Character Creation for Arthur (OOC)

Background

Apprenticeship

The old man was Leonardus of Jerbiton. He did not take the boy as his own apprentice, for the simple reason that he already had one at the time. Instead, he brought the boy north to the first maga he'd trained, Flavia. At the time, she was living at the powerful covenant of Confluensis in the Normandy Tribunal.

During the trip to Confluensis, Leonardus began instructing the boy in how to behave and what to expect from his apprenticeship. He gave the boy one very important command, which he reinforced with magic: "Your name is now Giles. You will no longer use or respond to the name your parents gave you. Do not speak of your home town or family with anyone but me. "

Flavia was not completely happy to get custody of Giles. Though she was ready to take an apprentice, her plan had been to select one from the nobility (like herself) instead of some low-born boy, let alone one whose Gift showed all signs of being unGentle. But she could not deny her pater this request.

Over the course of Giles' apprenticeship, Flavia never asked any questions about his former life – she knew he was low-born and the life of the common people held little interest to her. On the other hand, she encouraged him to develop his artistic side – he could contribute to the beautification of life even despite the deficiencies of his blood.

Like her own pater, Flavia was strong in the Art of Muto, an aptitude she shared with Giles when opening his Arts. She shaped his natural aptitude with fluids into a focus with the transformation of water, while also giving him great flexibility with spells. This came at a cost, however, for Giles would share her inability to expert herself when working spontaneous magic.

After opening his Arts, Flavia set him to the tasks of learning Latin and becoming literate, all the while helping her in her own work. She would often dress him as a page in those early years, instruct him in proper behaviour and send him on errands around the covenant. When she travelled, she brought him along to introduce him to other members of the House and their own entourage of artists.

With such a powerful presence of Quaesitors in Confluensis, Giles could not help but pick up some elements of the laws governing the Order of Hermes, as well as its history and customs. Leonardus visited Confluensis a few times to consult his old friend Augustus Nero of House Guernicus, but also to see the boy and share stories with him. Nero kindly kept an eye on the boy's progress and well-being over the years, suggesting areas of further study and providing advice to the young man.

A few months before Giles passed his Gauntlet, taking the name Quintus Clusius (he uses Quentin amongst mundanes and just Clusius with friends), Leonardus disappeared into Twilight. His passing was declared final and his estate was settled by Nero a few years later.

Characters

Leonardus of Jerbiton was a rich and powerful magus, who recently disappeared into Twilight. He left behind a rich inheritance. He was a Master of Muto magic and a clever negociator. He was a member of the covenant of Triamore in the Rhine Tribunal, but had also established a secondary sanctum in Laimunt valley and discovered several vis sources there. Leonardus trained three apprentices: Flavia, Wilhelm and Eduardus.

Flavia of Jerbiton was Leonardus' first apprentice. She was born from the nobility of Lorraine over eighty years ago. She favors Muto Mentem magic and keeps many contacts with the nobility of France. For several years she was of member of Confluensis, but was offered a place in the prestigious covenant of Valnastium in the Greater Alps (she considers this her crowning achievement) after completing the training of her first apprentice. Confluensis asked another Jerbiton, Jerome, to take her place. She is somewhat disdainful of common-born and feels superior to magi without the Gentle Gift.

Wilhelm Weiss of Jerbiton was Leonardus' second apprentice. He is in his early fifties and lives in Cologne, posing as a merchant and managing Fengheld's chapter house of Rheingasse. He is deeply interested in trade and finances, and how magic can be used to benefit his covenant and the Order of Hermes. He has not yet achieved the rank of Master in the Rhine Tribunal, but expect to do so in the next few years. (See Guardians of the Forest, p.83)

Eduardus of House Tytalus was Leonardus' third apprentice and the reason why he did not train Clusius himself. Eduardus completed his apprenticeship about ten years before Clusius. He is artistically cultured and has the Gentle Gift. He switched House just after Leonardus passed into Twilight and is a member of the covenant of Montverte. (See The Lion and the Lily, p.59)

Augustus Nero of House Guernicus is Clusius' mentor and a long-time friend to Leonardus. He is the one who registered the secondary sanctum and vis sources of the covenant, and settled Leonardus' will. He still lives at Confluensis. He is a crafty old man, only a few years younger than Leonardus was, and an experienced attorney.

1 Like

Finalized stats just past Gauntlet. Added ability specialties and made some minor changes to Arts and abilities. Anything that changed (except the specialties) is marked in red.

Quintus Clusius, filius Flavia, House Jerbiton

Characteristics: Int +3, Per +2, Str -1, Sta 0, Pre 0, Com +2, Dex 0, Qik -1

Virtues:

• The Gift, Hermetic Magus
  • Social Contacts amongst House Jerbiton artists and art lovers (Free House Vitrue)
  • Free Expression (General, Minor)
  • Flexible Formulaic Magic (Hermetic, Major)
  • Improved Characteristics (General, Minor)
  • Inoffensive to Animals (Hermetic, Minor)
  • Inventive Genius (Hermetic, Minor)
  • Minor Magical Focus in Changing Water (Hermetic, Minor)
  • Puissant Muto (Hermetic, Minor)
  • Quiet Magic (Hermetic, Minor)

Flaws:

• Limited Magic Resistance in Terram (Hermetic, Minor)
  • Mentor (Story, Minor) – a Guernicus (presumably also his grand-pater's friend)
  • Optimistic (Personality, Major)
  • Temperate (Personality, Minor)
  • Weak Spontaneous Magic (Hermetic, Major)
  • Weird Magic (Hermetic, Minor)

Abilities:

• Area Lore: Confluensis (people) 2
  • Area Lore: Dijon (riverside) 1
  • Artes Liberales (geometry) 1
  • Athletics (grace) 2
  • Awareness (searching) 2
  • Brawl (dodging) 1
  • Charm (first impressions) 1
  • Code of Hermes (mundane relations) 1
  • Concentration (art) 2
  • Craft: Sculptor (clay) 3
  • Etiquette (nobility) 1
  • Finesse (grace) 2
  • Folk Ken (townsfolk) 2
  • Guile (feigning interest) 1
  • Language: French (Bourguignon) 5
  • Language: Latin (Hermetic usage) 4
  • Magic Theory (spells) 3
  • Organization Lore: Order of Hermes (politics) 2
  • Parma Magica (Mentem) 1
  • Philosophiae (moral philosophy) 1
  • Ride (gracefully) 1
  • Swim (underwater) 2

Hermetic Arts: Cr 5, Mu 5+3, Re 5, Aq 5, Vi 2 (+2 xp)

Wizard's Sigil: All of Clusius magic include an element of fluidity and movement to them.

Spell:

• Mighty Torrent of Water (CrAq 20) +10
  • Sculpt the Living Water (MuAq 20) +18 -- GofF p.96
  • Cloak of the Duck's Feathers (ReAq 5) +5
  • Rock of Viscid Clay (MuTe 15) +8
  • Bind Wounds (CrCo 10) +5
  • Wizard's Leap (ReCo 15) +5 -- HoH:S p.36
  • Aura of Beguiling Appearance (MuIm 10) +8 -- HoH:S p.96
  • Wizard's Vigil (MuVi 20) +10
  • Unravelling the Fabric of Terram (PeVi 5) +0
1 Like

Nice sigil! It really fits the rigidity v. fluidity part, and I can see how it can be incorporated into many effects well. A good casting sigil is always to wonderful.

1 Like

Post-Gauntlet Years

After 15 years spent under Flavia's somewhat dismissive attitude towards him, Clusius was happy to be finally free to pursue his own interests. He was still very much a lover of the arts, but was that all life had in store for him, now that he was a full magus of the Order of Hermes?

One of his problems was that Flavia's care had not helped him become self-confident or self-reliant. Unsure of how to proceed now that he was a magus, he sook advice from a different source. Once again, as during his apprenticeship, Augustus Nero was there for him.

The older Guernicus was still reeling from Leonardus' disappearance into Twilight and hoping his friend would reappear from it. Helping Clusius was the least he could do, for it both took his mind off his worries and honored his lost friend, for he knew how fond of the boy Leonardus was. And maybe prepare him for what may be coming, for Hero knew the content of Leonardus' Hermetic will...

So he arranged for Clusius to visit various covenants of the Normandy and Rhine Tribunals, and occasionally involving him in some of his trips as a Quaesitor.

1 Like

Year 1, Summer

My first trip with Augustus Nero was to the city of Ghent and the covenant of Florum. The trip was uneventful. My mater's lessons about travelling amongst the mundane population was well-learned, so Augustus and I kept a low profile whenever we had to stop at an inn. Augustus had a well-trained and experience group a grogs who took care of any interactions with townsfolk we met.

One of the few advantages I had over Augustus was that I could ride on my own, instead of being tossed around in a cart or a sedan chair, like the one Augustus uses. I may not have a Gentle Gift, as my mater often complained, but at least I don't draw any unusual reaction from animals. So I rode near Augustus.

We soon reached Ghent, a bustling trade city. Florum has a large flax farm near the city, and several hundred people work there in the textile factory. We were welcomed there by Rhesus of House Verditius, who was proud to show us around. He warned us against blatant uses of magic even on the covenant's grounds, as many of their mundanes are unaware that their employers are magi. After I was introduced by Augustus, who also explained that I was looking for a place to reside for a while, I was assigned guest quarters. I was surprised to find that they included a laboratory, as well as access to the library. Apparently they are looking for more magi to join them.

I spent the season exploring the city (discreetely of course), meeting the other magi and checking out the library. I did not study much, but that was nice change of pace after fifteen years of constantly scurrying to do Flavia's errands. I learned a bit about the local language as well, if only to be able to ask some basic questions and directions.

Advancement: 8 xp of practice in Language: Low German (Flemish)

1 Like

Language practice is usually 8xp :slight_smile:

Incomplete season or just plain laziness. :wink:

I may end up adjusting it.

Year 1, Fall

I am a bit stumped about what to study. There is so much yet to learn! Should I broaden my knowledge of the Arts or deepen my understanding in my specialties? Study the Arts or learn some spells? It is so hard to decide!

Florum's library is not as large as that of Confluensis. But I was never allowed to delve into the Confluensis' library, so that hardly matters. I finally settled with studying Corpus, to make it easier for me to cast some of the spells I knew.

Advancement: 15 xp in Corpus from reading beginner's Summa (rolled low on its quality, so it was only a basic L5Q15)

1 Like

Year 1, Winter

When I mentioned a willingness to pay Florum back for their hospitality, Rhesus explained that the covenant could always use more Vim vis to sustain the Aegis. It was only normal that I offer to spend the season extracting vis.

The maga Prunellie of Merinita offered the assistance of her apprentice Lisebette so that I could extract more vis. She claimed it would be a good experience for the 'girl'. I have trouble using that word for Lisebette, for she is certainly more woman than girl at seventeen. After those months working side-by-side, I had a feeling that she has a crush on me. That was a bit awkward for me. You see, Prunellie had clearly expressed her interest in having a thryst with me. Though a mature woman, she remained quite attractive and I was more than willing to participate.

I was quite surprised, however, when near the end of the season Prunellie invited Lisebette to join us.

Advancement: 2 xp in Creo from Exposure

1 Like

Year 2, Spring

I spent most of my time in the lab, learning low-level spells to compensate for my weakness with spontaneous magic.

My thryst with Prunellie – and Lisebette – continued for several weeks, but then Prunellie sent her apprentice to Florum's vassal at Spider's Palace. Was it jealousy from the older maga for the attention I was giving to Lisebette? I thought so at first. But perhaps the only reason the young woman joined us was to get pregnant. I haven't shared my suspicion with Prunellie, but a distance has grown between us.

Advancement: 2 xp in Corpus from Exposure, learned 20 levels of spells from lab texts – Rise of the Feathery Body, Spasms of the Uncontrollable Hand and Curse of the Unruly Tongue (Lab total: Re 5 + Co 5 + Int 3 + MT 4 + Aura 3 = 20)

1 Like

Year 2, Summer

Over the last few seasons, I have tried to pratice my art and see if any of the magi here at Florum are interested in making their covenant more beautiful. Alas, there seems to be little interest in art; all they can think of is their textile business.

Augustus and I have exchanged letters by redcap. I shared with him my experiences at Florum, as well as my musings about Prunellie's behaviour and Lisebette's departure. He wrote of his experience regarding maga who desire children from other magi, hoping for Gifted offspring. Apparently the practice of getting a female apprentice pregnant is not uncommon. At least in this case Lisebette seemed to be a willing participant.

Advancement: 15 xp in Muto from reading a L10Q15 summa (another fairly low roll for the quality of the summa)

Year 2, Fall

Leaving Florum behind was an easy decision to make. They lack of opportunity for me to develop and display my art here was the main factor. It will also make it easier for Lisebette to end her exile to Spider's Palace, since it is obvious that Prunellie does not want me to claim the child.

So when Augustus showed up, making a detour on his way to the Rhine Tribunal border, it was an easy decision for me to join him. We made our way to the city of Reims, in Picardy. South of the city is a forest, where several vis sources had been plundered by parties unknown. The covenants who held those as tropaeum raised the issue with the Quaesitor at Confluensis, and Augustus Nero was sent to investigate.

It took Augustus a while to trace the culprits for the theft, which proved to be a fairly powerful hedge mage leading a small band of thieves and brigands. He did not seem inclined to Join, and no match for Augustus. For my part, I helped our grogs deal with the more numerous brigands.

When we investigated their camp (a collection of crude huts), we found vis, silver and a few prisoners. Women and a few children, forced to cook and clean for the brigands. Most eventually returned to their families, but two of the older children had none. A strapping lad aged 13 called Louis and a girl named Adeline a year younger, who both swore to serve me.

There was more vis in the loot than what had been declared stolen. Augustus eventually tracked two previously unknown sources, which he plans on reporting at the next Tribunal meeting. Even after returning the stolen vis to the rightful owners, there was quite a bit of vis left. I also got a share of the silver and other valuables.

Advancement: 10 xp from a long adventure (5 in spell mastery for Wizard's Leap , 5 xp in Awareness), 8 pawns of vis (4 Aquam, 2 Vim and 2 Muto), 2 pounds of silver, 2 Warping Points

Notes: I went with a slightly higher amount of raw vis because of the nature of the adventure, as well as a relatively low amount of xp gained so far. The Arts covered reflect Clusius' specialties because there would have been a selection from the stash. I also applied above-average Warping to account for botches.

1 Like

Year 2 (1199 A.D.), Winter

With Confluensis hosting the next Tribunal Meeting next summer, I was asked to remain as a guest this year in exchange for helping prepare the covenant in anticipation of this large gathering and participate in the Tourney for Confluensis. At the last meeting I was still an apprentice, so this would be my first chance to participate. I would also be able to display my art before all of the magi of the Tribunal. What a fantastic opportunity!

In anticipation for this event, I had to select an event where I could make at least some contribution as part of Confluensis' team. The hastiludium seemed my best option. As a junior magus, no one expected me to win, but at least I could ride a mundane horse, which was a requirement for this event. Confluensis was weak in this event, so they had nothing to lose.

So I started my training under the expert care of the master of arms. I saw that Louis has also started training to become my shield grog.

Advancement: 10 xp in Ride from training

1 Like

Year 3 (1200 A.D.), Spring

I am continuing my training for the Tourney. One of my sparring partners is Louis, who is already much better than I am with a sword. But he doesn't know how to ride yet, so for the lance it is another grog that is my training partner. My bruises have bruises!

Adeline has expressed a desire to learn her letters, so I have arranged for her to receive appropriate teaching in this area.

Advancement: 10 xp in Single Weapon from training

1 Like

I'm enjoying the story, I don't especially have feedback mechanically, I would say other things are equally valid in training for the tournament, it could be a wide array of things based on the events, so I assume he's intentionally developing in a knightly direction.

I like the theme of courtly love and romantic hijinks among his social contacts that may be developing. :slight_smile:

Actually, he's not really deveopping in the knightly direction. He's just expressing his optimistic flaw in thinking he can actually compete in that area. To me, just improving his riding skills sounds nice. He will probably move towards something else after Tribunal.

I've updated the last two season to add some information about what happens Louis and Adeline. They will definitively be part of the story going forward.

Year 3 (1200 A.D.), Summer

The Tribunal meeting was amazing! I was toroughly trounced by my first opponent in the hastiludium. My opponent, Alexei of Flambeau, literally sent me flying from my horse on the second pass. My landing was rough, and the chirurgeon told me that I cracked two ribs. Alexei graciously offered vis to help heal my injuries, but I waved it off. Moving around causes me pain, but my injuries are far from life-threathening.

Thankfully, I had already finished my best water sculptures, and with their duration augmented they last for a moon instead of a day. My live demonstration of the art a few days later was more dificult, but one of my fellow Jerbiton applied a bit of magic to help mute the pain.

I got to meet many of my sodales. Some were really unpleasant, but I made several friends. Alexei, for one, praised my courage in attending the hastiludium with so little advance training. My mater of course offered a snide comment about my lack of noble blood, but I barely heard it. Her opinion of me hardly matter anymore.

Several important votes were taken. After all our guests had departed, Augustus spent some time with me to discuss the implications of each one, pointing out the maneuvering that took place behind the scenes and the likely reasons for each covenant's voting on those issues. Fascinating!

Advancement: 10 xp from adventure (5 in OoH Lore, 5 in Intrigue)

1 Like

Year 3 (1200 A.D.), Fall

After all the noise and excitement of the last year, including the Tribunal meeting, I needed some time to relax and to think. So I returned to my clay and my art to help me put all of these thoughts into shape. This allowed me to reach two conclusions.

The first one was that I was not and would never be a great warrior. Despite all the excitement and pride that my participation in the hastiludium has brought me, hitting people did not bring me any satisfaction. In fact, I've had nightmares about how some of the brigands died last year. I can recall their screams and whimpers much too clearly. Now, speaking to Louis and Adeline helped me understand that such violence is sometimes necessary, but I don't want to shape my life around it.

The second was that Flavia's attitude towards me would never change. She saw me as inferior for not having born from the nobility and for not have a Gentle Gift. I could either fight this, trying over and over again to convince to her that I was 'good enough' to be her equal. Or I could use it for my own purposes, manipulating her like I saw the various magi manipulating each others at Tribunal. My problem was that I clearly didn't know how to do that effectively. But I knew someone who did.

Advancement: 5 xp in Craft: Sculpting from Practice

1 Like

Year 3 (1200 A.D.), Winter

Now that the Tribunal meeting is past, I am starting to get the feeling that my presence at Confluensis is no longer so welcome. Although my status as a guest of Augustus has not been challenged by the council, I think it would be best if I did not wait until it is before leaving.

So I have asked if it would be possible for me to arrange for some basic texts, either copies or older books, so that I can continue my studies until I find a covenant to accept me as a member. It has been grudgingly allowed by the librarian. I get the feeling that I will not get the most current texts. Still, these should do for now.

In exchange for those copies, I am spending the season fixing an arcane connection to make it permanent. It is boring and demeaning work, something usually done by apprentices. A not-so-subtle hint.

At the end of the season, I was surprised by how many texts I was allowed to leave with. Two old primers on Mentem and Vim, as well as a recent copy of a root on Animal.

Advancement: 2 xp in Magic Theory from Exposure, three basic summae (L5Q15 on Mentem and Vim, L6Q20 on Animal) which will eventually be part of the covenant library

1 Like