Character Creation Discussions (OOC)

Maybe an owl? :open_mouth:

Oh, if you are thinking about a familiar, his is going to be a lynx. =]

Oops xD Idk why when i read companion i though into a familiar xD My bad :stuck_out_tongue:

Moved a bunch of posts into Gaxxian's now Character Creation topic. Hopefully I didn't miss any, nor include something not related.

Should I do Companion character creation in the same character creation thread I used for my mage? Or somewhere else?

Other players did just that and created their familiars in their own character creation thread.
Example from Plot_Device: Character Creation for Plot_Device (OOC) - #138 by Plot_Device

1 Like

Re: Rego Craft Magic

What is the impact of increasing the Size of an Individual Target? Does this amplify the amount of worked material, with the size, applying an even amount of "work" to all the material covered by the increase in Size? Or is the same total amount of work distributed over the entire Size?

What about a Group Target?

A ReTe spell to move earth from here to there, if had a +1 size, would move 10 times more earth from here to there. The mass of earth will be moved neither slower nor closer because there is more earth now.

In other words, the guideline does what the guideline does, regardless of size. This should be valid for any kind of spell, Rego Craft or not.

Same is valid for group, but the specifics may differ depending on the exact effect of the spell.

I would tend to agree, I just didn't want to assume before I start designing things for Dolabrius and then have them not work as expected.

iirc +1 size its a x2, not a x10 (that would be a Group difference, not size)

But anyways, with Rego Craft i would say that with size you increase the max volume of the finished product, while with Group you can make more finished products at the same time (then you can mix both to increase either the number of products or the size of them).
Anything else (speed, difficulty, etc) would be the same regardless of those values.

+1 mag for size increases volume by 10. Check the last item on the Targets and Sizes box in corebook, p.113.

However, it's common to simplify it by saying that the first magnitude doubles every dimension, the second multiplies by 2.5, and the third by 2 again (just to make the math easier).

So, a spell to create a cube of stone with 1 pace at side (base stone individual) creates a cube with 2x2x2 paces (8 cubic paces) with +1 mag (or, being pedantic, 2.15 paces). At +2 mag it would be a 5x5x5 cube, and at +3 mag a 10x10x10 cube (size increases by 3, volume increase of 1000).

Do not confuse size with Size. A regular human has Size 0. A large human will have Size +1. A horse could have Size +3.

The Size +1 human has roughly double the mass of a Size +0 human. For Sizes, every 3 points are a 10x increase (and the 2 - 2.5 - 2 rule of thumb I mentioned earlier applies, but for mass, instead of dimensions).

Examples trying to put all together:

The MuAn spell Beast of Outlandish Size changes the Size of an animal by +1. It has no extra mags for size, so it can affect at most a Size +1 creature (base Animal individual). The weigh of the animal would double. Its dimensions, however, would increase only by 1.25 (roughly) in every direction (because that's the cubic root of 2, the increase in volume).

A MuCo spell to turn a person into a giant with a +1 size magnitude can change the person into someone with 10 times as much mass/volume. This equals a +3 Size increase. And the height of the person would roughly double.

1 Like

Random aside, but what do folks think would be a fair Teaching + Com would be for a top shelf dedicated language tutor? A professional grammarian as it were. As I said, Belisarius is going to be spend at least two, likely three seasons in Durenmar or Cologne learning German, so I wanted to get a gut feeling for that from the troupe.

How would your character recognize a top shelf dedicated tutor? Number of xp gained is a game information, not something the characters can recognize and evaluate.

I'm tempted to say that the SQ of the tutor should be determined randomly. Or just use a reasonable number that a regular tutor would reasonably achieve. Com 2 + Teaching 5 seems reasonable to me. Com 5 + Teaching 8 + Good Teacher virtue does not.

When in Thebes I had Regulus learning from Nicodemus, a mundane teacher past his 50's with Com +2 and Teaching +9. Note that this character was a teacher at Polyaigos, a covenant with the sole mission of teaching young apprentices.

You could go for a +3 (or even a +5 Com) and Good Teacher, but what are the odds such a person is available and teaches the particular language you want to learn? And if this person exists, I recon the cost of hiring would be prohibitive.

For some context, both A&A and City & Guild assume you can become a master at your university/guild with a score around 5+ in the relevant ability, so this seems very fitting for a "standard" teacher with a life outside the academy.

Ty! Surely i was remembering the x2 rule :stuck_out_tongue:
It always confuses me that both sizes are not directly equivalent ^^!

1 Like

I was rewriting Argos (Regulus's servant) as a companion instead of a grog, thinking mainly on Vorsutus. But with Vorsutus leaving, does he still adds something to the covenant?

As a grog his concept is that of a thief. He would develop as a roguish character, stealing ACs when (if) we need and spying on people.
As a companion this remains essentially true, but with added supernatural virtues that make him a bit more efficient on finding items and recognizing their value. His story flaw ties into faerie, which could be explored in conjunction with Alba (in special) and occasionally Celeste.

How does it look like?

1 Like

The important question is -- do you want to play him as a companion? Is so, what kind of stories would you like him to be involved in?

2 Likes

To me sounds good and I'm ok with whatever you choose Rafael :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I sure think it would be interesting to play him... But it takes very little to amuse me. XD

He is suitable to get into certain kinds of stories with faeries. He's the boy who steals the goose of golden eggs and the magical harp... Which makes Alba (assuming he would be mainly her companion) the witch who sells the magic beans? XD

Besides faerie, he should be ok for stories where one needs a thief or a spy. Entering the church and stealing Father Luc's favorite spoon. Watching over Agnes von Werner while Clusius meets her husband (if someone wants to try and run something about the Telsberg). Or just sieving out the items we buy from Basel to make sure they are all standard quality and end up discovering that one of them is tainted by magic, prompting a story to discover what it is and were it came from (so, feel free to use him as a hook for stories). Or maybe they are shoddy items and we need to schedule a trip to the market, for a more mundane thing?

I'm not hoping for a lot of screentime with him. Instead, I see him as someone who would be nice to have around if ever needed. Otherwise, the trouble he causes (or solves) can stay in the background.

Since Alba has decided to cede the control of the conversation to Celeste, i will wait to Itzhak before i post in-game.

Meanwhile, i would like to recover a previous topic about our characters (by "our", i mean Celeste and Alba): Their lack of vis.

Since Alba lived 4'5 years since her Gauntlet, she should have 13 pawns of vis (3 x 4'5). Currently she has 4 pawns, so she lacks 9 pawns.
Celeste should have even more vis, since it's been 7 years since her Gauntlet and she has 3 pawns (she should have 21, so she lacks 18 pawns). I will let Itzhak decide the exact amount and nature of Celeste's rewards before she and Alba met, but here i make a proposal to improve our vis quantity since both magas walk together:

• Summer 1202 (Celeste & Alba) > +3 pawns of vis for each maga, found during their travels through the Bohemia wilderness
  • Spring 1203 (Alba) > +2 pawns of Herbam faerie tainted vis found by Alba at the nymphs campment after she found the cats in Irencillia forest and when she rescued the grogs of Irencillia
  • Autumn 1203 (Celeste & Alba) > +3 pawns of vis for Celeste and +2 pawns of vis for Alba when they fought and destroyed the ghosts in Irencillia (proposed forms, Mentem and Vim)
  • Autumn 1204 (Celeste & Alba) > +2 extra pawns of vis for both magas when they found the faerie oak (in Alba's case, the Ovum Anguinum of Virtue would be removed as reward)

That would mean +8 pawns for Celeste and +9 pawns for Alba. Celeste would still need 10 more to add in several spots into her past.

That would be ok with everybody? Do you have any ideas to alternative rewards?

1 Like