Character Creation

Let's hear your character ideas!

I'd like to start the game with experienced magi, about 20-30 years post-gauntlet (I'll be playing one at gauntlet +28 years). I have no preconceived notions about houses etc. - all I ask is that they would have some interest in the Order of Odin.

Also: companions! I'd like to have a fair bit of mundane interaction, so companion characters are going to be at least as important as magi.

For birth date purposes, this saga will kick off in 1245, so it's somewhat later than a standard saga, though not enough to seriously affect the game.

Which character creation system do we use? Detailed? Extrememy detailed? A mix like extremely detailed post gauntlet?
What about trading (like longevity ritual? Items, both magical and of quality?
What about available resources like vis/year, books covenant, labs?
What about initiation into mysteries?
Is there a language preference (apart from Latin)?
How do we handle virtues like elementalist, and book learner?
Can we have apprentices, familiars a talisman?
Do we create in intervals (to avoid optimizing the order of creation by putting all the lab seasons at the end)? if yes, 3, 5, 10 or 15 year intervals?
what about warping?

Bleah, you're right. I didn't put enough detail into my opening post.

As a principle, I'm much more interested in having interesting characters than the specific process used to create them. I guess if I have one request, it would be 'pick a concept and build your character to match, rather than create one who's mechanically optimised for whatever you think I'm going to throw at you'. In almost all cases, the Rule of Fun trumps the others.

HO-kay, your specific points, one by one:

I actually had to look up what these terms meant, which speaks volumes about the amount of thought I gave the issue, doesn't it? I'd definitely go for detailed generation, and extremely detailed if you think you'd enjoy it more that way. My own magus is one I've played in a previous saga, so he'll be a mix of the two. You might like to do detailed creation until the character arrives at their new covenant (within the last 5-10 years) and use the extremely detailed rules after that. For companions, obviously I'd recommend straight-up detailed creation unless one of the templates just cries out 'play me!'.

Not sure. I don't really want to set a firm rule on this if I can get away with it. Partly this is just me being lazy, and partly it's for setting reasons. Scottish magi tend to be insular and clannish to their coven-mates, but fractious and paranoid toward outsiders. Self-sufficiency is a pretty big deal, but favours and other things do get traded among coven-mates, by Verditius and Tremere, within mystery cults, etc.

I'll make you a deal. If you create a trading partner and give your character a virtue or flaw relating to that character, you can trade stuff with them. That way you get your impressive item/longevity potion/whatever and I get another character to insert that I didn't have to spend time detailing. Can't say fairer than that.

To keep things relatively simple, assume the usual rules until you decide the character arrives at the covenant, then assume any amount of vis is available (brought with them, if necessary), but their other resources are limited to what is decided in covenant creation.

Initiation takes a season. If there's an example script, use that and take any flaws it gives you, or create your own (and let me know what it is, and who this little-known mystery cult are!). If the script involves more than a single season of service, creation of an item or talisman etc. then you have to take time out to do that.

Exampli Gratia: Verditius Elder Runes involves a season of travel and the creation of a major magical item. The season of travel is covered in the 'takes a season' requirement, but at least two seasons will need to be spent creating the required item as well.

13th century Scotland is a polyglot place. You've got Gaelic in the north and west, Scots (which I'm willing to treat as a sub-type of English, maybe with some penalties where appropriate and/or fun) in the south-east, Flemish in the burghs, French among the nobility and (west) Norse in the Isles and Caithness. Here's a handy-dandy graphic that shows some rough linguistic divisions.

Of course, that's before you factor in magi who might have come from anywhere in Europe. In my most recent saga, I had characters who spoke Greek, Italian, Hungarian, German and Breton, and not all of them shared a common language. We instituted a colour-coding system to show which languages were being spoken at what times, which I'll carry over here.

If you want to curry favour by keeping things as simple as possible for me, then your character comes from somewhere in the British isles, and their native language is English or Gaelic. Otherwise, let me know where they came from and why they're here, and I'll be happy to include them.

Again, this came up last saga. We decided the average source quality for XP was about 8, so the elementalist character spent his XP eight points at a time, then added a point to each of the other relevant Arts.

Um... Er... Jeez. I'm not sure, but I'm inclined to go with something similar to the above. Take Academic and Magical Abilities, Arts and anything else likely to have been learned from books, divide the number of XP in each by eight, and for each multiple, add another 3 XP. It's kludgey, but it's the best solution I can come up with off the top of my head.

I don't know about you, but I love playing around with the character advancement systems. I plan to start off with all three, plus a bunch of magical items my Verditius has made.

I tend to do things this way. I like to almost RP it - doing lab work when I think a character would want to, rather than when it's necessarily mechanically optimal. I suggest figuring out the things your magus wants to do, then having them take a season of lab work as soon as they're feasibly capable of doing one of them. If it's going to take 15 seasons to create a spell, don't spend that amount of time doing it unless you think your magus is actually that pathologically bloody-minded.

The RAW say 2 warping points per year post-gauntlet. This really doesn't reflect my experience in play, though YMMV, of course. I'm comfortable with giving a gauntleted magus 1 warping point per year, to represent long periods without any warping followed by a botch that gives them a bunch of points at once. Once their longevity ritual kicks in, this goes up to the usual 2 points per year. Your magus goes into Twilight when (and if) you decide it's appropriate. Me, I like Twilight scars - I love the interesting little quirks they give magi - so I'll probably have it happen at least once.

In all cases, the main rule is Don't Be A Dick. Your freedom to exploit the rules ends right at the point when it makes the game less fun for the other participants. If you think that a particular aspect of your character might do this, then it's probably better not to do it. When in doubt, post and ask!

Morphiste ex Miscellanea (at Gauntlet)
Short history:
Apprenticed by her mother, a shapeshifter who was killed by Bjornaer magi.
Joined the order to destroy the house (using intrigue).
Introduced into the order by a maga of Pralix line, but taught herself hermetic magic.

Plans for the near future: Quickly make a longevity ritual, gain a positive reputation, observe House Bjornaer (improve Order of Hermes Lore and Codex of Hermes), improve Parma

Virtues/Flaws (house virtues and flaws in brackets)
(3 restriction: cannot cast spells on non-magical animals, including Bjornaer in Heartbeast form, at all, except on himself)
3 Driven (sabotage house Bjornaer)
1 busybody
3 dark secret: plans to destroy House Bjornaer
1 Hedge Wizard
1 Unimaginative Learner
1 Ability block: Martial abilities

( 3 shapechanger)
(1 affinity with muto)
1 puissant shapeshifting
1 bound tongue (see HoH: MC, Bjornaer)
1 subtle magic
3 life-linked spontaneous magic
1 Pack Leader
1 improved characteristics
1 book learner
1 Venus blessing

Int 2 Pe 0
Pr 1 Com 2
Sta 2 Str 0
Quk 0 Dex 0

Early Childhood (Year 1-5: 45xp + Language)
Shapeshifter 1 (bear) +2 (forms: Bear)
Native Language Gaelic (telling stories) 5
Guile (shapeshifting) 3
Area Lore Scottish Islands (animals) 1
Charm (old men) 1
Awareness (alertness) 1

Childhood (years 6-18): 195xp
Carouse (staying sober) 2
Charm (old men) 2
Awareness (alertness) 2
Chirurgy (binding wounds) 1
Concentration (shapechanging) 3
Etiquette (nobility) 2
Intrigue (nobility) 4
Leadership (political) 2
Shapechange (bear) 4+2 (Bear, salmon, falcon, cat)

Apprenticeship at (19-33): 240xp (115xp skills + 125xp arts), 120 lvls spells
Magic Theory (Creo) 3
Parma (Mentem) 1
Latin (Hermetic) 4
Artes Liberales (Ceremonial Casting) 1
Order of Hermes Lore (House Bjornaer) 1
Profession Scribe (diligent) 1
Code of Hermes (Wizard’s Marches) 1
Medicine (physcician) 1
Philosophy (Ceremonial Casting) 1

Skills (alphabetical): Area Lore Scottish Islands (animals) 1, Artes Liberales (Ceremonial Casting) 1,
Awareness (alertness) 2, Carouse (staying sober) 2, Charm (old men) 2, Chirurgy (binding wounds) 1, Concentration (shapechanging) 3, Etiquette (nobility) 2, Guile (shapeshifting) 3, Intrigue (nobility) 4, Latin (Hermetic) 4, Leadership (political) 2, Magic Theory (Creo) 3, Medicine (physcician) 1,
Native Language Gaelic (telling stories) 5, Order of Hermes Lore (House Bjornaer) 1, Parma (Mentem) 1, Philosophy (Ceremonial Casting) 1, Profession Scribe (diligent) 1, Shapechange (bear) 4+2 (Bear, salmon, falcon, cat)

Arts:
Cr 8
Mu 8
Co 7
He 6
Me 2
Vi 6

Spells:
Purification of the festering wounds (CrCo20)
Hand of Hippocrates (CrCo20, +9 recovery from diseases)
Preternatural Growth and Shrinking (MuCo20)
Doublet of Impenetrable linen (MuHe20, cf. Doublet of Impenetrable Silk MuAn20)
Disguise of the new visage (MuCo15)
The call to Slumber (ReMe10)
Wizard’s Sidestep (MuIm10)

Notes (further development): I’ll assume 8xp for a season, 2xp for a lab season, I’ll use as many books as possible (I have not yet used the virtue Book learner for calculations up to gauntlet). I assume that a standard lab is available at no cost (unrealistic, I know, but “no cost” means favours repaid with adventure seasons). I will have to produce all the vis myself.

Power/abuses: The character’s virtues and flaws are chosen in a way that is powerful (Life-linked spont. Magic and shapechanger are very powerful virtues). The dark secret virtue can easily become another major story virtue (e.g. feud, enemies). Choosing muto as an affinity is weak, but in character.
The skills are chosen in a way that focuses a lot on social skills (etiquette, intrigue, guile), for which players in pbp-games usually do not roll dice but just roleplay them: To balance this, I made my maga start her apprenticeship late. Her spells are useful (except the disease-healing spell).
Morphiste is very social (positive presence/com + venus blessing + leader + social skills), but also a good fighter for a freshly gauntleted maga (using bear shape against magi and the shrinking spell against mundanes. She can turn into a falcon and run when a monster shows up).

Looks good.

And thus meets with my approval.

I actually tend to roll the dice on my side and adjust GMC reactions accordingly. I'll post my working when I do this.

Her motivation to destroy house Bjornaer actually works quite well for some themes I've got planned as the saga develops. Kudos on your ability to read my mind over the net!

Keythleen maga(us) Bonisagus

Virtues and flaws
1 Puissant Vim
1 Affinity with Vim
1 skilled parens
3 Major Magical focus: magic (detection, manipulation, destruction, transformation of)
1 Hermetic prestige (his ability to manipulate magic at his will)
0 Puissant Magic Theory (free)
1 Affinity with Magic Theory
1 Apt Student
1 cautious sorcerer
-3 favors (parens)
-1 limited parma magica (imaginem)
-3 driven (rituals without vis)
-1 motion sickness
-1 magical animal companion (his future familiar, some kind of king of the magical crows [ReVi like])
-1 travestite (she is a female but acts as a man)

Characteristics
Int 3, per 2, com 1, pres -2, dex -2 str -2 quick 0 sta 3

Age 5 : spotted by his parens

Scottisch lore (geography) 1 (5)
Gaellic (discussion) 5 (75)
Brawl (dodge) 2 (15)
Guile (elaborated lies) 2 (15)
Nobility lore (scotts) 1 (5)
Awareness (alertness) 1 (5)

Age 9 : his parens took him to a college to teach him latin and artes liberals before opening his arts [if any magus discovered him, his parens could take him as a bonisagus]
Latin (hermetic terms) 4 (50)
Artes Liberales (ceremonial casting) 1 (5)
Philosophiae (ceremonial casting) 1 (5)

Age 24 : end of gauntlet (+300 px and 150 levels of spell)
Magic Theory (inventing spells) 6 (120) +2 ; -80px
Parma Magic (Vim) 1 (5) ; -5px
Penetration (Vim) 1 (5); -5px
Concentration (maintening spells) 1 (5); -5px
Arts:
Vim 15 (120)+3 ;-80px
Rego 10 (55); -55px
Muto 10 (55); -55px
Perdo 5 (15); -15px

Spells:
“Aegis of the heart” ReVi 50 Ritual
“Opening the intangible tunnel” ReVi 50 (arc, diam)
“Maintening the demanding spell” ReVi 50 (touch, moon) : maintains a spell which level is less or equal to 40 with a “concentration” duration to a “moon” duration.

Age 29; 5 years post gauntlet +150px (+1/6 due to apt student [+5 when teached]) = 175px
Magic Theory (inventing spells) 8 (180) +2 ; -40px
Parma Magic (Vim) 4 (50) ; -45px
Penetration (Vim) 3 (30); -25px
Concentration (maintening spells) 3 (30); -25px
“Personal Ward against demons” ReVi 40 (touch, conc) : protect against demons with might less than 45

Age 34; 10 years post gauntlet +150px (+1/6 due to apt student [+5 when teached]) = 175px
Magic Theory (inventing spells) 9 (225) +2 ; -30px
Order of Hermes Lore (bonisagus) 1 (5); -5px
Code of hermes (marchs) 1 (5); -5px
Rego 12 (78); -23px
Corpus 10 (55); -55px
Vim 17(153)+3 ; -22px
“Wizard’s communion” MuVi 25
“The Call to slumber” ReMe 10

Age 39; 15 years post gauntlet +150px (+1/6 due to apt student [+5 when teached]) = 175px
Obtaining his first Longevity ritual from a skilled potion maker his parens paid for him. -10px
Magic Theory (inventing spells) 10 (275) +2 ; -33px
Rego 14 (105); -27px
Perdo 9 (45); -30px
Muto 14 (105); -50px
Vim 19 (201)+3; -25px

Age 44; 20 years post gauntlet +150px (+1/6 due to apt student [+5 when teached]) = 175px
Magic Theory (inventing spells) 11 (331) +2 ; -37px
Vim 20 (212)+3; -7px
Perdo 10 (55) ; -10px
Intellego 12 (78); -78px
Creo 2 (3); -3px
“Sayan’jin’s Teleport” ReCo 40 (touch): as “the leap of homecoming”

Age 50; 26 years post gauntlet +180px (+1/6 due to apt student [+5 when teached]) = 210px
Magic Theory (inventing spells) 12 (401) +2 ; -47px
Rego 15 (120) -15px
Creo 10 (55) -52px
Perdo 11 (66) ; -11px
“wind of mundane silence” PeVi 50 – dispelling spells and Parma (x5) less than (50+stress die (no botche))
“Circular ward against demons” ReVi 35 (touch, conc, circle): ward against demons with infernal might less than 40.

Age 53; 29 years post gauntlet +90px (+1/6 due to apt student [+5 when teached]) = 105px
Binding his familiar (ReVi labtotal: 55 vs 25+might15 (?) +5x (size -2?) = ok) Cords: bronze 2 (15), silver 1 (5), gold 3 (35) Familiar’s Int is 0 now.
Creating a “staff of destruction of magic” (iron staff (20) with a basalt stone (4) and a rowan branch (4)) – invested device opened with 28 pawns (ok: MT is 14 so can use 28 pawns per season))

• investing a “Perdo Vim effect against all kind of magic”.
    The spell is PeVi 60 (general fixed at 50, voice) – dispels all magic which level is less than (70+stress die, divided by 2)
    Effect: illimited uses +10, usable by me +3
    Total level 73
    Cost : 8 pawns /28 ok

Labtotal is 14 (MT) +0 (familiar) + 3 (aura) +3 (int) +4 (staff: destroys things at a distance) +3 (basalt : perdo) +4 (rowan: protection against malicious magic) +23 (vim) + 11 (perdo) +11 (focus) +10 (similar effect with “wind of mundane silence) = 86

First season add +13 Familiar gains MT (Vim) 0 (2) => labtotal is 87; total is 13
2d season add +14 Familiar gains MT (Vim) 0 (4) => labtotal is 87; total is 27
3d season add +14 Familiar gains MT (Vim) 1 (6) => labtotal is 88; total is 41
4th season add +15 Familiar gains MT (Vim) 1 (8) => labtotal is 88; total is 56
5th season add +15 Familiar gains MT (Vim) 1 (10) => labtotal is 88; total is 61
6th season add +15 Familiar gains MT (Vim) 1 (12) => labtotal is 88; total is 76 end
2years of labwork = -60px
Magic Theory (inventing spells) 12 (425/455) +2 ;
Empowering the bond : talk with each other: CrMe 15: 1 season
Sharing sense InMe 15 (x2 for mutual); labtotal is 32) 2 seasons
Magic Theory (inventing spells) 12 (434/455) +2 ;

• investing in the staff a “Unravelling the fabric of Mentem”
    The spell is PeVi 35 (general fixed at 25 touch, conc, ind), ) – dispel mentem magic (45+stress die (no botche))
    Effects: 3 uses per day +2, by me +3, items maintains concentration +5
    Total level 45

Labtotal: 14 (MT) +2 (familiar) + 3 (aura) +3 (int) +4 (staff: destroys things at a distance) +3 (basalt : perdo) +4 (rowan: protection against malicious magic) +23 (vim) + 11 (perdo) +11 (focus) +15 (similar effect invested in the staff)+10 (similar spell known) = 100

Magic Theory (inventing spells) 12 (437/455) +2 ;
Familiar gains MT (Vim) 2 (20)

1 year of labwork = -30px

Age 56; 32 years post gauntlet +90px (+1/6 due to apt student [+5 when teached]) = 105px

“Aegis of the heart” ReVi 85
Rego 16 (136); -16px
Magic Theory (inventing spells) 12 (443/455) +2 ; -4px

So end:

Abilities
Magic Theory (inventing spells) 12 (443/455) +2
Order of Hermes Lore (bonisagus) 1 (5)
Code of hermes (marchs) 1 (5)
Parma Magic (Vim) 4 (50)
Penetration (Vim) 3 (30)
Concentration (maintening spells) 3 (30)
Latin (hermetic terms) 4 (50)
Artes Liberales (ceremonial casting) 1 (5)
Philosophiae (ceremonial casting) 1 (5)
Scottisch lore (geography) 1 (5)
Gaellic (discussion) 5 (75)
Brawl (dodge) 2 (15)
Guile (elaborated lies) 2 (15)
Nobility lore (scotts) 1 (5)
Awareness (alertness) 1 (5)

Arts
Creo 10 (55)
Intellego 12 (78)
Muto 14 (105)
Perdo 11 (66)
Rego 16 (136)
Animal 0
Aquam 0
Auram 0
Corpus 10 (55)
Herbam 0
Ignem 0
Imaginem 0
Mentem 0
Terram 0
Vim 20 (212)+3

Spells known:
“wind of mundane silence” PeVi 50 – dispelling spells and Parma (x5) less than half (50+stress die (no botche))
“Circular ward against demons” ReVi 35 (touch, conc, circle): ward against demons with infernal might less than 40.
“Aegis of the heart” ReVi 50/85
“Sayan’jin’s Teleport” ReCo 40 (touch): as “the leap of homecoming”
“Wizard’s communion” MuVi 25
“The Call to slumber” ReMe 10
“Opening the intangible tunnel” ReVi 50 (arc, diam)
“Maintening the demanding spell” ReVi 50 (touch, moon) : maintains a spell which level is less or equal to 40 with a “concentration” duration to a “moon” duration.
“Personal Ward against demons” ReVi 40 (touch, conc) : protect against demons with might less than 45

Items:
Iron Staff (S/M: staff, iron, basalt and rowan; opened with 28 pawns)

• wind of mundane silence (voice, mom) level 73, dispel magic or ability (score x5) less than half (70+stress die (no botche)) , usable by me, illimited uses
  • unraveling the fabric of mentem (touch, conc maintened) level 45, dispel Mentem magic less than (45 + stress die (no botche)), usable by me, 3 times per day
    Still 15 pawns available for enchantment

Familiar: king of crows Size (-3?) Might 15 (?),
Cords: bronze 2 (15), silver 1 (5), gold 3 (35)
Int 0
Magic Theory (Vim) 2 (20)
Powers:

• mutual speech (magus to familiar and vis versa)
  • sharing sense

Before i write some background, are the numbers, V/F, spells and arts/abilities okay?

As it is, this magus want to discover the runes magi because they don't use vis to permanent cast things and he wants to cast rituals without vis.
His dream are to cast aegis wherever he wants to prevent magical enemies /creatures to do harm to mundanes. After, improvising the MT to supress the limit of creation and/or vis.

For his living: - does aegis for covenants who ask (because he is so good), often when wizard's war or magical creature is a nuisance, because a 17th magnitude aegis is powerful and is a true kick in ass for the other side

• his teleportation is useful to be fast in travelling to some place as the covenants who needs aegis
  • is gonna invest in some CrCo against crisis rituals to receive vis
  • creates vim devices
  • will try to capture magical creatures on demand (to invest, experimentations and so on)

Edit: i have made a mistake in the calculation... correction. Thus he is at +32. Can erase the last 3 years for +29 if needed.

Edit 2 : SG, for the apt student : does it apply to the apprenticeship? i haven't thought about it when i was creating the magus

Edit 3 : correcting some mistakes

my 2cents
very, very powerful bonisagus:

• I like the idea of commissioning an aegis (he can't be kept out anyway)
  • I'll have to learn to spell his name :smiley:
  • the familiar's golden cord is cheaper (30)
  • you've got 2 story flaws
  • your parens free longevity ritual is cheap. You use tons of vis (which is plausible, because the character has a skill that can be sold)
  • I assume some of th xp are gained from favors-adventures for the parens
  • he is very relaxed about his research into visless rituals (he has a MAJOR driven flaw)
  • he is total ivory-tower guy
  • he spends a lot of time learning from people even after gauntlet. Does he coerce them? Or ask nicely?
  • wouldn't a magical transvestite have transvestite spells/items?
  • his stats are odd (but add up): what is for? Is it strength?
  • For is strength. Being french native speak, i use to write characteristics in french abreviation... but forgot to change that.
  • Magical tranvestite: well, she acts as a man, wear clothes as a man. Magic isn't very useful to accomplish that. I think that with Muto+Corpus +stamina, i could spont' any spell useful to be "more man", if needed.
  • Bonisagus power of knowledge: he has to be quite the best. And being youn (that depends on your vision of the age in the order), and able to cast such spells, he as reputation (hermetic prestige) and many could ask for his services. Good aegis aren't common and that could be a life saving thing to have in critical times. So he asks nicely in exchange of help (teleportation is not in my view a common thing to have, aegis...)
  • "ivory tower" mean nothing to me... sorry i can't catch the reference... :s
  • that's why he cames to the covenant and want to learn about the order. I assume this is the goal of the saga, so it's totally useless to have insights before that time IMPOV (and, asides, i'm quite unfamiliar with the Mystery rules that we don't really use IRL). And you may have notice he has already tried (but not sucessed) with a maintening not ritual. Driven don't mean you have to be hurried. He wants to success, he will success, but he has all is his life to do it. Bonisagus' parma and magic theory weren't things done in 20 years and everything has a begin :wink:
  • i don't care where the xp comes because i just apply the rules, and the rules says you got 30xp per year after apprenticeship (+ the bonus Ecclection has said for booklearner and other virtues like that). That could be: adventure, exchange of service of anything, doesn't really matter to me; i could pass on that in the background.
  • first parens free longevity ritual is common (corebooks LR i think). With a skilled parens + an hermetic prestigious skilled user of MT, i assumed that was quite a good LR
  • I could change magical animal compagnon to no sense of direction but that's flavorless because he teleports himself and don't walk much alone
  • yes for the cord, but as his labtotal is 55, i've put the remaining 5 in gold, to have a 4 (50) with the next empowering the bond.
  • he's well known for being neutral and is a bonisagus, a house known for his good work over the centuries... and i like the idea too :smiley:

I'm trying to adapt to the "not IRL" way of thinking, and because IRL we play with some weird deviant rules/assumption, it's not easy, and so, sorry if i'm completely mistaken...

If the magus doesn't appeal, i have developped another character, a flambeau using "light" as a weapon/defense/mean of anything.

Edit: as for the power of the magus (that i could say he isn't a FLambeau warrior more a supportive caster), i have to admit that i can't see how some "bad magi" could have been thrown in a - dangerous - country with future contacts with the powerful Order of Odin.

Have you noticed he has the "come here" feature with Opening the intangible tunnel + teleportation : that's a life savoour combo :wink:

• ivory tower: a playce where sc holars live with no contact to or knowledge of to the world outside. Used to describe scholars that have lost touch with everyday life.

Oh, I am always too hesitant with praise. I think yours is the first vim magus that impresses me. A real eye-opener. Strange and exotic. A beautiful piece of rule usage.

If I was sounding negative, its just bewilderment: I always let my characters "decide" how they develop - and I tend too end up with a mess (as you will see).

I must admit it's some kind of dream to have a Vim magus. Because Vim is the wonderful art of Magic, and yet not so "classical", i could even say, to quote my ASG IRL: (translation from french) "Vim, that's cool. It's sure. But that's it. Vim is not some kind of living tool, Vim is not useful in battle, Vim is for NPC... "

Thanks for the remarks, i'm always waiting for that kind because i like to share ideas. Your magus was interesting: i was waiting for the final version at +20*30 years post gauntlet to comment.

So, I've worked out the background. Now I can ask my character how she wants to develop.

Year 1 winter: Blood. Everywhere. The young woman had whimpered a last time before she had stopped moving - forever. The priest made the sign of the cross and closed her eyes. He frowned when the midwife took the baby, a bald girl with big blue eyes, and dabbed her little hands in her mothers blood. He knew she was a good midwife, but he also knew what people said about Catriona: that she was a witch, performing rites in the dark of the night. People said that she was of the bear clan, and they lowered their voices when they did that.
“She is mine now”, she said, looking the old man firmly in the eye. “Baptize her on the name of Artia, because I will adopt her into the bear clan. She is my daughter now.”
“But…”
“Don’t argue. Just do it.”
He knew better than to argue. He just swallowed and began.

Year 4 summer
“Your mother is a monster! Your mother is a monster!”
“No, she isn’t!”
“Yes she is!”
“Isn’t!”
“Is!”
“Isn’t!”
“My mum says so! My mum says that when the moon is full the bear clan people turn into animals and hunt on the heath. And you are a monster, too. I can feel it. You are not like us.”
“These are stories for stupid little boys. Only babies believe everything that their mothers tell them. Do I look like a bear, do I? Och, nonsense. But look there’s old Cedric. Let’s ask him.”
The children run to the old man who comes in their direction whistling at his dogs that flank the sheep. Artia and the boy run up to the old shepherd. Artia snuggles up in his lap, and the old man strokes her head. She starts crying softly against his chest.
“What have you said to upset our little princess?”, he asks the boy.
“My mum says that…”
“Oh, in the name of bloody Christ on his bloody cross. We all know what that sharp-tongued bitter harlot has to say. You made a girl cry. Away with you.”

Year 6 spring:
Artia caresses the huge she-bear in front of her. She is not afraid. She is old enough now to learn about The Change. She will serve the clan, as a healer and as a protector. She will be a peacemaker, a leader and a judge. She will speak to the Norman noblemen for her clan one day. The bear is talking to her, singing to her. She closes her eyes and embraces the rhythm. I is a song about the hunt, about the fish in the stream and the deer in the meadow. She feels The Change, feels the smells of the grass identify and hears the beating of nature’s heart. When she opens her eyes again, the change is done.
Catriona licks the girl’s face and ruffles her fur before they run off into the forest, to celebrate the event with a fresh kill.

Year 18:
The knock on the door is ill-timed. The Norman woman was just starting to believe what Artia was telling her about her husband and that busty maid from the kitchen. If she succeeded, he would have more than enough trouble in his own tower, enough to stop pestering the clan with his constant plans.
A servant came in, and said: “Artia, wise one, a messenger from the clan is at the gate. He ants to talk to you. He says it’s urgent.”
She bows to the lady follows the servant out.
Artair is waiting at the gate, nervously turning his cap in his hand. She sees at once that the clan smith has been crying. The strong man, who stands nearly two heads taller than her, hesitates, and mumbles: “Catriona.She’s dead.” When she looks at him, unemotionally and questioning, he remembers his male dignity, draws a sharp breath and tells: “One of the warlocks from that continental cult that has been nosing around came to Catriona’s house this morning. Catriona didn’t invite her in. Before long they were shouting and arguing on the porch. Then he shouted something about shapeshifters and when he heard Catriona’s angry reply, he hit the ground with his staff, and it swallowed Catriona. Then the warlock raised her dead body from the ground, paraded it through the village and asked for other members of the bear clan. Of course we didn’t say anything. Artia, you must hide! We will call the priest to give Catriona a decent burial. He pauses for a moment, then he speaks: From the bear I come to call the bear. You are the bear. Serve us and protect us!”
Artia is standing still, her face hard as stone. After Artair has turned to leave, a single tear runs down her face.

A month later:
Cedric the shepherd is happy to see Artia. Too old to be outside, he spends his time at the fire. Artia asks him: “I have observed Catriona’s murderer carefully. I have learned that he is a mighty warlock, a member of a clan of powerful shapeshifters that call themselves Bjornaer. There are many of them and they are strong. Their clan is part of an organization called the Order of Hermes – probably the most powerful organization of wizards that has ever existed. Catriona has warned me to stay away from them. What should I do?”
Cedric laughed his toothless smile: “You have already decided, don’t you know that? To seek revenge for Catriona, you have to make this warlock and his clan pay. To do this, you must seek their knowledge. Join them and destroy this warlock and his house from the inside. Vengeance is a dish best eaten cold.”

19 years winter, Ungulus:
“Teach me! I am a hedge wizard. I want to join the order of Hermes.”
Flavius ex Miscellanea looks at the translator, then at the young woman in front of her. Hesitantly, he stretches out her hands and casts a spell on Artia. He is impressed that the pretty woman doesn’t flinch at the open display of magic. His eyes widen when she feels the gift in the dark-haired beauty in front of her. Flavius looks at Artia for what seems like an eternity. Then he nods and says: “I think I’ll start by teaching you to read Latin. You will serve me for 15 years. You will be my slave. You will have no rights. I have no time for teaching you but I will grant you access to books. Kiss the hem of my robe if you agree.”
Artia listens to the translator, then falls to her knees. Flavius can’t see Artia’s smile as she bends her head to kiss the robe.

33 years Fall:
Some magi murmur derisively when Flaviuss presents his apprentice who is much older then the other apprentices. Artia has already passed the private examination and the questions at the public presentation are a mere matter of form.
She answers calmly but is already thinking about the future. She has learned a lot as an apprentice, little from Pentheos who was often too busy to teach her, but a lot from the books and scrolls in the library. She has learned about the invisible differences in the order, has noticed the sneering behind her master’s back and has learned some more about her enemies. She knows that the warlock who killed Catriona has been hunted down by the order for breaking the law. She will need more time to prepare her revenge against house Bjornaer. Once before a house was marched – the Diedne. But it wasn’t easy. She will need respect, allies, and a sound knowledge of Hermetic Law to bring them down.
When they ask her to choose a hermetic name, she chooses a Greek one: Morphiste, the lady of change. Changed she has, and change she will bring.

I just realized that I need to shuffle around some of Morphistes spells and Arts:

• she doesn't need many animal spells, so she might develop deficient animal (and get rid of her bad reputation)
  • in the long run she needs InVi30 to train shapeshifter apprentices
  • she'll need mentem spells for her political intrigues
  • her healing spells (especially the diseae one) are strange, mind manipulation/reading and spells that investigate magic are more logical

Wow, thanks guys! Exar, the idea of a vim-specialist magus is very cool. I haven't had a good look over Keythleen's stats yet, but the idea shows real promise. Jean, I'll have a detailed read over your background tomorrow. I would have done it today, but I was forced to work somewhere away from my ever-reliable internet connection, and my baby daughter means I often can't get near a computer at home.

Okay, some more detailed comments. ExarKun, you're up first

1. Virtues and Flaws are okay-ish. I think Keythleen's Magical Focus is a bit too broad, given that it pretty much covers the whole Vim form. I'd change it to 'spells', which seems to be what you're trying to do. I'll rule, for simplicity's sake, that this still applies to creating her ridiculously, awesomely high level Aegis.

2. I assume that Keythleen's Driven flaw applied to something else up until recently (possibly 'cast the greatest Aegis of the Hearth the Order has ever seen'). As soon as she achieved that goal, her obsessiver personality switched to another goal.

3. As a minor note, given that you've already gone ahead and bound her familiar, I'd replace Magical Animal Companion with something else.

4. I tossed and turned about all the learning from Teaching as you've factored in, but I'm going to allow it. I'm doing this because a) we can rationalise it as trading seasons of instruction for a high-level Aegis and b) Keythleen is almost cripplingly overspecialised, with all the problems that entails. If you'd used it to build a more directly dangerous magus, I'd have a problem with it. As it is, you'll just need to play creatively, which is more fun for me to watch in any case.

5. I'm assuming 'Nobility Lore (scots)' applies to highland clans, given her background. I've recorded it as 'Highland Clans Lore (feuds, or something)'. Spells and items are fine. Bear in mind, though, that that iron staff is going to be heavy, especially considering her low Strength/For score.

6. I like the king of the crows. Very thematic! Do you want me to do up some stats using RoP: Magic?

Plus, a quick note for JeanMichelle: 'bear' in Gaelic is 'mathan'. This makes the bear clan 'Clan Mac Mathan', or even 'Clan Nic Mathan' if (for some reason) the lineage is all-female. Does the name suit?

I'll edit my answer later, but, in short: "COOOL!".
Have a nice day :slight_smile:

Spells is okay: you have understood what i wanted :slight_smile:.
IMO i think vim has these impact:

• vis (minor)
  • warping (minor)
  • magic (or spell as you call it) (major)
  • any subdivision of "magic": detection, destruction, etc. (minor)
  • supernatural creatures (major)
  • any subdivision of the previous (minor)
  • regios (minor)
  • wards (minor is a "core focus")

Make a lot sense and think it justify the big focus thing in aegis before the start. Good point here, SG!

Ok.I'll think about it. For now i think no sense of direction (because it's for grogs to know where to go... i just want a rock to teleport guys! i'm a powerful magus!)

Yes i have thought that a [booklearner/free student/apt student] will use his best strengths when learning. And it's not, as you say, as Keythleen has nothing to exchange :wink:
And plus, you are right: i'm not a battle magus: i'm a supporter (wards, mutoboosts to spells cast by others, teleports, erase enemy magic...). In the game "Magic the Gathering", i would be a blue deck player :wink:, waiting for some red or black player to ally with :slight_smile:

Yep. one of the first thing i want to have is someone to cast a strength boost ritual spell to have 0. I could have done that in the development, but was not sure how to do, so decided to wait for the start of the game. Intertimes, i would try to invent some "telekinesis" spell to carry it :wink:.

What i love with bonisagus magi in general (and Keythleen especially) is that they can do almost every "useful" middle spell :slight_smile:.
Did i mention that her sanctum/laboratory will become especially refined ? :smiley:

[for my own amusement, i'm designing a Jerbiton magus .. i'll talk about it in OOC to do no OT here]

If that don't bother you, i'll let you do because
A. i would be overpowering it
B. I want to see how other peoples think/create, because, when i see for example JeanMichelle maga, i could never have done this kind of magus... i'm way too ... i don't know the word... one minded when it comes to character creation?

Morphiste's extremely detailed character creation has turned out to deprive her of quite a number of xp, so if I have xp left towards the end, can I send her to quaesitorial training (she'd love that - it makes striking against house bjornaer easier. She has heavily invested into ooh lore, code of hermes, and her reputation (how many xp for that? 1 xp : for one reputation xp, or is it just like buying (off) virtues: 1 minor virtue = 30 repuation xp = reputation 3)

baby doesn't like me posting

My 2cents for reputation: i don't think that winning reputation in season easily (eg 30points in a block) is a good idea because:
1- i think reputation 5 is enormous (see Philippus Niger)
2- that "ruins" virtues who gives reputation

For quaesitor, i see one problem for Morphiste: the guernicus house must do some check with spell like "Frosty breath of the spoken lie" and when they would ask "do you want hurt for any house", you'll be in trouble.
After all, you have already a chance : your parens is bad at InMe because (IMS IRL) pretty all the parens do some InMe to check apprentice to see if they have no ashaming secrets :wink:.

Edit: can't wait to see other magi creation process here!

You are right about the quaesitor thing - not a good idea

unfinished, but for you to see where I'm going)

Morphiste ex Miscellanea (at Gauntlet)
Short history:
Apprenticed by her mother, a shapeshifter who was killed by Bjornaer magi.
Joined the order to destroy the house (using intrigue).
Introduced into the order by a maga of Pralix line, but taught herself hermetic magic.

Plans for the near future: Quickly make a longevity ritual, gain a positive reputation, observe House Bjornaer (improve Order of Hermes Lore and Codex of Hermes), improve Parma

Virtues/Flaws (house virtues and flaws in brackets)
(3 restriction: cannot cast spells on non-magical animals, including Bjornaer in Heartbeast form, at all, except on himself)
3 Driven (sabotage house Bjornaer)
1 busybody
3 dark secret: plans to destroy House Bjornaer
1 Hedge Wizard
1 Unimaginative Learner
1 Ability block: Martial abilities

( 3 shapechanger)
(1 affinity with muto)
1 puissant shapeshifting
1 bound tongue (see HoH: MC, Bjornaer)
1 subtle magic
3 life-linked spontaneous magic
1 Pack Leader
1 improved characteristics
1 book learner
1 Venus blessing

Int 2 Pe 0
Pr 1 Com 2
Sta 2 Str 0
Quk 0 Dex 0

Early Childhood (Year 1-5: 45xp + Language)
Shapeshifter 1 (bear) +2 (forms: Bear)
Native Language Gaelic (telling stories) 5
Guile (shapeshifting) 3
Area Lore Scottish Islands (animals) 1
Charm (old men) 1
Awareness (alertness) 1

Childhood (years 6-18): 195xp
Carouse (staying sober) 2
Charm (old men) 2
Awareness (alertness) 2
Chirurgy (binding wounds) 1
Concentration (shapechanging) 3
Etiquette (nobility) 2
Intrigue (nobility) 4
Leadership (political) 2
Shapechange (bear) 4+2 (Bear, salmon, falcon, cat)

Apprenticeship at (19-33): 240xp (115xp skills + 125xp arts), 120 lvls spells
Magic Theory (Me) 3
Parma (Mentem) 1
Latin (Hermetic) 4
Artes Liberales (Ceremonial Casting) 1
Order of Hermes Lore (House Bjornaer) 1
Profession Scribe (diligent) 1
Code of Hermes (Wizard’s Marches) 1
Medicine (physcician) 1
Philosophy (Ceremonial Casting) 1

Skills (alphabetical): Area Lore Scottish Islands (animals) 1, Artes Liberales (Ceremonial Casting) 1,
Awareness (alertness) 2, Carouse (staying sober) 2, Charm (old men) 2, Chirurgy (binding wounds) 1, Code of Hermes (Wizard’s Marches) 1, Concentration (shapechanging) 3, Etiquette (nobility) 2, Guile (shapeshifting) 3, Intrigue (nobility) 4, Latin (Hermetic) 4, Leadership (political) 2, Magic Theory (Me) 3, Medicine (physcician) 1,
Native Language Gaelic (telling stories) 5, Order of Hermes Lore (House Bjornaer) 1, Parma (Mentem) 1, Philosophy (Ceremonial Casting) 1, Profession Scribe (diligent) 1, Shapechange (bear) 4+2 (Bear, salmon, falcon, cat)

Arts:
In 6
Mu 8
Re 4
Me 8
He 6
Vi 6

Spells:
Enchantment of detachment (PeMe15)
Loss of but a moment’s memory (PeMe15)
Invention of but a moment’s memory (CrMe15; B4; +1 eye, +2 day; works best if target talks about Memory during duration, so he or she has a non-magical memory of talking about it)
Aura of Rightful Authority (ReMe20)
Doublet of Impenetrable linen (MuHe20, cf. Doublet of Impenetrable Silk MuAn20)
Disguise of the new visage (MuCo15)
The call to Slumber (ReMe10)
Wizard’s Sidestep (MuIm10)
Cavebuilder PeTe 10 (B: 4, +1 Touch, +1 Part)
Makes one cubic pace of stone or dirt diappear. Morphiste will cast this spell thousands of times to build her lab inside Ailsa Craig.

Notes (further development): I’ll assume 8xp for a season, 2xp for a lab season, I’ll use as many books as possible (I have not yet used the virtue Book learner for calculations up to gauntlet). I assume that a standard lab is available at no cost (unrealistic, I know, but “no cost” means favours repaid with adventure seasons). I will have to produce all the vis myself.

Power/abuses: The character’s virtues and flaws are chosen in a way that is powerful (Life-linked spont. Magic and shapechanger are very powerful virtues). The dark secret virtue can easily become another major story virtue (e.g. feud, enemies). Choosing muto as an affinity is weak, but in character.
The skills are chosen in a way that focuses a lot on social skills (etiquette, intrigue, guile), for which players in pbp-games usually do not roll dice but just roleplay them: To balance this, I made my maga start her apprenticeship late. Her spells are useful (except the disease-healing spell).
Morphiste is very social (positive presence/com + venus blessing + leader + social skills), but also a good fighter for a freshly gauntleted maga (using bear shape against magi and the shrinking spell against mundanes. She can turn into a falcon and run when a monster shows up).

1183 winter: Blood. Everywhere. The young woman had whimpered a last time before she had stopped moving - forever. The priest made the sign of the cross and closed her eyes. He frowned when the midwife took the baby, a bald girl with big blue eyes, and dabbed her little hands in her mothers blood. He knew she was a good midwife, but he also knew what people said about Catriona: that she was a witch, performing rites in the dark of the night. People said that she was of the bear clan, and they lowered their voices when they did that.
“She is mine now”, she said, looking the old man firmly in the eye. “Baptize her on the name of Artia, because I will adopt her into the bear clan. She is my daughter now.”
“But…”
“Don’t argue. Just do it.”
He knew better than to argue. He just swallowed and began.

Year 1187 summer
“Your mother is a monster! Your mother is a monster!”
“No, she isn’t!”
“Yes she is!”
“Isn’t!”
“Is!”
“Isn’t!”
“My mum says so! My mum says that when the moon is full the bear clan people turn into animals and hunt on the heath. And you are a monster, too. I can feel it. You are not like us.”
“These are stories for stupid little boys. Only babies believe everything that their mothers tell them. Do I look like a bear, do I? Och, nonsense. But look there’s old Cedric. Let’s ask him.”
The children run to the old man who comes in their direction whistling at his dogs that flank the sheep. Artia and the boy run up to the old shepherd. Artia snuggles up in his lap, and the old man strokes her head. She starts crying softly against his chest.
“What have you said to upset our little princess?”, he asks the boy.
“My mum says that…”
“Oh, in the name of bloody Christ on his bloody cross. We all know what that sharp-tongued bitter harlot has to say. You made a girl cry. Away with you.”

Year 1188 spring:
Artia caresses the huge she-bear in front of her. She is not afraid. She is old enough now to learn about The Change. She will serve the clan, as a healer and as a protector. She will be a peacemaker, a leader and a judge. She will speak to the Norman noblemen for her clan one day. The bear is talking to her, singing to her. She closes her eyes and embraces the rhythm. I is a song about the hunt, about the fish in the stream and the deer in the meadow. She feels The Change, feels the smells of the grass identify and hears the beating of nature’s heart. When she opens her eyes again, the change is done.
Catriona licks the girl’s face and ruffles her fur before they run off into the forest, to celebrate the event with a fresh kill.

Year 1200:
The knock on the door is ill-timed. The Norman woman was just starting to believe what Artia was telling her about her husband and that busty maid from the kitchen. If she succeeded, he would have more than enough trouble in his own tower, enough to stop pestering the clan with his constant plans.
A servant came in, and said: “Artia, wise one, a messenger from the clan is at the gate. He ants to talk to you. He says it’s urgent.”
She bows to the lady follows the servant out.
Artair is waiting at the gate, nervously turning his cap in his hand. She sees at once that the clan smith has been crying. The strong man, who stands nearly two heads taller than her, hesitates, and mumbles: “Catriona.She’s dead.” When she looks at him, unemotionally and questioning, he remembers his male 7dignity, draws a sharp breath and tells: “One of the warlocks from that continental cult that has been nosing around came to Catriona’s house this morning. Catriona didn’t invite her in. Before long they were shouting and arguing on the porch. Then he shouted something about shapeshifters and when he heard Catriona’s angry reply, he hit the ground with his staff, and it swallowed Catriona. Then the warlock raised her dead body from the ground, paraded it through the village and asked for other members of the bear clan. Of course we didn’t say anything. Artia, you must hide! We will call the priest to give Catriona a decent burial. He pauses for a moment, then he speaks: From the bear I come to call the bear. You are the bear. Serve us and protect us!”
Artia is standing still, her face hard as stone. After Artair has turned to leave, a single tear runs down her face.

A month later:
Cedric the shepherd is happy to see Artia. Too old to be outside, he spends his time at the fire. Artia asks him: “I have observed Catriona’s murderer carefully. I have learned that he is a mighty warlock, a member of a clan of powerful shapeshifters that call themselves Bjornaer. There are many of them and they are strong. Their clan is part of an organization called the Order of Hermes – probably the most powerful organization of wizards that has ever existed. Catriona has warned me to stay away from them. What should I do?”
Cedric laughed his toothless smile: “You have already decided, don’t you know that? To seek revenge for Catriona, you have to make this warlock and his clan pay. To do this, you must seek their knowledge. Join them and destroy this warlock and his house from the inside. Vengeance is a dish best eaten cold.”

1201 years winter, Ungulus:
“Teach me! I am a hedge wizard. I want to join the order of Hermes.”
Flavius ex Miscellanea looks at the translator, then at the young woman in front of her. Hesitantly, he stretches out her hands and casts a spell on Artia. He is impressed that the pretty woman doesn’t flinch at the open display of magic. His eyes widen when she feels the gift in the dark-haired beauty in front of her. Flavius looks at Artia for what seems like an eternity. Then he nods and says: “I think I’ll start by teaching you to read Latin. You will serve me for 15 years. You will be my slave. You will have no rights. I have no time for teaching you but I will grant you access to books. Kiss the hem of my robe if you agree.”
Artia listens to the translator, then falls to her knees. Flavius can’t see Artia’s smile as she bends her head to kiss the robe.

1215 years Fall:
Some magi murmur derisively when Flavius presents his apprentice who is much older then the other apprentices. Artia has already passed the private examination and the questions at the public presentation are a mere matter of form.
She answers calmly but is already thinking about the future. She has learned a lot as an apprentice, little from Flavius who was often too busy to teach her, but a lot from the books and scrolls in the library. She has learned about the invisible differences in the order, has noticed the sneering behind her master’s back and has learned some more about her enemies. She knows that the warlock who killed Catriona has been hunted down by the order for breaking the law. She will need more time to prepare her revenge against house Bjornaer. Once before a house was marched – the Diedne. But it wasn’t easy. She will need respect, allies, and a sound knowledge of Hermetic Law to bring them down.
When they ask her to choose a hermetic name, she chooses a Greek one: Morphiste, the lady of change. Changed she has, and change she will bring.

Reputation must be bought with xp

1216 years winter:
Freshly gauntleted, Morphiste realizes that she has few friends in the order, and that she is getting old and first needs a decent longevity ritual. She negotiates with Flavius, who wants to keep her to fill Ungulus with life again. She has to promise to make Ungulus her covenant for the next 20 years in exchange for a potent ritual (-15 on aging). She also has to promise to assist him in his plans for a rejuvenation of the covenant.
She spends a season in the lab assisting Flavius [exposure: Magic Theory 3(2)]

1216 years spring, summer, and fall, 1217 years winter: Morphiste now turns her attention to the Bjornaer problem. Analyzing her strengths and weaknesses, she discovers that she needs to learn more about them. In the library at Ungulus, she finds a weighty, albeit poorly written summa “History of the Order of Hermes”, which she devours [source quality 8 +3 book learner = 11 x 4 seasons: 44xp: Order of Hermes Lore 3(19); apparent age: 34]
1217 years spring: Morphiste decides to get rid of her reputation as a hedge wizard and writes a knowledgeable tractatus “A concise History of the Order of Hermes (Q8)” [exposure: Order of Hermes Lore 4, Reputation: Active Interest in the Order (magi) 0(1)]
1217 years summer: Morphiste searches and finds a few travelling scholars who she pays to copy her tractatus [adventure: Bargain(books) 1, Mentem 8(3)]
1217 years fall: While the scholars start writing their books, Morphiste studies a tractatus at Ungulus to improve her Parma Magica [Q8+3: Parma 2(1)]
1218 winter: Morphiste travels to gift strategic covenants in Mythic Europe with her book; she learns quite a bit about behaviour patterns in the Order [Adventure: Etiquette 2(5), Reputation: Active interest in the order 0(4), apparent age 34]
1218 spring and summer: During her travels Morphiste realizes that she needs spells that allow her to transform her possessions with her. She starts planning her talisman.
She wants to be able to use it in all her forms, so she plans it to be a ring-shaped earring (fin ring in dolphin shape), made of copper, with a little silver cross (she knows her limits).
Basically, the earring will need an effect that is activated by her changing shape, and an effect that adapts the earring to her new form. Something that changes her possessions into little rings interlinked with the earring would be immensely useful.

• Perceive the Change InCo15 (see GotF, p. 96; Final level: 19)
  • Change Ring MuTe5 (B4, R: P, D: +1 Conc, T: Ind.; +10 unlimited uses, +3 linked trigger, +5 maintains concentration: Final level: 23)
  • Subtle packing: Changes dead possessions (An, Aq, Co, He, Te, Vi) into a tiny little silver ring interlinked with the earring. MuHe15 (An,Aq,Co,Te,Vi), (base 4, R: +1 Touch, D: +1 Conc, T: Group, freeReq: An, Aq, Co, He, Te, Vi, +1 interlinked ring/complexity; +10 unlimited uses, +3 linked trigger, +5 maintains concentration, Final level: 33)

She realizes she needs stronger magic to accomplish this and goes to the library to start learning. She both needs to increase her Animal, Aquam, Corpus and Terram skills so the requisites do not hinder her, and invest into Muto.
She starts with corpus and spends to seasons reading a summa [reading: 2x11 xp: Co 6(1)]

Year 1218 fall: The quaesitores call for an emergency march against a Bjornaer magus! Morphiste joins and manages to slay the enemy, whom she catches by surprise in bear form. She spends the rest of the season recovering from her wounds [Adventure: Code of Hermes 1(5), Reputation: Active interest in the order 1(2)]

Year 1219 winter: Slaying the Bjornaer has put improving her Parma on the top of her priority list. She returns to the library to find one last tractatus on the topic, which she reads, making little progress along the way [Reading: Parma Magica 2(12)]
Year 1219 spring and summer: Morphiste returns to reading, improving her Terram with two tractatus. [Terram 6]
Year 1219, fall: Flavius needs her support in dissuading the church from investigating a local nobleman from investigating Ungulus too closely. She finds out that a Tytalus wizard is behind the intrigue and reports back to Flavius who decides that he will bring the matter to tribunal [Etiquette 2(10), Mentem 8(5), Reputation: active interest in the Order 1(3)].
Year 1220: Flavius makes a deal with Morphiste. She assists him with his research on how to try the Tytalus, and in exchange, he spends to seasons helping her improve her Parma [2x 2xp exposure: Code of Hermes 1(9), 2x 13xp Teaching: Parma Magica 3(13)]
Year 1220, winter: Morphiste prepares her the earring she plans to use as a talisman, opening it with 6 pawns of Vi [exposure Magic theory 3(4)].
Year 1220, spring: Morphiste attunes her earring [exposure: magic theory 3(6)].
Year 1220, summer: Her work on the earring is interrupted by a call for help from her clan. A new lord has inherited the land and wants to reform his lands. She travels to Scotland and negotiates a deal with him [Charm 2(5), Mentem 8(8)].
Year 1220, fall, Yar 1221 winter: Morphiste reads a summa on Intellego [2x(8+3) =22xp: In 8(7)]
Year 1221 spring: Flavius and Morphiste attend tribunal, get the Tytalus that aused them problems marched [Adventure: Code of Hermes 2(4), Reputation (active interest in the Order) 1(6)]
Year 1221 summer: Flavius and Morphiste slay the marched Tytalus. Morphiste’s wounds take time to heal [Parma Magica 3(3), Reputation (Active interest in the order) 1(9)]
Year 1221 fall: Morphiste takes a book to learn more Intellego for enchanting her talisman [2x(8+3)xp=22xp: In 9(9)]
Year 1222 winter and spring: Morphiste improves her Corpus magic by reading [22xp: 8(8)]
Year 1222 summer and fall: Morphiste invests “Perceiving the Change” into her Talisman. She also opens it for terram+1 and intellego+2 [2xp exposure: Co 9, In 10, Magic theory 3(8)]
Years 1223 and 1224: Morphiste spends two whole years reading about Muto, all she can find in the library [(8+3)x8x1,5=132xp: Muto 17(15)]
Year 1225 winter: In a single season, Morphiste enchants her talisman with Change Ring. Now she can take it with her in all her forms. She also opens it for transform self +4. [Exposure: Muto 17(17)]
Year 1225 spring: Morphiste travels to defend the interests of the bear clan and meets her childhood love again [8xp adventure: Mu 18, Charm 2(10), Etiquette 2(12)]
Year 1226, summer and fall: Morphiste studies two tractatus on Aquam [Aquam 6]
Year 1227, winter and spring: Morphiste studies two tractatus on Animal [Animal 6]
Year 1227, summer and fall: Morphiste studies two tractatus on Imaginem [Im 6]
Year 1228 winter: Morphiste reads up on Code of Hermes to prepare for Grand Tibunal [Code of Hermes (Marches) 3]
Year 1228 spring: Morphiste travels to Durenmar to attend the Grand Tribunal [adventure: Charm 3, reputation. (active interest in the order) 2(2)
Year 1228 summer: Morphiste stays to meet many magi post tribunal [Adventure: Etiquette(gifts) 3, Leadership 2(5)]
Year 1228 fall: Morphiste returns to Ungulus and puts another 15 pawns of vis into her talisman (total: 21). She also opens it for passion+2 [exposure: Magic Theory 3(10)]
Year 1229: Morphiste spends all year installing the effect “Subtle Packing” into her talisman. She opens it for moving herself +2, protecting herself +4, damaging infernal creatures +5 and warding away supernatural+5; [4x 2xp exposure: Magic Theory 3(18)]
Year 1230, winter: News reaches Morphiste that a child has been born into clan Mathan that has The Ability (i.e. the major supernatural virtue: Shapeshifter). On the one hand, Morphiste is happy to know that she can train somebody who can take over her role as guardian of the clan, on the other hand she realizes that she lacks the skills to train an apprentice, let alone to preserve such a talent. She decides to start learning immediately so she can teach the girl all that she needs to know as quickly as possible.
She starts by reading up on Rego [Rego 6].
Year 1230 spring and summer: She reads through Auram [Auram 6].
Year 1230, fall, year 1231 winter and spring: She reads three tractatus on vim, so she can open the arts of the girl (In10+Vi10+Int2+MT3+Aura5).
Year 1231 summer and fall: She reads up on Ignem [Ignem 6]
Year 1232: she reads about Creo and Perdo, bringing her last Arts to a level sufficient for teaching an apprentice.
Year 1233 winter to summer: Morphiste is a busy mother who doesn’t get around to doing much but being their for Arcadia [Practice 3x 5xp: Teaching (single student) 2]
Year 1233 fall to 1234 fall: Morphiste adopts the girl on her third birthday and gives her the name Arcadia. Together, they travel Scotland for more than a year [5x5xp practice: Area Lore Scotland (animals) 3; Arcadia’s early childhood: Area Lore Scotland (animals) 2, guile (shapeshifting) 2, Awareness(Alertness)1, Athletics (hiking) 1, Charm(innocence) 1]
Year 1235 winter: Arcadia is finally old enough to learn about being a shapeshifter. Morphiste teaches her how to become a bear and tells her about the falcon shape [M: exposure teaching 2(2); A: Shapeshifting(bear) 1(9)+2]
Year 1235 spring: Morphiste reads up on Artes Liberales and Philosophy, so she can teach it properly [M: Artes Liberales 2(1)]. Aracadia is told to practice shapechanging and manages to assume falcon form [A: 4xp practice: Shapeshifting 2(3)+2]
Year 1235 summer: Morphiste teaches Arcadia Artes Liberales [M: 2xp exposure Artes Liberales 2(3), A: taught Artes Liberales (ceremonial casting) 1(9)].
Fall 1235: Flavius disappears in Twilight (he hasn’t come back by 1245). Morphiste looks around for another covenant, and makes Arcadia learn Latin words in the library in the meantime. She gets an invitation from by Ailsa Craig. [M: adventure: Swimming (saltwater) 1(5), Reputation (active interest in the order): 2(7), A: Latin (hermetic) 1(3)]
Winter 1236: Morphiste and Arcadia prepare to move to Ailsa Craig, which is much closer to her clan. She inspects the site and then decides to build a special grotto inside the rock. She invents a spell for that purpose:
Cavebuilder PeTe 10 (B: 4, +1 Touch, +1 Part)
Makes one cubic pace of stone or dirt diappear. Morphiste will cast this spell thousands of times to build her lab inside Ailsa Craig. Arcadia practices shapeshifting.
Arcadia practices shapechanging [M: 2xp exposure Magic theory 4, A: shapechanging 2(7) but doesn’t manage to assume dolphin shape yet.
Summer: Morphiste creates a minor enchanted item.
Agate of the Chamber of Spring Breezes [B1, +1 Touch, +2 Sun, +1 unnatural, +1 2/say, +1 environmental trigger, final level: 9]
This stone permanently makes the air in Morphiste’s sanctum breathable even though there is no connection to the outside. Arcadia practices shapeshifting. [M: 2xp exposure Magic Theory 4(2); A: shapechanging 2(11)]
Fall 1236: Morphiste spends a season carving her lab into Ailsa Craig. She starts under an overhanging cliff (in order to be within the Aegis). In dolphin form she dives 7 paces below sea level and creates a narrow tunnel spiralling up and into the rock at a gentle slope, just large enough for a dolphin to swim through. Then she makes it rise vertically, too narrow for humans, but manageable for a falcon. She also creates a labyrinthine collection of tunnels that are dead ends. Finally she excavates a hexagonal chamber, and as large a ring as possible on the floor. Arcadia practices shapeshifting. [M: Practice: Finesse (terram) 1, A: Practice shapeshifting 3+2].
Winter 1237: Morphiste opens the arts for Arcadia, preserving her ability to shapechange [M: 2xp exposure Magic Theory 4(4); A: arts opened].
Spring, and summer 1237: Morphiste sets up her lab and refines it. Arcadia is sent to parish school to learn Latin [M: 2x 2xp exposure: Magic Theory 4(8) A: Latin (hermetic) 3].

Morphiste’s lab
A steep cliff hangs over the sea. About 7 paces below the waterline, there is a narrow entrance to an artificial cave, just inside the aegis.
There is a labyrinth of narrow tunnels inside that can only be mastered by someone with both the ability to fly and to dive.
Morphiste’s sanctum is a large hexagonal room, and has a large stone ring on the floor for circle spells. Since there is no contact to the outside air (the only entrance is under water), the air has to be kept fresh by a minor magic item (an agate). There is a second room for sleeping nearby.

Minor structure virtues:
Auspicious shape: +1 Aesthetics, +1 Vim
Spacious: +2 safety, +1 Aesthetics
Well Insulated: + safety, +1 Aesthetics
Free structure virtues:
Superior construction: +1 Safety, +1 Aesthetics
Free structure flaws:
Disguised: -1 Aesthetics
Subterranean: +1 Upkeep, (-1 Health, countered by Agate), -1 Aesthetics, +1 Terram)
Minor supernatural flaw/virtue:
Labyrinth (modified): -2 Aesthetics, +2 Vim, (-1 Safety, -1 health for other users only)

JeanMichelle, i have some bug in your post:
 appears , for example in:
Charm (old men) 2
Awareness (alertness) 2
(in red the character bugging)
(for me it's a strange square thing with i think
F0
E0
written in it :s)