Character Creation for Kingjawa

All of Kingjawa's character creation discussions will take place here. Once a character has been finalized, it will be moved to a separate thread for evolution during play.

Character concept: A Welsh, hunchbacked, goblin blooded (coblynau), Merinita magus with an affinity for terram magic. He prefers dark and creepy things and shady hermetic politics.

Mervyn of Merinita

Characteristics
Int +3, Per 0, Pre +1, Com +2, Str -1, Sta +1, Dex 0, Qik 0

Size: 0
Confidence: 1 (3)
Decrepitude: 0
Warping: 0

Personality traits:

Virtues
Hermetic Magus, The Gift, Faerie Magic (free), Strong Faerie Blood -Goblin/Coblynau (major supernatural), Quiet Magic x2 (minor hermetic), Affinity with Terram (minor hermetic), Puissant Terram (minor hermetic), Skilled Parens (minor hermetic), Improved Characteristics (minor general), Clear Thinker (minor general)

Flaws
Difficult Longevity Rituals (major hermetic), Ambitious (major personality), Unimaginative Learner (minor hermetic), Deficient Form-Auram (minor hermetic), Hunchback (minor general), Faerie Friend (minor story)

Abilities
Area Lore: Wales 1 (mines), Artes Liberales 1 (rhetoric), Awareness 1 (alertness), Concentration 1 (spell concentration), English 1 (directions), Etiquette 1 (faeries), Faerie Lore 2 (earth faeries), Finesse 1 (precision), Folk Ken 2 (magi), Guile 1 (twisted truths), Intrigue 2 (making deals), Latin 5 (writing), Leadership 1 (intimidation), Magic Theory 4 (inventing spells), Philosophae 1 (Rituals), Order of Hermes Lore 1 (politics), Parma Magica 1 (Ingem), Penetration 2 (Terram), Profession: Scribe 1 (books), Second Sight 2 (faeries), Stealth 2 (sneak) Welsh 5 (Slang)

Mastery 1

Arts
Creo 1, Intellego 5, Muto 5, Perdo 5, Rego 7
Herbam 5, Imagine 5, Terram 10+3 (57), Vim 2

Spells are a work in progress
The Earth Splits Asunder ReTe 30
The Miner's Keen Eye InTe 20
Obliteration of Metallic Barrier 20
The Crystal Dart MuTe 10
Curse of The Rotted Wood PeHe 5
Thaumaturgical Transformation of Plans to Iron MuHe 20
Prying Eyes InIm 5
Aura of Ennobled Presence MuIm 10
Veil of Invisibility 20 PeIm
Wizards Sidestep ReIm 10

At first glance:

• Incompatible Arts with InIg and InAu? That's kind of cheap, as there are very few spells in those combinations. I'd like you to pick at least one combination that will actually be a disadvantage to the character. A flaw that has no disadvantage is not a flaw.
  • He seems to have too many xp. By my calculation, it should be 45 (childhood) + 75 (to age 10) + 300 (apprenticeship include Skilled Parens) + 5 (initial score in Second Sight) = 425. I count 315 (Abilities) + 145 (Arts) = 460. Let me know if I miscounted. (Native language at 5 was excluded from my calculations)

I have no problem changing these, but I did have process that brought me to them. I will share even though I plan to change. I thought because he had developed second sight and was an underground darkness faerie type he would have difficulty "seeing the light" of InIg and there is almost no weather underground so InAu would be foreign to him.

It's likely I made a mistake I will check my notes when I get home.

I have changed Incompatible Arts with InIg and InAu to Deficient Form-Auram.

I was 35 points over in abilities and have made the following changes reduced Stealth from 3 to 2 (15) reduced Guile from 2 to 1 (10) reduced Order of Hermes Lore from 2 to 1.

I have updated spells, but I may one 1 non-standard spell or Faerie Magic spell.

That results in a slight problem vs the phases of life. Since you lowered abilities that can be learned by anyone, you end up with too much xp that can only be spent during apprenticeship and not enough during childhood and early life.

Right now, I assigned the various xp to the phases of life as follow:

• Childhood (45 xp): Area Lore: Wales 1 (5 xp), Awareness 1 (5 xp), Folk Ken 2 (15 xp), Guile 1 (5 xp), Stealth 2 (15 xp), Language: Welsh (free)
  • Early Life (65 xp, should be 75 xp): Concentration 1 (5 xp), Etiquette 1 (5 xp), Intrigue 2 (15 xp), Leadership 1 (5 xp), Language: English 1 (5 xp), Profession: Scribe 1 (5 xp), Faerie Lore 2 (15 xp), Second Sight 2 (10 xp)
  • Apprenticeship (310 xp, should be 300 xp): Organization Lore: Order of Hermes 1 (5 xp), Artes LibĂ©rales 1 (5 xp), Latin 5 (75 xp), Philosophiae 1 (5 xp), Finesse 1 (5 xp), Magic Theory 4 (50 xp), Parma Magica 1 (5 xp), Penetration 2 (15 xp), magical Arts (145 xp)

As you can see, I am already stretching things quite a bit already, as he is Learning Concentration (with a specialty in "spell concentration"!) and Faerie Lore before even becoming an apprentice. As well as Profession: Scribe before being able to read.

So there needs to be some reallocation of xp from apprenticeship to early life...

You may want to work on his background before moving things around, though, as it might lead you to unexpected places that results in further changes. :smiley:

Mervyn was born to a struggling family in a small mining village in Wales. His father was a miner and his mother would help make ends meet by selling food to any miner that did not have a wife or family to do so for him. One time when he was just old enough to walk he wandered off into the mine. No search party could find the boy and no one could console the family of their loss. Ten days passed and by then not a single villager thought they would see the boy alive again. Then, on the tenth night when the moon was new and the sky was the darkest, a strange green light was seen coming from the mine. Several villagers gathered to investigate and Mervyn was found sitting and eating a patch of glowing cave mushrooms. The family was joyous beyond belief. The miners thought the location might be lucky and decided to dig at the location that the boy was found, and the mushrooms seemed to mark a hidden vein of great wealth. The village would celebrate the day that boy and the wealth were found for years to come. It did not take the family long to realize that the boy was different, upon his return. Mervyn's eyes would catch the faintest light and begin to sparkle light a nobleman's emerald with the same green light of the glowing mushrooms. He would tell his parents that he could see things that others could not and he took to night like a bat. As Mervyn started to grow his body twisted and his back bent. While he was never a tall child his curved back made him much shorter then the other children. The story of the boy traveled the land and was renewed with each year's celebration. The village would have strange visitors that would come each year and ask to speak to Mervyn in private and the young boy craved the attention that his minor fame brought. Sometimes when the child thought he was loosing the attention he would start to make the story more interesting to pull the listener attention back in. After the child's tenth birthday one of the visitors offered to sponsor the child at a distant school. It was clear that the boy's twisted form would not allow him to be a miner like his father and his parents knew that the boy's bright eyes hid and even brighter mind.

The boy was taken as an apprentice by Oliver of Merinita and moved to the Ungulus covenant of the Stonehenge Tribunal. (I will update further today when I get off of work)

(This player has left the saga before play begun.)