Character design thread

This is where character design is discussed and character sheets come to live.

Titius Livius Ex Verditius

Titius Livius are one of Gudrun Tugurina’s apprentices and has lived a large part of his life in the vicinity of Durenmar. Right after his apprenticeship he travelled to Verdi to learn more Verditius cult lore and actually see the Domus Maga of his house. Titus stayed at Verdi for a year before he travelled back to the Rihne tribunal to search for a new home and thus came to live at “the covenant”.

Before becoming an apprentice in the Order of Hermes Titius Livius where known as Karl. Karl grew up in the city of Köln and as his farther where a furniture make little Karl where trained in the art of woodcarving as soon as he could hold woodworking tools. In his early teens Karl begun to develop the gift.

As the gift developed Karl became more and more shunned by the other townspeople but his immense skill in woodworking made sure that his fathers shop where visited by customers. Karl simply where in the back of the shop. If little Karl hadn’t one day walked right into a redcap when he went to the market to run some errands he’d probably would have remained a mere hedge magician. The redcap talked to the boy and reported him to Gudrun who knew that the young lad would make an excellent apprentice.

A few weeks later Karl’s father where convinced to let the boy go and become a wizard. Little Karl never knew that he where purchased for a large amount of silver and some magical crafting tools.

Gudrun Tigurina where a harsh mistress and trained Karl to become a magus. She taught him to excellence in the magical arts and to be proud of his hermetic heritage as a Verditius magi. Titius Livius where never interested in the gilds of the Rihne tribunal but he where introduced into a confraternity that where led by his mistress Gudrun Tigurina.

Questions for our story guide regarding character creation:

• How will I handle the confraternity? Shall I create one and will Titius be introduced into perhaps the first mystery of the confraternity?
• Can my character be introduced into one of the outer mysteries? How should we handle that in such case?

You can design your cofraternity if you like. You may be introduced to the first mysteries of your cofraternity if you wish, but you need to abide by the usual character design rules, so either take the appropriate virtues, or age the character sufficently to make it balance.

Oh one question more, how about magical focuses like wooden wand or wooden furniture’s that actually gives a bonus to enchanting the items not making that table tap dance. :laughing: There has been quite a discussion about the matter so I just thought I might ask.

I've moved this over into this thread.

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:10 am Post subject: Pandolfo ex Criamon

Pandolfo was born the youngest son of a minor baron of the Rhine. Expected to take up arms and serve as a knight to his eldest brother, the young man instead was drawn to the church and its teachings. Despite the application of repeated beatings, his father and instructers were unable to disabuse him of this calling. Finally, in a fit of frustration, Pandolfo was placed with a local knight on his way to the Holy Land. It was hoped that the young boy would learn the trade of arms if he could do so in God's name.

As the boy grew older, it became apparant that even this radical solution would not stand. Not only was Pandolfo disinterested in arms, his increasingly strange air, and his apparant incapacity for handling animals made it abundantly clear that he would never be a knight. Abandoned in Jerusalem, Pandolfo was discovered by a wandering Criamon mystic, who recognized the boy's latent abilities, and took him as apprentice.

Pandolfo is a rarity in the order, being a devout Christian. Moreover, he has found a way to function as a magi within the context of the Divine. Having spent years wandering Outremer and the pilgrimige routes with his master, he learned much of both the ways of men and those of the Art. Having completed his apprenticeship, Pandolfo now seeks to develop and practise his art.

Pandolfo ex Criamon, male, 27

Characteristic / Specialty / Score:

Intelligence / puzzles / 3
Perception / intuitive / 1

Strength: 0
Stamina / weathered / 1

Presence:
Communication:

Dexterity / gawky / -1
Quickness:

Virtue (Flaw) / Scope / Type
The Gift / Free / Hermetic
The Enigma / Free / Hermetic
Hermetic Magus / Free / Social
Special Circumstances: Dominion / Minor / Hermetic
Secondary Insight / Major / Hermetic
Cautious Sorcerer / Minor / Hermetic
Affinity with Rego / Minor / Hermetic
Affinity with Intellego / Minor / Hermetic
Puissant Enigma / Minor / General
Well-Travelled / Minor / General
Relic / Minor / General

Lame / Minor / General
Black Sheep / Major / Story
Pious / Major / Personal
Twilight Prone / Major / Hermetic

Ability / Specialty / Score:
German / / 5
Charm / First Impressions / 2
Guile / / 2
Folk Ken / Assesing Threats / 2
Area Lore: Rhine / Travel Routes / 2
Awareness / Danger / 2
Concentration / / 2
Survival / / 2
Athletics / / 2
Area Lore: Outremer / Holy Sites / 2
Language: Syrian / / 2
Language: Norman French / / 2
Area Lore: Italy / Ports / 1
Latin / / 4
Magic Theory / / 4
Parma Magica / / 1
Finesse / / 1
Penetration / / 1
Artes Liberales / / 2
Profession: Scribe / copying / 1
Dominion Lore / Pilgrimage / 1
The Enigma / / 1 (3)

Spells TBA

Gear

Weathered robes, boots, pilgrim's staff and hat, finger bone of St. James the Lesser, various pilgrim's badges.

Focuses do add to your Lab Total, yes.

This an outline for a character I'll fill in more detaisl when I get some time with my books tommorrow or possibly tonight

Born in 1195 to the daughter of a minor nobleman in the court of constantinople and a danish member of the varangian guard, during the blood and chaos of the sack of the city was abducted by Helena a maga and Theban witch looking for an apprentice. Then spenmt her time in a covenant located in the wilds of the hills above corinth .Never really took to the life in the wilderness missing the remembed comforts of youth in the city.Had a strong clach of personality with her mistress leading to fleeing the theban tribunal immeidatly after her gauntlet with a curse upon her and an ongoing feud with her parens and her followers. For safety and remembering her origins moved far away from thebes and chose the Rhine tribunal and an urban covenant where she could enjoy the comforts of an urban life.

This is good. Is there anything in background you particularly want to detail? I'd like everyone to do a little background work, and then when we have sheets we can go for some solid play.

It may help if I describe the covenant, yes? I'l do that in the next few days.

A covenant description is ncie but not vital.
I Want to sort out a bit more detail fro character background and also make sure virtues and flaws are properly incorporated so I'll need t do most of the actual design on the character tommorrow as I 'm off gmaing tonight

Titius Livius Ex Verditius

Characteristics: Int +3, Per -1, Pre +1, Com +1, Str 0, Sta 0, Dex 0, Qik 0

Size - Human: 0
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (2)

Virtues: Verditius magic (free), Skilled parens (minor), Puissant woodworking (minor), Affinity with woodworking (minor), Affinity with Herbam (minor), Puissant Herbam (minor), Inventive genius (minor), Major magical focus wooden furniture (major) , Puissant Philosophiae (minor), Enchanted casting tools (minor)

Flaws: Proud (major), Ambitious (minor), Confraternity member (minor), Weak magic resistance facing away from the caster (major), Fragile constitution (minor), Limited magic resistance Vim

Note that Puissant Philosophiae (minor), Enchanted casting tools (minor) and Fragile constitution (minor), Limited magic resistance Vim are results from ordeals and mysteries.

Abilities:
Area lore Köln 1 (Craftsmen)
Artes Liberales* 1 (Ceremonial magic)
Awareness 1 (Alertness)
Bargain 1 (Magical items)
Brawl 1 (Dodging)
Charm 2 (First impression)
Craft: Woodworking 5+2 (Furniture)
Code of Hermes 1 (Sale of magical items)
Finesse 1 (Fast casting)
Folk Ken 2 (Magi)
Guile 2 (Fast talk)
Language: Low German(?) 5 (Crafting terms)
Language: Latin* 4 (Hermetic use)
Lore: OOH 1 (Verditius magi)
Magic theory 4 (Enchanting items)
Parma magica 1 (Ignem)
Penetration 1 (Ignem)
Philosophiae 2+2 (Verditius runes)
Verditius cult lore 2 (Modify scripts)
Leadership 3 (Forge companions)
Carouse 1 (Drinking songs)

Arts
Cr: 5 An: 0 Ig: 5
In: 5 Au: 0 Im: 5
Mu: 5 Aq: 0 Me: 0
Pe: 5 Co: 0 Te: 5
Re: 5 He: 8+3 Vi: 3

Spells
Spell Te+Fo Bonus Level
Pilum of fire CrIg +10 20
Veil of invisibility PeIm +10 20
Air of Ghostly form CrAu +5 5
True sight of the air InAu +5 15
Invisible sling of Vilano ReTe +10 10
Whispering winds InAu +5 15
Shriek of the impeding shaft InHe +16 15
Wizards leap ReCo +5 15
Silent shout CrIm +10 10
Aura of Beguiling appearance MuIm +10 5
The clandestine mask MuIm +10 4

Personality Traits: Ambitious +3, Proud +3, Womaniser +1

Equipment: A large closet of different types of clothing. All in high quality and latest style.

Appearance: A man of average build with light brown hair. He usually trims his beard and has almost a different cut every week. This stature and clothing send out signals of a proud man that demands respect.

First year out of apprenticeship: Titius did the following:
• Raised his score in Verditius Cult lore to 2
• Learned the Enchanted Casting tools mystery
• Prepared a wooden work bench for enchantment. This workbench will be the focus of Titius lab one day.

For discussion as flaws will effect tone of campaign. No problem changing things if people prefer

Theodora Ex Miscallanae
Born in 1195 to the daughter of a minor noblewoman (Marina Modene ) in the court of Constantinople and a Danish member of the varangian guard(Halvor), during the blood and chaos of the sack of the city was abducted by Helena a maga and Theban witch looking for an apprentice. Then spent her time in a covenant located in the wilds of the hills above Corinth .She never really took to the life in the wilderness missing the remembered comforts of youth in the city and was also uncomfortable with the pagan attitudes of the covenant as they did not match with the values remembered from her Christian upbringing. She was however fascinated by the study of magic and took immediately to the commanding and calling of necromantic spirits , and other mountain spirits which she now believes may have been infernal spirits. This took her through her apprenticeship and acceptance as a maga of the house. After her apprenticeship was over she was taken in hand and instructed in the secrets of the covenant and inducted into the mystery rites of the covenant. This too seemed interesting and she ignored the somewhat disturbing overtones of the cult lore until it came time for her initiation. The ceremony cumulated in what Theodora had believed naively would be a symbolic sacrifice which turned out to be a real sacrifice , believing that it would be fatal to refuse Theodora carried out the sacrifice and then at the earliest opportunity fled the covenant and Greece fleeing to Germany and choosing an urban covenant both for its comfort and protection from some of the curses thrown at her by her parens.

Virtues
Ex Misc Summoning, Affinity Vim,
Major magical focus Necromancy
Command
Improved characteristics
Puissant Command
Venus Blessing
Second Sight

Flaws
Ex Misc Painful Magic
Enemies/Tormenting master/Diabolic Upbringing
Lecherous Minor
Hedge Wizard
Proud Minor
Major Malison Twlight Prone
Minor Malison – Will be attacked by any wild predator encountered

Mystery Cult Initiation
Season Spent being taught cult lore by Mystagogue +3,
Season spent in preperation for rite by fasting meditation and rituals +1
Specific time and place +3
Human Sacrifice +3

Grants Cthonic Magic

I've asked Andrew to post his character for approval because she has Cthonic Magic and is tormented by a diabolistic sect. For him to play this character I want at least two of the people intending to play to say "That's fine by me". Just to be clear, if you approve this character you -will-, no ifs, pay for these flaws with encouters with a powerful diabolic sect.

It is fine with me. Shall we make some changes to our characters?

Only if two other players say "Mad Max! Subject X is going to really reduce my fun!"

Hi,

I have no problem in principle, but what does Cthonic magic do? Given that he's had to perform a human sacrifice, I think that incorporating it will pretty much guarantee that there will be conflict with Pandolfo, unless the idea is that he's putting his diabolic past, and abilities, behind him.

On another issue, I just realized I've not yet posted spells or, I think, Arts for Pandolfo, which makes his confrontation a bit tricky :wink: I'll do so today.

FMB

Pandolfo ex Criamon, full draft

Pandolfo was born the youngest son of a minor baron of the Rhine. Expected to take up arms and serve as a knight to his eldest brother, the young man instead was drawn to the church and its teachings. Despite the application of repeated beatings, his father and instructers were unable to disabuse him of this calling. Finally, in a fit of frustration, Pandolfo was placed with a local knight on his way to the Holy Land. It was hoped that the young boy would learn the trade of arms if he could do so in God's name.

As the boy grew older, it became apparant that even this radical solution would not stand. Not only was Pandolfo disinterested in arms, his increasingly strange air, and his apparant incapacity for handling animals made it abundantly clear that he would never be a knight. Abandoned in Jerusalem, Pandolfo was discovered by a wandering Criamon mystic, who recognized the boy's latent abilities, and took him as apprentice.

Pandolfo is a rarity in the order, being a devout Christian. Moreover, he has found a way to function as a magi within the context of the Divine. Having spent years wandering Outremer and the pilgrimige routes with his master, he learned much of both the ways of men and those of the Art. Having completed his apprenticeship, Pandolfo now seeks to develop and practise his art.

Pandolfo ex Criamon, male, 27

Characteristic / Specialty / Score:

Intelligence / puzzles / 3
Perception / intuitive / 1

Strength: 0
Stamina / weathered / 1

Presence:
Communication:

Dexterity / gawky / -1
Quickness:

Virtue (Flaw) / Scope / Type
The Gift / Free / Hermetic
The Enigma / Free / Hermetic
Hermetic Magus / Free / Social
Special Circumstances: Dominion / Minor / Hermetic
Secondary Insight / Major / Hermetic
Cautious Sorcerer / Minor / Hermetic
Affinity with Rego / Minor / Hermetic
Affinity with Intellego / Minor / Hermetic
Puissant Enigma / Minor / General
Well-Travelled / Minor / General
Relic / Minor / General

Lame / Minor / General
Black Sheep / Major / Story
Pious / Major / Personal
Twilight Prone / Major / Hermetic

Ability / Specialty / Score:
German / / 5
Charm / First Impressions / 2
Guile / / 2
Folk Ken / Assesing Threats / 2
Area Lore: Rhine / Travel Routes / 2
Awareness / Danger / 2
Concentration / / 2
Survival / / 2
Athletics / / 2
Area Lore: Outremer / Holy Sites / 2
Language: Syrian / / 2
Language: Norman French / / 2
Area Lore: Italy / Ports / 1
Latin / / 4
Magic Theory / / 4
Parma Magica / / 1
Finesse / / 1
Penetration / / 1
Artes Liberales / / 2
Profession: Scribe / copying / 1
Dominion Lore / Pilgrimage / 1
The Enigma / / 1 (3)

Technique (Form) / Score:

Creo / 2
Intellego / 11
Muto / 2
Perdo / 2
Rego / 11

Animal
Aquam
Auram
Corpus
Herbam
Ignem
Imaginem / 1
Mentem / 1
Terram
Vim / 1

Spell / (T / F / Lvl)
Wizard's Sidestep / ReIm10
Scent of Peacefull Slumberp / ReMe20
Aura of Rightfull Authorityp / ReMe20
Posing the Silent Questionp / InMe20
Crest of the Earth Wavep / ReTe20
Pierce the Magical Veil / InVi20
Rise of the Feathery Bodyp / ReCo10

Gear

Weathered robes, boots, pilgrim's staff and hat, finger bone of St. James the Lesser, various pilgrim's badges.

Lets you perform dark magic that verges on the infernal, and makes you better at infernal magic. It also lets you ignore the warping from living in an infernal area, and use Infernal vis safely. There's some other stuff too, like allowing you to take things like Commanding, which is basically a rank in the Infernal Hierarchy that lets you boss demons around.

Hi,

Oooooo-kay. I can pretty much guarantee that if Pandolfo finds out, there will be serious friction. If everyone is ok with that, go ahead.

FMB

I do not intend to play a diabolist , although the abilities can be used that way and friction would not be unanticiaped. However Iintend to stick strictly to Necromancy and spirits of magic , bad enougth from a christian POV but not actually infernal

Theodora Ex Miscallanae
Born in 1195 to the daughter of a minor noblewoman (Marina Modene ) in the court of Constantinople and a Danish member of the varangian guard(Halvor), during the blood and chaos of the sack of the city was abducted by Helena a maga and Theban witch looking for an apprentice. Then spent her time in a covenant located in the wilds of the hills above Corinth .She never really took to the life in the wilderness missing the remembered comforts of youth in the city and was also uncomfortable with the pagan attitudes of the covenant as they did not match with the values remembered from her Christian upbringing. She was however fascinated by the study of magic and took immediately to the commanding and calling of necromantic spirits , and other mountain spirits which she now believes may have been infernal spirits. This took her through her apprenticeship and acceptance as a maga of the house. After her apprenticeship was over she was taken in hand and instructed in the secrets of the covenant and inducted into the mystery rites of the covenant. This too seemed interesting and she ignored the somewhat disturbing overtones of the cult lore until it came time for her initiation. The ceremony cumulated in what Theodora had believed naively would be a symbolic sacrifice which turned out to be a real sacrifice , believing that it would be fatal to refuse Theodora carried out the sacrifice and then at the earliest opportunity fled the covenant and Greece fleeing to Germany and choosing an urban covenant both for its comfort and protection from some of the curses thrown at her by her parens.

Virtues
Ex Misc Summoning, Affinity Vim,
Major magical focus Necromancy
Command
Improved characteristics
Puissant Command
Venus Blessing
Second Sight
Cthonic Magic

Flaws
Ex Misc Painful Magic
Enemies/Tormenting master/Diabolic Upbringing
Lecherous Minor
Hedge Wizard
Proud Minor
Major Malison Twlight Prone
Minor Malison – Will be attacked by any wild predator encountered

Int +3 Dex +1 Str -2 Com +2
Per 1 Qui 0 Sta 1 Pre +1

Skills
Greek 5
Danish 3
German 2
Area Lore Constantinople 1
Charm 3
Folk Ken 1
Stealth 1
Awareness 2
Etiquette 1
Leadership 1
Bargain 2
Intrigue 1
Survival 1
Order of Hermes Lore 1
Summon 2
Command 2
Latin 4
Artes Liberale 1
Magic Theory 3
Parma Magica 2
Penetration 1
Cthonic Magic 1
Medicine 1
Chirurgy 1

Arts
Rego 8
Intellego 5
Perdo 3
Corpus 6
Mentam 7
Vim 7

Spells
Weaken the spirit of Magic (PeVi 5)
Ring Of warding against spirits (ReMe 15)
Aura of Rightful Aithority (ReMe 20)
Coerce the spirits of the night revi25
Circular Ward vs demons ReVi 10
Lifting the Dangling Puppet ReCo 15
Whsipers through the Black gates ReCo 15
Perception of the conflicting motives InMe 15