Character Creation Discussions (OOC)

Did you though thoroughly the idea of making a knowledgeable and charming womanizer as the companion of a young, unaware and gullible woman?

I only ask in case it was an oversight because it seems weird. Im not the type of player that cry if his character has struggles (of any type), so if thats the type of situations that you want to play, pay me no attention and go ahead.

I'm trying to make a companion that its more or less compatible with both Regulus and Celeste, while trying that doesn't have as many reasons to go with Alba on adventures.
So, the concept ends more or less being a druid-bard-fighter xD
It knows how to survive in the forest and communicate with animals (having a magical animal friend, a weak one but good enough to help in fights), while his relationship with mundanes is worse (the reason he live in the forests in first place, and also a good reason for him to find a place into the convenant too).
As a survivalist, he also knows how to fight (he is good, specially paired with his animal pal), so that covers a need for both magis (he is way better in fight than Lencor in that regard).
But then, he's also knows about music and enchanted music. But he isnt completely the typical bard in the sense that he would need some more train in treating with people... and in Latin too (Regulus coming from so far away is giving me some headaches, since the magus doesn't talk French nor German >_<). But he doesn't technically have nothing that stops him from being able to treat with magis (he is not good with mundanes, but he doesnt have issues with magis), so that part can be improved with time.
He is also a passionate person and has a great sense of duty and of justice, all while has some skills to me able to infiltrate, so he would offer to help in investigations while being useful.

All in all, it seems a companion useful enough to help both Celeste and Regulus (and maybe Clusius too? you didn't write any preference Arthur), but while it's also not so good as a dedicated one, that can change with a little of train and also make it more natural and less metagaming :stuck_out_tongue:
Idk, what do you think? I could remove the nature vibe and replace it with a more scholastic background (so he has better knowledges and starts with Latin), that would make him better for both Regulus and Celeste... but also for Alba ^^!

So, a DnD Ranger with a dip into Bard? =9
He seems nice.

Feel free to ignore Latin. Regulus' shield grog knows enough Latin to translate, and Regulus will eventually pick the necessary language skills (or invent a In(Cr)Me spell).

When you say he is bad with mundanes, is this just a lack of social skills? Or are you looking at the Magical Air flaw? If he is going to have Enchanting Music, I think Magical Air would be a bad deal.

For curiosity: which animal?

Well... yeah, in a way its totally that :slight_smile:

True! Great, that helps :slight_smile: Then French will be, so it can speak with both Simon and Celeste.

Both.

Damn. I forgot about that xD I will need to look a little more to it, but changing that flaw its not a big deal anyways.

A large boar. Boars are cool, imposing and stupidly resilient.

1 Like

@Red-Shadow-Claws i would like to know if this concept works with you, since i'm trying to make a companion that its compatible with both Regulus and Celeste.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Character Creation for Gaxxian (OOC)

I've given character development some thought, and the one that is really sticking is a reboot of a concept that I used for a pbp that fizzled out, and so I never had the chance to put it into play. The rebooted version is a member of House Jerbiton who practices the craft/art of bone carving. He's of Scandinavian descent, grew up in the Schleswig-Holstein region of Germany, and apprenticed at Oculus Septentrionalis. From his familial bloodline, he inherited a bone carving-analogue of Figurine Magic (HOH:TL, pg 33), which he could eventually try to integrate into Hermetic Magic. He also has a magical focus in human bone, for which I created some spell guidelines that we can review as we dig into the details, pending concept approval. Having a Gentle Gift, he will spend time after apprenticeship as an itinerant bone carver, trying to land a big commission with a major church figure. In doing so, he discovers a conspiracy to pass some animal bones off as the relics of a major saint, gets in over his head in trying to expose it, and either earns himself a powerful enemy or owes someone a big favor for bailing him out. Both of these options could explain his motives for relocating to Tugurium. For longer term goals, in addition to integrating Figurine Magic, he would seek out exotic bones to carve (for which he has a weakness), pursue rumors of ancient bone-related magic (to be designed), and do what he can to use his art and Arts to provide for the covenant. If there are any particular roles that need filling, I'm happy to include them in his goals.

Seems like an interesting, if a bit grim, character. =]

Bonus points if he chops his own arm, enchants the bones of his arm as his Talisman and then use a ritual to attach the arm back (this is one of my goals if I ever make a bone-focused necromancer. =9)

Personally I'm not fond of the overly detailed bone guidelines suggested on the link. Working with not-optimal forms he should end up with not-optimal spells (eg. a Bone Dart should have higher level than a Crystal Dart; this is intended IMO). The intended mMF on human bone would help to offset part of this, of course, and help to achieve more complex spells.

But I think some of those might be negotiated, while others would work better as [Tech]Te spells with a Corpus requisite (eg. the Intellego ones).

The concept is interesting and dark af xD You will easily become friends with Celeste xD

The Magic Focus in Human Bones, i think that its unnecesary to add "Human". I'd say that Bones in general would be enough, since its not something so extended anyway. But thats my opinion.

About the guidelines... i see that largely are just fancy versions of oficial guidelines... for example:

CrCo 2: Create a human bone

That would be:

CrCo 5: Create an entire human corpse + Target Part

If you want to create human bones in unnatural shapes, Mu or Re should be used as Requisites of that same spell.

The InCo custom guidelines would be just the regular InCo ones. Its unnecesary to make new ones just for bones.

If you want to make cloth from human parts, i'd say that the direct conversion from MuAn to MuCo would be ok.

While the PeCo guidelines are all just fluffy ways to obtain the same as the actual ones too:

PeCo 2: Destroy an extracorporeal human bone
PeCo 4: Destroy an extracorporeal human skeleton

Those both are just:

PeCo 5: Destroy a corpse

And:

PeCo 20: Destroy an intracorporeal human bone (destroy a limb)
PeCo 30: Destroy an intracorporeal human skeleton (kill a person)

Already exists:

PeCo 20: Destroy or sever a limb, so it cannot heal naturally
PeCo 30: Kill a person

So, in my opinion, those guidelines aren't necessary at all, and all your ideas can be recreated using existing guidelines. Only MuCo should be picked from MuAn.

Thank you both for the feedback. To be honest, I myself am not so sold on this character concept anymore :grimacing:. I'd like to come up with one that fits better for the saga. Looking through the Notes and Claims thread, there is a list of roles - Heir, Mundane Ambassador, etc. Should I aim to fill one of them with my magus? If so, which ones are most in need of filling? Are there any story ideas that are in need of a protagonist? Or, am I over thinking this?

I think you are overthinking. =9

If you want to fill in a role, feel free to do so, but I don't think it's mandatory.
For information, we currently lack a dedicated enchanter (not necessarily a Verditius, mind you). Also, none of the current magi has a martial bent, and we have no one explicitly geared towards mundane interaction (but we have people who can fill in this last one if needed).

Our cast current has Clusius, the heir to the old magus who founded Tugurium. He is a non-Gentle Jerbiton focused on MuAq and unnatural changes to water. Celeste is a Gentle gifted merinita focused on Mentem and with a mMF in ghosts. Alba is a faerie-blooded Merinita with a poor grasp of the mundane and geared towards ReHe, with a focus on animating wood. Regulus (my character) is a Guernicus quaesitor who wants to reform the Code, and whom I intend to lean to InTe and InVi, most likely.

With companions and grogs (most still undefined) I don't think we need to develop magi to specific roles, but that's my personal opinion. I think it's more fun if we can do the magi we want to and use companions and grogs to cover for any need the magi are not capable of. =]

Alba fills the gardener role :+1:

Now seriously, just do the magus/maga that you prefer to play. Use the roles as a base if you want, but they aren't mandatory to fullfill (i see them as an inspiration source if you really aren't sure about what to do).

So, don't worry so much and write whatever concept you have :slight_smile: We will think about stories later if its necessary :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hi everyone, here is take two for a magus concept. I've never played an Elementalist before, mostly because it didn't seem worth it when you only gained 1xp in the other element Forms when xp is earned in one. But now that errata make it half the source rounded up, I like it more. So that was the starting point. But I don't want to make things too easy for my magus, and let him become an elemental attack spell spammer. So I'm thinking to go with Short-Ranged Magic, because it's a flaw that would impose an interesting limitation. One last major component of his Gift is a minor magical focus in self transformation, since personal MuCo(Element) spells fit well with the theme of short-ranged Elementalist. Personality-wise, my thought is to go with a severely compassionate Seeker. I want to get him out of the lab, exploring the surroundings of the covenant and beyond in an environment-friendly manner, and serving as the covenant's protector (he could go merciful-martial). I haven't picked a House yet. Maybe Bonisagus, maybe Mercere? Don't see many compassionate Flambeaus around. Any suggestions or anticipated issues with this concept?

Could be interesting. How about a Bjornaer? He could make use of his self-transformation to give his hearthform elemental properties.

I like the idea. =]
Keep in mind that transforming into elements are fairly high level spells, even with an applicable focus.

House Bjornaer seems a very good option. I can also see the concept working well with ExMisc, Tytalus, Tremere, Criamon... Most houses, except perhaps for Verditius and Jerbiton.

Sorry, I went AWOL a few days :stuck_out_tongue:

Reading the concept seems cool to me. Its original and different :slight_smile: Im curious to see the spells that will create :smiley:

About the house, unless my companions, i dont see it Bjornaer at all :sweat_smile: The House Bjornaer are usually very reticent to use Muto into themselves a lot, and usually they would frown upon somebody that apparently tries to "modify" his/her "true shapes" in a very extreme and/or habitual way.
The long list of rules that Bjornaer must follow its what it makes lose a lot of appeal to me, since it leaves out a lot of concepts out if you dont want to have problems with your own house.

To me, good houses would be ExMisc (ofc, that one serves for any purpose) and Bonisagus (developing new things is their work, and your magus/maga would work great to make original spells and concepts).
Also, Verditius would also make a good use of a lot of your abilities (being able to make transformation rings and other items like that seems very good... a ring of transforming itself into wind, or water, or whatever... thats cool. And also they are good with the Martial side if you want to create improved swords/shields/whatever).

About Elementalist, in general, i'd say that the biggest advantage of Elementalist its being able of mixing elements and picking the Requisite with a better value. To me that virtue works best when you have a concept that uses compound-elements (a magus with a focus in "Ice and Snow" or "Magma" would need several elements as requisites into his spells, for example).
But here, you will need to level Corpus as much as your elements, and since the resulting spell would be very high level already, you hardly will have a lot of spells mixing several elements + Corpus. So, unless you really want to make Corpus spells with several elements i'd advice against picking Elementalist, just pick Book Learner or any extra xp virtue and numerically will work much better and will let you to achieve those spells earlier (unless you pick it for the rule of cool, in which case, go for it, ofc).

Hi everyone, I've made some progress on fleshing out the concept a bit, and have a pretty good sense of which virtues and flaws I'd like to go with. Here is an outline; I can keep adding flesh if things look good. The one virtue I'd really like to make sure everyone is okay with is Boosted or Tethered Magic (haven't decided which one yet). For Boosted Magic, I don't see using it to increase range beyond touch, since his short-ranged magic would kick in. But it would provide great flexibility for using vis to increase targets and durations. Tethered Magic is interesting too, since it's another way to use his magic to help others, at the risk of making undesirable arcane connections.

Background

• Great-great-grandmother (maternal) was a Mutantem Maga, from whom he inherited most of his Hermetic virtues
  • Son of a minor baron who is feuding with another baron of a different lord (Feud flaw - maybe a flaw better for mundane characters, but I think it could be interesting to see what he ends up doing, between the Code and his compassion. I'm not planning on any inheritance; he'll have many brothers)
  • Has a love of lore, learned from everyone who could stand having him around when he was a child (Arcane Lore virtue)
  • Apprenticed at Fengeld with a Gifted Mercere
  • After gauntlet, decided to become a Seeker, continue his pursuit of arcane lore and hunt for the secrets of the ancients. Wants to follow up some leads in stories he remembers from his childhood.

Virtues
Puissant Muto (0); Elementalist (3); Affinity with Muto (1); Affinity with Corpus (1); Fast Caster (1); Minor Magical Focus (self-transformation) (1); Arcane Lore (1); Improved Characteristics (1); Boosted Magic or Tethered Magic (1)

Flaws
Short-Ranged Magic (-3); Compassionate (-3); Feud vs. the von Radeggs (-3); Seeker (-1)

It would be quite unusual for a descendent of a Mercere maga to have been lost track of like that. Not impossible, mind you, but unusual. Note that this is a background element that isn't mandatory. It is just as possible for a Gifted youngster to manifest an affinity toward transformation magic and something like Boosted/Tethered Magic even if he is not from Mercere blood. There are plenty of other Muto magi out there. Or even right here at the covenant! :wink:

Or are you settling for House Mercere? Just noticed that he was apprentice to a Gifted Mercere at Fengheld. If so, this raises the question of why Fengheld? Canonically there are no Gifted Mercere living there. Why wasn't he brought up in Harco, for example, where it is much more likely a Mercere magus would be? They are few and precious. Also, why would he join a potentially constested covenant? That's a precarious place to live, politically, and House Mercere tend to avoid political conflicts (and go so far as not to vote at Tribunal) out of a general policy.

A feud with mundanes isn't really a Major flaw for a magus, in my opinion. Unless you live right on their doorstep and for some reason cannot just squash them. But then it tends to become a covenant hook, rather than an individual flaw, so I'd rather avoid that.

I think that Elementalist, the mMF and Boosted/Tethered are kinda pushing the character in different directions. I don't see a lot of interaction between them. Is it worth paying half of your virtues for that set? Maybe you saw something on that that I'm missing.

Arthur's point about Feud between magi and mundanes makes sense. Perhaps Close Family Ties would work better, with family expecting him to occasionally help (or maybe he just can't bring himself to say no)?

To make a lost Mercere, I'd likely put his great-great-great-...-mother dying on the Schism War, leaving behind an son or daughter who everyone thought to have perished but actually lived, with house Mercere only recently locking on that branch of the descendants.

Yes, that was my intent, and I didn't mean to imply that House Mercere had lost track of him. With his emphasis on self-transformation into elements, I thought it would be a good fit for that House and Mutantem magic. He doesn't have to be apprenticed at Fengheld. My thinking here was that since his apprenticeship was from 1185-1200 or so, there could have been a Gifted Mercere at Fengheld during that period, since it is the Redcap hub for the Rhine Tribunal. But if you'd prefer to apply the 1220 canon to that period, I can move his apprenticeship to Harco, or some other covenant that has a Gifted Mercere according to canon (I don't have a source for the Roman Tribunal, so can't chose a canonical resident to serve as his master).

Highlights of what I found written in the House Mercere chapter that relate to this are (1) Redcaps don't vote at Tribunal to keep out of politics, (2) Gifted Mercere aren't required to be apolitical and to not vote, but usually abstain to avoid seeming superior to their Redcap Housemates, and (3) Gifted Mercere have more freedom to find their own way than Redcaps (but not unlimited freedom of course). Unless he's been forbidden or asked not to go by his superiors, my character would go to Tugurium to pursue lore and to be closer to his family.

Understood. I'll go with Close Family Ties as Rafael suggested and figure out two more minor flaws to make up the difference.

I wanted to try something different here, and give my magus an interesting set of capabilities. They weren't necessarily meant to work together. Do you think that this approach results in characters that are difficult to play, or in anything else I should avoid?