Character creation

I should have pointed out that Difficult Underlings is major as well, but I still fail at basic maths. I'll remove no sense of direction, and change social contacts to sharp ears. I'll spend the remaining skill xp as you suggest, so I think Eudocia is done now.

For Ilia, the only problem was Elemental Aegis right? I'd like to redesign the spell so that it just offers soak versus elemental damage. ReIg is the only one which talks about damage mitigation; ReAu says Base 10 protects against 'very severe weather' of which lightning is an example - so would a ReAu base 10 ward completely stop Incantation of Lightning's +30 damage, even though WaF&H only offers soak versus Ball of Abysmal Flame? I'm happy to go with a version of WAH&F which offers the soak against all four elements if that's simpler.

Actually level 10 base aurum says protect against "a type" of very severe weather phenomenon. The spell is really just too broad to work at the levels you have.

Eudocia can be posted.

Lamech, I assume you realize that Abigail still needs 15 levels of spells.

These where the two that were supposed to finish it up!

Okay, go ahead and post Abigail then.

Alright then Abigail posted. Now we should probably talk about the focus. Its not important now, but here was the general idea behind it: Spells that make plants grow, keep them healthy or blossom would all fall under farming. Healing plants would too. It could not for example create plants, or plant products. Due to the minor nature of the focus, I don't think it should be able to work on animals. That all make sense? Secondly I was thinking of adding

Just under the virtues for clarification?
Anyway it pretty clearly covers the spells I have it applied too. Its time for Ars Rune Factory!
That all make sense?

I think I must have been unclear in my last post, sorry. I agree that the ReAu guideline about protection from a type of weather is overly broad, and I want to know how to make a soak-boosting spell, like Ward against Heat and Flame. The guidelines in the core book aren't very specific, hence my questions.

Ward against Heat and Flame is a level 25 Rego Ignem spell which gives +15 soak versus fire (base effect 4, +2 for up to +15 damage, +1 touch, +2 sun). Do the other elemental forms offer a similar base effect (base effect 4 = +5 soak), and have the same scaling rate (i.e. +1 magnitude for +5 soak)? Ilia has 20 spell levels left over, and I'd like to have a Concentration duration version of Ward against Heat and Flame which works against lightning as well, but without knowing the level of the base effect of 'soak versus lightning', I can't finish the spell myself. Sorry if my original posts on this were unclear!

There is none. There is just a total ward. Also the ward against heat and flame totally blocks fires if they are small enough. A +15 ward blocks any fire of strength +15 or less.

Based on silveroak's advice, I've started with my grogs. Below is a first crack at the ship's cook. My main concern is that I'm not sure the languages are historically accurate.

I've been thinking what I could do for my Magus; two ideas are either a Bonisagus magus with a driving interest in research of all kinds, even mundane - what in the 19th century would come to be called a "Natural Historian"; highest arts probably Mu/In/An. Or a Guernicus set on ensuring the Code is adhered to at all times, even here with no-one else around; highest arts probably In/Co/Me, but not definitely. Only worry is whether a novice player should be a Guernicus.

Karpos, Ship's cook (grog):
Characteristics: Int 0, Per -1, Str 2, Sta 3, Pre -1, Com 0, Dex 0, Qik 0
Size: +1
Decrepitude: 0
Virtues: Covenfolk, Enduring Constitution, Large
(Fatigue penalties -1; Wound penalties -1; +3 resist pain)
(Size +1)

Flaws: Busybody, Missing Eye
(-3 missile attack; -1 melee attack; Blind side)
Personality: Loyal +2, Irascible +1, Perfectionist +1
Combat:
Fist: +0 Init, +4 Attack, +4 Defense, +2 Damage
Knife (kitchen): +0 Init, +5 Attack, +4 Defense, +4 Damage
Soak: 3 (unarmoured)
Fatigue: 0,0,0,-2,-4,Unconscious
Wounds: 0 (1-6), -2 (7-12), -4 (13-18), Incapacitated (19-24)

Abilities:
Greek 5 (Sailing)
Turkish 3 (Bargaining)
Italian 2 (Bargaining)
Brawl 4 (Wrestling)
Swim 2 (Siding others)
Athletics 3 (Running)
Folk Ken 3 (Sailors)
Area Lore (Cyclades) 3 (Legends)
Profession (sailor) 2 (Near shore)
Craft (cooking) 5 (rationing)
Carouse 2 (No hangover)
Bargain 3 (Food markets)
Survival 2 (Foraging)
Music 1 (Sea shanties)
Animal Handling 2 (Poultry)
Chirurgy 2 (Binding wounds)
Etiquette 1 (Ships' officers)

XP spend
0-5 years:
Greek 5
Brawl 2 (15)
Swim 2 (15)
Athletics 1 (5)
Folk Ken 1 (5)
Area Lore (Cyclades) 1 (5)

Later Life 23*15 = (345XP remaining)
Brawl 4 (35) (310 remaining)
Profession (sailor) 2 (15) (295)
Craft (cooking) 5 (75) (220)
Carouse 2 (15) (205)
Bargain 3 (30) (175)
Folk Ken 3 (25) (150)
Turkish 3 (30) (120)
Italian 2 (15) (105)
Area Lore (Cyclades) 3 (25) (80)
Music 1 (5) (75)
Survival 2 (15) (60)
Animal Handling 2 (15) (45)
Athletics 3 (25) (20)
Chirurgy 2 (15) (5)
Etiquette 1 (5)

Karpos can be posted, looks good. Either mage idea would work, though I suspect the Bonisagus would be more welcome by other characters. (at least until he starts taking apprentices)

To answer this question more fully the elementalist's ward against heat and flame would outright nullify lightning if included in the ward. Just as it nullifies fire of less than +15 in value.

The fact that we're goingt to have a real chef cooking for us surprises me more than having a female captain. :smiley:
If I had created a ship's cook, I'd have given him cook 2 and the virtue: tough (used to beatings). :mrgreen:

The "pain in the ass" guernicus in the middle of nowhere could be fun. :smiley:
So bad the cook is not apothicary (poison) tainted by the evil "i'll bake my famous cake with an arsenic cherry on the top !"

Pain in the ass Guernicus can't really do a whole lot in the middle of nowhere. As long as we keep away from PvP the only thing that might cause trouble in scrying, and only that because of the potentially silly broad implications. "I use a spell to give me an Eagle's Eyesight! And I scried on someone..."

Boni OTOH is great for driving stories of integration and spelunking into any place that might have scraps of ancient magic to gather up. Also integration and original research is probably more than one character can reasonably accomplish on their own, in a reasonable amount of time, but a few magi can get in done right quick. Three magi working on a research project can get a hermetic breakthrough in less time than one lone magi can get a minor breakthrough. Promoting team work and support is always a plus in my book.

Also the code in the Order is confusing and highly politicized. I would get annoyed if I had to deal with it all the time. But if you want to deal with it, don't let me discourage you!

Heh. I suppose Craft 5 is quite high for a ship's cook. I could swap it around; but I rather like the idea you've got this grumpy culinary genius. For what it's worth, I don't intend him to gain any exp in Cooking, unless he finds a teacher or similar to unlock further potential.

I think I will go with the Bonisagus magus. Personally, I think the Guernicus sounds like quite good fun to play, but I would be hindered by unfamiliarity with the source.

Meantime, here is Grog number 2, the ship's lookout. In this case, I think it's reasonable for him to have acquired a Short Bow in his travels - with his eyesight, he might as well be able to hunt game. However, I can't take Bow as an ability, due to a lack of any sensible Virtues granting Martial skill. OTOH, I note that Aqua's grog Castor has Bow skill, but no relevant virtue - is this a house rule? (I think Castor also can't draw his longbow, but I could be wrong).

Next up in a day or two probably, my Companion. I think I'll go for a mundane craftsman instead of a merchant, as the latter may just be a hindrance, or at least not get much play, to start with. Thoughts what crafts might be useful and make sense to have been on the boat? I'm envisaging that he was along in order to sell his crafts, and/or to pick up raw materials.

Vassos, Ship's Lookout (grog):
A carefree young man. He joined the ship just as something to do after wandering southern Greece for some years. With no great aptitude for sailing but excellent eyesight, he can usually be found at the masthead keeping watch.

Characteristics: Int 0, Per +3, Str -1, Sta -2, Pre -1, Com -1, Dex +3, Qik +1
Size: 0
Decrepitude: 0
Virtues: Wanderer, Keen Vision, Perfect Balance
(+3 all sight rolls except missile attack)
(+6 to avoid falling, tripping)
Flaws: Carefree, Reckless
(Can roll Reckless instead of Brave)
Personality: Loyal +1, Cheerful +3, Reckless +3
Combat:
Fist: +1 Init, +5 Attack, +3 Defense, -1 Damage
Kick: +0 Init, +5 Attack, +2 Defense, +2 Damage
Short Bow: +0 Init, +6 Attack, +1 Defense, +5 Damage
Soak: -2 (unarmoured)
Fatigue: 0,0,-1,-3,-5,Unconscious
Wounds: -1 (1-5), -3 (6-10), -5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20)
Equipment: Short bow, arrows. Not usually carried
Encumbrance: Burden: 1 (Load: 2) - when carrying bow only

Abilities:
Greek 5 (Jokes)
Area Lore (Peloponnese) 2 (Geography)
Athletics 3 (Balance)
Awareness 5 (Spotting things at a distance)
Charm 2 (One-night stands)
Stealth 2 (Wilderness)
Brawl 2 (Dodging)
Carouse 3 (Drinking games)
Concentration 2 (Keeping watch)
Hunt 3 (Tracking)
Profession (Sailor) 2 (Working up the masts)
Folk Ken 2 (Landlords)

XP Spend:
0-5 years:
Greek 5
Area Lore (Peloponnese) 2 (15)
Athletics 1 (5)
Awareness 2 (15)
Charm 1 (5)
Stealth 1 (5)

Later Life 15*15 = (225 XP remaining)
Awareness 5 (60) (165)
Athletics 3 (25) (140)
Brawl 2 (15) (125)
Carouse 3 (30) (95)
Charm 2 (10) (85)
Concentration 2 (15) (70)
Hunt 3 (30) (40)
Profession (sailor) 2 (15) (25)
Stealth 2 (10) (15)
Folk Ken 2 (15) (0)

looks good, go ahead and post him.

I actually had a question, but I think it got lost. Is there a house rule allowing Bow skill without a relevant Virtue, as Castor has? I'll probably swap some in if so.

It's not a house rule, but a covenant virtue.

OK, so I can make a Concentration duration variant of Ward against Heat and Flame (see below) that also will nullify lightning? Silveroak, is that ok with you?

Ward against Fire and Thunder, ReIg(Au) 20
Range: Touch, Duration: Concentration, Target: Individual
Protects against fire and lightning, stopping both from coming within 1 pace of the warded target. The target also gains +15 soak versus fire and lightning damage.

Aha. The core book is sadly lacking covenant boons and hooks; could someone note (on the covenant thread) what our ones do?