character design and development

Do you have another idea for a major flaw that would fit better than a ghost that the covenant would just get rid of?

What do you think about a very first insight and breakthrough point towards Canaanite Necromancy? If silveroak allows it there will have to be a way to having it done during apprenticeship, possibly without Anna's consent...

A few things:

1. a plaguing ghost is clearly more free willed than some ghosts, and may simply chose not to be there at the time it would generally be gotten rid of
  2. the ghost could certainly have some vague hints about Canaanite necromancy which may or may not be true, as opposed to something it made up to save it's skin.
  3. the ghost may be in other ways someone you might not want to be rid of. For example if Evandrus' ghost were to start haunting the young apprentice hinting at insights into Canaanite necromancy he has picked up since being dead...

Without prior knowledge about the history of this covenant I like option 3.

Anyway I would have the story guide decide the specifics.

If the rest of my proposal looks good, should I edit Bravery?
I suppose most of the decisions about Bravery's education will still be decided by his mater.

go ahead and make the edits

Did the edits. Some questions left...

• when should the affinities apply? If they apply to the past, Bravery would have Co 8(6) instead of 7 and Re 12(10) instead of 10(3). If they apply to the future, should they emerge one by one or all at once?
  • is the haunting ghost old, new or a future thing (i.e. inherited flaw)?

When will Bravery get the House virtues and flaws? Should I add them as inherited already in the wiki?

Just realized the Inventive Genius is actually free... Will look for another minor.

The guidelines in Apprentices say after ten seasons of being taught by the master. Which is... actually, we've already gotten that far!

If you want to recalculate affinities to the beginning that is fine, just keep in mind my house rule about alternating rounding (basically because in my spreadsheet I keep track of original experience and then multiply by 1.5 instead of rounding each season). The ghost can come in whenever it fits your idea of the character arc, and yes you should add the house virtue now...

Ok.
Recalculated rounding up and down.
Added comprehend magic, inventive genius and chaotic magic as free virtues/flaw.

silveroak, do you still think a very early and similarly small insight/breakthrough (first magnitude) is too much of a stretch? Otherwise I'd propose a plot of young Bravery finds some vague hint to Zephaniah and her cult of necromancers (maybe from the bible?), studies it intensely for insight and invents a low magnitude spell to communicate with the dead. The ghost he spoke to will be plaguing him going forward.

If that is not a story to be told, I'll remove the ancient magic from it and still have the ghost appear the first time while experimenting with newly acquired knowledge of Mentem magic.

QPaC, what does Bravery's schedule look like the next seasons/years? I suppose it's going to be learning, being taught and assisting Anna most (if not all) of the time?

Its supposed to be being taught or learning basically. Probably two season being taught a year, most years. Then Bravery can choose books to read from the library the other seasons!

Idea for Aurthor's apprentice:
Raz
Raz is a young woman who has had a rough life. Mostly neglected by her parents, and kicked out at age 12, she struggled on the streets, briefly worked for some sort of witch, then briefly for a pickpocket, and was eventually hired by a merchant company for various "unsavory" tasks. Mostly a combination of picking locks, muggings and occasional use of her "influence". The merchants are mostly jerks as are most of her co-workers. She is a bit of a dreamer and has vague day dreams of learning she has great magical potential and being taken away by a handsome magician to a life of great luxury, wealth and power.

That seem good?

So we are talking about ten more years of apprenticeship with about 15-20 seasons of teaching and 20-25 seasons of learning and no other obligation or duty? Wow.

Do you have an idea already what is going to be the topic for the next couple of teaching seasons? I'd align the learning to that. I suppose Bravery would find one or another season doing his own research, given he has access to a lab... What about spells? There is a vast amount of lab texts, but that requires a lab as well...

silveroak I suppose Bravery's access to the library is somehow limited? (At least the Parma books are hopefully well protected from anyone that hasn't sworn the oath yet...)

What is the current year? Where should I post what books Bravery is going to read? Should I align that with QPaC, who in turn will post the schedule for a full year?

Bravery's mentor is his mother, and she's being a big softie to him, with little to no demands. Maybe he'll be forced to be a lab assistant at times, when she needs it.
Regarding library access, I believe Bravery's choices are put behind any full magus, but before the mundanes.

Current year is 1139.

We use this google sheet for planning activities :
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15bCmkttC6f3deSuZu0VhREnnqhH1O-QCUXV_Bc7abmw/edit#gid=0

I have introduced the plaguing ghost with some knowledge about the history of Canaanite Necromancy - if there is anything more than knowledge about the history is up to the ST.

With that introduction Bravery will study the Bible for Area Lore: Canaan in 1140 and seek for more. Given the below options from AM, I would say Evandrus mentioned the clay tablets and Bravery decided to learn Hebrew next. In parallel he will probably ask Anna if the Mercere might know about the clay tablets or even might have one... Does that seem ok, or would going for classical Greek and the books be the better advice?

You could always go on a pilgrimage and gain area lore by being in the area for a season. If your mother allows it...

True, but a ten year old on pilgrimage... Not sure I would allow it if I were her...
What would be the local language in the Levant? Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Arabic, all of the above? Does Hebrew have the same distinction between classical and modern, like Greek has it?

Edit: And given the usual quality for exploring an area (a maximum of 7 if I remember correctly) it'd have to be two seasons to show an effect. With the target from AM of 18+ it'd be a very long time spent traveling the Levant.

at this point s combination of French/Langues d'Oil (ruling class) and Arabic (commoners). Probably some Hebrew as well.

Ok, I finally decided to settle with Self-confident. It was a tight race between that and Affinity: Magic Theory.