Character Creation for Rafael (OOC)

Don't plan any full-season activities for Winter 1204 (last season before play starts), since this season will probably spent planning the move to and then travelling to Tugurium.

1 Like

Selected entries from Regulus Petraeus journal

1204, Spring

March 20th

I’ve returned to Polyaigos, and for much time library access was both permitted and denied to me; not anymore. I have taken a summa on Magic Theory called Για τη Γλώσσα της Μαγείας ( On the Language of Magic) , written by an Aristotle of Bonisagus about 300 years ago, that explains in much detail why and how magic should be cast in Greek, not in Latin.

April 10th

The more I think about it the more I’m sure: my fate doesn’t lie in Thebes. The realization saddens me, because this is a beautiful place. But at the end of the day I remember the words Maria Laskarina said when I arrived: here you can be just a Guernicus, not a Quaesitor .

I realize I cannot be just a Guernicus, just as a magus cannot live as a mundane.

That is not simple semantics: in Thebes I could live my days as a Quaesitor if I wanted, or as a legal consultant, or as a hoplite (well, maybe not with my arm). But, I came to Thebes both because I thought I could see another face of the hermetic law and because I hopped (being honest with myself) to avoid Valerian until I was stronger, magically and politically. In the end, that was foolish. The Order is the Order, here or in Normandy. Valerian is Valerian. I must be me.

If I ever want to reform the Order, that won’t happen from Thebes, who already thinks itself so advanced; it will happen from it’s heart. Maybe Normandy, maybe Rhine. Anyway, I must go back. And not only that, I must go back and build the connections and reputation that will allow me to fight Valerian in equal grounds. If he is a good hoplite, I must become an excellent Quaesitor. Only in that way I will be able to stand proud even if he disagrees with me.

I realize this is no easy task. It will be a long game. That is good: I will prepare myself step by step. And whatever it takes, I will convince the Order that there is another way to nurture its next generation of magi.

I shall discuss with Maria tomorrow about my exit from Polyaigos, and write a letter to Primus Arliandus informing the house that I intend to leave Thebes. Maybe I should also write to Augustus Nero, who was so kind to point me in this direction. I think I’ll visit Durenmar and explore it’s library for a few seasons, before deciding my next steps.

I still don’t know how I will bring this up to Sofia.

April 11th

I spoke to Maria. She thinks I should stay, but if I need to leave, than I’m free to go whenever I want to: there is no need to rush. I appreciate it. I don’t know how much I’ll stay, but I don’t think I’ll see the next Tribunal in Thebes.

I will tell the rest of the council of my intentions tomorrow morning.

April 28th

Sofia arrived, and cried in my arms: Constantinople has fallen. Will she react in this way when I tell her I must leave?

Am I even allowed to leave in this circumstances, when there is so much to be done?

April 29th

Polyaigos council has reunited in emergency to discuss the future. I tried to withdrawn my intention to leave the covenant, but Maria rejected it, arguing that I’m not bound to Thebes and don’t need to feel compelled to help. Ioannes proposed a motion, and the council voted unanimously: I’m to leave Polyaigos before the summer of 1204. I stormed out of the council room.

Sofia thinks I shouldn’t be mad at Ioannes, Maria and the others. They act out of kindness, not malice. I know, but that is not their decision to make.

She invited me to move to Alexandria and remain in Thebes.

May 17th

Sofia left two weeks ago. I didn't sent my letters yet, torn between staying and leaving.

I’ve been reading Aristotle (the Bonisagus) on the rocky beach.

June 20th

Sofia returned. I asked her to deliver my letters.

I invited her to come with me to Normandy.

She can’t.

Advancement

• Summa 11 xp: Magic Theory 3 (Intellego) [14] → Magic Theory 3 (Intellego) [25]

1204, Summer

June 30th

Sofia will rest in Alexandria this summer, but I cannot bring myself to spend time with her knowing we won’t be together for long.

Rumors are arriving every day about the chaos. It seems that all the covenants in Constantinople were destroyed. According to the accounts, I believe there will be charges of mundane interference against the survivors next year. I can’t say I’m exited about that.

I’ve already forgiven Maria, Ioannes, Empedocles and the others. They are right. Thebes is not my responsibility; I shall leave it in their capable hands. They were also kind enough to arrange a parting gift for me: until I leave they will put two competent scribes under my direction to copy the Greek classics. There are hundreds of works here, that I wouldn’t find anywhere else in Europe. Alas, it is not possible to copy all of them. I asked Ioannes what books would benefit more an uncultured Latin speaker such as I, and he gave a few suggestions.

Ten days ago Sofia brought letters that again, ask for Guernicus and Quaesitores cooperation in settling legal issues, and another one, from the Council of Magistrates to all covenants of the Theban Tribunal, asking them for help with relocating magi and covenfolk from Constantinople and other affected areas. Today I am boarding a ship to the Aegean sea, and from there I shall proceed to the path of destruction that the crusaders left behind. With the letters came 2 pawns of Intellego vis, to compensate for any expenses.

July 13th

I am once more in Favonius. Memnos receives me well, but explains that between pirates, the crusader’s ships and sea creatures, the seas are particularly dangerous these times. Yet, it is also time for profit. Several people, magi and mundane alike, intend to exit Thebes and go to a safer place… or at least, somewhere distant from the destruction. They have made two journeys to the west already and were preparing to sail again: a Quaesitor would be welcome in the ship. I appreciate the offer, but I think it is unlikely that I take it. Since I don’t have much to carry, it should be easier to return through Mercere Portals.

September 16th

I won’t talk about all the things I saw: some scenes are better forgotten.

But I will talk about the breached walls of Constantinople, and of the valiant efforts that mundane and magi were making to salvage what they could, give rest to the injured, food to the hungry, comfort to the dying ones.

And I will talk about the boy.

The first time I met him he was trying to steal my purse, in a refugee camp in a three day walk from Constantinople. A hungry, small, fragile lad around the age of 12 or 13.

The second time I met him he was pinned to the ground by a large man, who tried to take of the boy’s clothes. I’m not proud to say that I killed for the first time that day; I wouldn’t do anything else if the need presented itself again.

He didn’t talk, but through several castings of Posing the Silent Question I was able to determine that his family didn’t survive to the fall. I inquired about his name with magic (Decio), but when I use it he doesn’t respond. Anyway, we are back at Polyaigos now. I realize that there is not much more that can be done, but at the same time I’m anxious about leaving.

I’m still not sure of what I’m going to do with Decio.

Advancement:

• Adventure 10xp:
    • 5xp: Folk Ken 2 (peasants) → Folk Ken 2 (peasants) [5]
    • 5xp: Posing the Silent Question (Mastery 1: Quiet Casting) [5]
  • Vis: +2p Intellego
1 Like

1204, Autumn

September 22th

The boy doesn’t get along with anyone in Polyaigos, except for me.

September 25th

This is to be my last season in Polyaigos, and I don’t know what I should do. My mind drifts to Sofia, but I can’t bear to go after her.

While I examined the lab texts in the library thinking of using this season for laboratory work, Ioannes suggested that I copied a few of my favorite ones. After bringing the matter to Polyaigos council, they agreed that there was no problem in that.

I have chose a suitable list of spells, some that I am not able to learn right now, but soon will, and that should help me in my future Quaesitorial work.

October 01st

Helena and the other kids are sad that I will be leaving in two months.

Helena is specially angry that I’m not spending time with her due to copying the lab texts and the boy.

He still isn’t getting along with the others. The kids scare him (due to the gift, I suppose) and he doesn’t open himself to the mundanes either. The fact that he was caught trying to steal food and a few trinkets from a maid sure doesn’t help.

October 29th

Sofia brought a few letters. Magvillus is aware that I’m returning, and asks for indication of my next covenant as soon as possible.

Augustus Nero sent a response to my letter, informing that if I am returning from Thebes, there is a new covenant that could be a good place for me. I was thinking of traveling the Rhine for a few years, but having a place to stay is good. He has already traded letters with the Princeps of this covenant talking about me, and asks that I pass by Confluensis in the next winter if I feel inclined to accept his offer. I will accept.

Sofia refused to talk to me.

November 5th

Sofia and I met at the rocky beach.

I invited her once more to come with me, and she asked me once more to stay.

I will miss the red skies and the pale blue.

December 15th

Polyaigos delivered me the copied books and an advancement of my yearly quota of vis. Three pawns of Animal, from a recently slain magical beast.

I’m leaving with Sofia for Alexandria, and from there I will leave by the same path I arrived.

The boy is coming with me. Since he doesn’t answer to Decio I’ve decided to call him Argos. Maybe I can teach him how to be a good pair of eyes.

Advancement:

• Exposure 2xp: Artes Liberales 2 (rethoric) → Artes Liberales 2 (rethoric) [2]
  • Laboratory Texts (in greek)
    • Sense the Feet that Thread the Earth (InTe 30)
    • Tracks of the Faerie Glow (InTe 25)
    • Sight of the Molting Magus (InCo 25, HoH:TL p.72)
    • Sight of the Transparent Motive (InMe 10)
    • Perception of the Conflicting Motives (InMe15)
    • Eyes of the Treacherous Terrain (InTe 15)
  • Assorted Books: OOC discussion
    • Physics. Aristotle. Summa on Philosophiae (Natural Philosophy) L6, Q12
    • Metaphysics. Aristotle. 2 Tratactus on Philosophiae Q14, 1 T Pagan Theology Q12.
    • Elementa. Euclid. Summa on Artes Liberales, L4Q9
    • The Odyssey. Homer. Aegean Sea Lore L5Q10. It may also be read (by focusing on particular volumes and chapters) as a Quality 10 tractatus in Faerie Lore, Magic Lore, Leadership, Intrigue, or several different (Area) Lores.

Design Notes

• Copying lab texts at Profession: Scribe X 60. With an specialization in "copying" (which I find questionable tbh, but then, it is cannon in the books...) this is 120 levels of spells.
1 Like

Final list:

From Art & Academe p. 136:

• Metaphysics. Aristotle. 2 Tratactus on Philosophiae Q14, 1 T Pagan Theology Q12.

Custom:

• The Odyssey. Homer. Aegean Sea Lore L5Q10. It may also be read (by focusing on particular volumes and chapters) as a Quality 10 tractatus in Faerie Lore, Magic Lore, Leadership, Intrigue, or several different (Area) Lores.

@Arthur about the list of mundane books I'd like to bring, I'm putting it as a parting gift. Whatever a pair of scribes (Profession:Scribe 5) could copy in 2 seasons (summer and autumn). Each accumulates 6+Profession Scribe per season towards a summa. I'm thinking of the following:

From Art & Academe p. 136:

• Libri Almagesti. Ptolemy. Summa on Artes Liberales (Astronomy) L5Q8

I'm assuming one of them could copy Physics and Elementa in one season (since he could copy a summa up to lvl 11 he can copy 2 totaling lvl 10), an the other could copy Libri Almagesti and another summa, which I will discuss below. If the assumption that more than one summa can be copied per season is not true, I'll gladly revise the list.

Now, for the other summa to be copied on summer. From The Sundered Eagle p. 39:

• The Alexiad. Anna Komnene. Byzantium Lore L5Q10. It may also be read (by focusing on particular volumes and chapters) as a Quality 10 tractatus in Divine Lore, Magic Lore, Leadership, Intrigue, or several different (Area) Lores.

It seems like asking for a lot, because this is actually a summa and several different tratactus, two of which in (Realm) Lore. Also, I'm not sure of how far this would have reached, because it was written in the middle of the 12th century. So, I was actually leaning towards something like this:

It would both be more interesting to Regulus and more likely to exist at Polyaigos library. But it still feels like asking for a lot, since it is still a summa + assorted tratactus (I just changed Divine for Faerie since I think it matches better with the Odyssey).

Would it be ok to have this as one of the summas? If not, is there any change that you would find reasonable so that I can bring The Odyssey home in one season, instead of waiting for several ones (assuming it could be copied in the time taken to copy the summa + the time taken to copy 5 tratactus, for example).

In the second season the scribes would copy Metaphysics together. Each book is actually treated as 3 separate tratactus, so it goes beyond what they could copy... But I'd like to have the complete Metaphysics if possible. =P (And here I am, asking for a lot again.)

If you'd rather not, I'll commission it in the future. Or just drop the Pagan Theology Tratactus.

1204, Winter

December 24th

I am back to Confluensis, four years after my fight with Valerian (and deprived of 3 pawns of Animal by the Mercere). A servant arranged by under orders of Augustus Nero waited for me, and guided me to a guest room where I will stay until we depart. It seems Augustus has been coming and going, with much to do.

I will not have the pleasure of a laboratory while I stay, but there is no problem. I think I will finally take my time to read Contra Haereticos.

Argos is sleeping in my room. I better keep my eyes on him.

From Sofia I bring a letter, written in Greek. I didn’t knew how much I would come to love this language.

February 14th
Contra Haereticos rests upon my table, gathering dust. Augustus asked me to search in Confluensis' library legal section for the current covenant charters, cases of covenant disputes, inter-Tribunal disputes, covenants in the border of Tribunals, legal precedents of neutrality, covenant vagrancy, magi vagrancy... it seems this "new covenant" is going to be a bit more troublesome than what I thought. Between researching, taking notes and comparing charters, I barely have the time to eat.

March 10th

Argos has caused me trouble almost every week.

I have met Augustus a few times.

I have seen Valerian once.

Most of the season was just as I expected.

We shall soon depart to my new home: Tugurium.

Advancement:

• Exposure: Code of Hermes 3 (mundane relations) [5] → Code of Hermes 3 (inter-Tribunal disputes) [7]

That's borderline when copying lab texts. Not a real problem for pre-saga advancement, but no warrantee I will allow it later.

I'm ok with Physics, Metaphysics and The Odyssey. I think you should pick either Elementa or Libri Almagesti instead of taking both.

Augustus will have warned you that joining this new covenant (calling it a Spring covenant is a bit of a stretch) will come with a unique set of challenges, as well as some risk.

Not really. Any reading you do is directed by Augustus. Before you depart for the new covenant with him, he asks you to review the draft of the Charter and find precedents, arguments and supporting situations to defend its more unusual aspects, as well as researching anything about covenants straddling the border of different Tribunals. Take notes about all the relevant information and make a copy of this for Augustus (you will need to keep the originals for later reference).

1 Like

Then Euclid it is (because I like the author more =P). I'll drop Libri Almagesti.

Making the relevant changes to advancements and narrative.

For winter then it is exposure in Code of Hermes, I suppose.

1 Like

I'll put this in Regulus stats topic later:

People:

• Argos
    I intend for Argos to be a mischievous child with a penchant to stealing. With some luck he will become a better man... Probably someone Regulus sends when he needs things done in the dark (mostly steal arcane connections for long range investigations, certainly not a killer). Probably won't be the most liked kid in the covenant.
  • Sofia
    Her story with Regulus ended...ish. I don't see her as the covenant's Redcap, but she could end up appearing again. Maybe Regulus will write her from time to time... but probably not. He doesn't know.
  • Helena and other gifted children
    Same as Sofia.
  • Magi and people from Polyaigos
    Regulus will probably keep in touch with Ioannes and Maria Laskarina.

Valerian

Valerian is not a person. He is a thorn on Regulus' side. A loved thorn, but still a thorn. He will disagree with Regulus' agenda because he thinks it is a personal attack. Regulus intends to build his Hermetic Prestige to the point were he can make himself heard; Valerian will probably try to move things so that Regulus fails or is met with strong opposition. But he (probably...?) won't intervene in serious cases (except for, maybe, trying to put another person to investigate instead of Regulus).

If you want to have a shield grog, Augustus may arrange for a volounteer from Confluensis' turb (or even a recent recruit from his own travels). That grog would accompany you on the trip to Tugurium and stay with you, with Augustus travelling back to Confluensis using teleportation.

Changed exposure when copying to Artes Liberales. I'd rather use a constant set of rules. I'll be going to raise it anyway sooner or later.

About a shield grog: if Regulus is capable of ascertaining that this is Augustus' man, not Valerian's, he would accept. If he is not then he would respectfully decline and try to find someone closer to the new covenant.

Definitively Augustus' man. Leaving the exact origin and skillset up to you (though you really need a competent shield grog to protect Renatus).

1 Like

Simon Le Blanc

Characteristics: Int –1, Per 0, Pre 0, Com 0, Str +1, Sta +1, Dex +2, Qik +2
Size: 0
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (0)
Virtues and Flaws: Covenfolk; Warrior; Affinity with Single Weapon; Covenant Upbringing; No Sense of Direction
Personality Traits: Brave +3, Loyal +2, Overly zealous+1
Reputations: None
Combat:

• Axe & Heater Shield: Init +0, Attack +12, Defense +11, Damage +7
  • Fist: Init –1, Attack +7, Defense +7, Damage +1

Soak: +8 (full metal scale armor)
Fatigue Levels: OK, 0, –1, –3, –5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: –1 (1–5), –3 (6–10), –5 (11–15), Incapacitated (16–20)
Abilities:

• Athletics 3 (running)
  • Awareness 2 (in combat)
  • Bows 2 (short bow)
  • Brawl 4 (punching)
  • Carouse 2 (drinking)
  • Charm 2 (opposite sex)
  • Etiquette 2 (magi)
  • Great Weapon 3 (pole axe)
  • Latin 3 (superior orders)
  • Leadership 1 (intimidation)
  • French 5 (Norman)
  • Order of Hermes Lore 1 (famous magi)
  • Ride 2 (in battle)
  • Single Weapon 5 (heater shield)

Equipment: Axe, Heater Shield, Full metal scale armor, pack containing gear to care for weapons and armor and establish camps when traveling.
Encumbrance: 3 (4)

Simon is the middle son of Geffrey le Blanc, one of the oldest grogs of Augustus Nero. Young and dying to prove himself, when Augustus asked for voluntaries to serve under Regulus he was the first to offer “his name, his cause, his blade, his blood”, as he has put it himself. He expects to, some day, deserve the same level of respect that his father has from the other grogs, and considers a big personal victory that Regulus chose him.

Regulus decision was driven by Argos necessities: someone not too old or bulky (Argus still gets a bit uncomfortable next to large men), who seemed minimally competent and could possibly be a good role model for a young boy.

1 Like

You can add Simon to the Grogs and Covenfolk topic.

A few insights on Regulus' lab:

Regulus first option would be a room in one of the top floors of the manor house, the highest the better. He intends to eventually create an effect that turns walls and ceiling invisible so that he can have unhindered sight of the valley and sky, or to use a InIm + CrIm effect to do that (InIm to detect image outside of the manor structure (similar to the Prying Eyes spell, but turned outwards), CrIm to reproduce it inside of the lab making it appear that it is an open space).

I'm expecting this unhindered sight to give him bonus to both Intellego lab activities and for study totals due to the Study Bonus virtue, but if any of these wouldn't work let me know.

I'm still thinking about a subterranean lab (his second option). Would probably resort to this only if there are no suitable rooms in the manor at all.

Is there anything he should be aware about possible lab locations due to his Second Sight? If there is a suitable regio in the manor he would consider it (also as a second option).

I'm working on stats for Argos and for the familiar Regulus will bind (someday). Is there anything else I should do? Ah, I'll soon update his status on the dedicated topic.

There are several towers that rise higher than the rest of the structure (most of which is no higher than 3 or 4 floors), so one of these would certainly be suitable for what you have in mind. Some are round, others are squarish. Because of the slope, those on the eastern side of the structure probably rise higher relative to the bottom of the valley.

1 Like

Regulus Laboratory

One of the labs is set at the top of a circular tower, 12 paces in diameter. A few windows let in the morning light and the cold mountain breeze. The lab is a bit on the larger side for a laboratory, and Regulus toys for a moment with the idea of using part of the room as his dorm before deciding against it.

He can already picture himself overseeing the valley from a comfortable chair besides one of the windows, a book on his hand. A large magic circle will be engraved on the ground, with Rego Vim effects to make it easier and safer to create spells, and Regulus thinks about making the walls and ceiling invisible to allow for observation of the surrounding area and night sky. The circle would, of course, make it hard to work on anything else. But these are plans for the future.

For now the windows will suffice (he need just move the table a little to the right) or maybe a good table with a crystal orb for scrying. The tower is a bit rustic, but the foundations seem solid enough. Yet he can already see that the morning cold will seep through the rocks, and things could get a little dire on winter. Maybe he will need to ask for Erastrus (or the covenant’s resident Flambeau) for some help with magical heating.

Any proper improvements will have to wait, of course, until he finishes setting up the basic lab.

Tower with 30ft diameter → 710 sq. ft → lab size +1

Size 1, Refinement 0, General Quality 0, Upkeep 0, Safety -1, Warping 0, Health 0, Aesthetics 0

Free Virtue (structure):
Elevated: +1 Aesthetics; +1 Au

Minor Flaw
Defective Heating: –1 General Quality, –1 Upkeep, –1 Health, –1 Aesthetics.

Free Flaw
Basic: –3 General Quality.

Final Laboratory Stats
Size 1, Refinement 0, General Quality -4, Upkeep -1, Safety -1, Warping 0, Health -1, Aesthetics 0, +1 Au

Intended improvements (for reference)

Minor Virtues:
Lesser Feature* (window): +1 Aesthetics; 1 point on an appropriate Specialization (Intellego).
Lesser Feature* (orb): +1 Aesthetics; 1 point on an appropriate Specialization (Intellego).

Major Virtue:
Greater Feature (summoning circle): +2 Aesthetics; 3 points Specializations (spells).

Major Flaw
Greater Focus (summoning circle): –2 General Quality; 4 points among Specializations provided by the Feature (spells)

Free "Major" Structure Virtue (acquired through magic or magic item???)
Invisible walls (simulating Natural Environment): +2 Warping??, +2 Aesthetics; +3 Intellego.

Incorrect assumption. None of the buildings were created using magic.

Elevated is fine. I would stick with +1 Au because the view is still limited to the content of the valley.

See the Covenant Discussions topic for a bit more on the lab guidelines.

1 Like

Edited to take the basic flaw and removed the window virtue for now; it will come in time. Still taking the entire upper floor for Regulus.

I think this is my final iteration for the initial lab. If you would like to include any other flaws, feel free. =]

1 Like

Argos

Characteristics: Int -1, Per +1, Pre 0, Com -1, Str -1, Sta 0, Dex +3, Qik +2
Size: 0
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (0)
Virtues: Covenfolk (free); Light Touch (+1); Puissant Legerdemain (+1); Learn Legerdemain by Mistakes (+1); Dowsing (+1); Independent Study (+1); Eye of Hephaesto (C&G p.71) (+1); Privileged Upbringing (+1); Intuition (+1)
Flaws: Fragile Constitution (-1); Poor Student (-1); Compulsion (stealing) (-1); Fear of large men (-1); Night Terrors (-1) (Gr p.82); Plagued By Supernatural Entity (-3)
Personality Traits: Attached to Regulus +3, Quiet +1, Sociable -1, Afraid of large man +3
Reputations: None
Combat:

• Dodge: Init +2, Attack n/a, Defense +4, Damage n/a
  • Fist: Init +2, Attack +4, Defense +3, Damage -1
  • Knife: Init +2, Attack +5, Defense +3, Damage +1

Soak: +0
Fatigue Levels: OK, 0, –1, –3, –5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: –1 (1–5), –3 (6–10), –5 (11–15), Incapacitated (16–20)
Abilities:

Abilities
  • Artes Liberales 1 (arithmetic)
  • Athletics 2 (jumping)
  • Awareness 3 (adults)
  • Area Lore: Constantinople 1 (safe places)
  • Bargain 2 (the just price)
  • Brawl 2 (dodge)
  • Romaic Greek 5 (demotic)
  • Dowsing 2 (made items)
  • Folk Ken 2 (knowing who is dangerous)
  • Guile 2 (pleading innocence)
  • Legedermain 3+2 (picking pockets)
  • Stealth 2 (from adults)
  • Survival 2 (alone)

Equipment: a small knife
Encumbrance: 0 (0)

Description

Argos is a slim and fragile boy, with cheeks and nose that betray his Greek origins. He is timid, seldom speaks and doesn't seem comfortable near large man. Sometimes he wakes up at night drenched in cold sweat after dreams he not always remember.

Backstory

Decio was born in Constantinople, the son of a wealthy merchant. His first ten years of life were carefree, and he was preparing himself to walk in his father’s footsteps when Constantinople was besieged and fell. His entire family was killed by the crusaders, and he escaped by sheer luck.

The next months were hell. He survived as well as he could, pick-pocketing and filching, until in a certain day he was grabbed by a large, drunk man, who tried to strip him of his clothes. By luck Regulus was close by; before anything worse could happen the man was struck by several pieces of flying debris and stopped moving.

After determining (through a few castings of Posing the Silent Question) that the boy had no family alive and no place to go, Regulus decided to bring him to Normandy, and then to Tugurium. Since the boy doesn't answer to his old name, Regulus has decided to call him Argos, after the greek giant Argos Panoptes.

The boy has, sadly, a penchant for stealing, and more than once has been caught with things that don't belong to him (usually food, but in one occasion, a very nice ivory comb from one of the grogs from Confluensis). Any admonition from Regulus had, so far, no effect.

On the road to Tugurium, Regulus' retinue travelled for a couple of days with a group of wanderers. One of them, however, was a member of the good people in disguise, and after being tricked in a small game against Argos the faerie decided to keep a closer eye on the boy. The objective of the faerie is to make Argos a "trickster" in a faerie story.

Argos looks up to Regulus for protection and safety. He understands that the magus expects him to better himself, but he has no idea how he could become better in the eyes of someone that can read minds and control rocks. For now, he is comfortable stealing fruits and pies from the kitchen when the cook is distracted.