Character Creation

Hi,

I have noticed that the OOC Chat thread is mostly used for character creation. Actual OOC Chat is liable to get lost in the shuffle.

Players already in the midst of creating characters (I think that's only Kelloppy at this point) should continue to post there. Any new players who join will post here.

Anyway,

Ken

Marcus ex Jerbiton

Saga: Matters of the Heart
Characteristics: Int +2, Per -1, Pre 0, Com +4, Str -1, Sta +4, Dex 0, Qik 0
Size: 0
Age: 25 (25), Height: 5'7'', Weight: 160 lbs, Gender: Male
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (0)
Confidence: 1 (3)

Virtues and Flaws: The Gift, Gentle Gift, Improved Characteristics (×2), Great Stamina(x1), Free Expression, Book Learner (Book Quality: +3), Good Teacher, Great Communication, Hermetic Magus, Animal Companion, Overconfident(3), Magic Addiction, Necessary Condition(Hand clap), Weird Magic (Botches on Stressed Casting: Extra botch die),Optimistic (1),Motion Sickness

Personality Traits: Forgetable +3, Brave +2, Studious +1

Combat:

Dodge: Init: +0, Attack --, Defense +1, Damage --
Fist: Init: +0, Attack +1, Defense +1, Damage -1
Kick: Init: -1, Attack +1, Defense +0, Damage +2
Staff: Init: +1, Attack +5, Defense +5, Damage +1
Dagger: Init: +0, Attack +4, Defense +2, Damage +2

Soak: +4

Fatigue levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-5), -3 (6-10), -5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20)

Abilities:

Artes Liberales 1 (ceremonial magic)
Charm 2 (first impressions)
Code of Hermes 1 (tribunal procedures)
Writer 1 (Hermetic writing)
Etiquette 2 (peasants)
Penetration 1 (Herbam)
Folk Ken 2 (townsfolk)
Guile 2 (fast excuses)
Latin 5 (hermetic usage)
Concentration 2 (reading)
Magic Theory 3 (Rego)
English 5 (storytelling)
Order of Hermes Lore 2 (Jerbiton)
Brawl 1 (Dagger)
Scribe 1 (copying)
Great Weapon 1 (Staff)
Parma Magica 2 (Mentem)

Arts: Cr 3, In 1, Mu 0, Pe 0, Re 10, An 0, Aq 0, Au 0, Co 5, He 7, Ig 0, Im 0, Me 0, Te 0, Vi 4

Equipment: Wizardly robes; Pack; Bag of Seeds

Encumbrance: 0 (1)

Spells Known:

Intuition of the Forest (InHe 10) +13, Mastery 1 (quiet casting)

Repel the Wooden Shafts (ReHe 10) +22, Mastery 1 (fast casting)

Piercing Shaft of Wood (Mu(Re)He 10) +12, Mastery 1 (penetration)

Lifting the Dangling Puppet (ReCo 15) +20, Mastery 1 (penetration)

Gather the Essence of the Beast (ReVi 15) +19, Mastery 1 (still casting)

Spasms of the Uncontrolled Hand (ReCo 5) +20, Mastery 1 (fast casting)

Lord of the Trees (ReHe 25) +22, Mastery 1 (penetration)

The Unseen Porter (ReTe 10) +15, Mastery 1 (multiple casting)

Wizard's Sidestep (ReIm 10) +15, Mastery 1 (fast casting)

Rise of the Feathery Body (ReCo 10) +20, Mastery 1 (fast casting)

appearance:
Markus is a very average looking Brown haired man. His skin is worn from much travel. He dresses as a well to do merchant when he can, other wise in his blue scholarly type robe. He is very forgetable, an every man face with perhaps a hint of prominence to his nose.

Maxell Wolfe the middle sibling of three boys, was born to Connor Wolfe and his wife Anne in a lesser district(poor) of London. They moved to Liverpool after Maxell's father was injured and could no longer work as a tinsmith. The move would bring them closer to other members of their extended family, who would help them get by as the boys grew to manhood and could help the family more. On the journey to Liverpool a great storm mired their cart and they sought shelter in a grove of trees, hoping to block the majority of the storms effects. They were successful, but they had stumbled on a huge nest of spiders which swarmed, pestering them throughout the storm. Maxell was bitten the worst, and was the only one that experienced any significant pain from the bites.
The next day when the storm was over Maxell was quite feverish. He fainted, writhing on the ground and was bundled into the cart as soon as it was dug free. He did not awaken until he was in Liverpool. His family bartered with a kindly chiurgeon for his care. The chiurgeon treated him keeping the boy for over a week at his office. During this time the Jerbiton Justin Drake noticed the boys Gentle Gift, purely by accident, for it was he who had been posing as the chiurgeon. He bartered with the family for the boy to be his Apprentice. The agreement was made, money changed hands and Maxell was on his journey to Hermetic greatness.
The boy learned Latin, as if born to it. An innate confidence pervaded his efforts, far outstripping any actual ability he had. Dreams of Spiders haunted him through his early life. He was a strange boy even for an apprentice Mage. His magics often beget strange effects, especially when he lost control. Control of himself being the main problem. Maxell often overused his Magic casting spell after spell, giddy with power. Once when sent to gather Oak Galls for his master during their travels, the wasps attacked him. Not overly fearful for his own safety, he tried controlling the wasps using casting spell after spell. He didn't even notice the increasing numbers of wasps present until his last spontaneous spell went all wacky. The various wasps grouped together, no longer under his control. The insects melded into one super insect, a giant Oak Wasp.
His spells overtaking him, Maxell passed out, the last thing he heard a "Buzzzzzz" from the MegaWasp. When the unwise Apprentice awoke, he had been stung painfully in the chest several times. He could barely move, but he was alive. A "Crunch" caught his attention from somewhere to his left. A weasel was eatting the remains of the big Wasp. Maxell, having been gone to long was soon located by his mentor Justin. Scoldings followed, but it didn't stop Maxell from returning to the spot with food. He soon befriended his saviour and the two travelled together from that day forward. Justin often marvelled at the creatures intelligence, 'for a creature with a nonmagical nature.'
No matter where Marcus goes he tries to walk as much as possible. He has always had a distaste for riding horses and rapid motion, even carts make him ill. He often had to deal with it, prefering a place in a cart where he could read and try to fight through his illness. Never successful, regular pitstops were a necessity. A constant thorn in Justin's side also.
Even though his apprentice was very needy, Justin was very proud of him. Mainly due to his strength in writing, even evident when he told stories in his native English, the boy had a gift. Justin was training a future great author, or so he thought to himself. It wouldn't do to inflate the boys selfworth.
Post gauntlet he was given the name Markus, though he still often uses his given name Maxell.

Edit for addition of goals:

To write a single work, worthy of the great Masters.
To learn how to make Silk, his weasel friend into a truly Magical creature. (this may not be possible)
(all I can think of for now.)

Hi,

House Affiliation should probably be included in the header.

I have no problem with the imbalanced Pre and Com. However, do note that his negative Pre will sometimes get in the way of his awesome Com. Imagine having the opportunity to listen to Abraham Lincoln, in person, at his wisest, wittiest and most eloquent. Wow! Then imagine being completely distracted by the booger dangling from his nose, the odor of his last having bathed two months ago, and the rodent living in his hat.

Also, these stats require more virtues than you have taken: You need a second Great Stamina.

I'm not familiar with Motion Sickness; where is it from? Please indicate whether the Fear is major or minor; ditto for Overconfident.

The selected VFs are fine, though you might want to consider a few things:

• The combination of Overconfident, Twilight Prone and Weird Magic will send Marcus into Twilight more often than you might like. If you want him to Warp quickly, this is fine.
  • A fear of spiders taken as a flaw is a request "Ken, please sneak dangerous spiders into my stories"
  • Secondary Insight is not very good in a saga with a good library (which this is). You are welcome to keep it, of course.

Wow! Arts and Abilities add up! :slight_smile: How often does that happen on the first pass?

This spell doesn't exist in saga. Please refer to the game rules for Wards and for Realms.

No matter where Marcus goes he tries to walk as much as possible. He has always had a distaste for riding horses and rapid motion, even carts make him ill. He often had to deal with it, prefering a place in a cart where he could read and try to fight through his illness. Never successful, regular pitstops were a necessity. A constant thorn in Justin's side also.

Post gauntlet he was given the name Markus, though he still often uses his given name Maxell.

Edit for addition of goals:

To write a single work, worthy of the great Masters.
To learn how to make Silk, his weasel friend into a truly Magical creature. (this may not be possible)
(all I can think of for now.)
[/quote]
Ok. There's some good stuff here, and stuff that needs consideration and development.

The most important development needed is that of intentions and motivations. A character who just wants to write books isn't likely to be the subject of interesting stories, is he? I do notice that Marcus has only four points of story/personality flaws (is it four?) yet that's still four stories per cycle for you to come up with and that's what really describes him.

The second thing to think about are the selection of VFs. I normally don't say much about the utility or effectiveness of those a player selects, yet I'd like you to have fun: Secondary Insight doesn't do what I suspect you think it does. Writing a book that competes with the masters requires more than good Com: If his goal is to entertain, he needs an appropriate professional skill, and Free Expression doesn't hurt. If his goal is to write a book that breaks new ground, he has to discover something new; otherwise, high skills only reflect a perfect knowledge of what is known and a great ability to communicate it.

But back to motivation and intention: Far more interesting than what he writes is what drives him to want to write it.

In two months real time irl, what four or five noteworthy things do you want Marcus to have done?

Anyway,

Ken

Ok. There's some good stuff here, and stuff that needs consideration and development.

The most important development needed is that of intentions and motivations. A character who just wants to write books isn't likely to be the subject of interesting stories, is he? I do notice that Marcus has only four points of story/personality flaws (is it four?) yet that's still four stories per cycle for you to come up with and that's what really describes him.

------ He has 5 points in flaws(personality/story) now. optimism 1, overconfident 3, and the animal companion one.

The second thing to think about are the selection of VFs. I normally don't say much about the utility or effectiveness of those a player selects, yet I'd like you to have fun: Secondary Insight doesn't do what I suspect you think it does. Writing a book that competes with the masters requires more than good Com: If his goal is to entertain, he needs an appropriate professional skill, and Free Expression doesn't hurt. If his goal is to write a book that breaks new ground, he has to discover something new; otherwise, high skills only reflect a perfect knowledge of what is known and a great ability to communicate it.

------Good point. Changes made.
But back to motivation and intention: Far more interesting than what he writes is what drives him to want to write it.

In two months real time irl, what four or five noteworthy things do you want Marcus to have done?

1. Make life easier for his family or help them in some way.
  2. Fall in love. (I'm a sappy romantic, all good stories have a love interest.)
  3. I can see him becoming really interested in ancient magics, perhaps pre-mercurian stuff. Some discovery in that regard might be great.
  4. Discover something unusual about his animal companion.
  5. Save a damsel, rescue a town, kiss a dragon. Something truly heroic.
  6. Return the One Ring to Mordor. (couldn't resist)
    Anyway,

Ken
[/quote]
I hope this was fairly legible.

Hi,

Thanks. I never notice that one. :slight_smile:

Ok. I wasn't sure if you wanted spiders! It's my job to make flaws matter, after all. :slight_smile:/2

You don't need to do anything. All magi have the opportunity to have a cool familiar, unless they have a flaw to the contrary. Taking Animal Companion for a flaw just means that the animal comes with stories. Having that same weasel be your familiar changes nothing. You're good either way.

nod I'm going to rule that certain kinds of magical travel also make him ill. Sudden, disconcerting teleports; rapid acrobatic flying, etc. Calm, slow magical movement does not bother him.

Note that it is best if you decide the way.

Please take this the next step. Falling in love is something that happens to a person, not something one does. I might plan to go on a cruise and meet women--something I do--but falling in love either happens or does not.

A discovery is an outcome. What he does (that may or may not result in a discovery) is an action.

Outcomes. considers So, with 5 personality/status/story flaws, Markus gets to initiate at least 5 stories. "I try to discover the secret of whatever" doesn't get us very far, leading to my asking "How?" Similarly, Markus probably doesn't go around looking for damsels in distress to rescue. (How does one do this, except in Arcadia?)

Initiating a story is more like, "I travel to Egypt to see the Great Pyramid," or "My two sisters have married two different Scottish Highlander clan chiefs; both chiefs have sent mail asking for my assistance and now I have to set things right" or "Faeries replace my weasel with a lump of coal, and I have to retrieve him," or "I kidnap the count's youngest daughter because she is beautiful...."

[/quote]
Yes. The green font was a little tough, but it worked.

Anyway,

Ken

Ok. I wasn't sure if you wanted spiders! It's my job to make flaws matter, after all. :slight_smile:/2

Actually, I thought about it and spiders just wasn't that interesting. And with the, most likely, prevailance of them when I do my stories, it might get kinda hackneyed.

You don't need to do anything. All magi have the opportunity to have a cool familiar, unless they have a flaw to the contrary. Taking Animal Companion for a flaw just means that the animal comes with stories. Having that same weasel be your familiar changes nothing. You're good either way.

Good.

nod I'm going to rule that certain kinds of magical travel also make him ill. Sudden, disconcerting teleports; rapid acrobatic flying, etc. Calm, slow magical movement does not bother him.

Makes perfect sense.

Note that it is best if you decide the way.

Since I fleshed out a little more about his family in my background, I know they live along the Mercey near Liverpool, which can be a borough or a thriving town, whatever you want. His family has not achieved the former wealth, in his eyes, that they had before his fathers injury. He will set out to visit them and see what he can do to help the situation. Upon reaching the area he finds that the family in living on the edge of destruction. The house is kept slovenly, very unlike his mother. The animals are listless(just a few sheep, goats or whatever, and some chickens) and neglected. His brothers lay about, only Oeric (the younger brother) doing any work. The fields are going to pot. They have been effected by the supernatural in some way. Marcus investigates finding that it all starts from a recent expansion of one of the small fields.(How much do you want me to flesh this out?) I am thinking that it is a artificially created depression, inflicted by angered spirits of dead warriors(maybe vikings) that have had their fitful rest disturbed by the field expansion.

Please take this the next step. Falling in love is something that happens to a person, not something one does. I might plan to go on a cruise and meet women--something I do--but falling in love either happens or does not.

Wanting to find further fodder for his writing, Markus sets out for London. Whilst there he takes in plays and tries to rub elbows with the uppercrust. A young lady of well-to-do stature catches his eye. He tries to win her favor...

A discovery is an outcome. What he does (that may or may not result in a discovery) is an action.

Gotcha. He will travel around England, mainly on foot. :slight_smile: He wants to investigate various Megaliths, such as Stonehenge and other less well known sites. He wants to get a feel for the areas for his writing and hopefully find something interesting for his research also.

A heavy rain has caused mudslides around liverpool. Marcus comes to attempt a rescue. It wouldn't be rescuing a whole town, but any building on an unstable section, would be threatened and Marcus might be able to help.

Outcomes. considers So, with 5 personality/status/story flaws, Markus gets to initiate at least 5 stories. "I try to discover the secret of whatever" doesn't get us very far, leading to my asking "How?" Similarly, Markus probably doesn't go around looking for damsels in distress to rescue. (How does one do this, except in Arcadia?)

Initiating a story is more like, "I travel to Egypt to see the Great Pyramid," or "My two sisters have married two different Scottish Highlander clan chiefs; both chiefs have sent mail asking for my assistance and now I have to set things right" or "Faeries replace my weasel with a lump of coal, and I have to retrieve him," or "I kidnap the count's youngest daughter because she is beautiful...."
[/quote]
Ok, this was all really helpful, especially the part with the Scottish Highlander clan chiefs. It really helped me figure out what you wanted, at least, I hope so. YMMV
Anyway,

Ken
[/quote]
Do you want me to edit my character in the previous post or repost a total different post?

Hi,

True. It's not the spiders that are interesting, so much as the webs of intrigue.

This is the kind of thing that can be fleshed out as you need it. He has a family with issues, and so long as we have a consistent understanding of his relationship with them, you can add to it as needed. For example, given this background, stories about the decline of family fortunes are easy, and you can pull out something particular whenever you want. But having a cousin suddenly turn up as a baron is a lot less likely.

Of course, if you particularly enjoy the family curse, you can give it to Markus also as a flaw. Or perhaps he has escaped it as a magus.

That's a particular action, and is perfectly acceptable as the beginning of a story. Markus can make this an Easy story, and given his Gentle Gift this will be casual and simple and in some way successful. Or he can make it a Difficult story, and then I'll have to add complications that add potential risks and rewards. You don't have to (and shouldn't) decide this kind of thing right now; this is just to support thinking along productive lines.

That's the kind of thing I mean. If you take another look at the rules for initiating stories, there's a section for complications: If you want druids to show up, you can simply add that as a possible complication, and I'll probably take the hint.

And so on.

One useful thing to remember is that the best stories end when the ultimate goal is achieved. Indiana Jones might want to find the Ark, but once he finds it, his adventure is done. Sequels are possible, of course, but these are usually pale shadows of the original. Similarly, cracking the limits of Hermetic Magic wide open tends to retire the character, and possibly the saga! The best characters have motivations beyond a single goal, and the best goals are mere symbols of the underlying personality.

I think it did too!

New post please. The stories for the Cycle don't go in the character sheet; once the character is complete you might find yourself with other ideas.

Anyway,

Ken

Marcus

Saga: Matters of the Heart

Characteristics: Int +2, Per -1, Pre 0, Com +4, Str -1, Sta +4, Dex 0, Qik 0
Size: 0

Age: 25 (25), Height: 5'5'', Weight: 140 lbs, Gender: Male

Appearance: Black hair with a sort of Brown sheen in the light. Dark piercing eyes, along with a constant satisfied smirk. He wears gray robes when he can or more 'normal' well to do attire.

Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (0)
Confidence: 1 (3)

Virtues :
The Gentle Gift
Improved Characteristics (×2)
Great Stamina
Book Learner (Book Quality: +3)
Free Expression (Bonus: +3 to create new work of art)
Flawless Magic (Study Totals: Doubled for spell mastery)
Good Teacher
Great Communication
Hermetic Magus

Flaws:
Animal Companion
Overconfident(3)
Magic Addiction
Necessary Condition (Clap his hands once)
Optimistic(1)
Weird Magic (Botches on Stressed Casting: Extra botch die)
Motion Sickness

Personality Traits:
Forgetable +3
Brave +2
Studious +1

Combat:

Dodge: Init: +0, Attack --, Defense +1, Damage --
Fist: Init: +0, Attack +1, Defense +1, Damage -1
Kick: Init: -1, Attack +1, Defense +0, Damage +2
Staff: Init: +1, Attack +5, Defense +5, Damage +1
Dagger: Init: +0, Attack +4, Defense +2, Damage +2

Soak: +4

Fatigue levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-5), -3 (6-10), -5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20)

Abilities: Artes Liberales 1 (ceremonial magic), Charm 2 (first impressions), Code of Hermes 1 (tribunal procedures), Writer 1 (Hermetic writing), Etiquette 2 (peasants), Penetration 1 (Herbam), Folk Ken 2 (townsfolk), Guile 2 (fast excuses), Latin 5 (hermetic usage), Concentration 2 (reading), Magic Theory 3 (Rego), English 5 (storytelling), Order of Hermes Lore 2 (Jerbiton), Brawl 1 (Dagger), Scribe 1 (copying), Great Weapon 1 (Staff), Parma Magica 2 (Mentem)

Arts: Cr 3, In 1, Mu 0, Pe 0, Re 10, An 0, Aq 0, Au 0, Co 5, He 7, Ig 0, Im 0, Me 0, Te 0, Vi 4

Equipment: Wizardly robes; Pack; Bag of Seeds

Encumbrance: 1 (1)

Spells Known:

Intuition of the Forest (InHe 10) +13, Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
Repel the Wooden Shafts (ReHe 10) +22, Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Piercing Shaft of Wood (Mu(Re)He 10) +12, Mastery 1 (penetration)
Lifting the Dangling Puppet (ReCo 15) +20, Mastery 1 (penetration)
Gather the Essence of the Beast (ReVi 15) +19, Mastery 1 (still casting)
Spasms of the Uncontrolled Hand (ReCo 5) +20, Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Lord of the Trees (ReHe 25) +22, Mastery 1 (penetration)
The Unseen Porter (ReTe 10) +15, Mastery 1 (multiple casting)
Wizard's Sidestep (ReIm 10) +15, Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Rise of the Feathery Body (ReCo 10) +20, Mastery 1 (fast casting)

Background:
Maxell Wolfe the middle sibling of three boys, was born to Connor Wolfe and his wife Anne in a lesser district(poor) of London. His brothers Michel, the older and Oeric his then baby brother. They moved to Liverpool after Maxell's father was injured and could no longer work as a tinsmith. The move would bring them closer to other members of their extended family, who would help them get by as the boys grew to manhood and could help the family more. They would eventually settle unto a small farm near the Mercey river.
On the journey to Liverpool a great storm mired their cart and they sought shelter in a grove of trees, hoping to block the majority of the storms effects. They were successful, but they had stumbled on a huge nest of spiders which swarmed, pestering them throughout the storm. Maxell was bitten the worst, and was the only one that experienced any significant pain from the bites.
The next day when the storm was over Maxell was quite feverish. He fainted, writhing on the ground and was bundled into the cart as soon as it was dug free. He did not awaken until he was in Liverpool. His family bartered with a kindly chiurgeon for his care. The chiurgeon treated him keeping the boy for over a week at his office. During this time the Jerbiton Justin Drake noticed the boys Gentle Gift, purely by accident, for it was he who had been posing as the chiurgeon. He bartered with the family for the boy to be his Apprentice. The agreement was made, money changed hands and Maxell was on his journey to Hermetic greatness.
The boy learned Latin, as if born to it. An innate confidence pervaded his efforts, far outstripping any actual ability he had. Dreams of Spiders haunted him through his early life, but faded as he got older. He was a strange boy even for an apprentice Mage. His magics often beget strange effects, especially when he lost control. Control of himself being the main problem. Maxell often overused his Magic casting spell after spell, giddy with power. Once when sent to gather Oak Galls for his master during their travels, the wasps attacked him. Not overly fearful for his own safety, he tried controlling the wasps using casting spell after spell. He didn't even notice the increasing numbers of wasps present until his last spontaneous spell went all wacky. The various wasps grouped together, no longer under his control. The insects melded into one super insect, a giant Oak Wasp.
His spells overtaking him, Maxell passed out, the last thing he heard a "Buzzzzzz" from the MegaWasp. When the unwise Apprentice awoke, he had been stung painfully in the chest several times. He could barely move, but he was alive. A "Crunch" caught his attention from somewhere to his left. A weasel was eatting the remains of the big Wasp. Maxell, having been gone to long was soon located by his mentor Justin. Scoldings followed, but it didn't stop Maxell from returning to the spot with food. He soon befriended his saviour and the two travelled together from that day forward. Justin often marvelled at the creatures intelligence, 'for a creature with a nonmagical nature.'
Even though his apprentice was very needy, Justin was very proud of him. Mainly due to his strength in writing, even evident when he told stories in his native English, the boy had a gift. Justin was training a future great author, or so he thought to himself. It wouldn't do to inflate the boys selfworth.