Character Creation

It's strange that there is a mistake about the xp. For the bow, let's say a short bow :slight_smile:. It's a style more cool than the crossbow :slight_smile:

Yeah, I'm not sure what happened there either, but Metacreator has him 129 xp over the top, even given our '32xp/year post gauntlet' house rule. And who am I to argue with third-party software?

Well, I must say i haven't much confidence in metacreator as it never does a good job when i create a character with it (and thus, i do it by myself :smiley:).

Seeing those results, I'll check the character improvement page 5. Maybe it's due to the seasons of work in lab.

Edit:
1-found a mistake in the first 4 years of 10px.
2- 15 xp mistake the second part. what the fuck, how did i manage to make such mistake. Being sick doesn't help to do correct verifying maths...
3- another 15 xp in the third part of the character.
4- other years before experimentation are okay.
5- experimentation year in lab => 60xp (in place of 30)

I can't figure how metacreator gives you more xp then 10+15+15 + (30?) = 40 (or 70).
I'll remove some experience points in arts and abilities.

Parma 4 => 3 : +20xp
Muto 10 => 9 : +10xp
corpus 10 => 9 : +10 xp

That's it.

Eh, it tends to shit itself whenever experimentation is involved in a character history, so that's probably a large part of it. Thanks for checking your work for me, though. I'll make the changes. Do you mind doing the wiki? I may not be able to get on to the net for a day or two.

I'll do it, no problem.

Hi there, I'm new. I was thinking of playing a very stealthy Redcap (a ninja to go along with all the pirates, har har) for my Companion, or possibly a Jewish merchant associated with the Hanseatic League... and either a totally unkempt Bjornaer or a rigid stickler Tremeris for a maga. How would those concepts work?

(OOoh, maybe a future new active player :smiley:)

I don't mind either companion concept, though bear in mind that the campaign is going to be centred around western Scotland, so a Jewish Hansa might find himself getting a bit lonely! Honestly, a Redcap works a little better for me, as it gives me an excuse to involve the covenant a bit more in Loch Leglean politics.

As for your magus, one of the existing characters has a bit of a hate on for Bjornaer, so I don't recommend that (at this point). A rule-stickler Tremere might be fun to introduce into Alerock's somewhat haphazard organisation. Basically (and this goes for companions, too) I'm more interested in how they'll play off against the existing characters than anything else. Give me a bit of interpersonal drama and I'm a happy man.

With Bjornaer not an option, and if I played a Tremere I'd want to borrow heavily from Paul Briscoe's Tremere sourcebook, which I'm assuming none of y'all have. So, I'm opting for a Mythic Companion instead. I combined my two concepts into one! Feedback/suggestions welcome. Bereleyn doesn't know Gaelic or Norse, but she has Gift of Tongues so she can get by, though she can only read the languages she actually knows.

Bereleyn bat Lieber
Age 60
Warping 0
Decrepitude 0
Confidence 2 (5)
Divine Might 3

Magus Lieber Merceris chanced to meet a Jewish woman named Elisheva. Active in the Cult of Heroes, Lieber was initially interested in the woman because of the great potential in mixing the blood of Mercere with the blood of the Grigori. However, as a devout Jew, Elisheva would not be parted from her virtue, nor would she marry a Gentile. Impressed by her devotion and faith, Lieber grew to love her truly and deeply; he undertook Torah studies and converted to Judaism, and they were married. While both had hoped for a large family, Elisheva only conceived once before Lieber needed to make a longevity ritual.

Rejected by society at large due to her Jewish heritage and faith, yet rejected by her mother's society due to intolerance for her mother's marriage (he may have converted, but he was still a wizard), the girl grew up never knowing a sense of home, or belonging. Lieber sent her to Harco to train as a Redcap, and as soon as her education was completed, she took to her new duties with enthusiasm. Unfortunately, she has always performed abysmally at the political aspects of Redcap work-- due to her straightforwardness and refusal to speak untruths, Bereleyn somehow manages to say the most inappropriate things at any given time. (Most famously, when meeting with the archbishop of Canterbury, Bereleyn blurted out, "...Your worship of Christ is idolatry, and saying it isn't by arguing that he IS G-d is not only blasphemy, but utterly stupid." That went over really well.)

When Lieber passed into Final Twilight, Elisheva gave her daughter her copy of the Torah and a great relic that had been passed through her line: the finger of Solomon, which had borne his Seal; she then embarked on a quest to the Holy Land and never returned.

Bereleyn has always sought out what assignments are as far from civilised society as she can find, and it is a mystery to the Order what she does with her free time. In her travels, she met an enormous Divine-touched hound named Huan; the dog seems to be her only friend.

Characteristics
Int 0 Per -1 [-3]
Str +2 Sta +2
Pre +1 Com -3
Dex +4 Qik +4

Virtues Redcap [3], Educated (Hebrew) [1], Lightning Reflexes [1], Puissant Great Weapon [1], Affinity: Great Weapon [1], Blood of the Nephilim [3], Well Traveled [0], Blood of Heroes [0], Strong Angelic Heritage [Heroic Free], Great Bearer [1], Gift of Tongues [1], Light Touch [1], Great Dexterity [1], Great Quickness [1], Powerful Relic [3], Messenger's Memory [1], Tough [1]
Flaws Heroic Personality [1], Usurer [1], Pious [3], Outsider (Jewish) [3], Tragic Communication (bluntness) [1], (Divine) Animal Companion [1], Greedy [0]

Divine Powers
Touch of the Pearls (InAq5)
Aura of Divine Presence (MuIm10)
Blade of Holy Flame (CrIg15)

Personality Traits: Brave +4, Observant to Judaic tradition +4, Valiant Defender +5, Voracious Eater +2, Loyal to Huan +3

Abilities
Speak Yiddish 5
Animal Handling (hunting dogs) 2 (15)
Area Lore: Iberian Peninsula (Jewish settlements) 2 (15)
Area Lore: England (Jewish settlements) 2 (15)
Area Lore: Scotland (Orkney Islands) 1 (5)
Artes Liberales (arithmetic) 3 (30)
Athletics (running) 2 (15)
Awareness (alertness) 4 (50)
Bargain (usury) 3 (30)
Bows (Welsh longbow) 4 (50)
Brawl (dodge) 4 (50)
Code of Hermes (Tribunal procedures) 3 (30)
Dominion Lore (angels) 3 (30)
Folk Ken (merchants) 4 (50)
Great Weapon (poleaxe) 9 (150/225) +2
Halakha (unintentional sin) 2 (15)
Hunt (deer) 3 (30)
Infernal Lore 1 (5)
Leadership (battle) 2 (15)
Legerdemain (lockpicking) 1 (5)
Order of Hermes Lore (Mercere) 3 (30)
Ride (battle) 2 (15)
Single Weapon (longsword and heater shield) 6 (105)
Speak Hebrew (storytelling) 4 (50)
Speak Latin (Hermetic usage) 4 (50)
Speak Greek (philosophy) 3 (30)
Speak Middle Low German (merchant lingo) 4 (50)
Stealth (sneak) 4 (50)
Survival (forest) 3 (30)
Swim (strong currents) 2 (15)
Theology (Torah) 2 (15)

Magic Items (50 levels + 2*40 = 130 levels)
Boots of Seven League Stride (w/ An, He, and Te requisites), unlimited uses/day (40 lvs)
Belt of Belin's Blessing, casts Doublet of Impenetrable Silk and Gift of Bear's Fortitude each 3/day (44 lvs)
Selkie's Skin (sealskin, turns its wearer into a seal) 2/day (26 lvs)
(20 lvs traded for raising Per from -3 to -1)

Combat
Longsword and heater shield (mounted): Init +6, Atk +18, Def +18, Dmg +8 (+14 w/ Blade of Holy Flame)
Poleaxe (on foot): Init +5, Atk +21, Def +16, Dmg +13 (+24 w/ Blade of Holy Flame)
Welsh longbow: Init +2, Atk +13, Def (Brawl) +9, Dmg +10
Soak: 14 (20 with Bear's Fortitude and Doublet)

Huan
Looks something like this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Loupa.jpg
I have nothing in mind for his abilities or any such, though he should be really big (Size +2) like his namesake, a fierce fighter and good at hunting.
Should be able to speak, but generally chooses not to do so.

For own interest, how did you calculate the bonus xp from "linguist" virtue?
IIRC it's +1/4 xp in language in all the known languages other than the one where the xp is put.

Erp, I thought it'd been as an Affinity with all languages. Never noticed it wasn't! (THOUGHT that was a bit too good to be true.) It's not like a generalist hermetic virtue, it's just half-an-affinity for all languages. I'll fix it.

Linguist is a... bad ability. I thought so before, then saw your character, revised my opinion... and now, i go back to it: too bad linguist is not as you say an affinity with all languages.

Right, I've had a look over Bereleyn, and she looks interesting. Is there any reason she has very high weapon skills and no Area Lores? It's not a huge issue, but at the moment her abilities don't seem to match the background she's been given.

Also, could you have a think and tell me what she's been doing up in the Orkneys, and what she's doing right at this moment?

...Because I'm an idiot and instead of switching the set I'd had out for another set I'd deleted them and then forgot about it >.<

Originally I wanted to have her main regions of work to be Iberia and Levant. The reason she's such a skilled fighter is she disguises herself and defends Jewish populations against Crusaders, all very hush-hush. But then I wasn't sure if that should give me a Dark Secret or not. Then I'd wanted to switch the Area Lores to the outskirts of the British isles and Scandinavia because it's less civilised and if her official work is on the opposite side of the "world" then if anyone ever does figure out that there's someone killing Crusaders who attack Jews, then she has an "alibi." "Hey, I don't even know these guys, I never saw them before in my life, see, I hang out up here in BFEngland." (It's not like she's assassinating nobles, she just takes personal offense when heavily armed Christians hold swords to the throats of her people and say "Convert or die.") Then I thought, no, it'd be better if she DOES do it during the seasons she's working, because if she's working that's a pretty good alibi. The boots of 7LS were critical :slight_smile:

As to what she's doing there now-- the most obvious introduction into gameplay seems to be she's delivering a message to a magus, and it's the last thing she has to do before she has time off; she may have made a daring rescue recently in Espana and now needs to lay low for a while, giving her good reason to associate with other people's questionable deeds :slight_smile:

Okay, sounds good. I see you've revised the skill list - I'll take that as your final one unless you say otherwise.

...And that, I believe, is your cue!

I'm not sure but i counted:
10 flaws
21 virtues +the free blood of heroes for mythic companion and the free well traveled for redcap. But a mythic companion has flaw x2 virtues + a free (here blood of heroes)

Another point: you say "com -5" but you have no "poor communication x2" flaws... so your com is effectively -1 [-3] and with your tragic communication, -3 when appropriate to the right kind of situation.

The free supernatural heritage virtue is Strong Angelic Heritage (from RoP:D). Blood of Heroes is itself a zero-point virtue, analogous to The Gift.

At creation her Com is bought down to -5. The -3 is her adjusted score, having traded twenty levels' worth of magic items for raising her negative Characteristics up by two. This is not associated with Tragic Communication-- that flaw is a specialty for a negative Characteristic that, in those specific situations, makes you subtract three from your total and roll an additional botch die. The specialty in this case is bluntness-- She's almost completely lacking in tact (you'll note I took zero Guile).

How can you bought a -5 charact without poor (characteristic) ??