Character Development Guidelines

Ok? If it's going to be a big deal then it should be a House Rule IMO.

Any - new spells, just to be 100% sure 1xp = 1 level for learning a spell? Or sacrifice seasons to invent one?

Again, the House Rule isn't fully formed, in other words, finished. I'll put it up when it is.
Yes, spells must be bought with XP and cost 1xp per level of spell. There is an exception to this, of stat boosting rituals, they must be invented as a lab activity.

Just checking on this...If Clement makes a Talisman, it should be made with build points plus seasons ( of course) and vis from build points?

Not exactly. For your talisman: seasons of lab work, yes. Vis from your build points, yes. Build points representing magic item enchanemts, no.

You will have to help me out. i can't find any guidance beyond what is in this thread for items which says BP).

Would it help if you read items as items other than your talisman or other items you have made? :smiley:

Short answer: you can't spend build points for your talisman directly, you spend build points for the vis you need to make your talisman, and then you take the necessary number of seasons to prepare it, attune it and instill any effects into it.

You can make any items you want (including your talisman), so long as you have the vis available to pay for it and take the time to make it. Vis is limited during character creation, and it was expected that there might be resource contention for a top notch LR, top notch familiar and a top notch talisman. But I didn't want characters to come without a nice selection of items (especially items that saw to personal comfort).

For our labs at the school, what kind of range and process is there for choosing structural virtues/flaws, and are there any which are automatic (for example, superior construction), I would assume that the top floor or basement are available in some fashion... is there a range of available sizes? Some are only available at the beginning- or a lot easier, such as gallery, or well insulated...

I'm still working on it. Probably anything that can be incorporated at construction, like a gallery or separate building are fine.
What specifically are you wanting?

For starting, Auspicious shape, superior construction, greater feature (Desk) and greater focus(desk), which gives size +1 before I do any refinement...

Rephrasing, this looks like a Size +1 lab, with auspicious shape, of superior construction with a great desk also being the greater focus. Anything that could effectively built with build points will need to come out of your build points. In this case it's the desk, which costs 20 build points. The cost is reasonable when you consider the resources necessary to install the desk (two seasons of some other magus's time). The Tremere could ask for payment for the auspicious shape, but I'm waiving that as part of the nominal construction process for the lab.

I'll install the desk later then, and keep my build points allocated as they are, so just auspicious shape and superior construction.

I'm mostly done with Fab, just not sure when to stop. He's up to 1266, one more year of study gets his Arts where i want them. The remaining things for him would be to count up the bps he's used. I believe he's in his budget, and then spend the remaining ones.

Some things to think about and this might require him to spend the bps for them. He's potentially got 4 magic items, previous Contest winners, or does he give those back? So those could be additions to his collection.

I want him to learn one more Mystery, that of reforging, and then perhaps a major mystery of Major Invested items. I just don't see Automata as too much of a thing for him. To be honest, his Arts are not really high, but as a generalist he has no weaknesses, and with all of the specialties he can pull off a decent lab total. He'd want to work on his Arts a lot while teaching as his next goal is Archmagus, and he's a farcry from that in power.

If he has to stop now, would there be any objections with me making him a bit older (basically saying he was born earlier) to basically learn the last things he needs (about 2 years total) or if he doesn't have to stop I'd advance him to 1268.

You can go another year (the special Grand Tribunal is in 1267), and change his birthday to add another year, just adjust his date of gauntlet and apprenticeship to be a year earlier if you want the XP to go to Arts and the like. Remember to do your aging roll for both years.

Will do, that should give enough time then, so one year earlier and then do the Tribunal year.

I missed this if it came up elsewhere but what are the odds we know each other? I had planned onhas taking Ealasaid into the Stonehenge Tribunal and actually visiting g Schola Pythagoras before I knew one of our Professors actually lived there. (If it matters it was supposed to be around 1245ish).

I'll leave it to the players to decide these kinds of things, so you can work it out with Renimar. Also, with the Loch Leglean aspect, you will probably know of Fiona, if not by acquaintance, then by reputation, as she's a Giant Blooded maga. There are not too many Giant Blooded magae in the Order. :wink: Peregrine_Bjornaer can clarify, but she left the Loch Leglean Tribunal on or around 1220.

As far as Fiona, based on the time she left 5 years after Ealasaid was Gauntleted and from the Tribunal with the most Giant-blooded magi, including a few Grugachan ex Miscellanea...at least according to Lion of the North.

Anyone with history in Rhine or Rome Tribunals may know of Clement as he is a Quaesitor and traveled in those Tribunals quite a bit. Or not as he tended not to announce himself if he was investigating someone.

Aye, Fiona left Loch Leglean in 1220, but has returned to visit every so often, but never for more than a season, and usually just for a few weeks (if that).

I'll rephrase...
There aren't too many Giant Blooded magi of the Order who are from Scotland and not Grugachan... :smiley: She's an ex Misc, but no one mistakes Fiona for Gruagach.