Character Development Guidelines

For reference, Ancel is originally from the Rhine Tribunal (apprenticed at Durenmar) and was there from his Gauntlet in 1227 to 1248. He then relocated to Schola Pythagoranis in Cambridge in 1248 due to House duties and remains there until 1267 (the special Grand Tribunal). He's travelled the Rhine, Stonehenge, Loch Leglean, and Hibernian Tribunals more extensively than most magi, save the Redcaps, due to his interest and research in non-Hermetic wizards. The British Isles have proven to be much more fruitful in this than the Rhine Tribunal. Ancel is relatively political and social, and would have likely visited every covenant in those four tribunals at some point in his wanderings. (At least those that practice Hermetic hospitality.) He also makes a point of heading back to Durenmar for each Grand Tribunal so if anyone else is there, he may have met you there as well. If anyone's magus wants to have met Ancel at some point in the last 40 years, that's certainly possible.

I want to do something for labs for everyone.

I was thinking of awarding a certain number of build points, but this raises some issues for those who have completed their characters. First, I was thinking of granting 80 bps worth of stuff exclusively for labs, above and beyond what has already been awarded. You can choose to either pack up the lab (take two seasons to pack it up, forgoing 10 xp per season) and 1 season of setting your lab back up. The costs associated with the move are paid for, so don't worry accounting for that. You may also have your lab moved by a magus with the Ambulatory Laboratory spell, but that does have some risks involved.
The other issue I was thinking about, but it's probably not as big a deal as I first thought is that this could raise lab totals such that other spells become available, but on the other hand, that does take experience points, and therefore isn't as big an issue as I first thought. Of course if you were close on some lab totals for enchanting, this could change things. We can figure something out, if that's the case.

Remember Each point of size in a lab uses 20 build points. Have fun. :smiley:

Clarification: Is that our personal lab, or do we have to build our "teaching" labs out of that, too?

This is your personal lab, as it might have been at your covenant prior to the start of the saga. Whether you want it to be for teaching or personal use is entirely up to you. Teachers will not have a lot of free time so having a lab that is up and running and somewhat customized is the goal here.

You will still be bound by the Upkeep limitations, so design it accordingly, or be prepared to give up some of your salary to pay for the lab(s).

An ongoing "up to date" list of house rules would be very useful. After being gone for weeks, I have to look in 5 pages of this thread, 8 pages of the House Rule thread, and some of the others just to check. This is really obnoxious and easy to forget what's going on where.

So I have to use seasons as normal to build a personal lab, correct?

No. You can use the build points I provided to make the lab, you can ignore the time commitment.

I need to go through this, there's a lot of options with that many points. Definitely need a studio and a lectern though. Aesthetics will be key I think.

But if I want to sink some seasons in and not use build points, that is fine as well?

What did you want to do with your time as far as improving your lab? These are 80 extra build points, meant to be used in your lab, if you don't use them in your lab, you lose them.

If you look over Kaltheus's seasons he's spent 5 seasons upgrading his laboratory directly. 3 Seasons refining, 2 seasons installing a Greater Feature.

Can these 80 build points be used for Enchanted Items in the lab? I ask because it seems enchanted items in the lab can give out much larger bonuses per BP than installing virtues.

Lab Proposal: The Sanctum Sanctorum of Fabrica Diabolica ex Verditius, Two time winner of the Verditian Contest and Primogeniture Lineage for House Veriditius

Greater Feature: Forge (Major 20): +2 Aesthetics, +3 Items
Gallery (Minor 10): +1 Safety, +1 Aesthetics, +1 Teaching
Studio (Free): +1-+3 Aesthetics (I suggest +2?)
Greater Feature: Wheel (Major 20): +2 Aesthetics, +3 Items
Palatial (Major 20): +1 General Quality, +3 Upkeep, +2 Health, +4 Aesthetics, +2 Teaching, +1 Items
Opulent (Minor 10): +1 Upkeep, +1 Health, +2 Aesthetics, +1 Teaching

Size: 0
Refinement: 0
General Quality: +1
Upkeep: +4
Safety: +1
Warping: 0
Health: +3
Aesthetics: +13 (Reputation: Superb Verditius Magus, 65 xp)

Specializations:
Items: +7
Teaching: +4 (Max +3)

The Upkeep is murder, but such style! You want the best, you have to pay for it.

From what I understand, Palatial is an upgrade of Opulent.

Ok...if that's the case then yeah I'd have to take another look at a minor virtue.

I don't subscribe to that. I can understand it, but palatial and opulent are different enough, IIRC. You can have an opulent palace, and you can have a palace of a beggar king.

Ah ok, won't argue then. :stuck_out_tongue:

Question:

Can these 80 build points be used for Enchanted Items in the lab? Or some limit perhaps? I ask because it seems enchanted items in the lab can give out much larger bonuses per BP than installing virtues.

I'd have to see the items. Certain virtues have a flexibility that items can't necessarily provide.

How about this?

20 BP = Magical Warning Device ( Detection effect of wind, flying/falling objects or the beginning of something overheating:
InAuHeIgTe 30 Base 3, Touch +1, Momentary+0, Room +2, requisites +3 unlimited uses +10
linked to warning effect
CrIm 17 Base 1, Voice +2, complexity +1 <-different sound per type of warning unlimited uses +10, linked effect +3, )

Net Effect
Safety +2

Or:

30 BP Mirror of Contemplation: ( Two effects: InMe 41 base 25, Eye +1, unlimited +10, Penetration +1 which triggers CrIm 33 Base 3, Diameter +1, Complexity +4, unlimited +10, triggered +3 - the Mir) When the a person gazes upon this large mirror, a large metaphorical dream scape is created based on the viewers mind to help them solve a problem on their mind. Creo +3, Mentem +4

That seems a little too universal, imo. And I'm not sure an Intellego Herbam (for example), with Terram, Auram, and Ignem requisites would detect either a plant, or a breeze, or sudden heat. Actually, I'm not sure what it would detect. I think this would be better broken down into separate Intellego effects, with an accompanying CrIm effect for each one.

Also, I think Momentary duration would only detect said thingies if they were present at the time of casting, as opposed to constantly scanning, basically. That would be better as Sun duration, with 2 uses a day and an Environmental trigger (per the insert on p. 99), with the device maintaining concentration.

Perhaps some like this:

• Detect the Encroaching Vine: InHe 15 (base 2?, R: Touch +1, D: Sun +2, T: Room +2) to detect the presence of any Herbam products entering the Area of Effect. The device would have Environmental Trigger (+3) and, oh, let's call it 2 uses a day (+1). At 2 uses a day, the Enchantment Level is 19, which would be 8 BP and use 2 pawns of vis.
  • Detect the Wayward Wind: InAu 15 (Base 2, everything else numbers-wise exactly as above) would detect any stray breezes caused by...an open window? The bamf of a teleporting mage? shrug Enchantment Level 19, 2 pawns, 8 BP.
  • Detect the Stray Spark: InIg 10 (Base 1, everything else blah blah blah) to detect any heat or fire in the room. With Environmental Trigger and 2 uses a day, the Enchantment Level would be 14, which would be 2 pawns of vis and 6 BP.
  • Detect the Belligerent Boulder: InTe 15 (Base 2? And you know the math drill by now :smiley: ). 2 pawns of vis, 8 BP.

Which actually comes out to 30 BP for what I think you wanted it to do, as far as the detection goes.

On the Klaxon thing, I think it would be R: Personal, not R: Voice, since devices must either use the wielder's voice or make a faux voice themselves, and the sound would be coming from the device the effect is in.

So...CrIm 3 (Base 1, R: Personal, D: Diameter +1, T: Individual, +1 Size) which would make a noise ten times louder than what an individual person could make, for two minutes. Annoying as all get-out, but effective. Unlimited uses (+10) to be on the [strike]paranoid[/strike] safe side, Linked Trigger +3, for a final Enchantment Level of 16 per variant, which is 2 pawns and 8 BP each. Four different triggers, four different Imaginem effects, would be 8 pawns and 32 BP.

Grand total for this thing would be 16 pawns of vis and 62 BP, near as I can tell.

Does a mirror have eyes with which to make eye contact? Perhaps Touch, the magus must touch the mirror to begin the Imagining. Same modifier for Eye and Touch. 1 point in Penetration only gives it a Penetration of 2, which is...rather ineffective. If the magus were to simply suppress his Parma when he touches the mirror? Effect level 30 (Base 25, R: Touch +1, D: Momentary, T: Individual). Enchantment Level would be 40 instead of 41 without the Penetration.

The Dreamscape effect (which is, actually, pretty kewl) affects three senses? Sight, Sound, and...Smell? So, Base 3, R: Personal, D: Diameter +1, T: Individual, Complexity +3, for a final Effect Level of 15. Unlimited Uses and Linked Trigger gives an Enchantment Level of 28, for 3 pawns and 12 BP.

Did I mention that I really like this concept?

I'm generally with PB regarding the safety item. Duration of the safety item should probably be D:Concentration, Item maintains concentration with environmental triggers of sunrise/sunset for a permanent scanning. Even then, it still isn't too helpful, because with falling objects, you're unlikely be able to act before whatever just started falling reaches the ground. It might work with wind/overheating, but you'll have to set a baseline as to what overheating is, and if you have fires hotter than that, then you have the klaxon going off (think of a red alert warning sound not being shut off). I think it actually needs to do something besides warning. PeIg to stop overheating, ReTe(Requisites) to stop stuff from falling, etc.

I do like the Mirror of Contemplation. I'm not sure Creo is an appropriate specialization for this device, though. I understand it's creating a rather complex illusion, but the stated purpose of the mirror isn't to create new things, but to understand. I think Intellego, Mentem and Imaginem are the correct Arts. The creation of the illusion of the Dreamscape is actually replicating what's in the person's mind, what the person can already imagine, creation is a means to an end here, not an end.