Character Creation for Rafael (OOC)

Going back to change a few things:

1. The Primus of House Guernicus should be Arliandus at this point, not Bilera;
  2. I'm hardly going to need more than Scribe 2 and I'm already going to end the year at the low end on xp, so I'm changing 1199 Autumn from 10xp Profession: scribe to 5xp Profession: scribe + 5xp Artes Liberales;
  3. That 0.5xp on Creo is going to bother me forever, and it's unlikely to ever change, so I'm making the summa L5Q15 + Q1 from glossing (as per Covenants p.91). Although irrelevant for most magi (except Poor Students if I'm not wrong) I think this makes sense since it's an old summa that was probably read by all magi at this covenant, someone is bound to have glossed it (and this way I won't get crazy).

I'm going to write and post the next season in a few hours and then wait a bit for comments and suggestions before going on.

1 Like

Selected entries from Regulus Petraeus journal

1200, Summer

June 22th

I have recovered from my wounds, and while I know that there is much more I can learn about Creo, I must change my focus to the incoming Tribunal. This year the events shall happen at Oleron. Actually at first the drawn lots indicated the covenant of Requiem Aeterna, a winter covenant at the ruined city of Nesle that houses an interesting tradition of Ex Miscellanea. However, considering that the covenant only has two magi, one on the verge of Final Twilight, a second paper was drawn, resulting in Oleron, a weird covenant of Merinita mage located in a faerie regio. The venue for both the Tribunal proper and the Hermetic Tournament will be, however, in a separate regio, a few miles east, to avoid perturbing the routine of the mundane villagers of Oleron.

We have left Cunfin the previous week, and it is expected that our journey will take another fortnight.

July 3rd

We arrived a bit early than expected, thanks to good weather and a bit of Terram magic. The regio has a weak faerie aura of 2, and entrance is possible at sunrise for anyone, which makes it a poor location for a covenant, but an appropriate location for a Tribunal. The proceedings will begin in another week, and until then I am left to my book.

July 5th

The magi of Fudarus have arrived today, divided in two groups. It seems the house is still divided between two primi. We have no right to interfere in how other houses manage themselves, but I canā€™t avoid recalling the scriptures: a house divided against itself cannot stand.

At least a friend arrives with them, Robert, apprentice to Rhea of Tytalus. While we usually have met in opposite sides of the table (with Valerian investigating Rhea, and each one of us accompanying our respective parens), there is no bad blood between us, and we have occasionally corresponded. A couple years have gone by since I last saw Robert, I hope that the ways of House Tytalus have not corrupted him.

I couldnā€™t meet Robert today. It appears that on Wednesday, while outside of the Sanctum, an apprentice can talk only to women. Itā€™s this kind of petty behavior that ensures that House Tytalus is disliked by most.

July 9th

The last three days were designated for final arbitrations and conciliations between parts. Once more I spoke to Ventrius and Teophilus, and once more Ventrius rejected arbitration.

The Praeco has decided the order of the proceedings. Tomorrow the Tribunal beggins.

July 10th

The day started with the reception of the magi; first the magi of the Tribunal, followed by the new magi, both immigrating from other Tribunals or recently gauntleted in, order of seniority. As such I was one of the last ones to enter, being gauntleted only in the last year. I proudly presented myself, Regulus Petraeus, filius Valerian, follower of Guernicus, Quaesitor of the Order of Hermes, and proceeded to sit besides Valerian.

After a few amenities, the Presiding Quaesitor, Augustus Nero, declared the Tribunal quorate and the public hearings started.

A few selected cases:

• Helios of Tytalus and Gulo Midusulfis of House Bjornaer, who founded the covenant of Atramentum last spring, a vassal to Fudarus, claim that last year Fudarus interfered with mundanes and brought ruin upon the magi of Atramentum by sending agents to create a guild in the town of Le Conquet, disrupting artisans working for Atramentum.

• Tribunal Ruling: no case to answer. Le Conquet is closer to Fudarus than to Atramentum; therefore, Fudarusā€™ activities in the town have precedence.
  • The Tribunal accuses the covenant Atsingani of failure to return one of the prizes from the last tournament, an Aquan summa. Atsingani claims that the summa was destroyed the previous year during a raid conducted by Venutia, from Oleron.

• Tribunal Ruling: Atsingani is guilty of failing to return the summa; it is noted that the lost book belonged not to Atsingani, but the whole Tribunal, and therefore the act constitutes deprivation against the whole Tribunal. Atsingane must return a summa as good as the lost one by the next year, and must pay a fine of 1 pawn of vis to each covenant of the Tribunal for the next seven years.
  • Atsingani charges Venutia of deprivation of magical power and of bringing ruin to Atsingani by making the covenant an enemy of the Normandy Tribunal.

• Tribunal Ruling: Venutia is acquitted from the accusation of deprivation, but is found guilty of bringing ruin to Atsingani, and punished by the loss of her familiar.
      • Personal Note: Here we see the subtleness of the Praeco. Had Atsinganiā€™s claims been heard first, Venutia would probably have been acquitted from both charges (for no ruin had befallen Atsingani yet); by hearing Atsingani first, the Praeco ensured proper justice was dispensed.

This case I will describe in more details, for it concerns me in a more personal level. Ventrius of Merinita charges Teophilus of Tytalus with mundane interference, by healing a boy in front of the priests from the Dol Cathedral. Teophilus claims that there was no ruin brought upon the sodales, and brings in Rhea of Tytalus as witness. Rhea testifies that she has connections with the bishop, and except for him (that knows about hermetic magic) the priests believe it was a miracle from the Lord. She also states that Teophilus shouldnā€™t have the need to heal the boy if he had not been injured by a spell cast by Ventrius; that the boy is the bastard son of Arthur, the Duke of Brittany; that Ventrius had accepted orders from a noble to cause the death of a child with rights of succession to the throne of England; that all of these facts had been discovered and verified by her network! The Tribunal was in uproar!

Now, this is highly irregular. The case wasnā€™t previously presented for publishing, but the testimony naturally developed in an accusation that couldnā€™t be ignored. The Praeco and the Presiding Quaesitor called for a private hearing, and the proceedings were suspended. I was called in, as the Quaesitor that tried to mediate the accusations previously.

As I entered the room I was met with several pairs of eyes. Teophilus and Ventrius, of course, were there. Also Renita Bjornaer, the Praeco, and Augustus Nero, the Presiding Quaesitor, and of course, Rhea of Tytalusā€¦ accompanied by Robert.

I recounted the events of the failed arbitration, and ratified that Teophilus hadnā€™t informed me of any relation of the child with nobility, to which Teophilus replied that this information was discovered by Rhea, and he was not aware of it at the time of the arbitration; that Ventrius rejection of arbitration had raised his suspicions and he asked Rhea, a more senior and more competent maga, to investigate the matter.

Rhea, on the other side, claimed that much of the investigative work was done by Robert, who had worked undercover to get close to the healed boy and convince him, through mundane means, to divulge his noble status, while her network provided clues and tips to facilitate Robertā€™s work, an after that, to validate the acquired information.

Rhea asked for Quaesitorial endorsement of her testimony, and said that as I was the original mediator of the case, it was fair that endorsement was conducted by me. To that I respectfully declined, having no standing to validate a senior maga words. I think I saw a hint of approval on Augustus Nero eyes, and I suspect that Rhea and Teophilus (and maybe, Robert) tried to entrap me in one of the Tytalus weave of intrigue. The Presiding Quaesitor endorsed Teophilusā€™ and Rheaā€™s testimony. I had, however, to validate Robertā€™s, which held true under Frosty Breath of the Spoken Lie.

Returning to the proceedings the Presiding Quaesitor declared that, since the information was not know by the defendant at the time of the attempted settlement; that the prosecution had repeatedly refused mediation from the Quaesitores; that the information had been naturally raised through the course of the proceedings; there was no intent of subverting the Tribunal procedures or to deny a fair trial to the prosecution (to that conclusion Iā€™m sure both the Praeco and Presiding Quaesitor object, but we have no concrete proof of intent from Rhea or Teophilus).

Given the information presented, the Praeco called for a vote, and Teophilus was found guilty, for his actions could strengthen any claims Arthur or his son had, due to the ā€œdivine healingā€ in moments of dire need; a vis fine was set, which Teophilus immediately paid.

The counter-case was presented in sequence: Teophilus of Tytalus brough charges of mundane interference against Ventrius of Merinita; Ventrius was considered guilty of a high crime. What is more, had it not been Theophilus intervention, the death of the child could have had unforeseen consequences for the Order. Therefore, Ventrius was commanded to restitute Teophilus the double of the vis spent with the healing ritual, and was punished with a vis fine much higher than what Teophilus had paid. Furthermore, the Tribunal would start an quaesitorial investigation to determine if there was any vassalage relationship between Ventrius and any mundane lord (from Ventrius pale face, I think I know the answer already), and how much had his actions interfered with mundane politics. Further punishment would be dispensed at the next Tribunal after investigations were concluded.

Now, after all has ended and I have the time to reflect, Iā€™m sure this was an elaborate ploy by Teophilus and Rhea; however, one that would have failed if Ventrius had not been so obstinate to avoid settlement at the last Autumn. I will refrain from asking Robert anything about this case, mainly because I donā€™t believe he is aware of anything else that could be of value.

• Kervoire Ex Miscellanea accuses Barita of Bonisagus of deprivation of magical power. Two years ago Barita used the right of Bonisagus to ask for Kervoireā€™s apprentice; however, 40 days later, the apprentice was dead. Kervoire claims that Barita never wanted the girl, but instead had the intention to kill her from the beginning due to a feud with Kervoire. Barita says that even if that was true (which she doesnā€™t deny neither confirms) the right of Bonisagus allows her to claim another magus apprentice. Both magi brought a few witnesses to testify on the situation.
    • Tribunal Ruling: after a heated debate and a few threats of Wizardā€™s War, it was ruled that there was no way, based on the research conducted by Barita, and Kervoireā€™s magical tradition, for Kervoireā€™s apprentice to be of any help with her research, and Baritaā€™s action was in fact a veiled attempt at deprivation. Kervoire pushed for a Wizardā€™s March, but the presiding Quaesitor, Augustus Nero, recommended the loss of the apprentice. Kervoire argued that Baritaā€™s apprentice was in no way an appropriate replacement for his, and the tribunal agreed. Barita was punished by loss of apprentice and banished from Normandy. Her apprentice was claimed by another magus from Ex Miscellanea.
      • Personal Note: this was a sad case. The hearings took at least one hour and a half. In one hour and a half, not once was the name of Kervoireā€™s apprentice mentioned. Both magi ā€” no, actually all magi present treated her from the beginning simply as ā€œmagical propertyā€, either of one magus or of another. Could that have been my fate if Valerian wasnā€™t my paren?

July 12th

The Hermetic Tournament

After the Tribunal proceedings the Hermetic Tournament started, and for many magi this is actually the main event. Iā€™d much like to return to Cunfin and keep reading the book on Creo, but that is not going to happen, for Iā€™m registered as part of Cunfinā€™s team.

Today the hastiludium and the melee shall be hosted; tomorrow, the Joust and the Choice of Oleron. Finally, the last day will see the dimicatio and the Certamen tournament. This arrangement ensures a bit of magic and a bit of non-magic every day, and is expected to please most of the audience.

The hastiludium is a weird contest where groups of 3 magi fight to remove the opponents from an object that is used as a ā€œmountā€ while also trying to move their mount to the other end of the field. Cunfin went surprisingly well in this competition, and my casting of The Unseen Porter was commended by Eloi, Princeps of Cunfin. In the afternoon he himself conjured the castle used in the melee, a circle duration CrIm spell that brings forth a castle. The goal is for the covenfolk and allies of the covenant, without the use of magic, to destroy the opponent rings in a free-for-all fight. Since our covenfolk are mostly religious men without much strength or athletic ability, it is of no surprise to anyone that we fared poorly.

In the evening I had a brief chance to meet Robert and talk about apprenticeship and the future. As always, his life is hard, and I canā€™t help but recall the case of yesterday (I have since learned that the apprenticeā€™s name was Leona). Afterwards I went to Valerian, and he offered his comments on several of the presented cases.

July 13th

The Joust started early in the morning. To this event, due to the lack of a sufficiently martial magus, Cunfin conceded. The joust is a violent competition between magi, and it is not rare for serious injuries to occur. Today was not different: I watched with dread the round between Erastrus of Flambeau, riding a flaming horse and holding a pilum of fire made solid, and Atreous Ex Miscellanea, riding wind itself. Erastrus happens to be a great rider, and Atreous had no chance from the beginning. After two passes he laid down on the ground, with a broken arm (from Erastrus strike) and leg (from his fall). Erastrus paid for the ritual healing.

In the afternoon we had the event choosen by Oleron: a faerie hunt, were the winning team was the one that captured the greater number of hares within the alloted time. Here I remembered to cast Eyes of the Eagle , and Cunfin once more had some marginal success.

Tonight we shall hold a meeting between Guernicus magi to review the results of this Tribunal and discuss the Tribunal of 1207.

July 14th

Lord, what have I done? Is there any chance of our relationship returning to a brighter one?

Almost 15 Guernicus and Quaesitores were reunited yesterday, most of whom I have already know for some years ā€” many even instructed me on the abilities required for a Quaesitor. Augustus Nero started by summarizing the events of the Tribunal and giving a few comments on each case, and all of the Guernicus attending were also invited to offer their insights. This is supposed to further improve our understanding about the Code of Hermes and the role of House Guernicus in the Order.

I gave few comments and listened most of the time, but when we reached the case between Kervoire and Barita I thought I should make my opinions heard. I started with my shock by the fact that the names of the apprentices werenā€™t even mentioned, and gave a heated speech about how the treatment dispensed to apprentices would hurt the order in the long run (house Tytalus being the most blatant example). As things stood, apprentices were no more than things to be broken, and hermetic law was insufficient to punish the magi for breaking them. Most of the cases of damages to an apprentice are low crimes, punished with a fine that goes to the Tribunal coffers; not one pawn is used to compensate the apprentice. Even Barita, after killing Leona, was not punished by the murder itself, but by having tried to covertly commit the crime of deprivation (!) and dupe the Tribunal into thinking that it was only an accident! Still, what happened to her in the end? Loss of the apprentice, and banishment from the Tribunal! Hardly a punishment at all! LOOK AT MYSELF! A LOST ARM DUE TO A BOTCHED EXPERIMENT! Should not this kind of event be compensated? Not only to the Order as a whole, for when we damage an apprentice, we damage a magus, but compensation to the apprentice himself! Until when will our disciples be treated like objects, not as future magi, with rights, and needs by themselves?

I see that the heat of the moment still affects me. Anyway, after my speech, a cold silence hung in the air. It was not until Valerian rise from his seat and stormed out of the reunion that I realized that my words could be seen as a direct attack against him. I tried to go after him and explain that it wasnā€™t the case; that I didnā€™t want a punishment for him, but instead, that every magus would be responsible for the fact, as he had been; but alas, I couldnā€™t find him. I hope he can forgive me.

Iā€™m now at the competition grounds for the Certamen tournament, and starting to realize what I have really done. I didnā€™t only attack Valerian; I did so in front of the whole of house Guernicus. I inadvertently put under check his morals, his sense of duty, his authority, his Quaesitorial status.

Iā€™m garbage.

People are talking and giving me side glances; I canā€™t help but think that the news are already running like wildfire.

Until now, Cunfin has done well in the Certamen, mainly due to Eloi and his filius. But now they are both tired, and I must step up to face our next opponent, Confluensis. From their line up it seems I will duel with Ambrosius, a Guernicus whose hermetic age is six years older than me. I have a shot at winning.

Utter defeat. Confluensis sent Valerian.

It was a slaughter.

July 15th

The prizes were given today. Cunfin managed to get 16th, not a bad position. On the first round of prizes Eloi choose a tropaea worth 4 pawns of vis/year, not very far away from Cunfin. On the second pass he allowed me to choose with the remaining prize pawn. I choose a lab text for Loss of But a Momentā€™s Memory, but I have no recollection of such (which I find ironic).

July 16th

We left for Cunfin. I have not seen Valerian since the Certamen.

Advancement and Rewards:

Adventure xp:

• 10xp Intrigue 1 (hermetic politcs) [5]

Reputations:

• Unfilial 1
  • Quaesitore 3 [1] (+1 xp by being involved in a serious case at the Tribunal (Ventrius vs. Teophilus))

Lab Text:

• Loss of But a Momentā€™s Memory (to be returned to the Normandy Tribunal in 1207).

@Houlio, there is some interaction between Regulus and Robert here. If you want to change, challenge, complement, rectify or just frame something in a different way, feel free to do so. :+1:

@Arthur I've just realized you have set the 1200 Tribunal in Normandy at Confluensis! Shame on me, I read this before but for some reason I was under the impression Clusius was in Provence that year. This doesnā€™t change most of which I've written, but I will edit the text latter to say Confluensis instead of Oleron.

Also, we should have seen each other (if not talked). Possibly fought on the hastiludium.
Man, in my head Clusius was older. I was going to have Erastrus inspiration for his solid pilum of fire come from Clusius, but the timeline doesnā€™t match... well, he could have sponted it, I suppose, if he has some kind of Magical Focus. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Nice integration of several characters into the narrative. The Tribunal cases make sense.

No worry about Oleron/Confluensis as the site. Making the correction shouldn't be too hard.

You could easily bonify the part about magi getting wounded with my account of Clusius getting broken ribs when he fought against Alexei of Flambeau. Or talk about the art presentations from members of House Jerbiton, where Clusius demonstrated his water sculptures.

Good job overall!

1 Like

I also enjoyed the inclusion of other characters. I will add to Perion's backstory to include meeting Regulus, and I'll post my additions here to make sure it works on your end too.

2 Likes

1200, Autumn

September 22th

We have arrived at Cunfin a month and half ago, and I spent most of the time since them thinking about my experience at the Tribunal. I gained a great deal of experience in politics, but at which price? If I had learned earlier, things could have been different.

I sent several letters to Valerian, but had no answer until now. On the other side, Erastrus and I have corresponded to great length. He is still working with Menelaus.

September 30th

I have decided to put the lab text for Loss of But a Momentā€™s Memory to good work. It should be barely doable if I experiment a bit.

October 17th

An unusual number of letters asking for help with legal arbitration have arrived today. Most of them are really hard to refuse: they are from senior magi, not too senior that is not appropriate for me to give them advice, but not young enough that I can simply refuse their requests without damage to my reputation. I must take a few days to answer them, but that shouldnā€™t make it impossible to work.

November 03th

A new batch of letters has arrived today via Redcap, and once more I must take my pen and answer them. A couple even arrived already with the consultation fee, assuming I would give an answer de pronto.

At least the letters from Erastrus are useful, and I have managed to grasp a few tricks from him.

November 27th

If I take one more day off, I can consider this laboratory season lost, for I will not be able to make up the lost time. Another batch of letters has arrived, and after sorting them out I managed to squeeze a few minutes to answer the important ones; the others I must send back with short apologies. At least I discovered what is happening: one of the magi has revealed in his letter that I was recommended by Valerian. Iā€™m sure he knows that I couldnā€™t give proper consultation to all of these magi, so I can only assume that he wants me to pass as incompetent or irresponsible. And, I still have not received any reply from him.

December 6th

Another batch. I have time for two or three only, and for the others I made an arrangement with a scribe, he will answer them for me.

My experimentation seems to be paying off. Iā€™m close to completion, but just barely.

December 8th

It seems I spoke too early. My experimentation resulted in a major flaw in the spell. It seems all the letters made me too distracted after all.

Advancements:

• 2 exposure + 1 correspondence xp: Magic Theory

Magic Theory 3 ā†’ Magic Theory 3 [3]

Spells:

• Loss of But a Momentā€™s Memory (PeMe 15/+13) [with major flaw]

Vis:

• 1p Creo
  • 2p Terram.

Design Notes: rolled a 2 for experimentation (managing 15 PeMe Lab Total); rolled 5 in the Extraordinary Results Chart (Side Effect); Rolled 7 on the Side Effect Chart (The spell has a major flaw. For example, a healing spell causes its targets great pain.)

If I reinvent the spell in another season I get +3 bonus (from doubling MT score for nearly succeeding).

@Arthur, Iā€™d love some help with the flaw.

Loss of But a Momentā€™s Memory is R: Eye, causes loss of 5 min of memory from target. Regulus sigil is asymmetry. Iā€™m not sure if/how this could be incorporated, in the flaw or in the spell. To be fair, Iā€™m not 100% happy with this sigil, Iā€™m having trouble thinking on reasonable ways for it to show on intelego and/or mentem.

Iā€™m writing the next season assuming that the major flaw on the spell makes it almost unusable and thus Iā€™m reinventing it (with +3 bonus from nearly succeeding and +3 from similar spell, meaning I succeed this time without experimenting).

1 Like

How about the caster also loses some memory? Maybe a Diameter's (2 minutes) instead of the 5 minutes the target loses, so it isn't symetric.

• Maybe the target remembers something else, like you trying to kiss them? Or you trying to sell them a smelly fish? Or that you owe them money? Insulted them?
  • Maybe the forgetting doesn't include the fact that you cast a spell on them?
  • Or maybe the length of the memory loss varies?

If I lose 2 minutes of memory then I surely am reinventing the spell. =9

The second option from Julia seems like it would be almost harmless in the hands of a magi that could cast voiceless and w/o gestures (either through virtues or mastery, or through having a high PeMe casting total and being able to accept the -15 penalty). The flaw is manageable for experienced or talented magi, but still huge. A few seasons practicing for mastery would bypass the flaw, but so would just inventing the spell again.

If the troupe is ok with this I think it is a nice flaw (keep in mind that if's effect on me is a bit smaller because I have Subtle Magic). I would try to keep the spell and see if I can work around it, unless the intent was that the target just knows even if I cast w/o gestures and voiceless. But I'd see that as a fatal flaw.

A question: when inventing a spell from a lab text, do I produce a lab text? I thought the answer was no, but I can't see that stated anywhere, and inventing a spell is a lab activity no matter if from a lab text or not...

The Magical memory virtue says you do (p. 45). So does p. 101.

It seems to me like having the target know that a spell was cast on him, but that you can work around that by not using words and gestures, is more in line with a minor flaw, not a major one.

What about the target feel like he just woke up from a nightmare? Some might be disoriented or confused for a few seconds, while others might scream in fear or act defensively if that is their natural inclination when facing a threat. That makes using the spell much more conspicuous, but still useable in some circumstances.

Yes, you produce a lab text when inventing a spell. This is written down in your personal short-hand, so isn't immediately useable by someone else, but you can use that lab text for further lab work.

The spell doesn't necessarily make someone forget that you cast it anyway, it depends on what 5 minute span you choose to target, so that doesn't work as a flaw.

I think a flaw that doesn't make you seriously consider reinventing the spell isn't major enough. I would second the suggestion of making the caster forget. As an alternative, maybe the spell has flawed targeting, and only works on the last five minutes of time; or it could be that it works normally, but the target immediately knows they've forgotten, rather than having to make an Int roll.

Fair.

I agree with this. I was looking for a barely useful spell. A manageable flaw, if I'm willing to make the effort/pay the price (for example, if I'm willing to lose a few minutes of memory every time I cast).

Ok, let's make it a spell that also makes Regulus forget a couple minutes. Say, if I make the target forget 5 minutes of the previous morning, I would also forget 5 minutes of my previous morning? (Mostly negates my intent for the spell, that is making the target forget any interrogation.)

Anyway, I've settled for reinventing it through 1200 Winter.

1 Like

That's symmetrical though, isn't it? (Thinking of your sigil.) It could just make you forget some random recent memory.

Thought about it, but I'm not sure if I will be keeping the sigil. And, is it even a flaw if it doesn't make me forget something important? How much can the loss of 5 random minutes of memories really impact me?

Of course, there is an of chance that it would be huge, and I'd be ok with Regulus randomly forgetting something and that generating a story, but that would burden the SG, wouldn't it?

That is why I proposed the following alternative...

I think it's a good option too, but I was on the same vibe as Plot_Device's comment: since my first impulse wasn't to reinvent it I thought that maybe it was only a minor flaw? Maybe I'm overthinking. Memory loss and waking up from a nightmare both seem like good options.

• Memory loss I'll reinvent right now, because the main objective is having a spell that makes the target forget the interrogatory (and if I forget together with him there is no point to the spell). The flawed Loss of But a Moment's Memory shall be renamed The Forgotten Oath of the Magus and will be used only in the rare circumstances (I expect they will be rare) where both me and the target must forget an event.

• Waking from nightmare I would keep for a few seasons, since it should be useable(ish) if I take precautions. Will probably get me into trouble someday, but that's in the future.

I could also rewrite the season from scratch without experimenting; in that case I'll probably work on my Perdo.

Another idea I just had is that instead of fully removing the memory, it might just make it seem like it was a dream?

The nightmare option is a matter of severity. A guard or fighting person might attack you, thinking you are the thing he was dreaming about. Someone fearful might just run away screaming, which isn't so convenient when you just wanted to pass through unnoticed.

In any case that target knows that something very strange just happened, and that you are the cause. Your face and eyes may very well figure prominently in the nightmare.

There's no going back and removing the season of experimentation. It happened.

Offered just in case you thought this was being more troublesome than what is necessary.

I see. A bit more serious than what I was thinking; since I don't want it, it must be major. XD

Ok, then Loss of But a Moment's Memory becomes:

Waking up From the Forgotten Nightmare (PeMe 15): The target loses 5 minutes of memories and has the vague notion of waking from a nightmare he can't recall. You target the loss of memory to a specific event or time. If the target sees the caster he recognizes him as being deeply related to the nightmare, and depending on the circumstances he may panic and react by instinct. With an Intelligence stress roll of 9+, the target realizes that memories of a certain period are missing. Careful introspection over a period of time can allow reconstruction of much of memory, but a certain sense of dread remains.
Note: since the spell is R: Eye the target will usually see the caster right after the spell is cast.

Does this work?

1 Like

1200, Winter

December 25th

It seems I have overstayed my welcome in Cunfin; Eloi ā€œforgotā€ to include me when casting the Aegis this year, and I must carry a casting token with me. He did seem apologetic about it. I donā€™t have any proof, but I suspect of Valerianā€™s hand in this. After all, Cunfin is a vassal to Confluensis, which I must remember, is now home to my pater.

I start to realize that, as long as I stay at Normandy, my life is going to be like this: continuously dealing with Valerianā€™s revenge. The Certamen at the Tribunal was no accident, but a deliberate choice of him. The same for the consultation letters I received last year. And if I am correct, the same for this winterā€™s inconvenience.

If he wants this to be our relationship from now on, so be it. I have tried to apologize. I still love and respect him, but I am not obliged to submit myself to this. Maybe one day, when I am stronger, I can make him hear me.

For now, I shall move. Iā€™ve written a letter to Primus Arliandus informing the house of my desire to go to another Tribunal. Iā€™m thinking of Thebes, for I have heard that the hermetic law is a bit different there, and that apprentices are treated in a different way. Maybe I will fare better there.

Also, I think I will keep the spell I invented the last season. It shall help me somewhat, if Iā€™m careful enough. For now I intend on work on my Arts; Cunfin has a good primer on Herbam, written by a somewhat heretic Bjornaer magus, and the library of the covenant is still open to me. I have also noticed that it is easier to understand the Arts when Iā€™m studying next to a exemplar of the Art, so I will try to get a small vase.

January 4th

Magvillus' council has agreed to send me to Thebes, and proposed a few possible covenants. I will think a little and answer them by the next week. A few more letters asking for consultation have arrived, but Iā€™m getting better at dealing with these without interrupting my work.

I managed to acquire a peppermint seedling in the village proper, and I hope that it will help to boost my studies.

January 11th

After some consideration, I have asked a letter of introduction for the covenant of Polyaigos, located in the island of same name.

March 19th

I have just finished my summa. The peppermint has grown a lot these last few months, just like my knowledge.

I shall prepare to leave; it is good that I do not have much luggage.

All in all, Iā€™m grateful.

Regulus Petraeus notes on the Theban Tribunal:

• Guernici are the upholders of the Code, but the duty of investigating and judging doesnā€™t fall upon our shoulders. (I confess this scares me; without us, magi are little more than lawless barbarians)
  • Council of Magistrates: elected by popular vote every Tribunal. Divided into three boards + treasury council.
  • Three boards: judicial, legislative, conciliatory.
  • Apprentices can lodge complaints against their masters!
  • Two kinds of magi, politai and metoikoi. A polites is a full citizen, a metoikos is a ā€œresident foreignerā€. Both protected by the Code; polites have more rights?
  • Tokens and shards: awarded only to politai
  • Tribunal proceedings: Hermetic Assembly > Law Council > Peopleā€™s Court > Council of Magistrates
  • A reduced Periphereal Code

Advancements:
Summa on Hermam, L5Q15

15 xp + 2 from Study Bonus: Herbam 0 ā†’ Herbam 5 [2]