Character Creation for Rafael (OOC)

Selected entries from Regulus Petraeus journal

1201, Spring

March 20th

As I left Cunfin, I wondered when would I be returning to Normandy (if I am to return at all). I left through the Mercere Portal between Cunfin and Dragon’s Rest, the hub of the Tribunal’s network of portals; from there I went to Harco. I’m now at Alexandria, in the city of Smyrna, on the Theban Tribunal. From here I shall be able to reach Polyaigos in 2 days, if I can secure a boat.

I am now also almost destitute, having spent 1 pawn of Terram to go from Dragon’s Rest to Harco, and yet another to go from Harco to Alexandria. Thankfully Évrard, the Redcap responsible for the portal at Cunfin, accepted to open the portal free of charge. I have yet one pawn of Creo; let’s see how long this one will last.

The covenant of Alexandria is home to several Mercere magi, all of them unGifted, and is also the hub of operations in this Tribunal. They have several devices to aid in the comfort and transportation of the Redcaps, and both a Flying Device and a Glass Submarine that allow for fast transportation. While The Flying Device is on loan, I was able to see the Submarine: an enormous structure more akin to a fish than to a vehicle. I’m told that it’s shape is that of a dolphin, a sea creature. While they offered me what they called “reasonable prices” to rent the equipment, I will not fool myself: I’m not able to pay the price for renting The Glass Submarine even for a few hours, much less the couple of days it would take to go from Alexandria to Polyaigos.

March 22th

I will have to wait almost a fortnight for a ship leaving for the Cyclades, and since this is a merchant ship it will take another 7 days before I arrive at Polyaigos. So much for saving time by Mercere Portals. At least my passage was arranged by the Mercere from Alexandria, so I don’t think there shall be trouble.

Having nothing better to do with my time while I wait I have been talking to the Redcaps about their travels and about the Tribunal. Since most of them don’t speak an exceptional Latin and I speak nothing of Classical Greek, a few misunderstandings have occurred, but nothing that soured the moods of anyone.

April 6th

Sadly, I leave Alexandria. The Redcaps are good company, and in the last week a Redcap woman by the name Sofia returned to the covenant; to my surprise, she was from Tuscany. Not very close to my homeland, not very far away. Between Tuscan, Sicilian, and Latin, I was able to learn a bit of Greek from her.

Now I am at the ship, and only one of the sailors knows a smidgen of Latin, so I keep my thoughts and words to myself. At least the skies are clear and the ship is fast.

April 12th

We arrived at Polyaigos in one day in advance thanks to the good weather. Part of the ship’s cargo was unloaded and received by a gray haired man, who I latter discovered to be Polyaigos autocrat, while a young boy quickly run to call a magi, reminding me of the cursores from Normandy. Soon an old Guernicus named Maria Laskarina arrived and guided me to the covenant. She also speaks only a passable Latin, and I start to see that language might be a barrier harder to transpose than the sea.

Maria gave me a better overview of the local customs than what I could have asked for. I arrive at Polyaigos as a metoikos ; if I want to become a polites I will need to work for the greater good of the Tribunal. Several opportunities should present themselves, in due time.

When a gifted child is found, a magus doesn’t claim the kid for themselves. Instead, they offer the kid to the tribunal, to be chosen as apprentices only at the Tribunal Proceedings, every seven years. Polyaigos houses these apprentices-in-waiting, where they are taught Greek, Artes Liberales and Latin; however, since the Tribunal was just last year we didn’t had any Gifted children yet. The covenant also teaches unGifted students, that end up becoming autocrats, servants, turb leaders or scribes for other covenants.

I was installed in one of the eight sanctums of Polyaigos (the seventh). A laboratory is already available, if a little dusty. Polyaigos seems like a good home.

April 17th

I was presented to the covenant’s library today. Greek! Every damn book is written in Greek! Every lab text, every spell! Only a few of the classics are in Latin. When I made that comment to Ioannes, a young Bonisagus, he claimed instead that all the true classics are in Greek: Aristotle, Plato, Heron, Euclid, Ptolemy… There was no way for me to disagree with him.

In time, Ioannes is a Trianomae of great linguistic knowledge, and the first good speaker of Latin I’ve found (he actually speaks better than me). It is very likely that he is going to be the only one I can communicate with in a daily basis for a long time.

I have decided to spend the rest of the season perfecting my understanding of Greek and arranging my new sanctum and laboratory according to my standards.

Advancement:

• Practice through immersion: 8xp Greek 0 → Classical Greek 1 [3].
  • Posessions: -2 pawns of Terram

1201, Summer

June 30th

Feeling that my understanding of Greek has been progressing slowly, I inquired if it would be possible to ask for instruction from one of the teachers of the covenant schools, to which Polyaigos’ council agreed. Tomorrow I shall start learning from Nicodemus, an agreeable man already past his 50 years.

July 7th

Nicodemus is an easy going man with a depth and breadth of knowledge that I have rarely found before. He teaches with passion, and it is easy to see that he loves what he do.

I received a letter from Erasmus yesterday. From the contents of the letter it was written before mine reached him, for he seems to think I am still at Cunfin.

Anyway, I have taken the chance to write to Valerian about my experiences. I don’t think he will answer (I’m not eve sure if he will read), but I’d like him to do so. I miss him.

July 20th

A Gifted child, a girl of age 12, arrived the last week, and so I’m not the only student of Nicodemus anymore (he is a teacher for all of the covenant, after all). Her name is Elena, just like my mother (but Nicodemus explains that it should be written as Helena ), and she knows Greek already, but not Classical Greek, which is a bit different (I’m starting to see the difference between both), so we shall take classes together.

The first few days I thought she was a bad student, for Helena kept looking around for ways to evade Nicodemus’ lectures; only on the third day I realized she was wary of me . I’m afraid my Gift is having it’s toll on her. When I asked Nicodemus why he wasn’t affected by the Gift he told me that after many years he had grown accustomed.

August 25th

Letters arrived today (none for me), brought by Sofia. She told me she learned her letters from Nicodemus, here at Polyaigos, almost a score year ago. We had dinner together and in the evening she led me to a few of her preferred points in the island. There was a beautiful sunset, and I felt that I had touched upon a new understanding on the Art of Imaginem, but the feeling quickly faded away. Maybe this will be a good point to sit with a book in the future.

I feel like Sofia was a bit annoyed, but for what reason I cannot say.

September 20th

Helena’s arrival got me thinking more and more about Leona (the apprentice from Normandy). What can I do to improve the standing of apprentices in the Order?

The rest of the season has gone by without interruptions.

Advancement:

• Teaching: 14 xp Classical Greek 1 [3] → Classical Greek 2 [7].

Design Notes: Nicodemus teaching total is +2 (Com) +9 (Teaching ) +3(standard) +3 (two students) -3 (gift penalty on Com related activities) = 14.

1 Like

EDIT: too many posts in sequence, included 1201 Winter here. I will wait for comments before progressing.

1201, Autumn

September 22th

I decided to write a letter to Robert asking how things are (I hope all is well) and another to Eloi, the princeps of Cunfin, to let him know of my current status. They shall be sent when the next Redcap arrives. I hope it is Sofia again, talking to her is comfortable.

Since Helena is still wary around me I decided to pick one of the few books written in Latin from the library for this next season.

September 24th

One of the summas of the library is an exquisite work titled simply Parma Magica , written by Bonisagus himself. I decided that raising my Parma would be for the best, so that I could extend it to Helena while Nicodemus teaches us. However there is only one copy of the book, and I discovered that Iohannes had taken it for the season. It is unfortunate, but I shall keep working on my Greek.

September 25th

Ioannes heard that I wanted to study from Parma Magica and brought me the book early in the morning. When I pointed that his seniority, both in the covenant and the Tribunal, were higher than mine, he remembered I was a Quaesitor. To make things a bit more fair I proposed a Certamen duel, but Ioannes objected. It seems Certamen is frowned upon on the Tribunal, and that it is preferable to settle disputes through logic; either that or with one magus stepping down from the conflict. Ioannes pointed that he could always study from another book this season, but my choices were (for now) limited to Latin, and both by logic and graciously stepping down, conceded me victory.

It seems that the Theban Tribunal is different than Normandy in many ways.

I will spend the rest of the season improving my Parma.

October 10th

The Redcap Lysandros arrived today.

Advancement:

• Summa Parma Magica (summa on Parma, L5Q11): 11 xp Parma 1 → Parma 2 [1].

Note: not sure if there are standard status for Bonisagus, I'm assuming Good Teacher and a higher than average Communication.

1201, Winter

January 01st

Since my arrival I have made no significant contribution, either to Polyaigos or to the Tribunal, and as I’m still learning Greek, there are limits to the Quaesitorial work that I can do, (while this duty doesn’t fall only on Guernici shoulders, all help is welcome).

To me that is doubly embarrassing, since the covenant dispensed the yearly vis for the members. While in Normandy the vis is scarce and everyone must fight for their share, in the Theban Tribunal there are ample sources, and magi often have more vis than they can use. By the simple fact of being here I’m entitled to 5 pawns of any flavor, as long as the covenant has it in stock. I chose one Intellego and 3 Terram.

After this year casting of the Aegis of the Heart I proposed to make something to help the covenfolk’s work in the quarry on the nearby island (one of the covenant’s source of income), to which the magi of the covenant agreed. Caio, the autocrat, suggested that something to either cutting stones or carrying them would be helpful. There should be lab texts for both items stored in the library.

January 02nd

The texts are, of course, in Greek. I’m not surprised.

Without the laboratory texts I’m not sure I can manage the item without experimenting, and even if I experiment there is a good chance of failure. After discussing the matter with Maria Laskarina and the other magi, Empedocles of Bonisagus agreed to lend me his apprentice, Catella, who is just on the verge of becoming a full maga. With her help it should be possible to translate the texts and make not one (my initial intent), but two enchanted devices.

January 10th

Catella is a cheerful and insightful woman. She talks with passion about her plans for the future: to join the covenant of Alexandria and study The Flying Device and The Glass Submarine. I think it fits neatly with her.

March 15th

We were able to build two gloves that shall facilitate the covenfolk’s work, but the greatest achievement of the season is, without doubt, to have produce two sets of lab notes in Latin. One I shall keep for myself, and the other will be stored within the library for future use.

Advancement:

• 2xp Exposure: Magic Theory 3 (Intellego) [3] → Magic Theory 3 (Intellego) [5]
  • Lab notes for The Enchanted Porter (from Covenants, p. 52).
  • +1p Intelego, +3p Terram.

Design Notes: My ReTe lab total is 17 (5 + 5 + int 1 + aura 3 + MT 3). Shape bonus of +3 from glove (+4 capped by MT +3) to affect things touched, +2 from knowing The Unseen Porter , +3 Catella’s Int, +6 Catella’s MT (with Puissant MT): Final Lab total = 31.

1 Like

I like the narrative. Things are progressing well. :slight_smile:

You saw how I intend to introduce your magus (mentioned in the Table Talk topic)?

1 Like

Yes, it will work nicely. I'm thinking that Regulus will return to Normandy after the fall of Constantinople with a group of magi and refugees, and ask Augustus (I've set him as the Presiding Quaesitor in my background, not sure if this agrees with your vision for him) for help with settling these people. After that Augustus, knowing things will be hard for Regulus in Normandy, will recommend him going to Tugurium (but I expect Valerian's hand to reach him sooner or later...).

I will post Spring of 1202 below and wait a bit (mainly because I still haven't written the other seasons =P).

1202, Spring

March 24th

The last season of laboratory work got me thinking on ways to bypass the limitations of my missing arm. Maybe I could, someday, enchant a device to substitute it? For now I won’t think about this, there are still other things to be done, and the missing arm barely bothers me (on most days).

April 2nd

Sofia arrived today, and with her, bad news. Or good. I’m not sure.

A letter from a certain Perion of Tytalus (from whom I’ve never heard before) arrived, and soon it was clear that Perion is the name taken by Robert. His mater, Rhea of Tytalus, is dead, slain by his hand. According to the Tytali customs this means that now Robert – I should get used to call him Perion – is a full magus. He asked me for some legal advice on his status within the order, and it seems he fears that he could be striped of his status. However, while I do not agree with the Tytalan way, the Code is clear: each house is entitled to decide what the apprentice gauntlet is. Since Perion has passed the gauntlet in a way that house Tytalus approves there is no way that his status as a magus could be challenged. I will compose a full answer latter, and I hope this tranquilizes him. I shall also ask him to send me a copy from the Analects of Tytalus , a famous book from the house, that should help me to give a more in depth analysis. Together with the letter I send him three pawns of Terram, to pay for any costs in acquiring the book.

A second letter arrived, from Erastrus. It seems one of his missives for me was lost on Normandy, but everything is fine other than that. He is having some trouble with Menelaus again, albeit they are not working together since the last summer.

I made a comment to Sofia that I haven’t left the island since my arrival, and she proposed to show me the Tribunal after I have “something resembling a functional understanding of language” , as she has put it. The fact that she spoke such in a barely passable Latin doesn’t give much credibility to her statement.

April 10th

I’m having Greek lessons from Nicodemus again this season. Now there are three Gifted children (Helena, Markos and Augusto), and I realize that much more Parma would be needed to avoid their Gifts from interacting with each other. There is some tension between them, specially between the boys, but nothing that can’t be managed.

I proposed that the magi of Polyaigos extend their Parmas upon the kids, but they dismissed the idea: it was already tried before. While it helps in the beginning, soon there will be more kids than what we could manage to protect. There is also the more practical problem of having to stay close to the kid if the Parma is to keep working, which would stop magi from doing lab work or going out of the covenant.
While I understand, I do not fully comply with their opinion: it should be possible to work out a schedule, wouldn't it? Anyway, I have decided to extend my Parma to Helena, as that was my initial intentention. She was amazed by the difference, and I remembered how it felt the first time Valerian extended his Parma to me.

June 17th

I have made good progress. Soon there should be no trouble to read from the library.

Advancement

• Teaching: 14xp Classical Greek 2 [7] → Classical Greek 3 [6].
  • -3 pawn Terram

Notes: Nicodemus is now accustomed with Regulus (no more penalty due to the Gift) but since there are more than 3 students now the teaching total doesn't change.

That's ok. Let's just say he was given the responsibility this time, as the senior Quaesitor present.

Regarding the extension of the parma to the Thebes apprentices, the problem is that for the Parma to keep covering someone else, the magus must stay close. ArM5 p.66: "You must touch each person to start the protection, and it lasts as long as at least one character can see the other." With that many apprentices gathered at the same place, the number of magi who would need to stay close would be high. Those magi would not be able to work in the lab or perform any number of other activities during that time.

[...] it lasts as long as at least one character can see the other.

There's also that point, I always forget it. I'll weave this into the narrative.

Anyway, one of my goals for this season is for Regulus to realize that there are practical issues that are hard to solve about how apprentices are treated, not all of it is malice or neglect.

Not sure who has and who hasn't access to the Thebes book, so just in case there is anyone confused by what is the deal with all the gifted kids with no master:

• in Thebes the apprentices are not claimed by the magus who finds them. Instead the magus gains a token and the apprentice stays in a school under the Tribunal care, usually learning Latin, Greek and Artes Liberales (Polyaigos has one of such schools, and that is the reason Regulus went there).
  • on the next Tribunal the potential apprentices are presented to the magi, who gift tokens to them to show interest, and the apprentices chose the master they want.
  • the magi are allowed to talk to the kids and explain things to them, but not to bribe or threaten the kids into accepting them.

1202, Summer

June 28th

I am now capable of a haltingly functional conversation in Greek, and it is easier to talk to the covenfolk. While I cannot yet read the books in the library, that day is not very far. Soon I will need to perfect myself on the Greek system of writing.

Maria Laskarina asked me if I could use some of my time to teach about the Order to the kids ( I would receive payment in vis for my seasons). While I have no objection to that I currently have no expertise on how to teach. Therefore, it was agreed that this season Nicodemus will pass on to me a few of his insights. Ioannes will join us, in preparation for taking an apprentice in the next Tribunal.

Catella passed her Gauntlet last year, and is now a full fledged maga of the Order of Hermes. She has left for Alexandria, but not without a small gift of appreciation: 1p of Creo and 1p of Intellego. I’ve come to discover that due to the abundance the magi of Thebes are generous with their gift, and while it pains me a bit, for I have grown in Rome and Normandy, two Tribunals scarce in vis, I know that I will receive my share later.

July 10th

I discovered that Nicodemus is an entirely different person when teaching about teaching. If before I saw in him a passionate men, now I see a fanatic that won’t accept less than excellency from those who share his faith.

Again I find myself missing Valerian, but now for an entirely different reason.

July 14th

Sofia visited today, bringing a request for Maria and a contract for Empedocles. She complimented my Greek. We walked through the rocky island and saw the sunset again.

I get myself thinking of Maria Laskarina words when I first arrived at Polyaigos: here I can be just a Guernicus, not a Quaesitor.

August 01st

I miss Sofia.

August 30th

Nicodemus seems satisfied with my progress. I must say that I am also satisfied.

On an unrelated side note, my missing arm has been itching for a few days.

September 17th

Lysandros arrived bringing the correspondence this time, but the surprise is that Sofia wrote a letter. Alas, she wrote in Greek, and I cannot read this yet. I must quickly work on the Greek symbols. Maybe I should ask Nicodemus later?

Perion sent me The Analects of Tytalus and a copy of The Book of Instruction. I will give it a read as soon as possible.

Erastrus is accusing Menelaus of deprivation of magical power, by stopping him from accessing the laboratory notes of their work, and asking me if I would be willing to be the accusation principle in Tribunal. The letter is from two months ago. I replied to Erastrus that I am not sure if I will be back at Normandy in 1207, and that even if I was it would be better to settle the case outside the Tribunal if possible (just like last time). I also offered to recommend him another Guernicus if I don’t return. I hope this is sufficient.

Advancement:

• Teaching: 18 xp Teaching 0 → Teaching 2 (large groups) [3].
  • -1p Creo, -1p Intellego
  • The Analects of Tytalus: Summa on House Tytalus Lore, L4Q11, Summa on Philosophiae L3Q11, Tractatus on Order of Hermes Lore, Quality 8
  • The Book of Instruction: a Tytalus manual on how to treat apprentices.

Design Notes:

• Nicodemus teaching total is +2 (Com) +10 (Teaching about teaching) +3(standard) +3 (two students) = 18.
  • The Analects of Tytalus is a pretty common book in house Tytalus, and every apprentice copies his' masters at some point during apprenticeship. I'm assuming Perion could have easily find a spare one for cheap. I'm pricing it as 3 pawns (paid last season), but this might be stretching things a bit... At the same time, paying 8 pawns for the book (L4 Tytalus Lore, L3 Philosophiae + Q8 Order of Hermes Lore Tratactus) seems a bit too much, since half of this is for the Tytalus Lore. Anyway, I'm open to price it differently.
  • The Book of Instruction is also a cheap book (for Tytali magi), and has no real instructional value for anyone.
1 Like

1202, Autumn

September 21th

The end of the year approaches. Nicodemus is resting after teaching for two seasons, and I find myself with plenty of time.

It is a shame to remain inside the walls while the weather is so agreeable on the outside; that is, at least, what the kids say. Yet, here we are: I, teaching, they, bored. But they need to have a basic grasp on the functioning of the Order. Specially since they have a few special rights in the Theban Tribunal.

I see that sometimes they struggle to understand my Greek. I hope they can at least learn something.

On a side note, I will be paid 2 pawns for my season of work. Not much, but that value was agreed taking into account the time Nicodemus spent teaching me instead of other people.

October 08th

In the afternoon Sofia came, carrying couple of letters. No news of Normandy for me, however. Her mood was sour, and I can’t fathom the reason for such.

October 09th

It seems there was a huge misunderstanding. Sofia though I hadn’t answered her letter because I didn’t want to. I confess it slipped out of my mind due to Perion’s and Erastrus’ missives, but the main reason is that I couldn’t read it, nor write back. After I explained that she got a bit more amenable and asked me to pass by the rocky beach later in the evening; she will help me translate.

October 10th

There was very little translation yesterday.

The sky was a deep red, but I barely noticed.

Sofia’s eyes are pale blue.

November 29th

After almost three months I’ve come to know the kids very well. We now have 5 gifted children at Polyaigos, a huge number.

Helena is now 13. She is quick witted, smart and bright. I refrain from extending my Parma to her during classes so that there is no grounds for accusations of favoritism, but I almost always extend it when she asks questions outside classroom.

Markos and Augusto are both 8, and both troublesome. I suspect Augusto to have faerie blood, but I’m not sure: if there is any heritage, it is dilluted.

Damen is 10 and was born blind. He is quick to learn and knows a few words of Latin already, but he will need a master who is able to teach him without relying on books.

Finally, Iliana is the youngest of all, a girl of 4 who is always scared and is still not of the right age to teach.

While I give them basic instruction about the Order (and suspect that much will be forgotten by the next month) I realize how difficult it would be to teach any of them. They are bound to find a master in 1207, and for now the most I can expect is that they find a good one.

I have been thinking hard, but any addition to the Code to secure more rights for these boys and girls would restrict some of the magi liberty. Balance is the key, and I expect that the Periphereal Code of Thebes can give me some insights for improvements on the rest of the Order.

December 03rd

Sofia visited once more, the 4th time this season, and I think she is coming more than her schedule should allow, for which I’m grateful. The weather is becoming cold and gray, and we are making plans to tour the Cyclades in the next year, when it gets warmer again.

The days are tranquil.

Advancement:

• Exposure: 2xp Teaching 2 (large groups) [3] → Teaching 2 (large groups) [5]
  • +2 pawns Vim vis.
2 Likes

Typo?

1 Like

1202, Winter

December 25th

This year the yield of vis was smaller than the last, but I was still able to receive 4 pawns. I opted for one of each element.

I intend to work on my Artes Liberales this season, and master the Greek alphabet. To that end I will practice by myself, and I expect to count on the occasional comments of Ioannes.

January 07th

Sofia arrived today, with a request for Maria Laskarina, and soon I was invited to join them in the council room.

It seems there is some kind of man-devouring beast on the village of Kritikakis, in the island of Ios, for many villagers have gone missing in the last weeks. Sofia heard the rumors and, thinking it likely to be some magic or fae creature (or worse, infernal) came for advice from Maria Laskarina. The Guernicus decided to mount an expedition and asked me to accompany them. We depart tomorrow on one of Polyaigos boats.

January 09th

Our group is composed by Maria, Sofia and me; Maria’s apprentice, Atalo; and a group of five grogs. We arrived at the village early in the morning and, after Sofia got directions from the locals, went to a house on the outskirts of the city. There a woman on her forties, eying us suspiciously (due to mine and Maria’s Gift as far as we could determine) told us that her husband, a shepherd, didn’t come home last night. We feared he was the last victim of the beast.
Taking one of his clothes I cast The Ear for Distant Voices , hopping for a clue of where he could be, but I was greeted with an horrible and inhumane sound of mastication that immediately made me puke. I’m afraid I’ve shown Sofia a weak side of mine.

We divided the group to facilitate exploration and after making a few more questions we determined were the man was last seen (which helped little). One of the grogs, Illias, disappeared for a few hours, and we feared the worst, but he returned after supper with a relevant information: a few people believe that the man was cheating on his wife with one of the woman of the village, a widow named Karia. This woman we couldn’t find, no matter how much we looked for.

These were the results of our search today; we will rest this night and resume our search tomorrow.

January 10th

Through several uses of spontaneous spells we were able to close on the general direction of the shepherd (or his mortal remains), and after walking through the better part of the morning we arrived at the foot of some hills were the trail went cold. No matter how many times I cast, we can’t find him. We suspect a regio, and since Maria can’t locate it with Piercing the Faerie Veil it means it is either a magical or an infernal regio (I doubt a divine creature would produce the sounds I heard). We shall keep looking.

After several hours I was finally able to see it: a dark and shadowy curtain in the air. After confabulating with Maria we decided to leave Sofia, Atalo and two grogs behind, while both of us and three grogs would enter. But not today, for the night approaches. Tonight we camp, tomorrow we brave into the darkness.

OOC Note: (Guideline 3, +1 touch, learn general direction and distance to target, requires AC.)

January 18th

We entered the regio on January 11th. Maria instructed Sofia to gather help if we didn’t return. I just kissed her.

It surely was an infernal regio. For a moment I felt the dark forces trying to wrestle the spell out my hands, but my cautiousness ended up paying off, I was able to retain control and sense the foul nature of the aura.

OOC Notes on the calc

Spontted “Sense of Infernal Power” , GL 2, +1 touch; rolled 0, +2 botch dice due to infernal aura, -3 due to Cautious Sorcerer (still must roll 1), evaded botch (would have botched if rolled all 3). Casting total 12+6+1-2 = 17, divided by 5 ends up with 3, just enough to determine the aura.

Not that we needed any confirmation. The earth was ashen, the bushes were sick and dry, the air was sulfurous. We gathered closer to each one and kept walking, with eyes wide open.

I cast upon myself Eyes of the Eagle and Wizard’s Sidestep. and Maria cast upon herself a few protective spells also. We moved carefully and slowly, and a few more spontaneous spells led us to a rocky hill, which we climbed without difficulty to find the horrific vision.

At the top of the hill there was a flat area, a stone table in the middle; perched upon the table a human, or at least a humanoid figure, clad in a red dress, it’s long hair to the waist, feeding on the corpse of a man. To me it was a hunchback figure with black, oily skin, long nails and pointed teeth, but later I found that the vision was more horrific to the grogs, for at first they saw a blonde woman with the mouth red with blood.

The creature become a cloud of darkness and horror, and I felt my Parma Magica protecting me from some infernal power. Maria Laskarina was also well, but the grogs immediately dropped their weapons and fled, as if their mortal souls were in peril (and they were). I used Wielding the Invisible Sling against the beast, only to see the rock I moved hitting it and falling down, my magic cancelled. Maria Laskarina was quick to cast Hands of the Grasping Earth , but the cloud couldn’t be bound.

The creature once again resumed human form, and came in our direction with a powerful leap, Maria used some kind of PeVi spell (Demons Eternal Oblivion I suppose) but the creature wasn't fazed at all. It lunged at me, who unfortunately couldn’t do anything, a sudden dizziness taking hold of my head as always happens when I cast, and only the Wizard’s Sidestep spared me from the gout of liquid fire that the creature spat. Maria’s spells continuously had no effect, and for the first time I saw fear in her eyes. Knowing it to be a bad idea I picked the sword that one of the grogs dropped and swung, hitting by nothing but a miracle, and felt when the body of the creature absorbed the attack as if made of metal. It lunged at me again, grappling me with a pair of strong arms despite the protection of my spell. I could feel it’s oily skin and smell it's breath, and when my ribs were on the verge of breaking it hissed and let me go, for what reason I did not knew at the time. Maria’s spells finally got it, stripping it of its might, and it screamed and run, changing into mist.

Maria screamed for the creature to come back and fight. Couldn’t she see it, floating right there? Then it struck me, she couldn’t. I mustered I all could and tried to spontaneously cast Demons’ Eternal Oblivion , once, twice, thrice… while I could still see the creature, until I passed out in exhaustion.

I woke up a few hours later, inside a Circular Ward Against Demons . Maria had already fetched the grogs, who were despairing while trying to exit the regio. All except for Akakios, the largest one, who had tripped and broken his neck while running down the hill. The two survivors had already regained consciousness and bravery.

I helped us exit the regio; Sofia and the others were still waiting, oblivious to what had happened. We returned home with Akakios body, and gave him a proper burial.

Later, Maria Laskarina told me about her suspicions: she thinks the demon we fought was a vrykolakas , a kind of infernal vampire which can cause insanity and fear. It is, however, incapable of directly hurting anyone born on a Saturday; that would explain why it let me go after it had me in it’s grasp. I suppose there are weirder ways to discover the day of the week you were born. It probably took the place of Karia, or one of her relatives, long ago, and had been feeding on the mundanes since them.

January 20th

We have rested. Maria went back to Kritikakis with a flambeau. I think they will set up a watch for a few weeks. The covenant should be protected from infernal influence thanks to our guardian, but the council has agreed that it is better if we refrain from exiting for some time. This works fine for me.

I have written several letters, to Perion, Erastrus, Valerian… I hope he can be bothered to read this one. Since Sofia will also stay with us for now, we are waiting for a friendly Redcap to come and gather them.

I’m also, once more, thinking about my shortcomings. I have nor knowledge nor spells to deal with demons. My defenses if I’m attacked are not bad, but useless against an enemy strong enough. I have no effective ways to help in combat. And of course, my missing arm doesn’t help. If I want to keep investigating I am bound to find more dangerous situations; I need to find someone capable who can protect me and fight with me. All of this must be sorted out sooner or later.

January 31th

I can’t sleep. More than once I’ve woke up in the middle of the night, my back cold with sweat, after dreaming of a dark hunchback figure bent over a corpse, it’s mouth red with blood.

My left arm hurts like crazy.

I can’t put my mind to read or to do laboratory work, so I’ve been translating my laboratory notes for The Enchanted Porter into laboratory texts. I should be able to manage three copies by March.

March 17th

Maria returned a couple weeks ago. She and a group of hoplites have destroyed the stone table inside the regio, and we expect that in due time, the regio itself closes. The magi will keep an eye on the village for a few years to make sure that there is no more danger.

She says that, between my contributions to the covenant and my help in finding the regio, I’m more than eligible to become a polites in the next tribunal. I remind myself that while Thebes is great, there are also dangers.

Advancement:

• Adventure: 7xp
    • 5xp: Second Sight 1 (hermetic magic) → Second Sight 1 (hermetic magic) [5]
    • 2xp: Intellego 12 → Intelego 12 [3] (1.5x due to Affinity w/ Intellego)
  • Lab notes for The Enchanted Porter → 2 copies of lab text for The Enchanted Porter
  • Vis: +1p Aquam, 1p Auram, 1p Ignem, 1p Terram

Design Notes: The Enchanted Porter is a lvl 15 effect. I can write down lab texts from lab notes at a rate of Latin x 20 per season → 80 lvls. Writing from middle of January to middle of March, that’s 3 copies. 1 is staying at Polyaigos, the other 2 are for me.

2 Likes

Great narrative. I like the style and content. :smiley:

1 Like

1203, Spring

March 22th

Finally I lay down my pen, with two brand new copies of the Lab Text for The Enchanted Porter. The last months were easier than I expected, thanks to Sofia. We decided to take now the time to rest, sightsee the islands, and know each other better. After this last winter, I think we deserve it.

We will depart next week in one of the covenant’s merchant ships, and then purchase passages in merchant vessels to travel the Cyclades.

April 10th

The trip has been great so far. We have been staying a few days in each island and then boarding a ship to the next one. We are now thinking seriously of extending our trip up north to the island of Lemnos, and then return south until we reach Alexandria.

April 17th

Today we shall have diner with Memnos of Verditius, the Princeps and shipwright of the covenant of Favonius. The covenant itself is hosted upon a flotilla of enchanted ships. They claim to stay outside major ship lanes to avoid attention, and Memnos was kind enough to show me the nautical charts with they usual courses (of which I understood little, except that they seem to not interact with mundanes too much). Memnos is a great magus, and very proud of his work.

The flotilla was anchored to Andros today (where the shipyard is), and we could talk to the other members. Verecunda, filia Memnos, has shared tales of their voyages to several places, including, to my surprise, Sicily!

I’ve keep an eye open, but they seem to be acting in accordance to the Code (Sofia says I shouldn’t be “working” while on vacation). It’s incredible how far the magi can go when they put their minds to it.

April 20th

Alas, all that is good shall end. While we prepared to leave Favonius a Redcap arrived with a message for me (he was able to find me, he claims, by sheer luck). All available Guernici at the Tribunal are being called to convene in Epidauros, the covenant of the archai , by solicitation of the Council of Magistrates, to advise the council in matters of the interest of the Order. Epidauros is not far from Favonius, and we should be able to arrive in little more than 3 days.

May 01st

Sofia and I have arrived almost a week ago, and since then we have been waiting for the rest of the council to reunite. The council is responsible for administrating the Tribunal issues and usually convenes once on the Tribunal that establishes it, once at mid-term, and again at the Tribunal proper. They reunite today a couple of seasons in advance, and from the words I have been hearing, whispered in the hallways, there seems to be a reason for that.

We have had time to talk with several magi until now, and I was surprised to know how many of them already knew of my involvement in finding the infernal regione in Ios last winter, until I discovered Maria Laskarina had already arrived and was putting up a good word for me.

Around 20 Guernici and Quesitores were present, plus the Council and a few mercere. From these about half had heard of me as a Quaesitor in Normandy, and at least one referred to me as “the one who spit on the face of his master”. If any other Guernici has heard of my troubles with Valerian, they were kind enough to refrain from commenting out loud.

The Mercere bring troublesome news for the Tribunal. It seems that the Fourth Crusade, that started (as the others) to recapture Jerusalem, had somehow shifted it’s intentions. The previous year it had sieged and sacked the city of Zadar, and it was now marching towards Constantinople, pillaging along the way. Preliminary investigations couldn’t assert the reasons for such, and there is possibility of infernal interference.

The Council of Magistrates had reunited the Guernici, Quaesitores and Mercere of Thebes to discuss the future actions of the Tribunal in face of the danger, with the assumption that if nothing was done the main army of the crusaders would arrive Constantinople by the end of the season.

I won’t repeat all of the discussion; the records were sent to Magvillus. I’ll just list the key points:

• The Quesitores are to be divided in two groups: one to ascertain the target of the Fourth Crusade and if there is any infernal or divine interference; one to be dispatched to the covenants of the Tribunal and advise them on what is the danger they are likely to suffer, what are the actions allowed for self protection according to the code, and what is advised, for them to do, both as Quaesitores and as fellow magi;
  • The Redcaps would give full focus on the communications referent to the matter and provide quick transportation to the Quaesitores on duty.
  • Any vis costs incurred would be repaid from the Tribunal coffers.

After that a group of senior Quaesitores from Thebes was dispatched to the location of the Fourth Crusade (between them, Maria Laskarina), and I was reunited with three other Quaesitores and a Redcap to tour the covenants of Thebes. Sadly, Sofia and I were separated, and in her place Celato, an old men with a large beard, joined us. I was, by far, the youngest of our group.

June 10th

I can't say if my sodales are mad or bold.

We quickly departed to the covenants in route of the main army, our group being myself, Ausculator of Guernicus, Laranante of Guernicus, Tisiphon of Tytalus, and Celato of Mercere, the Redcap. We traveled fast using The Glass Submarine, and exquisite construction. I can’t say I don’t understand Catella for wanting to study this thing: it seems almost alive.

However, our travels were met with resistance, to say the least. Oikos tou Eleos and Gigas are covenants completely disconnected from reality. But by far the worse were the Magi from Thermakopolis, a group of Jerbiton residing inside Constantinople.

We adverted them that Constantinople was likely to be besieged and that, while protecting themselves, their covenant buildings or covenfolk was allowed (although dangerous and liable to punishment if they crossed the line) any direct help to the city of Constantinople against the Crusader army, or any attempts to attack, influence or affect the army, would be considered mundane interference. To avoid legal persecutions we advised, as Quaesitores, for the evacuation of the city, at least until it was safer; and to avoid causalities, as fellow magi, we asked them to exit the city and seek refuge: our covenants were open.

None of them heard. Even when we pointed to the fact that the crusader army would arrive before the end of the month. They were sure that no damage will befall the city (and from their tone I suspect that some of them will interfere if there is any risk).

I do hope they are right and nothing happens, but if hope was enough than Guernicus would never had proposed the Oath of Hermes to regulate our actions.

At least I was able to learn something from this. With all the paperwork we had to deal with, during the Council meeting, afterwards, and now, I was finally able to grasp the Greek alphabet.

Anyway, our advice was given. Ausculator invited me to spend some time in his and Tisiphon’s covenant, Hedyosmos. I see no reason to refuse, especially because he is an extraordinary master of Terram. Celato and Laranante will leave us tomorrow, and Celato departs with a letter informing Polyaigos of my destination, and another one to Sofia. In Greek, this time.

Advancement

• Quaesitor 3 [1] → Quaesitor 3 [3] (+1xp for investigation on infernal regio, +1 xp for working on a important mission)
    • Unfilial 1 → Unfilial 1 [1] (+1xp since now almost everyone of Thebes knows)
  • Adventure: 8 xp
    • 5xp: Artes Liberales 1 (rethoric) [5] → Artes Liberales 2 (rethoric) (new alphabet: Greek)
    • 3xp: Intrigue 1 (hermetic politcs) [5] → Intrigue 1 (hermetic politcs) [8]
1 Like

1203, Summer

June 30th

We arrived today at Hedyosmos. The covenant proper is underground, below the ruins of an ancient Greek shrine to the dead. It is a dark place, which matches my mood: we were informed upon arrival that Constantinople was besieged one week ago. As far as the Quaesitores are capable of telling, it is not possible to confirm infernal interference in the army, but there has been an increase in the number of infernal cases on the last months, and on the places where the army passed by. If this is cause or consequence of the Fourth Crusade, time will tell.

I can’t help but wonder if there was anything else we could have done.

July 07th

All the magi from Hedyosmos are, to my surprise, either from House Guernicus or House Tytalus. This baffled me for some time until Tisiphon clarification: House Tytalus predilection for conflict frequently puts them against the Order; House Guernicus defense of the Oath and the law frequently puts them against the Order; sometimes upholding the law generates conflict, and in these cases Guernicus and Tytalus stand together.

I must say I find the idea… disturbing, to say the least. Maybe I’m too young, or too naive.

I haven’t explored too much of the covenant, for all the corridors are labyrinthine and dark, and I’m told that it is not rare to new covenfolk (or new magi) to get lost here.

July 14th

I start to realize that I am not welcome in Hedyosmos. There has been no direct or overt manifestations against me, but my lab is substandard, my food always cold; I try to find my hosts and discuss the hermetic arts, but am always met with apologies, for they are too busy, too involved in lab work, or unavailable otherwise. Tisiphon tells me that this is just a normal day for Hedyosmos, but by carefully inquiring a few of the covenfolk I know that the guests food and laboratory are usually warm; someone is being deliberate in slighting me. The question is: why?

At least the library is not closed to me. I was able to find a tratactus in Latin, titled On the Principles of Quaesitorial Magic, bearing the seal of House Guernicus, and it has accompanied me since my arrival.

August 03rd

In the last days I had the chance to spend some time in the company of Aiakia filia of Ausculator, a maga who must be twice as old as me, but whose face shows none of it. She has told me a bit of the history of Hedyosmos and of the magi here, and I have told a bit about life in Normandy. I have tried inquiring her and discovering why my reception has been… less than agreeable, but either she doesn’t understand, or she doesn’t know, or she is a capable liar.

September 16th

News arrive today: Constantinople was taken. However, it seems that the city was not destroyed, but merely a new emperor was crowned. I hope this is all that the siege entails. I wish not to see Thebes plunged into chaos.

Advancement:

• Tratactus 9xp: Magic Theory 3 (Intellego) [5] → Magic Theory 3 (Intellego) [14]
1 Like

1203, Autumn

September 23th

I decided to bid farewell to Hedyosmos. I don’t know why I’m not well received, but I know that I’m not. Albeit I wanted to take the roads and go by land, I’m alone, and Sofia’s stories of the beasts and fey in the Arcadian Mountains are still fresh in my mind.

I’ve managed to secure a boat, and if all goes well I will be at Polyaigos in two days. My desire is to visit Alexandria and look for Sofia, but that must wait.

September 25th

I have arrived at Polyaigos, and there is not much to do.

I won’t wait.

October 01st

Catella is as bright as ever, and all the Redcaps have received me well. All but Sofia, that roams the Theban tribunal with letters in her bag.

I’m told that Alexandria houses the records of the previous Tribunals. I shall peruse some of them. While it is still a bit hard for me to read Greek, I think I shall gain several insights on the workings of the Order.

November 20th

Much of what I got was in a unsystematic way, in part because of my Greek. However, it was also possible to grasp much of the functioning of the Tribunal of Thebes.

This is a wonderful place, with plenty of vis and civilized people. The cradle of civilization starts here (or so they say). But still, magi are magi, wherever they are, and this realization is both frustrating and revelatory.

All the same cases that we had in Normandy we have here. Accusations of deprivation. Fights for vis. Faerie molestation. All covered by a layer of varnish, but still there under the surface.

Even the way apprentices are treated here does little to protect them. There are less cases where they are killed, molested or damaged; but the core issue doesn’t really changes. They are still cattle; just slightly more valuable cattle.

November 21th

Sofia arrived today. With a letter from Valerian.

I don’t know what to say. Valerian commended me by the fight against the demon, and told me not to be too upset for the failed consultation given to the covenants of Thebes. He also wrote several comments on what could have been enforced according to the Oath of Hermes and the Peripheral Code of Thebes.

No mention was made to the Tribunal of 1200.

November 29th

Sophia feels distant. Or maybe it is me.

Advancement:

• Practice 4xp: Code of Hermes 3 (apprentices) → Code of Hermes 3 [4]
  • Correspondence 1xp: Code of Hermes 3 [4] → Code of Hermes 3 (mundane relations) [5]
1 Like

1203, Winter

December 26th

I’m back to Polyaigos. I’ve received a good sum of vis for the arbitrationes at the covenants (Sofia delivered them to me just before I departed). I’ve spent all of it to secure an extra season of teaching with Nicodemus. Or, to be precise: Ioannes was paid for the trouble of enchanting an item for Nicodemus, and Nicodemus will teach me.

I can’t read any book from here, and I’m not in the mood to read Contra Haereticos or the Analects (two books that remind me of Valerian).

As for my annual vis grant, I asked of whatever was in surplus, and that gave me 2 pawns of Intellego.

January 06th

I have a suspicion, and if it is true, I don’t know if I am to be pissed or amazed.

I’m almost certain that Auscultator and Valerian know each other.

I have been reading and re-reading his letter. It seemed normal, but between the lines there were little jabs against me, here and there. He has not forgiven me. And that got me thinking, what if his arm could reach me in Thebes? Just like when I received all those requests for arbitrations in Cunfin? If so, wouldn’t my time at Hedyosmos be explained?

I will write a few letters to Hedyosmos, thanking them again for the welcome, under the guise of practicing my Greek, and subtly ask about Valerian.

February 20th

I feel like I have finally mastered this language well enough to read a book, but that is the last thing I want to do now. I realized I have not been fair to Sofia, and so I shall travel back to Alexandria to spend the last month of winter.

February 26th

Alas, she works. Of course. I will immerse myself again in the Tribunal records.

March 16th

Sofia returned (and forgave me).

By chance, she brings back letters from Hedyosmos. And I must say I’m not surprised to see Ascultator’s response to a subtle insertion of Valerian’s name: they are, indeed, acquaintances. I don’t know if he asked the magi of Hedyosmos to antagonize me, but that doesn’t really matter. What matters is that he should be able to make things hard to me, even here, if he really wants. Then, is there any reason to stay away from Normandy?

But for now I won’t consider returning. Not for now.

Advancement:

• Teaching 14xp: Classical Greek 3 (Attic) [6] → Classical Greek 4 (Attic)
  • Vis: +2p Intellego

Design Notes: Nicodemus teaching 1 to 1 is 20, but since Regulus was only taught for 2 months this drops to 14 (1 month distraction). The month spent in Alexandria has no mechanical effect (except for making things up with Sofia).

1203 has been a hard year for Regulus, in several ways. And things are NOT about to get better, with the fall of Constantinople approaching...

Hmmm... the usual (house) rule for changing a specialty requires that you increase the score in that ability. Otherwise it implies that he "forgot" some of what he knew about mundane relations as he "learned" (with no xp expenditure in this case) more about apprentices.

So the next opportunity to switch the specialization would be when his Code of Hermes score rises from 3 to 4.

Adjusted. I also use that house rule, just thought it would be (kinda) reasonable given the circumstances. It's no big deal.

1 Like

Question: how are we pricing mundane books? I imagine that Polyaigos has a few books in Greek that would be hard to find in other places (I'm thinking of the works of Aristotle, Plato, Heron and others on Artes Liberales, Philosophiae, Medicine, Theology... maybe something else), and as soon as Regulus realizes he is not going to stay he will commission a few copies (within reasonable bounds). It's also likely that he will keep corresponding with the magi from there and is able to occasionally commission new books and tratactus.

Covenants p. 95 speaks of buying them in pounds. Should I assume 1 mythical pound per summa and order 10 for every pawn of vis? Maybe with a huge lead time, say, it is possible to bring 3 now and expect to receive the other 7 in about 3~4 years?

Simply make a reasonable list and I'll review it. I am not going to track a few pounds of silver.

1 Like