Character Creation Discussions (OOC)

I think a middle eastern woman in southern germany will certainly have an interesting time with mundane relations. :slight_smile: but of course you should play what you want.

Well, there were a lot of Europeans in the Levant at this time. Norman French was one of the most spoken languages among the rulers there, even if more people spoke Greek or Arabic.

I do know I'll have to get a move on things. But not feeling pulled in too many directions should help with that quite a bit.

1 Like

Mostly I'm going to have to make sure I don't step on Houlio/Perion's toes, as Solomonic/Thessalian stuff deals with spirits. I think the directions we're taking things would be more akin to being in the same house rather than stepping on each others' toes, though.

I'll start getting things posted soon.

I've been toying with the idea of a companion who's an Alewife, with some of the brand new hop techniques. Was thinking about her being Touched by the Realm of Magic, so she can make magic beer but also developed a negative reaction to divine auras (which she wouldn't fully understand, but just knows the effects of it.)

Very preliminary at this point, does that sound interesting to people? Can Touched by the Realm work with Magic Beer? ( It might need a bit of tweaking since beer isn't an object that can be personalized. )

I don't see why Touched by Realm cannot work with beer. The problem, as you note, is personalization. However, you might look at the bards in TCI; they have a form of Touched by Realm that only works with Personal/Performance/Sound. You might be able to build similarly with Personal/Taste.

Grogs, let's toast to the mission's success! Everyone chugs and are now ready for battle! :wink:

Between my mead and your beer, we may end up with a very popular party spot. We may have to work together for a Gastronomers' party. :slight_smile:

Having through through it, there really shouldn't be a problem with several Flambeau in one spot. (The Flambeau style fit what I was writing better than the Trianoma style.) They join together often enough. And our directions are very different from each other. Seems like more of a bonding thing and part of why we would join together.

Meanwhile, it looks like a few of us are associated with the Cult of Mercury in some way. That can be another good bonding point. Maybe it's also a good reason for several of us to help another in pursuit of lost Mercurian secrets, too?

Along those lines, if anyone visits Aedes Mercurii before the game start, there is a good chance they'll run into Mariana of Flambeau there. It looks like Wolfgang would be likely to know Mariana.

Yeah, I think it's very normal for covenants to have multiple people from the same house anyways. I also like Perion enough that I think I'd rather stick with him than go back to one of my earlier concepts.

I just haven't been typing up advancement because I want to make sure my background and at-gauntlet character look good. The only spells that need vetting are basically identical and are pretty much straight out of the guideline. The guideline doesn't say there should be a Stamina check, but much instant-kill stuff includes that.

I really despise the arbitrary stat rolls added to resist certain spells. They have no basis in the internal logic of the system other than having been added in certain instances.

I hear you. I did it for consistency with those. I can just as easily drop it.

I think the (natural) resistance roll is so that the target still has a (slim) chance of not instantly dying. In the same way that they would have a (also slim) chance of soaking a high-damage attack or spell.

Well it's not on instant death spells (the PeCo ones), but on the mind-destruction spell and a bunch of other random spells, that have particularly severe effects. It appears mostly in Mentem, actually, but also randomly here and there.

Those are both good points, and pointing in opposite directions.

Sadly, there's no rule about "natural" resistance rolls (as opposed to Magic Resistance).

Something to remember is that what applies to enemies also apply to your characters. Not just magi, but grogs and companions too. Are you ready to have their mind destroyed (or similar instant-kill or near-instant-kill) without any chance of avoiding the effect?

Not sure what two points I made, all I meant was to point out the arbitrariness.

I'm fine with Magic Resistance being the only defense against magic, and magic being deadly.

But I'm just one voice, if we want there to be some innate resistance based on stats (or maybe just Sta), I'm also ok with that, but it should be a universal rule.

You made one, I made the other. :wink:

Natural resistance rolls give a chance for some virtues (like Strong-Willed) to provide their bonus to resist specific forms of magic.

Maybe those virtues should just grant natural resistance, and give a roll where one wouldn't otherwise exist.

There are edge cases too, like for instance Mien of Helios should have some mechanic to make the blinding avoidable, but I think a stam roll isn't the best way to handle that.

Indeed, Stamina is probably not always the best stat to use for the resistance/avoidance roll. Mien of Helios could use Quickness to avoid blindness (turning away quickly enough), for example.

I had a wild idea about the steward the Leonardus left in charge of the refuge.

What if his human appearance is just an illusion (from an enchanted item crafted by Leonardus) and the steward is in fact a magic thing -- something like an animated statue or skeleton, an automaton or an awakened magical item (such as The Tireless Servant from Covenants). It could have been warped over time, affected by a lab accident or is inhabited by the spirit of a dead covenfolk.

That would explain why the steward cannot be the one to deal with mundanes -- although the illusion covers its appearance, there is still something lacking in the way its body behaves that would draw too much attention over time (it doesn't eat or drink, amongst others). It also doesn't age, but needs to stay in the magical aura most of the time.

That means it wouldn't really be a companion for me to play during stories, but rather an interesting feature of this peculiar covenant.

What do you all think of the idea?

1 Like

I love it.