Character Creation for Red-Shadow-Claws

@RafaelB @Arthur
A question that crossed my mind. If Celeste wanted to make Lencor bigger, which Form would it be? Animal, because he's a big dog-like creature? Vim because he's a faerie? Mentem because that's the Form he derives his Might from?

I think Animal. He is not made of mental matter, neither of pure magical energy.

1 Like

Well... he is made of glamour... So technically he is made of energy :stuck_out_tongue:

But Alba had to smell him after rain, and she is pretty sure that he is made of dog hair as his base material :pensive:

Animal. Faeries are affected by the Form which corresponds to their apparent shape. That is the power of glamour, which manifests their body into the corresponding Form.

1 Like

@Arthur This will appear in the return letter to Quitus Clusius in an in-character way, but what Celeste would ask for a Lab is:
Size +1
Dedicated building
Elevated
Lesser Focus (Mirror)
Basic
Decaying
Haunted (I expect this to come from her mother's ghost)

They'll do their best, but some of the requirements are incompatible for the covenant as it currently exists.

So she'll have to choose betwen Dedicated Building and Elevated, since none of the independent buildings are 4 stories high.

The Lesser Focus flaw isn't something the covenant can install for her, since it requires the existence of a Lesser Feature, but the raw materials she will need to add those can be provided.

Decaying isn't really something appropriate, since the lab will have just been set up for her. The covenant wouldn't have selected shoddy furnishings and materials.

As for Haunted, Celeste carries that with her. :wink:

So we would end up with: Size +1, Dedicated Building or Elevated (0), Basic (0), Haunted (-1).

I will select a Minor Virtue to complete the lab, if you want. Let this be a surprise when she arrives. :slight_smile:

טsorry, it was meant to be Lesser Feature (Mirror)

Yes, I thought that may be the case. Trying to find some reason why a "grand and ornamental silvered
mirror or other reflective surface
" would already be there at the covenant.

I am coming up blank, which is why I think it might be easier to say that they've ordered the mirror, but it will take some time before it arrives and can be installed.

Ok, sounds good

Am considering doing an original spell in Winter 1205, at the guest labs in Durenmar. Is that allowed? If so, I will post the spell idea here for consideration before adding it to the roll of seasons.

I think that you mean 1205 :slight_smile:
And im also interested... i still have 2 spells to learn after all ^^!

1 Like

It is allowed, as a lab project (no lab text to help).

This is the spell Celeste would like to research

Bargain of the Damaged Ghost
PeMe20
R: Eye, D: Bargain/Mom, T: Ind
Like all spells of Bargain Duration, this spell is cast immediately after the caster strikes a bargain with a ghost, and only takes effect if the target breaks his part of the bargain. If it should come to pass that the target of this spell breaks the agreement within a year of the date when the deal was made, the ghost will lose 10 points of Might.
(Base general, +3 Bargain)

While the spell has +3 from Bargain, the general spell Lay to Rest the Haunting Spirit used R: Sight, and here it was reduced to R: Eye.

The lost Might wasnt the same as the spell level? (so, losing 20 instead of just 10)

You mean the general spell uses R:Voice, right?

The math of the spell seems solid. What about her lab total? If I'm tracking right:

Mentem 15+ Perdo 7+ Perdo (focus) 7+ MT (mentem) 4 + Aura 3 + Int 2 + Similar Spell 1 = 39

Only at R:Voice.

This is a base 10, changed to R:Eye (dropping the level to 5) and increased to bargain, for final 20. But it damages as base 10.

1 Like

The General spell is Base general, with Sight, Mom, and Ind. And the Might lost is equal to spell level. Because the parameters changed, I think it is only 10 Might lost, but, the upside is that once cast, if the ghost breaks the bargain within a year, I don't need to be near it to activate this, and the spell enjoyes double the penetration, so with my casting total of +30, and Penetration 2 (specialty in Mentem, so another +1), I can affect a ghost up to Might 26+ 2*(die roll), so easily a Might 30 Ghost, unless I roll a 0, or a botch.

1 Like

She will do this development at the Nocturnal Lab Routine (as per Covenants), which adds +2 to Lab Total.

2 Likes

And whats the benefit to be able to penetrate so much if your Might damage is so low that basically means nothing?
Maybe a ReMe to generate the compulsion to the ghost to return to you and plead would be more useful (and will actually let you know if the ghost was a traitor).

Losing 10 Might even for a Might 30 Ghost is significant, first of all.
And second, I can later, when I up my Perdo, develop a more powerful version, that will destroy more Might, and this spell will give me a +4 similar spell bonus to do so.

1 Like