can work it out.

If murder is casual (or at least, becomes a “logical next step” in a “game”) it takes some of the oomph out of an act that could really define the character. I don’t want to veto your idea, but I want to point him toward stories we can all be comfortable telling. Can we put something more human into him, some human weakness other than being what looks, from this angle, a lot like a sociopath? I think playing a human element off his “homicidal bent” might be enough to soften him up. If he killed his master for love or to stop something heinous or, well, something, that’s a stronger character. Then we have the “homicidal bent” in conflict with another force – love, desire to do good – and that conflict can drive him somewhere neat. Otherwise, I see him as basically a villain, which can work, but everyone else has to be OK with it and how it will change the game (for you especially).

There are many ways to play this out the high stakes, high risk character you’ve presented. He’ll be fun and exciting regardless, but I want an outcome where everyone can be on board. Personally, I prefer one where this homicidal urge is tempered by something, and though he might end up on the wrong side when all’s said and done (maybe that’s his spectacular end), it will be the result of conflict, not a forgone conclusion.

Johnathan
Looks great to me, and I’ll put him on my docket to audit if you want. What about his personality? What sorts of challenges do you see him facing? He could certainly grow into a scary wizard killer and death incarnate against mundanes if he wanted, but it seems like he’s down to his wits against faeries, magical creatures, or demons. Was that your intention, or am I missing something?

In any case, I’m excited about doing classic hero stuff with him, maybe with a bit of a twist here and there – was that what you had in mind?

Korvin
Looks good. I’ve got the history, now I want to know more about the man, and about your goals for playing him. Where do you see him ending up? What kind of stories do you want to be involved in? How does he feel about all of this?

Ilmari/Tim :stuck_out_tongue:
I love the concepts, and I agree that more fleshing out would be good, but what you’ve got for background is a solid start.
Ways of the Winterland: I’m on the fence on this one. Some compromise may be required – perhaps a more specific definition of “winterland”. Any place with snow on the ground? That seems a little broad.

Focus: Cold alone is minor. Cold, snow and ice is major.

Immunity: Cold is a major immunity.

Heat and Fire Restriction: I understand what you’re saying, but Mark is on the right track in that it’s weird to read. It may be that just giving it a different name will make it easier to parse, because it’s certainly not how Restrictions are normally framed - comparing it to Restriction is comparing apples to oranges. The closest thing I can think of is a wider reaching but less defined version of Incompatible Arts.

Deleterious Circumstances: They do stack (if you’re hot and near a fire), but I’m inclined to agree that they are too similar. I’ll wait for a more finished draft before I comment further on this one.

Very much so. That is why I took Compassionate, combined with Weakness for ladies. The Damsel in Distress is his thing :smiley: Easilly motivated.

I am experimenting with the Scool of Ramius, and one of the major drawbacks is that it lacks heavy damaging effects in their repitoire. But, for the most part, I don't need to worry about Penetration. I have two spells that deliver large damage, CrIg20 Wrath of Reculed and CrAu20 Fist of Jupiter, but the penetration is low. However, my Magic Resistance is high, so if I use my wits I can hold my own. I took specific limitations in order to give myself an interesting and unique challenge. The bar is set high for Flambeau magi, compared to the many I have seen. Lets see if this guy can keep up with the likes of Roberto, Xalbador, Carmen and others.

A dusting of snow would not be a "wintery" environment, in my mind. I'm talking about the terrain being "snowy", as in drifts, or bare ice.

When you hear the song "Walking thru a Winter Wonderland" - it's what should come to mind.

The problem is that if he cannot manipulate "heat", he cannot protect himself from Cold - there is no Hermetic way around it.

I'd love to solve the Immunity to Cold with magic - a Flambeau could do the equiv with Ignem without blinking, but I can't see a way that Hermetic magic allows him to do that, and +3 is a huge price for what is, for a mage, a very small advantage.

The Restriction is not with targets as in "victims", it's in the spell effect, restricting the Form target. But it's a major flaw, so define it as you feel approp.

There is a minor personality flaw in the Realms of Power: Magic book called Warped Senses, and one of the options is Sensitive to Heat. With all the cold based ideas, I wondered if you would be interested in this instead of the Deleterious: Hot Environment.

You function normally at temperatures considerable below the norm for your part of the world. You lose 1 Fatigue level for every hour you spend in an environment two steps or more above your habituated conditions on the Environmental Temp. chart. Your response to ice is reduced in intensity to 0.

Environmental Temp. Chart:

• Unnaturally Hot
  • As hot as being next to a raging fire, molten lava, or molten iron
  • Tropical mid-day
  • As warm as a fine summer's day in southern Europe
  • Comforable for a normal inhabitant of the Normandy, Rhine, Stonehenge, and Hibernia Tribunals
  • As cold as a chilly winter's day in Western Europe
  • Arctic winter
  • Unnaturally Cold

If you took way of the Forest it would work on Forest in Germany as well as Forest in North Carolina ( if they got there). That is a lot of ground. someone could argue that Jungle is just a forest where it is hot. Even more ground.

I understand what he is aiming for and I do not mind. He is an expert in areas of snow and ice. Which could be Mountains or tundra or a forest in the winter. i have no problem with it...If I am correct in my assumption.

That's how I see it, J.

Without going into a discussion of the several score recognized and distinct ecozones in the world, deep snow is at least as distinct as "forest" or "mountains".

A "Personality" flaw??? :confused:

I'm not sure I want to create Mr. Freeze. Fatigue is precious to a magus, and this one would suck it up bad enough in warm environs.

If you are cool with it, then so am I. No probs :wink:

I don't feel Immunity to Cold is equal to Immunity to Fire.

I can come up with lots of ways a mundane can use fire to hurt a magus. I can't think of a way a mundane could reasonalby use cold to hurt someone. Hitting someone with mundane ice doens't cause cold damage. The only way a mundane could hurt someone with cold was if they were able to trap someone in a cold environment for an extended period of time.

For magi, it's not common to use cold spells for damage because they are more difficult to cast than fire. Cold is one level more difficult in damage, and that is a lot when you have to worry about penetration.

Personally, I don't believe cold is common enough to warrent a major virtue.

That is what the book says.

Could you work around it with a spell though? Then you would just have to worry about loosing your spell and not being able to recast.

I like Ways of the Winterland - especially considering that, where we're going, it's less useful than Ways of the Mountains (the snow line is a good couple of thousand feet above us for more than half the year, from my memories of Switzerland). I do think Cold is a major immunity. If it was to a specific sort of cold (exposure, cold water, etc) it wouldn't be so big a deal, but the blanket immunity rules out both swimming in a glacial stream in January and being zapped by a creative Flambeau. Cold is, if anything, more deadly - and infinitely more ubiquitous - than fire, despite the fact that (for whatever reason) it's not as heavily used in the RAW.

Regardless, we're shaping up to be a powerhouse of a covenant. I pity the fool that tries to invade our little valley, or even the quaestor that tries to make us sorry about what we do to him.

Yeah, Ways of the Winterland is A-OK. I was leaning that direction anyway. I'm fine with the two Deleterious Circumstances as well, so long as everyone else is.

You can still use ReIg to whip up a Ward Against Cold and Frost, or similar.

Cold is both common and deadly. That deadliness can be mitigated by magic, yes, but the text of Greater Immunity is pretty clear. The commonness, well, that's saga dependent, but in this one it would have come up occasionally. If you take it it'll come up more frequently. If you do choose to take it, I promise not to shelve it. It will come up often enough to shine.

I want you to have what you want, but if your heart is set on being immune to cold, that's a big enough thing that you have to make hard choices about how badly and how broadly you want it. There are also several ways to get it, including through vanilla Hermetic magic.

The usefulness depends on where you are and what circumstance you’re in. I would point out that it makes you immune to PeIg damage and fatigue drain (which is more efficient than PeCo fatigue drain), plus it allows you to do badass things like walk naked into a blizzard, swim under the ice in a frozen lake, and the like. A few ReIg spells can do the same, but then, a prepared Hermetic magus can duplicate the effects of most any Immunity.

On Hound's Magi

-No problems with 2 Del. Circumstances. vs. 1 Restiction. He's getting less points for the flaws this way. If that works for him, go for it.
-Ways of the Winterland. What about calling it "Ways of the Tundra" and defining Tundra for our purposes as any enviroment where cold and ice are the predominant factors? He only gets the bonus from the Virtue during the appropriate seasons or in select portions of the area. It makes sense with his character concept in any case. Just plese drop the "Winterland" part of the name. I keep expecting you to break out into that song..

Good concept. Look forward to seeing him in play.

Marko

I wouldn't want it any other way.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I think I found a way to make him less homicidal while still being crazy, manical, etc. It's still kinda creepy, but this should explain why he killed his Parens, which I think was causing most of the concern. He wouldn't have need to kill anyone else, as Oedipus only killed one person in the myth. Make sense?

Apple
Characteristics: Int +2 (Keen Mind), Per +4 (Good Listener), Pre +1 (Pleasant), Com +1 (Kind Tone),
Str 0, Sta 0, Dex -1 (Hands Twitchy), Qik 0
Size: 0

Virtues and Flaws: The Gift/0, Death Prophecy/3, Hermetic Magus/0, Improved Characteristics/2, Self-Confident (Confidence: +1)/0,
Mythic Blood/3, Minor Magical Focus (Voices)/0 free from Mythic Blood, Great Perception/1, Puissant Charm/1

Blackmail/-1, Optimistic Major/-3, Carefree/-1, Restriction (Can not affect Mothers)/-3, Weak Parens/-1, Weakness (Riddles)/0 from
Mythic Blood

Combat:
Dodge: Init: +0, Attack --, Defense +2, Damage --
Fist: Init: +0, Attack +1, Defense +2, Damage +0
Kick: Init: -1, Attack +1, Defense +1, Damage +3
Soak: 0
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-5), -3 (6-10), -5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20)

Abilities: Greek 5, Parma Magica 2, Magic Theory 3, Latin 3, Italian 3, Charm 2 (Servants), Brawl 2 (Daggers), Awareness 2 (How things are said),
Folk Ken 2 (Peasants), Intrigue 2 (Spotting Schemes), Artes Liberales 2 (Rhetoric), Finesse 1 (Precision), Penetration 1 (Mentem),
Concentration 1 (While Listening)

Arts: Cr 4, In 5, Mu 3, Pe 4, Re 5, An 1, Aq 1, Au 1, Co 5, He 2, Ig 1, Im 10, Me 5, Te 1, Vi 3

Spells
Words of the Unbroken Silence (CrMe 10) +13
Trust of Childlike Faith (PeMe 10) +9
Perceive Motives (InMe 10) +10
The Call to Slumber (ReMe 10) +10
Aura of Ennobled Presence (MuIm 10) +13
Wizard's Sidestep (ReIm 10) +15
Disguise of the Transformed Image (MuIm 15) +13
Prying Eyes (InIm 5) +15
Notes of a Delightful Sound (MuIm 10) +13
The Ear for Distant Voices (InIm 20) +20
Bitter Taste of Betrayal (InVi 15) +8
Eyes of the Cat (MuCo(An) 5) +4
Gift of the Frog's Legs (ReCo 15) +10

Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (0)
Confidence: 2 (5)

Equipment: Good clothes, boots, a dagger
Encumbrance: 0 (0)

Sigil: Clarity

Mythic Blood Magical Effect: "Trust Me" PeMe 15 R Eye Dur Conc Targ Indv. Effect suppresses or alleviates doubt the target might have about Apple while Apple is looking at him. It does not instill trust or make the target take leave of his or her common sense.

Background
Not much is truly known of Apple's childhood. His Parens showed up at his home Covenant one day with Apple in tow. His Master hinted that the boy was from a special lineage, but as his Master was a well known liar, people quickly went back to what they were doing.

The boy was popular with the mundanes. Always smiling, always cheerful. And he was always such a good listener. He was a charmer who never seemed to get into any trouble. One of the more astute magi said, "He could charm the serpent into taking a bite of the apple." It stuck and he was nick named Apple.

When he was 10, his Master made him read the story of Oedipus. After putting away the book, his Master explained that Apple was a descendant of Oedipus. His Parens had stolen the boy from the pagan temple where he was being brought up and that it was foretold that the boy would not die until he became blind after learning the truth too late. Apple considered that and then looked up at his Master. "Does that mean you are my father?"

It took five more years for Apple to kill his Master. Wasn’t that what Oedipus was supposed to do? Apple engineered a confrontation between his Master and a powerful Spirit. The confrontation became violent, and Apple dragged his Master’s corpse back to the Covenant, whistling a marching tune all the while.

House Tytalus recognized him as a Magi and then the Covenant told him to leave. Before he left, he helped himself to his Master's letters and papers. Of particular interest was a set of letters in code. The code was tough. He finally figured out the cipher after four years of research. The letters were between his Master and someone named "P". Apparently "P" was a member of a Covenant named White Lady, and "P" was an agent of his Master's. "P"s job was to feed information to a magi named "J" regarding information about a magi named "C", and vice versa, as a way of fostering a feud between the two magi. "P" apparently was being generously rewarded by both sides for his information.

Apple wrote to the head of White Lady, a housemate named Jacopo, and received a letter back. Once again his wise Parens had given him another Sphinx to out riddle. Apple would prove he was up to the challenge.

Personality

Apple is a genuinely happy person because he knows what he is: a doomed, deluded soul who will die in bitter, terrible circumstances that could easily be avoided. Now that he doesn't have to worry about that anymore, he can concentrate on the important things in life. For Apple, air and food come after Riddles and Puzzles.

In regards to Nonna's abilities, thank you for the list (it's exactly what I wanted) and I've been giving it some thought. I've decided I'll go with the following, if that's ok:

In addition, I'll make it add her sigil to whatever she uses it on, or make her existing sigil (if its one of her spells) blatant, and chalk it up to "integration problems with hedge tradition -> hermetic theory".

That sound good? It keeps the flavor right where I want it, while neutering the scary scary potential.

Also, for a rename, I've been considering "magic in the bones" - have it be something that happens from time to time among people who live too long in the shadow of the Alps. Any other name ideas?

Duty is going to be a theme with this character.

He feels dutybound to his house and traditions but has finally realized that he is producing kids and has met very few of them and is a part of none of their lives. This touches the fact that he has not had a relationship with any women beyond sexual. What if he found someone he likes/loves. It may bring him into conflict with the House.

There is a duty to help the Redcaps. He will make little tethered spells for them and longevity potions.

Personal goals will be small at first. I see him taking one of his gifted children as an apprentice soon. Within 5-10 years. More will bounce into my head as I play him.

right now, adventure Hooks for him would be things tied to the Redcaps. A Redcap is killed or wounded and he would be asked to help. A Redcap needs a champion for some reason. He is a hot commodity for the Redcaps so there might be pulls to have him move or help other Mercere houses in other areas. The Covenant hook of a Hermes Portal allows us to potentially travel to any linked Tribunal. I will say the Portal will have a password/lock to prevent anyone not from Mercere House to access it.

==============
Here is the current working draft. I have to do 2 more years of advancement. One as a Redcap.

a Note on his spells. All of his spells have mastery level of 1. Those that have two abilities are his free "tamed" spells from the Tamed Magic virtue.

Korvin

Characteristics:
Int +3, Per 0, Pre 0, Com +2, Str 0, Sta +1, Dex 0, Qik 0

Size:

Age: 25 (20), Height: 5'6'', Weight: 150 lbs, Gender: Male
[b]

Reputations: Helpful ( within Mercere house)
Decrepitude:[/b] 0

Warping Score:
0 (0)

Confidence: 1 (3)

Virtues and Flaws: The Gift, Improved Characteristics, Good Teacher, Tamed Magic, Mutantum Magic, Mastered Spells, Puissant Muto, Arcane Lore , Inventive Genius (Invent Lab Totals: +3), Hermetic Magus, Puissant Creo, Pagan, Lecherous, [color=red]Hermetic Patron, Necessary Condition (Casting tools), Proud, Dutybound

[color=red]*may change
Combat:

Dodge: Init: +0, Attack , Defense +1, Damage

Fist: Init: +0, Attack +1, Defense +1, Damage +0

Kick: Init: 1, Attack +1, Defense +0, Damage +3

Soak: +1

Fatigue levels: OK, 0, 1, 3, 5, Unconscious

Wound Penalties: 1 (1 5), 3 (6 10), 5 (11 15), Incapacitated (16 20)

Abilities: Italian 5, Magic Theory 3, Parma Magica 2, Code of Hermes 1, Penetration 2, Animal Handling 1, Bargain 2, Carouse 2, Concentration 1 (lab work), Folk Ken 2 (the opposite sex), Guile 1 (fast talk), Intrigue 1 (plotting), Chirurgy 1 (diagnosis), Teaching 2, Survival 2, Latin 4, Artes Liberales 1 (ritual magic), Philosophiae 1 (ceremonial magic), Medicine 2 (physician), Finesse 1 (precision), Single Weapon 2 (Sword, Short & Heater), Brawl 1, Northern Alps Lore 1 (geography), Magic Lore 0

Arts:
Cr 9+3, In 3, Mu 9+3, Pe 3, Re 6, An 6, Aq 1, Au 1, Co 10, He 1, Ig 2, Im 1, Me 2, Te 2, Vi 2

Equipment:

Encumbrance: 0 (0)

Spells Known:

[i]The Chirurgeon's Healing Touch (CrCo 20) +27, Mastery 1 (tethered casting, Ceremonial casting )

Gift of the Bear's Fortitude (MuCo 25) +24, Mastery 1 (stalwart casting, tethered casting)

Physician's Eye (InCo 5) +15, Mastery 1 (lab mastery,tethered casting)

By His Works (CrMe 5) +16, Mastery 1 (lab mastery,tethered casting)

Palm of Flame (CrIg 5) +16, Mastery 1 (harnessed casting,tethered casting)

The Tireless Flight (ReCo 20) +18, Mastery 1 (Lab Mastery)

Heat of the Searing Forge (CrIg 10) +16, Mastery 1 (tethered casting)

Ward Against Faeries of the Mountain (ReTe 5) +10, Mastery 1 (lab mastery)

Circle of Beast Warding (ReAn 20) +14, Mastery 1 (tethered casting)

Eyes of the Cat (MuCo(An) 5) +20, Mastery 1 (tethered casting)[/i]

Born in Harco, Korvin's gift was discovered early much to the excitement of his parents and others in the house. He was raised on tales of the founder and the duty to the house. His talent with Muntantes magic plus a knack for Creo had many in the house talking about the bloodline of the founder was very string in him. Not long after puberty, he found that there were other expectations for someone with a strong gift in the House. Over the years he has sired 16 children ( that he knows of). Three of which have turned out to be gifted. This has only increased the amount of attention he gets.

After his Gauntlet, he spend 6 years at Harco refining his Arts. The seventh year, the year he would spend as a Redcap, was an eye opener for Korvin. He had been sheltered at Harco. always the golden boy. During his apprenticeship, he was not given many duties as a Redcap. Mostly he and his master would visit major Mercere houses and would do much of their traveling via portals. This time he was given a group of covenants in the Greater Alps Tribunal and was able to travel. Most of the time he was accompanying by a senior Redcap to teach him various routes and skills he would need to survive but it was a thrill to be able to talk to other folk and see how they lived. And more interestingly for him, he got to meet several of the children that he had fathered.

When he returned to Haco, Korvin decided to move to a new covenant. There was much discussion within the House about where he should go. Korvin vetoed suggestions to put him in Primus Covenants or others were on major trade routes. He choose the Greater Alps Tribunal and the senior Redcap, a woman named Alcyone, said she would set him up at the White Lady. So a deal was done with Jacopo ex Tytalus and a satellite Redhat house was set up at the Covenant with a portal in place to Harco.

Okay, I decided to make a major overhall to Jonathan. It may not look that major, but I completely rebuilt him from scratch; dropping Skilled Parens and taking Adapt Lab Student, and dropping Difficult Spont magic and taking Creative Block. Then I advanced the revised version eight years. The end result is fewer xps and lower Art scores, but just as many spells as before. Concerning my spells that are not from any published sourcebook; I took most of them as part of my apprenticeship, except two that came from Sub Rosa. Those I spent time to copy, figuring they were not already in our library. I also used two of the new Mastery Abilities from that Sub Rosa article. Descriptions of the new spells and masteries are given below.

Jonathan of Flambeau: John Brian of Yorkshire; at gauntlet
Characteristics: Int +1, Per +0, Com +1, Pre +2, Str +1, Sta +2, Dex +0, Quik +1
Warping: 0 (0)
Virtues: +0 Gifted Hermetic Magus, +F Warrior (School of Ramius), +3 Gentle Gift, +1 Apt Lab Student, +1 Fast Caster, +1 Improved Characteristics, +1 Self Confident, +1 Puissant Parma Magica, +1 Puissant Single Weapon, +1 Venus’ Blessing
Flaws: -3 Compassionate, -3 Short Ranged Magic, -1 Creative Block, -1 Dutybound, -1 Mentor, -1 Weakness (ladies)
Personality Traits: Compassionate +3, Loyal +3, Brave +2, Dutiful +2
Reputations:
Abilities: Artes Liberales 1 (literacy), Athletics 2 (climbing), Awareness 2 (alert), Brawl 4 (grappling), Carouse 2 (socialize), Charm 3 (flirt wit da girlies), Concentration 2 (spells), Etiquette 1 (magi), Finesse 1 (speed), Folk Ken 2 (men folk), Guile 2 (being smarmy), Intrigue 1 (alliances), Latin 4 (Hermetic), Leadership 1 (combat), Magic Theory 3 (spells), Order of Hermes Lore 1 (Flambeau), Parma Magica 1+2 (Mentem), Stealth 2 (sneak), Single Weapon 5+2 (longsword), Survival 1 (mountains), York Area Lore 2 (hometown)
Arts: Cr 5, In 4, Mu 4, Pe 2, Re 4, An 4, Aq 1, Au 2, Co 4, He 4, Ig 5, Im 1, Me 1, Te 5, Vi 1
Spells Known:
ReAu15 Endurance against Thunder & Lightning:
ReCo15 Endurance of the Berserkers
ReCo15 Wizard’s Leap: Mastered 1 (Fast Cast)
InHe15 Shriek of the Impending Shafts:
ReIg15 Endurance against Heat & Flames:
ReIg15 Endurance against Cold & Frost
InTe15 Howl of the Steel Weapons:
ReTe15 Endurance against Steel and Stone:

Jonathan of Flambeau: John Brian of Yorkshire; after 8 years
Characteristics: Int +1, Per +0, Com +1, Pre +2, Str +1, Sta +2, Dex +0, Quik +1
Age: 39, appears 36 (apprenticed age 16, gauntlet age 31, current age 38)
Longevity: CrCo30r since age 35 (given to me by mentor)
Warping: 0 (4 – 4 from Longevity)
Virtues: +0 Gifted Hermetic Magus, +F Warrior (School of Ramius), +3 Gentle Gift, +1 Apt Lab Student, +1 Fast Caster, +1 Improved Characteristics, +1 Self Confident, +1 Puissant Parma Magica, +1 Puissant Single Weapon, +1 Venus’ Blessing
Flaws: -3 Compassionate, -3 Short Ranged Magic, -1 Creative Block, -1 Dutybound, -1 Mentor, -1 Weakness (ladies)
Personality Traits: Compassionate +3, Brave +3, Loyal +2, Responsible +2
Reputations: Desirable 2 (local single ladies), Heroic 1 (local), House Flambeau Acclaim 2 (17xps)
Combat:
Dodge: Init +1, Atk n/a, Def +5/+14, Dmg n/a
Grapple: Init +1, Atk +5, Def +6, Dmg +1
Fistfight: Init +1, Atk +4, Def +5, Dmg +1
Longsword: Init +3, Atk +12, Def +10/+19, Dmg +7
Soak: +4/+15 (base +2, +2 for studded leather hauberk, +3 for DoIS, +5 for his various Endurance spells, +3 for GotBF)
Fatigue: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, ko
Wounds: -1 Lt (1-5), -3 Med (6-10), -5 Hvy (11-15), Incap (16-20), Dead (21+)
Twilight Scars & Effects: none yet
Magic Sigil: cleanliness
Symbolic Sigil: a Hermetic Coat of Arms, bearing the symbol of House Flambeau and other symbols of importance
Equipment: longsword, studded leather hauberk, knife
Encumbrance: 1 (Burden 3, Load 2, Str +1)
Abilities: Artes Liberales 1 (literacy), Athletics 2 (climbing), Awareness 2 (alert), Brawl 4 (grappling), Carouse 2 (socialize), Charm 3 (flirt wit da girlies), Code of Hermes 1 (Alpine customs), Concentration 2 (spells), Etiquette 1 (magi), Finesse 3 (speed), Folk Ken 2 (men folk), Guile 2 (being smarmy), Intrigue 1 (alliances), Latin 4 (Hermetic), Leadership 2 (combat), Magic Theory 4 (14) (spells), Order of Hermes Lore 1 (Flambeau), Parma Magica 3+2 (Mentem), Penetration 1 (Creo), Stealth 2 (sneak), Single Weapon 5+2 (longsword), Strategy 1 (magical tactics), Survival 1 (mountains), York Area Lore 2 (hometown), This Area Lore 1 (covenant)
Arts: Cr 5, In 4, Mu 5, Pe 4, Re 5, An 4, Aq 2, Au 5, Co 5, He 4, Ig 5, Im 2, Me 2, Te 5, Vi 3
Spells Known:
MuAn15 Doublet of Impenetrable Silk:
CrAu5 Air’s Ghostly Form: CT +12
CrAu20 Fist of Jupiter: CT +13, Mastered 1 (Vacillated Casting)
ReAu15 Endurance against Thunder & Lightning: CT +12
ReCo15 Endurance of the Berserkers: CT +14, Mastered 2 (Imperturbable, Fast Cast)
ReCo15 Wizard’s Leap: CT +14, Mastered 2 (Fast Cast, Stalwart)
InHe15 Shriek of the Impending Shafts: CT +10
CrIg10 Lamp Without Flame: CT +12
CrIg15 Blade of Virulent Flame: CT +12
CrIg20 Wrath of Reculed: CT +13, Mastered 1 (Amplify)
ReIg15 Endurance against Heat & Flames: CT +12
ReIg15 Endurance against Cold & Frost: CT +12
InTe15 Howl of the Steel Weapons: CT +11
ReTe5 Unseen Arm: CT +12
ReTe10 Invisible Sling of Vilano: CT +13, Mastered 1 (Fast Cast)
ReTe10 Wield the Invisible Sling: CT +12
ReTe15 Endurance against Steel and Stone: CT +12

Background: John Brian was a popular youth back home in England. He had many girlfriends and could beat all his friends at wrestling. Because of the Gentle nature of his Gift, he wasn’t discovered until late in life. His master found him to be perfectly suited for the style of his school of fighting (Ramius), and taught him to be an exceptional fighter. After his gauntlet, his parens recommended him to (???) of Flambeau, who became his mentor and found a place for him at (this covenant)
Jonathan loves the ladies, and they love him to. In addition to that, he is the compassionate sort that cannot bear to allow suffering of innocents or for wrongdoing to go unpunished. His greatest weakness is the fair damsel in distress, which is an encounter he has had more than once :p. Heroism is most often its own reward, and sometimes the experience is even more rewarding. It has gotten him into trouble a few times, and once it was a trap, but it is usually rewarding and well worth the risks.

Development: 8 Years
5 years bulk development; 150xps (30x5)
2 Years Seasonal Development (8 seasons)
1 – Adventure on behalf of Mentor, and in exchange I receive a Longevity Potion (CrCo30r, minimum level to make a potion for another), plus the right to copy some of his Lab Texts that are not in our covenant’s library yet (i.e. including the two spells that are published in a fanzine and not in a regular book).
2 – Copy Lab Texts (120 Levels; Scribe 1 specialized in Copying; 2xps Exposure in Magic Theory)
3 – Invent Spell from Lab Text: MuCo25 Gift of Bear’s Fortitude (Lab Total 25, 2xps Exposure in Magic Theory)
4 – Invent two Spells from Lab Text: CrIg15 Blade of Virulent Flame & CrIg10 Lamp Without Flame (Lab Total 25, 2xps Exposure in Magic Theory)
5 – Invent Spell from Lab Text: CrIg20 Wrath of Reculed (Lab Total 25, 2xps Exposure in Magic Theory)
6 – Invent Spell from Lab Text: MuAn15 Doublet of Impenetrable Silk (Lab Total 24, 2xps Exposure in Magic Theory)
7 – Invent two Spells from Lab Text: CrAu5 Air’s Ghostly Form & CrAu20 Fist of Jupiter (Lab Total 25, 2xps Exposure in Magic Theory)
8 – Invent three Spells from Lab Text: ReTe10 Invisible Sling of Vilano, ReTe10 Wield the Invisible Sling, & ReTe5 Unseen Arm (Lab Total 25, 2xps Exposure in Magic Theory)
One last year Bulk Experience – 30xps

Copied Lab Texts
CrAu20 Fist of Jupiter:
MuAn15 Doublet of Impenetrable Silk:
ReTe10 Invisible Sling of Vilano:
ReTe5 Unseen Arm:
MuCo25 Gift of Bear’s Fortitude:
CrIg20 Wrath of Reculed:
CrIg15 Blade of Virulent Flame:
CrIg10 Lamp Without Flame:
(CrAu5 Air’s Ghostly Form & ReTe10 Wield the Invisible Sling
came from the covenant’s library)

Description of New Spells
ReIg15 Endurance against Heat & Flames:
R: Touch, D: Sun, T: Ind
A low level ward that grants a +5 bonus to Soak against heat & fire related damage. There are similar Endurance spells granting similar Soak bonuses to other Forms. They are all the same level, and Jonathan knows variations that grant him a Soak bonus against Cold & Frost (ReTe), Thunder & Lightning (ReAu), and Steel & Stone (ReTe).
(Base 4, +1 Touch, +2 Sun)

CrAu20 Fist of Jupiter
R: Touch, D: Mom, T: Ind
You discharge a thunderbolt upon whatever you strike with your touch, inflicting +15 damage. Those hit by the thunderbolt must make a Strength stress roll of 12+ to remain standing. This spell fits well with the Vacillated Casting Special Mastery Ability.
(Base 3, +4 unnatural, +1 Touch)

CrIg20 Wrath of Reculed
R: Touch, D: Mom, T: Ind, Req: Rego
This spell creates a jet of flame that emanates from your hands, three feet wide and shooting out up to twenty paces in the direction you choose. Anything caught in the path of this flame suffers +15 damage (-1 per pace of distance). Aiming is usually easy for this spell (+1 on Targeting rolls), but going against strong winds can be difficult (-1 or more). A jet is a natural form of fire that can be found various places in the Middle East.
(Base 10, +1 Touch, +1 Requisite)

Description of New Mastery Abilities
VACILLATED CASTING
When casting the Mastered spell, you may choose to delay the effect, and even decline it. You first roll to cast the spell, and if successful, you exercise the option to hold it by concentrating. When choosing to release it, use your regular Initiative score. When your concentration relaxes (or fails), you may choose to release the spell or let it dissipate (unless you botched your Concentration roll). No words or gestures are required to release or decline a spell.
This cannot be employed with Ritual spells except by Mercurian Magi, and instead of holding the spell with concentration, they employ a focus object. The Ritual can be held until the next sunrise or sunset, and can be declined as normal.

AMPLIFY
Similar to Boost, this Mastery is at once more versatile and more limited. You may use vis (of the appropriate Art(s)) to amplify the power of the mastered spell. Each pawn spent adds one magnitude to the Range, Duration, Target, and/or Damage of the spell. A Magnitude of increased damage usually equals and additional +5 points for direct damage spells, +2 for indirect effects, and for many Perdo effects an increase in wound severity. You may not Amplify a spell to Duration-Year or Target Boundary, unless the spell is already a Ritual. The limitation is that the maximum number of pawns you may use to Amplify a spell equals your Mastery score.

Question - Can a mage cast other spells while holding one?

Not a fan of this one. It is a virtue to take Boosted spells/ability