Character Creation for Rafael (OOC)

Correct spelling is Legerdemain (Leger de main is French for "light-handed").

Looks fine to me.

1 Like

I do speak French (poorly), but I had never noticed that.

Thanks for the correction.

According to HoH:TL p.61, every Quaesitor must carry a letter signed by the Primus of House Guernicus, which declares them to be a Quaesitor in good standing. This letter must be less than seven years old to be valid. A Quaesitor has no authority without this document and cannot demand cooperation in investigations or preside at Tribunal.

Story idea: Regulus completed his Gauntlet in 1199 and received his letter shortly afterward. He must receive a new letter in 1206 or he will no longer be considered "in good standing". What happens if his letter fails to arrive? Is it Valerian interfering again, or is there some other reason for this? :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I hate that I love this idea.

Below the stats for the two veterans proposed on the Table Talk topic.

Otto

Personality: Loyal +3, Respectful +2, Brave+1

Stats

Characteristics: Int 0, Per 0, Pre –1, Com –1, Str 0, Sta +1 (1), Dex +2 (2), Qik +2 (2)
Size: 0
Decrepitude: 1 (2)
Warping Score: 0 (0)
Virtues and Flaws: Covenfolk; Warrior; Puissant Leadership; Disfigured (burn scar in the face); Dutybound (serve Leonardus and his lineage)
Personality Traits: Loyal +3, Respectful +2, Brave+1
Reputations: Good Leader +2 (with his men)

Abilities:

• Lower Lorraine Lore 4 (monsters)
  • Tugurium Lore 2 (monsters)
  • Awareness 5 (in combat)
  • Bows 5 (longbow)
  • Brawl 3 (kicking)
  • Carouse 3 (with fighting friends)
  • Folk Ken 1 (magi)
  • Great Weapon 5 (pole axe)
  • Guile 2 (getting extra rations)
  • Leadership 3+2 (in combat)
  • Low German 5 (flemish)
  • Order of Hermes Lore 3 (grogs)
  • Single Weapon 8 (heater shield)
  • Stealth 3 (when armored)
  • Survival 1 (when in a group)
  • Thrown Weapon 4 (knife)

Equipment: Shortsword, Heater Shield, Metal reinforced leather, pack containing gear to care for weapons and armor and establish camps when traveling.
Encumbrance: 3 (3)

Background

The informal leader of the veteran fighters of Tugurium, Otto worked many years for Leonardus and learned to respect an love the wizard. A pilum of fire to the face about two decades ago almost took his life, but he managed to survive thanks to magical healing and a bit of luck. After receiving the task of keeping the building site of Tugurium safe, Otto has been fully dedicated to the task, but the years and the lack of direction have taken his toll on him. He is happy to finally have the Heir of Leonardus here to take care of things.

Appearance

An old man with a balding head, a large burning scar on the right side of his face contorts his mouth in a permanent grimace.

Advancement Log
Notes and Details
Combat Stats

Combat:

• Shortsword & Heater Shield: Init 0, Attack +14, Defense +15, Damage +5
  • Kick: Init –2, Attack +6, Defense +5, Damage +3

Soak: +5 (metal reinforced leather)
Fatigue Levels: OK, 0, –1, –3, –5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: –1 (1–5), –3 (6–10), –5 (11–15), Incapacitated (16–20)

Design Notes: Uses "The Grizzled Veteran" template, adding Puissant Leadership and Disfigured, and changing the personality flaw to Dutybound.

Gregor, "the Young One"

Gregor, "the Young One"

Personality: Loyal +3, Cheerful +2, Brave+1

Stats

Characteristics: Int –1, Per 0, Pre +1, Com +2, Str 0, Sta +1, Dex +2, Qik 0
Size: 0
Decrepitude: 0 (0)
Warping Score: 0 (0)
Virtues and Flaws: Covenfolk; Warrior; Privileged Upbringing; Poor Hearing; Weakness (alcohol)
Personality Traits: Loyal +2, Cherfull +2, Brave+1
Reputations: None

Abilities:

• Castillon Village Lore 3 (taverns)
  • Athletics 3 (running)
  • Awareness 2 (in combat)
  • Bargain 4 (warm beds)
  • Brawl 4 (punching)
  • Carouse 3 (making friends)
  • Charm 3 (opposite sex)
  • Etiquette 2 (magi)
  • Folk Ken 4 (simple people)
  • Great Weapon 1 (pole axe)
  • Guile 2 (avoiding duties)
  • High German 4 (swiss)
  • Low German 5 (flemish)
  • Single Weapon 5 (heater shield)

Equipment: Shortsword, Heater Shield, Metal reinforced leather, pack containing gear to care for weapons and armor and establish camps when traveling.
Encumbrance: 3 (3)

Background

Gregor had a good education when young, but since arriving at Castillon he has been laxing on his training. Treated by the other veterans as "the younger guy", he is well liked by them and is usually the one who arranges for supplies and daily necessities.

Appearance

A cheerful guy, a bit on the larger side, with a wide and square face.

Advancement Log
Notes and Details
Combat Stats

Combat:

• Shortsword & Heater Shield: Init -2, Attack +11, Defense +10, Damage +5
  • Fist: Init -3, Attack +7, Defense +5, Damage +0

Soak: +5 (metal reinforced leather armor)
Fatigue Levels: OK, 0, –1, –3, –5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: –1 (1–5), –3 (6–10), –5 (11–15), Incapacitated (16–20)

Design Notes: Uses "The Standard Soldier" template, shifting the abilities and characteristics around for a more socially oriented fighter. Adds Privileged Upbringing (used to pay for High German) and Poor Hearing.

The grogs of Tugurium only have Metal reinforced leather as their armor. No chain mail or metal scale armor.
Weapons are mostly short swords, spears and a few short bows.

The specialties and equipments are at odds with the combat section that is listed below the Reputations (which makes me inclined to say that section shouldn't be there).

Any effects of aging for Otto?

Men, we are starting low. =9
Ok. I'll let you know when I have adjusted the equipment. And I probably let something pass when changing equips and specialities, I'll double check as soon as possible.

About aging effects for Otto, it seems that Presence and Communication have each dropped by one (I think this is the only way to make his decrepitude score work). His stats where copy & paste from the book (except for messing with his equipment a bit).

The issue with the equipment isn't just about wealth, it is also about appearances vs the mundanes. If it looks like it is too heavily armed and defended, that might not be perceived kindly by the local nobility. So Leonardus deemed it preferable to keep a relatively low profile. After all, the grogs were mostly there to prevent common brigands away.

Could you check again? I think it's all good now.

Would the Telsberg (or any other noble around) have a problem with the grog weapons, though? AFAIK the covenant position isn't defensible and we don't have horses, so the grogs pose no real threat to anyone.

You can be sure that this is the first issue Otto will bring to the eyes of Clusius. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: If he could somehow secure the rights to bear better weapons in this visit, it would help the turb to protect the manor against said brigands, and worse. He has heard rumors of nasty things in these mountains...

Nastier than a flambeau and his drake buddy? :stuck_out_tongue:

Who do you think he wants to protect himself against? :laughing:

I mentioned before the interest in a hedge wizard with Whistle Up the Wind (from HoH:S, p. 105). How would this interact (if it would, at all) with an animal form (specifically a bird)? I'm thinking of going ahead with the concept, but also grabbing shapechanger or skinchanger.

If preferable I can also stay away from WUtW.

If the power was connected to the form of a bird, I think it would be flavorful for the power to be stronger as a bird while weaker in human form. Something like special circumstances (while a bird) paired with deleterious circumstances (on solid earth, or in human form).

For thinking about the interactions given a bird can’t really whistle β€” I’d say it either has a birdsong equivalent (so the Communication + Music roll would stay the same) or that the bird controls their WutW by controlled flapping of their wings, so the control roll would instead be Dexterity + Athletics. I suppose a third option is to say one can’t use WutW in an animal form that can’t whistle, but I think that’d be silly for a bird to be unable to use wind based powers. Any option makes sense to me

Birds can definitely whistle, a lot of birds are better at whistling than humans.

IMO, if you can whistle, you can use whistle up the wind, so any animal form that can whistle should work.

Note that while in animal form, your stats change to that animal, so you are better off taking an animal that has Music, so one that has Vocal quality.

From the Animals of Mythic Europe file, these animals have the Vocal quality:
Some dogs
Grouse
Lion
Magpie
Peacock
Raven
Sparrow
Whale
Wolf

You don't need Music to Whistle up the Wind. It's a Stam+WutW roll.

1 Like

Sounds good to me on animals whistling. In my initial comment I wasn’t referring to the Stamina + Whistle Up the Wind roll used to create wind, but the Communication + Music roll that’s needed to change, diminish, or end a given wind effect. However, that’s moot since birds can whistle, so that should stay the same regardless.

My bad, I missed that. But yeah, would still have access to the Music skill.

1 Like

Selected entries from Regulus Petraeus journal

1205, Spring

Spring Summary

• I’ve finally arrived at Tugurium and met my fellow magi. A bunch of interesting men. The princeps of the covenant, Clusius, seems to have been shoved into his position, much to his chagrin.
  • I tried to convince my sodales to change our charter, giving more rights to apprentices, but met a dead end. Maybe they will be convinced in due time. I must be firm.
  • A few days after arriving I left, back to Confluensis. If last season my task was to understand the legal standing of a covenant in the fringes of Tribunals, now my aim was to grasp the relations between the covenants in Normandy from the last cases. This will help us decide if we should join Normandy or not.
  • My conclusion is that Normandy is a mess.
  • While I researched, Simon and Argos practiced the sword. I need to teach them both how to speak Latin.

Advancement

• Exposure: Code of Hermes 3 (inter-Tribunal disputes)[7] β†’ Code of Hermes 3 (inter-Covenant disputes)[9]

1205, Summer

Summer Summary

• I returned to Tugurium by foot, which took me almost one entire month. I stayed in a few covenants, offering to trade with the books and spells in Tugurium and probing my sodales from Normandy on their stance regarding apprentice rights.
  • Upon returning, in the rest of the season, I helped myself to a fine Intellego summa. Reading it in the covenant library is strangely calming.

Advancement:

• Intellego summa L18 Q12:
    • 12xp: Intellego 12 [3] β†’ Intellego 13 [2]

Note 1: Assuming the covenant's library merits the benefit of Study Bonus for Intellego. If anyone disagrees I'll adjust the total. Settled that it doesn't. But he is still studying in the library. His lab is cold. XD
Note 2: Study total is reduced by 1/3 due to the lost month, but it’s then increased by 1/2 due to Affinity. The end result is that the value is preserved (12 * 2/3 * 3/2 = 12).

1205, Autumn and Winter

Autumn and Winter Summary

• Escaping from the cold of my tower, I found myself again and again in the library.

Advancement (Autumn):

• 18xp: Intellego 13 [2] β†’ Intellego 14 [6]

Advancement (Winter):

• 18xp: Intellego 14 [6] β†’ Intellego 15 [9]
1 Like

ArM5 p.49 lists "at least one book on each of a dozen mundane subjects (Intellego)" for an Art score of 15. The current library's only "mundane" subject is Magic Theory.

I'd say the library falls short.

1 Like