Character Creation Discussions (OOC)

If you don't mind hitting pause on this for a moment? I was playing around with a criminal fixer type character as a potential companion for V. Haven't had too much time to hash things out just yet, but once I lock down Belisarius a bit more in the next week or so, I promise I'll reach out and we can chat more.

Seems really interesting to me mate, excited to see whatcha come up with!

1 Like

Seems really interesting to me mate, excited to see whatcha come up with!

Thats great! Ty Nithyn! :smiley:

Sure, I'll just go ahead and repurpose him as more of an outright enforcer/thug/killer type.

I would say go ahead and put together your virtues/flaws and we can discuss them/the concept in more detail at that point as it comes together.

Yup, already noodling on things a bit, don't you worry!

As an aside, I wanted to just put something on folk's radar I'm going to have Belisarius join the Cult of Heroes at some point post-Gauntlet but before play. Obviously no initiations yet, but sometime in the future, he will likely be investing fairly heavily in some stat boosting rituals. Doubtful that I'll have the vis to do anything before play, but I just wanted to put it on folk's radar is all.

Benetto

V: Faerie Blood: Goblin (1), Puissant: Brawl (1), Puissant: Stealth (1)
F: Branded Criminal (1), Nocturnal (1), Raised in the Gutter (1)

A former professional criminal covenfolk retainer of Rellantali. Benetto thus is city-raised and spent time as criminal and enforcer for the clandestine activities of the Covenant, a role in which he served with Vorsutus more than once giving him a long history with the Magus.

Halfdan

V: Enchanting Music (1), Puissant: Charm (1), Wanderer (F), Warrior (1)
F: Careless: Awareness (1), Environmental Sensitivity: Extreme Heat (1), Overconfident (1)

A proud norse soldier and skald who wanted to join the varangian guard in Constantinople. Unfortunately he arrived in the city just in time for everything to fall apart. He doesn't therefore have a long history with Vorsutus instead being hired on initially to guard Thermakopolis by the Covenant. Yet he came to throw in his fate with the Magus over the course of the siege and sack of the city, the two having found some natural rapport.

1 Like

24 posts were merged into an existing topic: Character Creation for Gaxxian (OOC)

Benetto

Shield Grog to Vorsutus Ex Miscellanea

Virtues & Flaws

Virtues & Flaws

V: Faerie Blood: Goblin (1), Puissant: Brawl (1), Puissant: Stealth (1)
F: Branded Criminal (1), Nocturnal (1), Raised in the Gutter (1)

Personal Details

Personality Traits

Loyal: +3
Aggressive/Brave: +2
Cunning: +2
Hatred: Mundanes: +3

Characteristics

Characteristics:

Int: -1 (-1)
Per: +2 (3)

Pre: -3 (-6)
Com: -2 (-3)

Str: +1 (1)
Sta: +1 (1)

Dex: +3 (6)
Qik: +3 (6)

Background

Background

A former professional criminal covenfolk retainer of Rellantali. Benetto thus is city-raised and spent time as criminal and enforcer for the clandestine activities of the Covenant, a role in which he served with Vorsutus more than once giving him a long history with the Magus. Benetto was born greatly affected by his Goblin heritage and it is apparent to anyone who looks at him. He never had much of a chance at living a normal life and instead grew up raw on the streets of Venice before being recruited into the service of Rellantali. Perhaps this shared history and feeling regarding the Mundane World gives him a connection to the Blatant Gifted Magus Vorsutus that even the two of them do not know how to express in words.

Appearance

Appearance

Benetto is slender but deceptively athletic. His slight build containing both more strength than expected and being wielded with aggressive competence has surprised many would be opponents. Such hair as he has is patchy and thin and thus kept militaristically short. His eyes have slits, his teeth are sharp, and his voice is just slightly but noticeably unnatural. He keeps his nails carefully filed short lest they grow and begin to curve and sharpen. There is no mistaking him for anything other than goblin-touched. He dresses well, clean and practical for a man of his profession. Yet there is no trace of finery or upper class wear about him. Instead everything about his dress is purely functional, nondescript, and easily replaced.

Abilities

Abilities

Italian: (Spc: Veneto) 5 (75xp)(Native)
Latin: (Spc: Hermetic) 4 (50xp)

Athletics: (Spc: Climbing) 3 (30xp)
Awareness: (Spc: Darkness) 3 (30xp)
Bows: (Spc: Crossbow/Arbalest) 5 (75xp)
Brawl: (Spc: Knife/Dagger) 5 (75xp)(+2, Puissant)
Guile: (Spc: Lying To Authority) 1 (5xp)
Legerdemain: (Spc: Locks) 2 (15xp)
Single Weapon: (Spc: Heater Shield) 3 (30xp)
Stealth: (Spc: Urban) 5 (75xp)(+2, Puissant)(+1, Goblin Blood)
Thrown Weapon: (Spc: Knife) 1 (5xp)

Faerie Sympathy: Darkness: 3 (30xp)

Combat Stats

Combat Stats

Dodge: (Init: +3)(Atk: -)(Def: +10)(Dmg: 0)
Fist: (Init: +3)(Atk: +10)(Def: +10)(Dmg: +1)
Kick: (Init: +2)(Atk: +10)(Def: +9)(Dmg: +4)
Dagger: (Init: +3)(Atk: +13)(Def: +11)(Dmg: +4)
Knife, Thrown: (Init: +3)(Atk: +6)(Def: +5)(Dmg: +3)(Range: 5)
Sword, Short: (Init: +4)(Atk: +9)(Def: +7)(Dmg: +6)
Heater Shield: (Init: +3)(Atk: +6)(Def: +9)(Dmg: +1)
Crossbow: (Init: +8)(Atk: +14)(Def: +9)(Dmg: +8)(Range: 25)

Soak, Quilted: +2
Soak, Chain, Partial: +7

Fatigue Levels: (Fresh)(Winded)(Weary: -1)(Tired: -3)(Dazed: -5)(Unconscious)
Wound Penalties: L(-1/1-5), M(-2/6-10), H(-3/11-15), I(16-20)

Encumbrance, Light Gear: 0
Encumbrance, Light Gear + Bow: 1
Encumbrance, Heavy Gear: 2

Significant Equipment

Significant Equipment

(Chain, Heater Shield, & Crossbow are not always carried/worn.)

Sword, Short (Load 1)
Dagger (Multiple)
Knife, Throwing (Multiple)
Quilted Armor, Full (Load 1)

Crossbow (Load 2)
Chain Armor, Partial (Load 4)
Heater Shield (Load 2)

Advancement Log

Pending. (Hopefully!)

Halfdan

Shield Grog to Vorsutus Ex Miscellanea

Virtues & Flaws

Virtues & Flaws

V: Senior Bard (Skald)(1), Enchanting Music (1), Warrior (1)
F: Careless: Awareness (1), Environmental Sensitivity: Extreme Heat (1), Overconfident (1)

Characteristics

Characteristics:

Int: 0 (0)
Per: -2 (-3)

Pre: +2 (3)
Com: +2 (3)

Str: +1 (1)
Sta: +1 (1)

Dex: +1 (1)
Qik: +1 (1)

Personal Details

Personality Traits

Loyal: +2
Brave: +2
Artistic: +3

Background

Background

A proud norse soldier and skald who wanted to join the varangian guard in Constantinople. Originally from Denmark Halfdan set out to make his fortune in Byzantium. Unfortunately he arrived in the city just in time for everything to fall apart. He doesn't therefore have a long history with Vorsutus instead being hired on initially to guard Thermakopolis by the Covenant. Yet he came to throw in his fate with the Magus over the course of the siege and sack of the city, the two having found some natural rapport. Vorsutus took an interest in him after hearing him muttering in Norse and both were glad to have someone to speak to in their native tongue. After that they slowly bonded over the course of the siege of Constantinople.

Appearance

Appearance

Halfdan is blonde, big, and handsome. And his bearing says he knows it. He dresses well, well enough to attend Court somewhere as a non-noble. He projects the air of a confident and educated man of the world, even if perhaps slightly above his station. Almost ever present with him is his Lyre, and he is prone to entertaining himself and others during any lull in activity by employing it to great effect. He wears his hair and beard long in the norse style but always well kept and braided to be both hygienic and out of the way for any actual combat.

Abilities

Abilities

Norse: (Spc: Eastern) 5 (75xp)(Native)
Latin: (Spc: Hermetic) 3 (30xp)
Greek: (Spc: Romaic) 3 (30xp)

Enchanting Music: (Spc: Happiness/Joy) 5 (755xp)

Athletics: (Spc: Endurance) 2 (15xp)
Awareness: (Spc: Keeping Watch) 1 (5xp)
Brawl: (Spc: Punches) 2 (15xp)
Carouse: (Spc: Drinking Songs) 2 (15xp)
Charm: (Spc: Being Witty) 5 (75xp)
Etiquette: (Spc: Courtly) 2 (15xp)
Faerie Lore: (Spc: Tales) 2 (15xp)
Magic Lore: (Spc: Tales) 2 (15xp)
Music: (Spc: Norse Lyre) 5 (75xp)
Profession: Skald/Bard: (Spc: Poetry/Tales) 5 (75xp)
Single Weapon: (Spc: Axe) 5 (75xp)

Combat Stats

Combat Stats:

Dodge: (Init: +1)(Atk: -)(Dfn: +3)(Dam: 0)
Fist: (Init: +1)(Atk: +4)(Dfn: +4)(Dam: +1)
Kick: (Init: 0)(Atk: +3)(Dfn: +2)(Dam: +4)
Axe: (Init: +2)(Atk: +11)(Dfn: +7)(Dam: +7)
Dagger: (Init: +1)(Atk: +5)(Dfn: +3)(Dam: +4)
Heater Shield: (Init: +1)(Atk: +6)(Dfn: +9)(Dam: +1)

Soak, Base: +1
Soak, Chain, Partial: +7
Soak, Chain, Full: +10

Fatigue Levels: (Fresh)(Winded)(Weary: -1)(Tired: -3)(Dazed: -5)(Unconscious)
Wound Penalties: L(-1/1-5), M(-2/6-10), H(-3/11-15), I(16-20)

Encumbrance, Chain, Partial: 2
Encumbrance, Chain, Full: 2

Significant Gear

Significant Gear:

(Armor not normally worn outside of combat.)
(Partial Chain normally worn when "adventuring" unless combat immediately expected.)

Axe (Load 1)
Dagger
Heater Shield (Load 2)
Chain Armor, Partial (Load 4)
Chain Armor, Full (Load 6)
Norse Lyre

Advancement Log

Pending. (Hopefully!)

1 Like

Whoa. A lot of movement in the past days! XD

I am reworking Argus (a boy Regulus rescued from Constantinople) as a companion focused on infliltrating places and stealing arcane connectionsfor Vorsutus. They might complement each other. =]

Yes, I agree. I was just adding to the previous discussion of essential traits.

Bloodcap might also be fitting for a thug, if you want to emphasize strength instead of stealth.

Seems nice to me. =]
If trees are Major, Animating Plants seems like a fitting Minor. Animating Plant Matter covers a lot of Rego Herbam, so I'm not sure about that.

I think we have enough to move Alba's concept to a deticated topic, as soon as Arthur can create one for you. =]

That sounds quite promising really!

Have you given any further thought to a suitable Companion for Regulus?

Is anyone else interested in/have a desired concept for a Companion? I intend to build Thorsten as described, and then perhaps one more.

I haven't hought much about a companion for Regulus yet. Maybe I could get some input from the rest of the troupe.

Regulus current goal is to change the code to give more rights to apprentices. In order to do that, in his mind, he needs to build enough prestige (in other words, reputation) to have weight behind his motion, either by working as a quaesitor or as an advocate. I have a slight preference for an advocate, but both would work.

I'm not sure of what a companion suitable for an advocate looks like. I reckon these would be stories revolving around gathering evidence and witnesses to be presented in court and manouvering the political stances of magi to get votes and ensure acquital or conviction. A companion for a quaesitor should be easier.

So... thoughts?

Maybe an owl? :open_mouth:

Oh, if you are thinking about a familiar, his is going to be a lynx. =]

Oops xD Idk why when i read companion i though into a familiar xD My bad :stuck_out_tongue:

Moved a bunch of posts into Gaxxian's now Character Creation topic. Hopefully I didn't miss any, nor include something not related.

Should I do Companion character creation in the same character creation thread I used for my mage? Or somewhere else?

Other players did just that and created their familiars in their own character creation thread.
Example from Plot_Device: Character Creation for Plot_Device (OOC) - #138 by Plot_Device

1 Like

Re: Rego Craft Magic

What is the impact of increasing the Size of an Individual Target? Does this amplify the amount of worked material, with the size, applying an even amount of "work" to all the material covered by the increase in Size? Or is the same total amount of work distributed over the entire Size?

What about a Group Target?

A ReTe spell to move earth from here to there, if had a +1 size, would move 10 times more earth from here to there. The mass of earth will be moved neither slower nor closer because there is more earth now.

In other words, the guideline does what the guideline does, regardless of size. This should be valid for any kind of spell, Rego Craft or not.

Same is valid for group, but the specifics may differ depending on the exact effect of the spell.

I would tend to agree, I just didn't want to assume before I start designing things for Dolabrius and then have them not work as expected.

iirc +1 size its a x2, not a x10 (that would be a Group difference, not size)

But anyways, with Rego Craft i would say that with size you increase the max volume of the finished product, while with Group you can make more finished products at the same time (then you can mix both to increase either the number of products or the size of them).
Anything else (speed, difficulty, etc) would be the same regardless of those values.